Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,603 members, 7,809,189 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:01 AM

Is Yoruba Language Becoming The Face Of "Nigerian Culture"? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Yoruba Language Becoming The Face Of "Nigerian Culture"? (9493 Views)

Lagos Is Yoruba State And Yoruba Land- Yul Edochie / Peter Obi Didn't Congratulate Pastor Adeboye Because He Is Yoruba / Restructuring Is Yoruba Agenda Championed By Uninformed Igbos – Tanko Yakasai (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Yoruba Language Becoming The Face Of "Nigerian Culture"? by Talawaka: 6:02pm On Dec 19, 2022
BanyXchi:
while you're almost right, you must never forget when the Yorubas where enslaved after the fall of Oyo empire, they were still thesame amount of ibos being taken through the Bight of biafra. There were more ibos enslaved than Yorubas so why did ibo culture not survive?

First off, I responded to a question about language.
The Yoruba were late arrivals in the new world - specific parts of the new world - as anyone who has taken the time to apprise himself with the history of that period should know.

Now to your own poser, the enslavement of the different groups took on many different forms and hence produced a myriad of outcomes. What I am telling you is fact beyond contention.

If you are still at a loss at this point, I would suggest that you take a look at colonialism on the African continent and its attendant consequences. While the British allowed a very small number of Africans to be educated, for instance, the Belgians did not. King Leopold has his own scorched earth policy, which was more brutal and far more inhumane than what obtained anywhere else. Go on, look up the number of graduates the Congo had when it attained independence. Even more, ask yourself why each one of the Portuguese colonies had to wage an armed struggle - and you would understand the conditions which underpinned colonialism, much like slavery, differed from one place to the other.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Yoruba Language Becoming The Face Of "Nigerian Culture"? by ProblemChild1: 6:09pm On Dec 19, 2022
Magnoliaa:

*Yawns.*

Give the etymological breakdown and its meaning...

(I am even fine with a quick rundown of its social origins.)

And I obviously left a 50% chance open for me being wrong...
Lamba is a swahili word. I don't have time for your silly argument. The full words is 'Lamba Lolo'? It means fvck? Go and sleep.
Re: Is Yoruba Language Becoming The Face Of "Nigerian Culture"? by Magnoliaa(f): 6:48pm On Dec 19, 2022
ProblemChild1:
Lamba is a swahili word. I don't have time for your silly argument. The full words is 'Lamba Lolo'? It means fvck? Go and sleep

You don't have time? grin

Them push you come inside my mention before?

You made a claim, wanting to disprove me or shit.

If you cannot substantiate what you're saying, I am sorry, I am not agreeing faya. Ma ha le mo mi.

Leave me mention, lemme see other points from other users...

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Is Yoruba Language Becoming The Face Of "Nigerian Culture"? by plaindealer: 7:04pm On Dec 19, 2022
1Sharon:

Did I say they don't wear school uniform at all?

Why are you twisting what I said??

I asked, "why are the school kids dressed like that"?
Is that how Nigerian school kids uniform look like? Are the girls also allowed to have extensions with unnatural colours?

Just looking at the poster and going on to look at the trailer, I can already tell the they're trying to portray Nigerians as something they are not. Hollywood/western wannabes

Nigerian kids wear uniforms, period, however, they wear their uniforms for posters is irrelevant, it's a TV show and a made-for-TV drama.

It's even funny how you have so much to say and condemn over a TV show that you haven't watched and won't watch.

Until you've taken out time to watch the show, you are in no position to render any ill-informed judgment.

Hollywood wannabees is your own opinion, even going by your Hollywood wannabees comment, if that's the case, nearly all our movies and shows are Hollywood wannabees.

Makes no sense.

1 Like

Re: Is Yoruba Language Becoming The Face Of "Nigerian Culture"? by Fortruth: 7:09pm On Dec 19, 2022
Africa and afrobeats is reigning, from many languages…just not Oduduwa, biafra, Arewa tongues, but coupe decale, South Africa, etc.

Did you not hear the coupe songs they played when France won against England in Qfinals….
Re: Is Yoruba Language Becoming The Face Of "Nigerian Culture"? by Magnoliaa(f): 7:31pm On Dec 19, 2022
Fortruth:
Africa and afrobeats is reigning, from many languages…just not Oduduwa, biafra, Arewa tongues, but coupe decale, South Africa, etc.

Did you not hear the coupe songs they played when France won against England in Qfinals….

Thank you.

cc: Fujiyama

Fela is the founder of Afrobeats o.

And I don't want to believe you'd really twist yourself that much to deny that Afrobeats (championed by Yoruba artists in numbers) is going global. grin

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Is Yoruba Language Becoming The Face Of "Nigerian Culture"? by Magnoliaa(f): 7:35pm On Dec 19, 2022
Fortruth:

Ermmmmm, hei hei.

