Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,292 members, 7,815,509 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:41 PM

Can A Southern Nigerian President Deal With Boko Haram Successfully? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can A Southern Nigerian President Deal With Boko Haram Successfully? (1021 Views)

Touching Photo Of A Nigerian Soldier Praying Before Battle With Boko Haram(Pic) / Any Southern Nigerian Voting A P C Needs To Be Examined / Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A Southern Nigerian President Deal With Boko Haram Successfully? by Blackteeth(m): 12:33pm On Aug 31, 2011
For those of us insulting Jonathan and saying he is incompetent for being unable to stop the boko haram bombings, the fact remains that the president is not folding his hands watching the situation unfold. I know he is actually doing everything possible to bring the situation under control. But why is his effort not paying off? We know that Buhari or some other northern president may successfully squash boko haram due to reasons that are clear to us. But can any southern president do it with full success without giving up something big for it? Is this really about Jonathan being weak or is there something outside it we are ignoring?
Re: Can A Southern Nigerian President Deal With Boko Haram Successfully? by moneygenee: 1:27pm On Aug 31, 2011
not D BH again cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Can A Southern Nigerian President Deal With Boko Haram Successfully? by Kobojunkie: 1:33pm On Aug 31, 2011
What has his ethnicity or religion to do with his ability/or lack thereof, to deal with crime and criminals??  undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided  Since when did the ability of a supposed leader to squash crime become about his/her ethnicity?

What are these efforts that are not paying off??
Re: Can A Southern Nigerian President Deal With Boko Haram Successfully? by Nobody: 2:29pm On Aug 31, 2011
Kobojunkie:

What has his ethnicity or religion to do with his ability/or lack thereof, to deal with crime and criminals?? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided Since when did the ability of a supposed leader to squash crime become about his/her ethnicity?

OBJ raised down whole villages in the ND trying to wipe out MEND without success.
Jonathan got to Aso Rock and negotiated "Peace with MEND and Amnesty with Governemnt" and the boys agreed to give their brother a chance to rule in "peace".
If Buhari had won, Boko Haram would have relaxed because "power has come back to us".
Have you not heard that Soludo (Southerner) was antiNorth and now Sanusi (Northerner) is Anti South?
Did you not hear that MEND threatened hostilities if anything happens to Jonathan?

Have you not heard that Jonathan has ordered the release of all members of the MASSOB held across Nigerian prisons? Would a Northern President do that? NO!

Take it or leave it, ethnicity/religion has everything to do with it. Cheers!
Re: Can A Southern Nigerian President Deal With Boko Haram Successfully? by Blackteeth(m): 3:25pm On Aug 31, 2011
noblezone:

OBJ raised down whole villages in the ND trying to wipe out MEND without success.
Jonathan got to Aso Rock and negotiated "Peace with MEND and Amnesty with Governemnt" and the boys agreed to give their brother a chance to rule in "peace".
If Buhari had won, Boko Haram would have relaxed because "power has come back to us".
Have you not heard that Soludo (Southerner) was antiNorth and now Sanusi (Northerner) is Anti South?
Did you not hear that MEND threatened hostilities if anything happens to Jonathan?

Have you not heard that Jonathan has ordered the release of all members of the MASSOB held across Nigerian prisons? Would a Northern President do that? NO!

Thanks for helping me school that junkie kobo
Re: Can A Southern Nigerian President Deal With Boko Haram Successfully? by Kobojunkie: 12:09am On Sep 01, 2011
@OP, I am sure my QUESTIONS ARE CLEAR . . . .  Here they are again . . . . and please, let's spare ourselves the silly conjectures, and disconnected logic, at this point . . . I mean we should be tired of them by now . .

Kobojunkie:

What has his ethnicity or religion to do with his ability/or lack thereof, to deal with crime and criminals??  undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided  Since when did the ability of a supposed leader to squash crime become about his/her ethnicity?

