Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,696 members, 7,820,432 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:41 PM

Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking (9970 Views)

Nigerian Lady Loses Job Offer Because She Has A Big Tummy (Photo) / An Investment Banking Career: A Thread for Questions, Advice & Vacancies / The Recruitment Process Of The Big Four Accounting Firms In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by Olumaeme: 1:40pm On Dec 19, 2022
If you are looking at cashing out now, investment banking, but if you are looking at building a long term career, go for Audit in the big 4, after 3 years, you have upper hand more than 90% of the people in your field.

You see, the name of the place or prestige of the institution you worked for or trained is very important to growth that is why you will see some vacancies carrying EXPERIENCE IN REPUTABLE ORGANISATIONS.

If you submit your CV to anywhere with Havard University will you compare it with Ogun state University or MTN Nigeria to Gollibe Communications.

1 Like

Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by Emmasquare2: 1:40pm On Dec 19, 2022
I have worked for a Big 4 firm and an investment bank. I then left to pursue an MBA in the US and I’m now working for a global management consulting firm in the US. I say all this not to brag but to let you know that I am well versed in professional services and my experience runs the gamut.

I will strongly advise you to join the investment bank. Consider the following things:
1. The bank will offer you significantly more exit opportunities that a big 4 firm, especially if you decide to leave the country (I am talking about real opportunities that will make you blow, not opportunities that will make you earn 35,000 pounds in the UK)
2. A lot of people in big 4 want to leave for investment banking but I have hardly seen someone at a reasonable investment bank that wants to go to a big 4 firm
3. Not all investment banks are created equal. Check that the investment bank is run professionally (what is the profile of the partners), and use LinkedIn to check current employees (ideally you want the bank to have current employees who used to work in a big 4 firm).

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by Alajiki(m): 1:44pm On Dec 19, 2022
NDakota:
If I were you, I'd choose investment banking.

You'll get bored with the dull, repetitive work in tax at a Big 4. And, your exit options are just too damn limited.

Even audit has better exit options.

Investment banking is where the money, the learning, and the intellectual challenges are!

Don't do some rote regulatory work. You add little value to society...

Perfect submission. I was going to say exactly this. Kudos.
Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by tempex88(m): 1:45pm On Dec 19, 2022
H2ho:

CFA now

Investment banking will guarantee global experience if you have a CFA. Will pay you more in the long run and I believe you are a smart person to have gotten the job.

Tax is a bit local but not like it can not be globalized. Experience in big 4 is second to none, if you focused, you will grow very first but not as rich as an experienced investment banker except you are a Partner.

Note my advice did not consider passion but financial and career reward.

In the end, decision is yours but you are on the right path either way.

I use to do tax in big 4 but left 2016.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by TheGift: 1:47pm On Dec 19, 2022
lajid:
Pls I need opinions on the above subject matter.

I want to choose a career path...

Either one, you will work and decently paid, But which aligns more with your passion and talents? That's the one you should go for.
Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by odaniel1(m): 1:48pm On Dec 19, 2022
Better opt for investment banking and leave that boring tax ish alone. You have Client Services, Investment operations and Portfolio Management as departments you can delve into with a minimum wage of N200k. Be wise..

1 Like

Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by TheGift: 1:51pm On Dec 19, 2022
odaniel1:
Better opt for investment banking and leave that boring tax ish alone. You have Client Services, Investment operations and Portfolio Management as departments you can delve into with a minimum wage of N200k. Be wise..

Tax may be boring for you but not for others.

1 Like

Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by Encyclopedia1: 1:51pm On Dec 19, 2022
Jejely go for Tax with the Big Four. I still regret not doing that today.
Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by tctrills: 1:52pm On Dec 19, 2022
lajid:

It is a big mistake to tell people to choose or suggest a career for you. You can ask to know more about the professions. There are successful people in all professions so you should ask for insights into the 2 professions and make a choice based on your interests and personality.

2 Likes

Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by bewla(m): 1:54pm On Dec 19, 2022
lajid:

What we chose for youat not be your part

Ask God for diretion he sees all ahead
Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by Cutehector(m): 1:58pm On Dec 19, 2022
70FullyBack:
Tinubu must never be allowed to become President

That is all that matters
as in eh.. All these ones they are asking doesnt even matter.

1 Like

Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by bobchigar(m): 1:58pm On Dec 19, 2022
It depends on your career vision and how quick you want to make money in life. If you want to grow rapidly financially with low self improvement, choosing investment Bank job is likely going to fetch you that faster than Tax Job in one of the big4.
If you choose Tax Job in one of the big4, you may grow slowly financially but you will grow rapidly with professional competence which in the long run may land you in a prestige that can translate to secure you a very good job or engagement that will be very good financially.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by mikeapollo: 2:09pm On Dec 19, 2022
lajid:

I would advise you go for a Big 4 firm.
The knowledge and exposure you will get is far better than what an investment bank would offer you.
Remember that the Big 4 have clients in different sectors and cities across Nigeria. The pay may not be fantastic, but the long-term benefit is great. But you have to be ready to write and pass either ICAN or ACCA.
A 5-10 years experience in a Big 4 could catapult you to work anywhere in the world.
I know about 10 people from Big 4 firms who now live and work abroad, and were employed directly from Nigeria.

Investment banking would be great if only you write and pass the CFA exams. But Nigerian banks are never reliable so you still have to work and pray that you don't get retrenched and laid off.

2 Likes

Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by Nobody: 2:17pm On Dec 19, 2022
NDakota:

You'll get bored with the dull, repetitive work in tax at a Big 4. And, your exit options are just too damn limited.

