Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,614 members, 7,827,309 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:25 AM

Peeling Beans - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Peeling Beans (19112 Views)

Pls What Else Can I Use To Grind Beans For Moi Moi Apart From Grinding Machine? / The Kenwood Potato Peeler Versus Hand Peeling / Melon (egwusi) Peeling Machine--- Newly Constructed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Peeling Beans by MissIfe(f): 8:16am On Aug 31, 2011
I love moin moin, akara and co, but peeling the beans is such a headache! So, I was thinking, maybe there's something I'm doing wrong? How do you peel beans? How long does it take you? Any "secret" to make it easy and fast?

Many thanks !
Re: Peeling Beans by Misbee(f): 9:57am On Aug 31, 2011
Such is life.'Sise koro jije ofe'
Before u start such tin u too should knw dat it involves stressful process.
Atimes,it depends on d type of beans u are using,sum are easy while sum can b difficult.
So if u knw u want d moin moin or wateva 2 b ready in abt 3hrs time,soak d beans inside warm water abt an hour b4 dat time,by den d beans wud have becum soft n it wil b easy 2 do or remove d back.
Re: Peeling Beans by MissyB3(f): 10:27am On Aug 31, 2011
I soak the beans in warm water overnight and the next day wash by 'peeling' off skin. This take about 15-20 minutes. The stress that comes with preparing moin-moin.
Re: Peeling Beans by MissIfe(f): 8:17pm On Aug 31, 2011
That is more or less what I'm doing, maybe I should soak them for a longer time though. As for the peeling, do you also just kind of "scrub" them together and rinse them until they are peeled?

I've heard we can buy some already peeled beans but can't find any where i'm staying, have you tried that before?
Re: Peeling Beans by MissyB3(f): 8:37pm On Aug 31, 2011
Miss_Ife:

That is more or less what I'm doing, maybe I should soak them for a longer time though. As for the peeling, do you also just kind of "scrub" them together and rinse them until they are peeled?

I've heard we can buy some already peeled beans but can't find any where i'm staying,  have you tried that before?
Perhaps, you should soak for a longer time.  Yes, I ''squeeze'' and continuously change water until the beans is clean.
No, I always wash my beans myself. . .I've never used the already peeled or ground one.

**This happens to be a Miss(es) thread** #justthinking  grin
Re: Peeling Beans by armyofone(m): 8:41pm On Aug 31, 2011
what are you soaking for a long time grin, abeg get mortar and pestle and pound yeye out of the beans grin
i don't soak mine. i just pour the amount i want in the mortar, add some water to it and pound.
sometimes i soak it for 10minute and then pound. I get my bean washed in 15 mins.

2 Likes

Re: Peeling Beans by MissyB3(f): 8:42pm On Aug 31, 2011
armyofone:

what are you soaking for a long time  grin, abeg get mortar and pestle and pound yeye out of the beans grin
i don't soak mine. i just pour the amount i want in the mortar, add some water to it and pound.
sometimes i soak it for 10minute and then pound. get my bean washed in 15 mins.
shocked shocked Never heard of this one and besides, I nor get mortar here. embarassed
Re: Peeling Beans by armyofone(m): 8:47pm On Aug 31, 2011
oh well, my mom sent me a small mortar and pestle,a mini mortar and pestle and it does a great job for my beans. all the reason why i make moin moin and akara any how grin
sweet mother.
Re: Peeling Beans by MissIfe(f): 10:31am On Sep 01, 2011
@armyofone, I can get mortar and pestle here, but if your beans are crashed into small pieces, don't you lose some bits going with the peels as you rinse them?
Re: Peeling Beans by armyofone(m): 2:48pm On Sep 01, 2011
Hi Miss. Ife,

first, the mortar i use is a mini mortar and pestle. one that can sit on my kitchen counter.
actually, you crush by moving the pestle around the bean inside the mortar. you don't pound like pounding yam grin how do i explain it now  grin
if you have mini mortar and pestle, you soak the bean for like 10 to 15mins. then pour the soaked bean inside the mortar and crush (not pound  wink) crush till you see the skin peeling off which is just a few mins. Note that the longer you soak the bean (if using mortar) the more your bean breaks into bits. so don't soak for more than 30mins. after crushing my beans, some break out in halves while the rest remain whole and it's all good while rinsing them. few that come into the sieve, i pick out. so easy  wink

1st try, don't give up. by the time you start using MM&P, you will love it, wash and make moin moin and akara all the time and in nano second  cheesy. really it is easier than all the other ways of peeling black eye beans.