Re: Can A Southern Nigerian President Deal With Boko Haram Successfully? by gists: 8:50am On Sep 01, 2011
noblezone:

Are you sayong we've had it. There's no going back on bombing for the next 3+years (or is it 5+yrs) just because we have a president who come from the south and as such any form of violent in other region of the country will just go unchecked while apprehended criminals from his constituency will be given state pardon? There were violence in every region of the country during OBJ (he is not by any means my fan) but he at least tried and made visible efforts to quash them all some successfully some not.

But what do we have now? You and I know "he is on top of the situation"
Re: Can A Southern Nigerian President Deal With Boko Haram Successfully? by Blackteeth(m): 10:49am On Sep 01, 2011
@kobojunkie. You have to note that am not refering to any kind criminal activities out there. Am specifically refering to the Boko guys cos this criminal outfit has an ethnic/religious undertone, and therefore would also require something ethnic/religious to eliminate it. Maximum security in the form of deploying security forces at every lenght and breadth is not what it would take to silence Boko Haram. Open your eyes.
Re: Can A Southern Nigerian President Deal With Boko Haram Successfully? by kunlekunle: 3:28am On Sep 02, 2011
ask baba iyabo
Re: Can A Southern Nigerian President Deal With Boko Haram Successfully? by Kobojunkie: 3:34am On Sep 02, 2011
Blackteeth:

@kobojunkie. You have to note that am not refering to any kind criminal activities out there. Am specifically refering to the Boko guys cos this criminal outfit has an ethnic/religious undertone, and therefore would also require something ethnic/religious to eliminate it. Maximum security in the form of deploying security forces at every lenght and breadth is not what it would take to silence Boko Haram. Open your eyes.

Only last year, these boko haramists where still only a gang of criminals. Today we see them as a terrorist group with legit alquaeeda backing. Regardless this is a criminal gang and not much else, not until we confirm that they have decided to move their operations across our borders to other countries.

Of course as a criminal gang, they will have some sort of undertone to their cause, in this case, it happens to be religious and no one is shocked that it is. So I don't see how the ethnicity or religion of our president needs to matter when it comes to quelling this and other criminal gangs out there. Maximum security for what? Maximum security from the same INEPT security forces average Nigerians continue to complain and wail over? Please, I say you open your eyes to see this as you will see everything else. The main reason this group exists is because of the security vacuum that continues to plague the country. Nigeria is not afghanistan or Iraq, or even Mali.
Re: Can A Southern Nigerian President Deal With Boko Haram Successfully? by Onlytruth(m): 4:58am On Sep 02, 2011
Posted by: noblezone

Good luck with trying to teach Kobomental the simple ABC of Nigerian politics.

A foool at 50 is a fuul for ever. cool
Re: Can A Southern Nigerian President Deal With Boko Haram Successfully? by Nobody: 12:02pm On Sep 05, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Only last year, these boko haramists where still only a gang of criminals. Today we see them as a terrorist group with legit alquaeeda backing. Regardless this is a criminal gang and not much else, not until we confirm that they have decided to move their operations across our borders to other countries.

Of course as a criminal gang, they will have some sort of undertone to their cause, in this case, it happens to be religious and no one is shocked that it is. So I don't see how the ethnicity or religion of our president needs to matter when it comes to quelling this and other criminal gangs out there. Maximum security for what? Maximum security from the same INEPT security forces average Nigerians continue to complain and wail over? Please, I say you open your eyes to see this as you will see everything else. The main reason this group exists is because of the security vacuum that continues to plague the country. Nigeria is not afghanistan or Iraq, or even Mali.

OBJ was "great" when it comes to brute force! did that end MEND? NO!
It took a Jonathan from the ND to make MEND to pipe low.
What the General could not do, a bloody civilian did.

Believe me, if OBJ had continued with his military campaign, the ND will still be the boiling point. Point is, you can shoot people to death, but not idealogies.

Forty years after Biafra, many people still want Biafra, why?
Simple: Biafra was not a criminal uprising! It was a survival idealogy. Let Ojukwu die a 100 times, the idea will still live. Kill Uwazuruike a million times, the idea will still live.

