Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,024 members, 7,818,027 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:18 AM

Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? (20370 Views)

Giving Out Young Children (girls) As Maids - Your Take On This / Parents With Young Children And Phones / Is It Wise For Parents To Bath With Their Young Children (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by aloyemeka2: 1:34am On Aug 31, 2011
Child Abuse Is Alive And Well In Nigeria - SMH

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdstone/20520667/
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by EuroMeko(m): 1:56am On Aug 31, 2011
A beautiful picture.

What you call child abuse I call survival.

Those look like well fed kids, certainly well dressed. I've seen kids in the US that are far worse.

Before you start sullying the terminology "child abuse" be careful so you don't water it down for those kids who are really facing abuse.

1 Like

Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by Sissy3(f): 8:42am On Aug 31, 2011
EuroMeko:

A beautiful picture.

Those look like well fed kids, certainly well dressed. I've seen kids in the US that are far worse.

Before you start sullying the terminology "child abuse" be careful so you don't water it down for those kids who are really facing abuse.

beautiful picture ke?

those kids should be doing something else that kids their AGE are doing.
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by manakeagie: 9:49am On Aug 31, 2011
I agree with you sissy Those Children dont go to class much as they look health , at that age i expect them at school, seriously we need to do some thing about Child Abuse in Nigeria, i am so not happy
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by ShipIt(m): 10:23am On Aug 31, 2011
It's not necessarily child abuse by Nigerian standards, its a means of family livelihood. But according to western standards this can be considered child abuse as these children are being deprived of their right to an education and a worry free childhood. Funny though considerg that Michael Jackson and other child celebrities also started work at a similar age. The difference is that they weren't selling moin moin on their heads.
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by ifyalways(f): 10:31am On Aug 31, 2011
ShipIt:

It's not necessarily child abuse by Nigerian standards, its a means of family livelihood. But according to western standards this can be considered child abuse as these children are being deprived of their right to an education and a worry free childhood. Funny though considerg that Michael Jackson and other child celebrities also started work at a similar age. The difference is that they weren't selling moin moin on their heads.
Co-signed.

If those kids hawk after school and their parents don't just lay back at home making more babies but sweating it out somewhere else then its survival.

The trays on their heads is neither  too big nor the load too heavy for their age,they are prolly hawking it for their mom.

However,hawking as opposed to sitting in a stall exposes the kids to many vices,dangers and crime.Who knows,their mom,can't afford to pay for a stall yet hence hawking undecided
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by velo10: 10:33am On Aug 31, 2011
Their parents/guardians should be jailed immediately and the government should do something better about their welfare.

Nigeria lacks proper child welfare organisations. That's why things could aggravate to this.
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by ifyalways(f): 10:37am On Aug 31, 2011
velo10:

[b]Their parents/guardians should be jailed immediatel[/b]y and the government should do something better about their welfare.

Nigeria lacks proper child welfare organisations. That's why things could aggravate to this.
Easy please.

When they get jailed what happens to the kids?You abi your govt wuold do what for them?ship them to Cotonou as child slaves 

When was the last time you visited any of the govt. ran orphanage home and/or juvenile center?

1 Like

Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by whyMMM: 10:42am On Aug 31, 2011
Damit boy angry

why is 9ja dat wicked? angry
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by Barrywhite8620: 10:46am On Aug 31, 2011
EuroMeko:

A beautiful picture.

SEE UR MOUTH LIKE BEAUTIFUL PICTURE sad
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by MissyB3(f): 11:03am On Aug 31, 2011
EuroMeko:

A beautiful picture.

ShipIt:

!!!
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by badmrkt(m): 11:08am On Aug 31, 2011
did i hear sumbdy said dia modas shud b jailed?oh dear hw cud u b so inhumane?dis kids r hostlas,wht do u guys expct 4rm a coun3 whos gvt has no respct 4 CHILD RIGHT ACT, even whn it is enactd?pls if u cn help dem pls do it n u'll b greatly rewarded?GOD BLESS THESE CHILDREN!!!!!
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by morzook(m): 11:08am On Aug 31, 2011
moin-moin can never be that fat,
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by White007(m): 11:44am On Aug 31, 2011
It amounts to child abuse. But let's not forget that this is Nigeria. Their parents might not have the financial means to send them to school, hence they hawk to supplement what their parents earns. Maybe, they sell the moin-moin after school, who know?
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by Somagirl(f): 11:47am On Aug 31, 2011
I just want to bury my head in a pillow and  never wake up to face the world again, when I look at pictures like these.