2 Likes

Re: Peeling Beans by MissIfe(f): 3:18pm On Sep 01, 2011
armyofone, this is the secret I was looking for grin

I will try to get mortar and pestle, it might take me some time though, and see how it works. Will let you know when I do (can't wait to eat akara and moin moin every week smiley )
Re: Peeling Beans by armyofone(m): 3:26pm On Sep 01, 2011
you definitely will. just get your MM&P and you are set. again, 1st timer with MM&P, take it easy with yourself wink
i can just wake up one morning and want fresh akara, fiam, off to my beans and mortar at 7am. by 7:30am, already wacking grin grin
Re: Peeling Beans by tpia5: 4:06pm On Sep 01, 2011
Re: Peeling Beans by tpia5: 4:11pm On Sep 01, 2011
Re: Peeling Beans by armyofone(m): 5:43pm On Sep 01, 2011
tpia, nice one there with Mr. Oliver. my MM&P is much bigger than those but not as big as regular one for pounding iyan.

the food processor idea is good too.
Re: Peeling Beans by tpia5: 5:45pm On Sep 01, 2011
^^i couldnt find anything for the op, on peeling beans with mortar.

that was the closest i think.

i usually peel mine by hand but i remember we might have used mortar for "ase".
Re: Peeling Beans by armyofone(m): 5:55pm On Sep 01, 2011
yeah, my peeling with hand is just too long. so i dont do it as i don't have the time. i was just gisting with my mom once that i missed eating moin moin cuz of the process. when she saw my coursemate in nig, she bought mini mortar and pestle and sent them to me thru her. so far so good.
Re: Peeling Beans by tpia5: 6:31pm On Sep 01, 2011
^^nice.
Re: Peeling Beans by baby4u2(f): 7:43pm On Sep 01, 2011
You can also put the beans with a little water in the blender. Don't blend like you are trying to grind the beans, blend the beans with the grate key. Just press it on and off (I mean immediately, that is 1 or 2 seconds, cause awon boys will leave the thing to go grin). Like press the grate key at least three times, then pour it out and start washing. When you get the hang of it, you'll become a pro., and you can eliminate the soaking part. The blender supplements for mortar for those that dont have it. But check a local african store they should have a small mortar.

1 Like

Re: Peeling Beans by Iranoladun(f): 8:17pm On Sep 01, 2011
@poster
Soak the beans for 10 to 15 minutes and start rubbing them together. The beans skin should come off easily. The longer you soak the beans the more difficult to peel.

I usually do the peeling in the evening and after cleaning/peeling all the beans I will soak them in water overnight (about 8 hours) then blend with a Blender for Akara or Moin moin.

Unless you are peeling lots of beans you really don't need mortal & pestle (although the exercise is good for your muscle). You can also try grating the beans gently with the Blender as suggested by another poster.

Good luck in your Akara & Moin Moin recipe

1 Like

Re: Peeling Beans by MissyB3(f): 8:37pm On Sep 01, 2011
Iranoladun:

@poster
Soak the beans for 10 to 15 minutes and start rubbing them together. The beans skin should come off easily. The longer you soak the beans the more difficult to peel.
I usually do the peeling in the evening and after cleaning/peeling all the beans I will soak them in water overnight (about 8 hours) then blend with a Blender for Akara or Moin moin.

Unless you are peeling lots of beans you really don't need mortal & pestle (although the exercise is good for your muscle). You can also try grating the beans gently with the Blender as suggested by another poster.