Boko Haram was small, but they are now big. It was not Jonathan that made them big. Jonathan only inherited the BH and don't Goeorge him by his style.

He would have loved to achieve what he achieved with the MEND folks. Or di you not hear thata the BH folks refused amnesty? ( I was not suprised anyway).

Fact is this: it would be much easier for aNortherner, to deal with a Northern problem, and this is where I am wondering what sambo is doing.

In one of the Kano riots, the Jihardists started killing Igbos as usual. The the "Biafrans" mobilised and fought back.! They pursued the Jihardists right into the heart of their towns, until governemt came to beg them to stop. The "Biafrans" refused, and they said they were willing to die but that those who continue to kill them without course must taste what it is like first.

Do you know how they stopped it? They brought Army and Police personnels of Igbo ethnicity who came and negotiated peace.
Let Jonathan use this brute force you are talking about and see what happens.

During OBJ days, the killings especially in Jos was frequent: Tell me, did he stop it? Did he use the brute force?
Apart from removing Joshua Dariye (as demanded by the Emirs) what else did OBJ achieve in Jos? Mind you, it was so easy for him to stop the OPC.
I wish you the best, but if you think that is is about Jonathan, then you have been decieved.
Re: Can A Southern Nigerian President Deal With Boko Haram Successfully? by Onlytruth(m): 7:19pm On Sep 05, 2011
^^

This noblezone just gave a powerful lecture! cool
I advise every intelligent NL to take a cue.
He said it all.
Re: Can A Southern Nigerian President Deal With Boko Haram Successfully? by asha80(m): 7:31pm On Sep 05, 2011
noblezone:

Believe me, if OBJ had continued with his military campaign, the ND will still be the boiling point. Point is, you can shoot people to death, but not idealogies.

Simple: Biafra was not a criminal uprising! It was a survival idealogy. Let Ojukwu die a 100 times, the idea will still live. Kill Uwazuruike a million times, the idea will still live.

Boko Haram was small, but they are now big. It was not Jonathan that made them big. Jonathan only inherited the BH and don't Goeorge him by his style.

He would have loved to achieve what he achieved with the MEND folks. Or di you not hear thata the BH folks refused amnesty? ( I was not suprised anyway).

Fact is this: it would be much easier for aNortherner, to deal with a Northern problem, and this is where I am wondering what sambo is doing.

In one of the Kano riots, the Jihardists started killing Igbos as usual. The the "Biafrans" mobilised and fought back.! They pursued the Jihardists right into the heart of their towns, until governemt came to beg them to stop. The "Biafrans" refused, and they said they were willing to die but that those who continue to kill them without course must taste what it is like first.

Do you know how they stopped it? They brought Army and Police personnels of Igbo ethnicity who came and negotiated peace.

During OBJ days, the killings especially in Jos was frequent: Tell me, did he stop it? Did he use the brute force?
Apart from removing Joshua Dariye (as demanded by the Emirs) what else did OBJ achieve in Jos? Mind you, it was so easy for him to stop the OPC.
I wish you the best, but if you think that is is about Jonathan, then you have been decieved.

hmmm,you cannot really argue against these facts.
Re: Can A Southern Nigerian President Deal With Boko Haram Successfully? by Kobojunkie: 7:42pm On Sep 05, 2011
noblezone:

Again, I hate when people post NON-FACTS as if they suddenly become FACTs simply because they are presented. The deal with ND was negotiated by Yar adua, not Jonathan. Jonathan inherited an already existing deal there. CHECK YOUR FACTS PLEASE!

noblezone:

You have made no point, in my opinion. For one, none of those on here has so far GLORIFIED Obasanjo's brutality against the innocents. So I don't see the need to keep bringing up Obasanjo's name over and over, as if he even accomplished anything. If anything we all know that Obasanjo did a terrible job managing the MEND situation during his administration, and the proof is in the fact that Yar adua decided to strike a deal with this same group even after 8 years of Obasanjo's attempt as destroying innocent lives, pretending he was actually tackling the issue.

noblezone:

CORRECTION: Again, posting NON-FACTS does not help elevate them to facts. Jonathan is the President who ALLOWED Boko Haram to grow to where it is today. Boko Haram flourished during the last year -- the group was essentially still non-existent before then. Remember this?