But in reality not everyone can afford to have a happy childhood and circumstances that befall some children in the world just breaks my heart.

Also, this is a very sad documentary based on child slavery in the chocolate industry and might bring light to some of you consumers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJMe7fdfEEQ
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by warrior101: 12:01pm On Aug 31, 2011
Is it a crime not to give birth to a child if there no means to take care of them yet? We are over populated and poor. Too bad
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by ZE: 12:18pm On Aug 31, 2011
this could have been after school or during holidays.

don't forget that most kids who grew up under this condition come out tops in adulthood compared to most bread and butter kids.

Dangote who is the highest employer of labor in nigeria almost  started like this.

personally i do not encourage this but if its the only means of survival for those families, its better than armed robbery,  prostitution or allowing those
kids die of hunger.

I've seen so many places on top of lagos bridge where a woman and sometimes up to 4 kids all begging alms on top of the bridge.
on a closer look you will discover that they are not physically or mentally deformed.

compare the 2 scenario and tell us which should be encouraged.
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by Nobody: 12:57pm On Aug 31, 2011
when was this picture taken? just look @ the clothes they're wearing, it's so old skool! i'm guessing mid to late 80s or are there people so poor they kept their childhood clothing for their kids?
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by NatGas(m): 1:24pm On Aug 31, 2011
Yes its Child Abuse, but these kids might still be in school and do this after school hers and support the family.which is more abusive to hawk or to be given out to marriage to a man old enough to be their grand father cos from the look of the pix I think they are from the north or north-west.
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by velo10: 1:39pm On Aug 31, 2011
Yeah I said the parents/guardians should be jailed. A child does not deserve to go through such trauma at early stages of their lives like this. These children are far too underaged to begin this work. What the parents are doing is using the children to make money for themselves at such an early age. Well Nigeria is not a civilized society yet for a proper address to this issue
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by enomakos(m): 1:45pm On Aug 31, 2011
damm it they are just too young
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by warrior101: 2:12pm On Aug 31, 2011
why do people keep making babies when they can not afford their up bringing?
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by Gemma11: 2:15pm On Aug 31, 2011
velo10:

Yeah I said the parents/guardians should be jailed. A child does not deserve to go through such trauma at early stages of their lives like this. These children are far too underaged to begin this work. What the parents are doing is using the children to make money for themselves at such an early age. Well Nigeria is not a civilized society yet for a proper address to this issue

Its funny how some Nigerians are acting brand new and fresh about this picture like it is shocking. Millions of kids hawk theri wares every freaking day in all parts of Nigeria. Do you feign shock and horror then or is it for show only when you come on the internet.

Just because the West calls it child abuse it doesn't mean it is.

Looking at that picture I certainly don't see any child abuse. What I see are three healthy children selling their wares. We shoudn't make assumptions that they are doing so during school hours. They are helping their families get ahead and in the meantine learning the basics of business 101. For all we know we could be looking at the next 'Dangote' here