Good luck in your Akara & Moin Moin recipe
I could have sworn the reverse is the case.
Re: Peeling Beans by MissIfe(f): 6:49am On Sep 02, 2011
Many good advices here, will try with the blender until I can get a mortar and pestle. I always cook "big" amounts of food, it seems the more I cook, the more they eat, sometimes I make soup to last for few days, next thing I know, it's already gone! shocked

As for the soaking, I also thought it would be easier if the beans are soaked for a longer time. It seems it is still necessary to soak them for few hours to use the blender to peel them (on the video the lady says they soaked for several hours).
Re: Peeling Beans by Iranoladun(f): 10:31am On Sep 02, 2011
@Miss*B
The beans skin get soft first if you soak for 15 minutes with luke warm water hence they are easy to peel whether by hand, blender or mortar and pestle.

I make Akara or Moin Moin on the average of 3 times per week so I know. Its after removing the skin that you soak for a long time 6-8 hours in preparation for blending/grinding
Re: Peeling Beans by MissyB3(f): 10:54am On Sep 02, 2011
Ah! I see! Maybe I should try washing after the first 15 minutes to see. Good thing if it works for me, less work smiley
Plus, am I the only one that does not soak again after removing the skin?

BTW, the first 5 steps are exactly my method -> http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2009/01/moin-moin-nigerian-savory-black-eyed.html
Re: Peeling Beans by Harold519: 9:10am On Sep 28, 2012
Hi, Is there any machine which can peel the bean. Why not invent some machine to do that, haha
Re: Peeling Beans by gide: 12:51pm On Sep 29, 2012
armyofone: what are you soaking for a long time grin, abeg get mortar and pestle and pound yeye out of the beans grin
sometimes i soak it for 10minute and then pound. get my bean washed in 15 mins.

thats the easiest way to wash beans, cos i hate washing beans so much, i usually pound it in large quantity, when i remove it from the morter i dry it in the sun, once its dry i rub the beans with my hands, put it on a round try and blow out the back, then i store in a cool dry place, whenever i wanna make moi moi or akara i just take the quantity i need rinse it out and soak for a few hours b/4 grinding.

1 Like

Re: Peeling Beans by dominique(f): 4:59pm On Sep 29, 2012
Those of you soaking beans overnight or over an hour, I dont know what kind of beans y'all are using (I use 'Drum' btw). I agree with iranoladun, the longer you soak the beans, the more difficult it is to peel. The beans soaks up water, becomes too soft and breaks as i peel. I usually soak my beans in lukewarm water for about 15 mins and the peel comes off immediately. the entire process takes another 15 mins or so. I will never forget the day i left beans soaking for over an hour to attend to a visitor. Peeling was HELL.

1 Like

Re: Peeling Beans by tjskii(f): 9:30pm On Sep 29, 2012
Haba peeling beans no be wahala at all o,its all bout timing,I soak the beans(brown beans)for 5mins only(yea I actually time it) then wash,and immedately the back starts coming off,another trick is to kip changing d water as d peel comes off the beans,it makes the beans less slimy and easier to wash

Anoda trick to washing is for u to make a fist with ur left hand and then with ur right hand scoop the beans in ur palm and rub hard over the fist
Re: Peeling Beans by minute(f): 6:04am On Sep 30, 2012
I concur, just blanch them in cold water and the peels come off really easily.
Re: Peeling Beans by Recoverd(f): 7:08pm On Sep 30, 2012
pick stones outta the beans and blend in a blender. Dont blend to powder form just to pieces, them put in a bowl of water and all the rubber floats up. Pick it out and your beans is ready to grind.
Re: Peeling Beans by Harold519: 4:56am On Oct 09, 2012
peel skin off the bean by hand, it is really boring. Those days I have found one machine which can peel bean, and i share the photo for you guys for your opinions, haha

Re: Peeling Beans by bolorunfem(f): 3:51pm On Mar 15, 2013
Harold519: peel skin off the bean by hand, it is really boring. Those days I have found one machine which can peel bean, and i share the photo for you guys for your opinions, haha

@Harold, thot you were going to post the machine's pix as well. Can u pls do? I peel my beans easily with blender. Let's see if this your machine can perform better than blender.

@All, has anyone tried peeling dry beans with blender as in getting the result above?

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Make Nigerian Meatpie: Full Steps, Methods And Ingredient Required / Safest Container For Moimoi Healthwise (leaf, Nylon, Tin, Aluminium Cups?) / Moi Moi Recipe: How To Make Nigerian Moi Moi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.