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/africa/2009/07/2009730174233896352.html <---- This happened during the Yar adua administration

Because of the continued lapse in the security situation, this group was more than enabled in the last year alone.

noblezone:

Again, let's stop manufacturing FACTS out of thin air!!! What was achieved with MEND? Isn't this the same MEND that has been linked to bombings, and even threats since Jonathan took office?

We essentially BRIBED the group into submitting to a temporary peace treaty. And there is still no surety that this group will not, in the near future, rise again, should the situation call for them to. We have seen them treaten to, in just the last couple of months alone, and I don't think it is wise for anyone to declare the MEND menace over yet.

Offering Boko Haram the same deal that was offered MEND would be insanity, as this will likely cause other groups to rise, with the assurance that we will, at some point seek to pacify them by offering them bribes, probably turning this all into a free for all.
noblezone:

I think the above is irrelevant to this discussion as I believe there is no evidence to show these so-called jihardists are related to Boko Haram, which is what this is about. It is on record that the BokoHaramists kill even their own (hausas and muslims).

noblezone:

Why should he use BRUTE FORCE? You would have to explain that one to us since you are the one whose been HARPING ON brute force -- trying to bring OBJ into this as if it even made sense back when he murdered a whole village then.
noblezone:

What is with your obsession with Obasanjo? I have to ask now as it seems you DESPERATELY need him involved here so you can continue to push some moot argument for Jonathan's passive approve to tackling the problem.
Re: Can A Southern Nigerian President Deal With Boko Haram Successfully? by Rhino5dm: 7:46pm On Sep 05, 2011
My guy stop chatting rubbish here. Amnesty was Yaradua's pet project NOT jonathan.
When GEJ was governor didn't thesame MEND attack government house in Bayelsa for 8 hrs? Was GEJ not the sitting president when MEND Bomb Abuja in protest of their "own"?
Who told you that there was no Boko Haram during Yaradua's regime? When was their leader killed and who ordered the killing?
Do you know the number of people Boko Haram killied in Maiduguri? Why are they killing their own?

Very dry conjecture packed with baseless rants. For your info Boko haram is a religious extremist organisation, and i can confidently tell you that i know alot about them. Their leader was not hidden at the inception, infact he used to mount podium and freely preach his redicalism at Dutsen Tenshi in Bauchi, before Isa Yuguda banish their modes of teaching with a crack down on their members. I know all this as fact not some conspiracy assumptions. That was the reason why their first confrontation was jail break to free their members from a jail near emir's palace in Bauchi. Dont say what you have no clue of.

Onlytruth:

^^

This noblezone just gave a powerful lecture! cool
I advise every intelligent NL to take a cue.
He said it all.
noblezone:

Re: Can A Southern Nigerian President Deal With Boko Haram Successfully? by musiwa48: 7:59pm On Sep 05, 2011
If I am president , Boko Haram will stop because there is an issue of trust involve. even a northerner as president will not stop Boko Haram.

I do believe Boko haram will stop if I become president because the grassroot in the north , knows I will make the north majority.

A northerner as president, boko haram will still continue because the northern elite have failed the people and there is no trust between the average northerner and the northern elite. who are looking for power. But I am a person who is determine to make the North majority to avoid a civil war. I will remove Edo,delta and Yoruba, they are my people and they will not complain if I remove them to make the north majority.

(1) (Reply)

Fashola Bridge Or Attachment?, It's Causing More Traffics On The Main Bridge / Tax Collection: Lagos State To Drop Tinubu's Alpha Beta ! / Shell, Eni Buy Nigeria Offshore Oil Field Rights for an UNDISCLOSED sum!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.