1 Like

Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by Nobody: 2:16pm On Aug 31, 2011
dis r d kind of innocent  kids dat fall victims of rape by some animals in human clothing.dis kids r less dan six n should still b singing rhymes or pplaying with sand in front of their parents house.unfortunately some of dem get pregnant tru rape b4 fourteen n dey sink into more poverty.misery n depression/low self esteem take over.no one to marry dem because dey r so abused n die livin an unfulfilled n unproductive life.is someone thinking at all.n some men will stat shouting there r no more virgins in naija,(just d same way paedophiles n warped men r on d loose,brot into d world by kialess mothers who dint bring dem up like a human beings n d trend goes on n on angry angry angry angry angry angry wot a pitiable condition. i dont know wot ministry of education,ministry for youths n sports is doing,yet we say we have a govt.if we dont know we r livin in a jungle.d only tin dey know how to do is to flaunt dis crazy selfs in city people n boast of how much moni dey spent on parties angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by Fhemmmy: 2:18pm On Aug 31, 2011
The parents of this kids should be dealt with . . . .Like i have said many times, if you cant take care of them, dont have them . . . .they dont deserve all these
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by atasteve: 2:24pm On Aug 31, 2011
If you don't feel anything for the kids in the pix, imagine your kids doing the same thing shocked We need to arise in our little ways to assist kids in our vicinity/under our influence and government pls arise to your responsibilities.
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by Elpieda: 2:31pm On Aug 31, 2011
Why would any proper thinking parent put their 5 year old young girl on the streets of Lagos or any other street for that matter to hawk and someone comes here and says its survival, If the next thing we hear on the news is that these young girls are kidnapped and sold into prostitution or that they were raped by the agberos on the street then what will you say?Do you know how damaging that is to the kid and just because it is so common doesn't mean it is ok, GOSH

Why can't the grown parents hawk themselves and leave the kids with trusted neighbors to take care of themEven if its after school hours, are they not supposed to be home doing homeworkAnd then people will now be complaining that our universities are producing half baked students, Dont you know this is how it starts?Just look at how unhappy these little girls are, They are wayyyy too young to be involved in this, I have never supported children hawking the streets and I will never support it because too many times I have seen how these  kids get mistreated,

But what can one do, The government has nothing in place to take care of the welfare of kids, We keep saying we are not like the west, we are not like the west but I think it is high time we adopt some of the things the western government do to protect the welfare of children and of citizens in general, THis should not be happening, No child should go through this, Survival my A--s--s
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by warrior101: 2:32pm On Aug 31, 2011
Gemma11:

Its funny how some Nigerians are acting brand new and fresh about this picture like it is shocking. Millions of kids hawk theri wares every freaking day in all parts of Nigeria. Do you feign shock and horror then or is it for show only when you come on the internet.

Just because the West calls it child abuse it doesn't mean it is.

Looking at that picture I certainly don't see any child abuse. What I see are three healthy children selling their wares. We shoudn't make assumptions that they are doing so during school hours. They are helping their families get ahead and in the meantine learning the basics of business 101. For all we know we could be looking at the next 'Dangote' here

After they help their parents as kids then they also help their parents when they are old right? This is as a result of poverty and it is unacceptable. People should not give birth to many children when they have no means of training them. I say their parents be dealt with.
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by SirMethod: 2:36pm On Aug 31, 2011
What have u all done to avoid these things from happening. let's all look inward. How many kids have we sent home from the street/highways from hawking by just paying for what they sell. What so ever on that tray may be would not cost upto a thousand naira (6$).  let's start the revolution!
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by EuroMeko(m): 2:45pm On Aug 31, 2011
~Sissy~:

beautiful picture ke?

those kids should be doing something else that kids their AGE are doing.

Yes, beautiful picture, from an artistic viewpoint.

I agree with you that I would rather have the kid sin school or doing other kid stuff but this is not child abuse in it's definition.
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by Gemma11: 2:47pm On Aug 31, 2011
warrior101:

After they help their parents as kids then they also help their parents when they are old right? This is as a result of poverty and it is unacceptable. People should not give birth to many children when they have no means of training them. I say their parents be dealt with.

Going on about why their parents shouldn't have given birth to them in irrelevant. The fact is the kids are here and they need to work for their own survival. This is not a new phenomenon in Nigeria so as I said I don't know why people are assuming the worst when the look at the picture.
Re: Picture Of Young Children Hawking Moin-Moin: Child Abuse? by Fhemmmy: 2:47pm On Aug 31, 2011
atasteve:

If you don't feel anything for the kids in the pix, imagine your kids doing the same thing shocked We need to arise in our little ways to assist kids in our vicinity/under our influence and government pls arise to your responsibilities.

You have said it all

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Return Of The NL FAMILY SECTION DEACTIVATORS! / Would You Choose A Good Marriage Over Career? / 6 Ways To Be A Better Listener

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.