Investment banking is where the money, the learning, and the intellectual challenges are!

Best advice so far.

1 Like

Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by Herrmes: 2:20pm On Dec 19, 2022
Emmasquare2:
I have worked for a Big 4 firm and an investment bank. I then left to pursue an MBA in the US and I’m now working for a global management consulting firm in the US. I say all this not to brag but to let you know that I am well versed in professional services and my experience runs the gamut.

I will strongly advise you to join the investment bank. Consider the following things:
1. The bank will offer you significantly more exit opportunities that a big 4 firm, especially if you decide to leave the country (I am talking about real opportunities that will make you blow, not opportunities that will make you earn 35,000 pounds in the UK)
2. A lot of people in big 4 want to leave for investment banking but I have hardly seen someone at a reasonable investment bank that wants to go to a big 4 firm
3. Not all investment banks are created equal. Check that the investment bank is run professionally (what is the profile of the partners), and use LinkedIn to check current employees (ideally you want the bank to have current employees who used to work in a big 4 firm).
What does one need to work in an investment bank.

1 Like

Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by AdeMoss: 2:23pm On Dec 19, 2022
There is better chance of making legit millions in Investment Banking. Investment bankers are the only ones that can earn more than Treasurers and I'm not talking about salary. I have a friend whose first bonus was ₦20m, and that was 5 years ago.
Tax is office job with easy less risk.

4 Likes

Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by RingRoadMafia: 3:05pm On Dec 19, 2022
Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by Annahh(f): 3:05pm On Dec 19, 2022
Become an investment banker. I know people that left big4 to become investment bankers. There is money in that career. Get ready to pass your CFA sha.

2 Likes

Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by Annahh(f): 3:06pm On Dec 19, 2022
AdeMoss:
There is better chance of making legit millions in Investment Banking. Investment bankers are the only ones that can earn more than Treasurers and I'm not talking about salary. I have a friend whose first bonus was ₦20m, and that was 5 years ago.
Tax is office job with easy less risk.
Exactly. Big 4 will just stress you with workload and small pay.

1 Like

Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by Gifted77: 3:18pm On Dec 19, 2022
Go for Investments Banking if indeed you want to call constantly grow and exercise your intellect.
Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by Danielrex(m): 3:45pm On Dec 19, 2022
Hello Bro
i recommend that you go for Tax, not even cause of the service line but because of the Big 4 Advantage.
I am currently an applicant to 2 of the Big 4s and from my knowledge, working in a Big $ give you a comprehensive perspective and insight into the world of finance and by extension the economy.
Working in a Big 4 firm gives you access, access to contemporaries and more experienced persons in the same line of service s you, and also others in different lines.
Starting as a Tax Associate in a big 4 means that you literally get to know all there's to know about tax, believe this knowledge would be give you an edge even in investment banking.
Investment banking doesn't really relate to Tax, but Tax definitely relates to Investment banking.
On a finally note, go into tax, get the experience and the exposure, if you still feel investment banking is the deal for you, then you can get your CFA and move to Strategy and Transactions Unit in a Big 4 firm, or in a different investment banking firm.
This is just my opinion.

1 Like

Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by Danielrex(m): 3:50pm On Dec 19, 2022
From Tax, you could go into Consulting, Consulting to SAT, SAT to Investment Banking
Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by Nobody: 3:58pm On Dec 19, 2022
Buharidgeneral:
Go for tax . A lot to benefit
What are the benefits if I may ask?

I work with Edo State Board of Internal Revenue before I resigned and If you don't have the following certificate, just forget about promotion:

ICAN (Institute of Chartered Accountant Of Nigeria)

ANAN (Association of National Accountant of Nigeria)

CITN (Chartered Institute of Taxation of Nigeria)

1 Like

Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by chloride6: 4:06pm On Dec 19, 2022
You don first see anyone?
Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by AKWATGOLD1(m): 4:26pm On Dec 19, 2022
Kindly chose the path of Tax in the Big 4 audit firm as you stated based on the underlisted emphasis:
1. Tax is the goldmine or digita crude oil in the third world countries
2. Tax will open your horizon.
3. Tax will makes you to be sought after for your services.
4. Tax will makes you act as middlemen between government and your clients on various degree of Tax issues.
5. After working for some years in the Big 4 audit firm, you can incorporate your own Tax consultant firm.
6. As a Tax professional, Investment Bankers will bring their tax related issues to your office invariable you will dictate the tunes.

lajid:

Ok, will appreciate more emphasis on the benefits
Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by Asour: 5:18pm On Dec 19, 2022
NDakota:

Some might argue that IB adds little value to the world too.
It's just a cash-grab underwriting endeavour.

value is heavily subjective.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by Treassured: 5:24pm On Dec 19, 2022
Audit anyday anytime. That's my line.
Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by Kaysalas(m): 6:00pm On Dec 19, 2022
Good day all, please how relevant is the Chartered institute of stockbrokers certificate to the investment banking industry here in Nigeria?
Re: Tax In A Big Four Audit Firm Or Investment Banking by Yankee101: 6:05pm On Dec 19, 2022
Investment banking will pay you more now now

Tax will make you a client of all the big boys plus the investment banks

So decide. All na good part. But tax boys no dey to grow unless you can reach partner. And you go dey read for chartered status. But plenty free flights, hotels and food if you're out of station and like such things. You may also have to sign agreements not to work for competitors or clients.

I assume you had a 2.1 or 1st class

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Certifications Necessary For A Political Science Graduate? / One Single Habit That Makes Every Millionaire A Lot Of Money / Daily Independent Staff Go On Strike Over Non-payment Of Salary (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.