Afrobeats is Nigerian, abeg o.

I did not even finish reading your comment to the end...

Other African countries may be copying it, and forming their own variations, but Afrobeat > Nigeria.

Amapiano > SA.

Dance hall > Jamaica.

The same way other African countries have theirs.

Since Fela is the father of Afrobeats, then I can stretch that to say it is Yoruba in origin (even though it is a mix of different foreign sounds initially sha).

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Yoruba Language Becoming The Face Of "Nigerian Culture"? by plaindealer: 7:38pm On Dec 19, 2022
Fortruth:

That's not the point, we are talking about Nigeria and how the Yoruba language is becoming the face of Nigeria.

Face topic.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Yoruba Language Becoming The Face Of "Nigerian Culture"? by Magnoliaa(f): 7:40pm On Dec 19, 2022
plaindealer:
Nigerian kids wear uniforms, period, however, they wear their uniforms for posters is irrelevant, it's a TV show and a made-for-TV drama.

It's even funny how you have so much to say and condemn over a TV show that you haven't watched and won't watch.

Until you've taken out time to watch the show, you are in no position to render any ill-informed judgment.

Hollywood wannabees is your own opinion, even going by your Hollywood wannabees comment, if that's the case, nearly all our movies and shows are Hollywood wannabees.

Makes no sense.

Durhh, this is actually true, though?

Is Nollywood not being Americanised?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Yoruba Language Becoming The Face Of "Nigerian Culture"? by Fortruth: 7:52pm On Dec 19, 2022
plaindealer:

That's not the point, we are talking about Nigeria and how the Yoruba language is becoming the face of Nigeria.

Face topic.

Phuck your “Point”. Yoruba language, like most African languages are becoming the face of music in NIGERIA. Influence from other languages, “Chioma…Biko….Haba…etc” are interchangeable in “Yoruba” non traditional music. Also SOuth African vibes, coupe decale vibes, even Ghana vibes are all making Afrobeats popular everywhere….. so no, its not just one language.

Go and sleep
Re: Is Yoruba Language Becoming The Face Of "Nigerian Culture"? by plaindealer: 7:57pm On Dec 19, 2022
Fortruth:

Phuck your “Point”. Yoruba language, like most African languages are becoming the face of music in NIGERIA. Influence from other languages, “Chioma…Biko….Haba…etc” are interchangeable in “Yoruba” non traditional music. Also SOuth African vibes, coupe decale vibes, even Ghana vibes are all making Afrobeats popular everywhere….. so no, its not just one language.

Go and sleep

And the topic is still Yoruba becoming the face of Nigeria, not South Africa or even Africa or all the meaningless and irrelevant rubbish you keep spewing.

Take some time out to learn how to read, comprehend and follow simple internet discussions, you sound a little reetarded.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Yoruba Language Becoming The Face Of "Nigerian Culture"? by TakeNigeriaBack: 8:31pm On Dec 19, 2022
Fujiyama:

^^^
Fair question (assuming you are correct).

Perhaps you can educate us on the reasons why.

Go and watch the Netflix documentary 'bigger than Africa.' That was the movie to opened my eyes about the strength of the culture of Yoruba people. Basically, the documentar showed that when the Yoruba slaves arrived,they were able to organize the slaves the met in the America around the Yoruba traditions. I will advice you watch the documentary.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Yoruba Language Becoming The Face Of "Nigerian Culture"? by Fortruth: 8:36pm On Dec 19, 2022
plaindealer:

And the topic is still Yoruba becoming the face of Nigeria, not South Africa or even Africa or all the meaningless and irrelevant rubbish you keep spewing.

Take some time out to learn how to read, comprehend and follow simple internet discussions, you sound a little reetarded.

Your mommy is a retar.d….. maybe she isn’t sure who your papa is…. Probably a “Yoruba” musician Mr Man.
And my answer is STIILL AFROBEATS is what is reigning, whether it be at World Cup Qatar, whether in Accra, whether it be Ibadan, Lagos, PH…and African languages, including Yoruba, are all a part of it.

If you dont like the answer, go and sleep…..
Re: Is Yoruba Language Becoming The Face Of "Nigerian Culture"? by TakeNigeriaBack: 8:37pm On Dec 19, 2022
Talawaka:
This is because the enslavement of Yoruba people never really got into gear until the collapse of the Oyo empire.While the conflicts in 1750 created the conditions for the heinous trade across what is now regarded as South Western Nigeria, it took another 40 years before the Lagos port became a major outlet.The simple truth is that, bastioned by empire, the Yoruba arrived in record numbers much later than a lot of the other groups you mentioned.Let's rest all the talk of exceptionalism and supremacy, it is a distraction that only serves to undermine the contributions of others.
My brother, giving Yoruba people their laurels does not mean hatred towards any other tribe. If I notice something good about a tribe, just because I say it does not equate hatred for another tribe. It does not mean I don't value my own tribe either. The problem we have in Nigeria is that we prefer lies to honesty. Honesty will not kill me or kill you. Lets just be honest, Yoruba culture is the strongest in Africa. Does it me I don't value my own tribe? No. I am just looking at the facts and drawing reasonable conclusions.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Yoruba Language Becoming The Face Of "Nigerian Culture"? by BanyXchi: 9:16pm On Dec 19, 2022
realestate99:

You are stupid, the worst set of people are beings that uses various tactics to conceal their true intentions. Be a man and come out as a tribalist that you are, do not mask your real nature in trying to be civil, f***cking coward!!! The idiot is saying Lagos is dominated by yorubas instead of Lagos is Yoruba land, this is what those liberal yorubas get for giving sub humans free pass to their region.
yoruba liberals are a big curse to yoruba race.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Yoruba Language Becoming The Face Of "Nigerian Culture"? by yorubarere: 9:38pm On Dec 19, 2022
plaindealer:

I get what you are saying, the ambiguity in your post created the needless argument, but now I see where you are coming from.

No worries..
He only changed his stance when he was heavily called out. That makes him a sneaky person cos I saw his post where he claimed some are trying to control lagos economically (we all know the tribe that is notorious for this statement). He also said some are laying claims to it historically. That old and useless bini story igbos propagate.

They never asked themselves why bini uses "obaship" title. Oba of Bini is a descendant of the Yoruba. Even their elite class like obaseki family etc belongs to us.

How does oba of bini owns lagos? Which history? If it he does, is Oba himself not from the yoruba lineage forced on the igodomigodo people by the yorubas?

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Yoruba Language Becoming The Face Of "Nigerian Culture"? by Justmesagi: 9:43pm On Dec 19, 2022
BanyXchi:
yoruba liberals are a big curse to yoruba race.
First, that person u quoted misinterpreted my comment. And then he called me sub human. Imagine that kind of insult to a fellow man. Yet we blame the whites for exuding far less of such kind character. It's not fair, sir.

Second, I believe the liberal nature of the Yoruba is moderate and major leeway to their being more progressive in Nigeria.

I was born and bred in the West, boss. Extremism, most of the time, breeds terrorism. And laxity breeds degeneration or loss of value. I believe the Yoruba society is balance except what u are saying is that laxity has set in.

I may creat a thread on that later to avoid derailing this thread.

1 Like

Re: Is Yoruba Language Becoming The Face Of "Nigerian Culture"? by BanyXchi: 9:49pm On Dec 19, 2022
Justmesagi:
First, that person u quoted misinterpreted my comment. And then he called me sub human. Imagine that kind of insult to a fellow man. Yet we blame the whites for exuding far less of such kind character. It's not fair, sir.

Second, I believe the liberal nature of the Yoruba is moderate and major leeway to their being more progressive in Nigeria.

I was born and bred in the West, boss. Extremism, most of the time, breeds terrorism. And laxity breeds degeneration or loss of value. I believe the Yoruba society is balance except what u are saying is that laxity has set in.

Yoruba liberals are a big curse to the yoruba people, I know why I said that bro... You no fit understand, you're not yoruba.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Yoruba Language Becoming The Face Of "Nigerian Culture"? by Justmesagi: 9:52pm On Dec 19, 2022
BanyXchi:
Yoruba liberals are a big curse to the yoruba people, I know why I said that bro... You no fit understand, you're not yoruba.
Ok.
Re: Is Yoruba Language Becoming The Face Of "Nigerian Culture"? by yorubarere: 9:53pm On Dec 19, 2022
Justmesagi:

Myself I am a liberal yoruba. But you went sneaky on us. That we are liberal doesn't mean we are stupid not to know when someone is trying to massage our ego to rob us. Why will you say some tribes are laying claims to lagos? Who are the tribes? Who are the ones trying to control it economically? Mention them.

And your usage of the phrase "yoruba dominated" sold you off in the first instance. And it took a lot of calling you out before you admitted to it.

Pls next time don't try to play such games.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Yoruba Language Becoming The Face Of "Nigerian Culture"? by Magnoliaa(f): 9:55pm On Dec 19, 2022
Justmesagi:

Lotta sense in here.

True. There's nothing bad with liberalism and progressiveness.

Most of the guys arguing on this thread sef are Tinupoo's supporters (and 8ful redpillarz as well). They are very tribalistic to the core, and I nor dey see eye to eye with them on a norm, so don't mind them. grin

Being proud as a Yoruba and defending the tribe's honour does not warrant you s******g on someone or another culture.

1 Like

Re: Is Yoruba Language Becoming The Face Of "Nigerian Culture"? by yorubarere: 9:59pm On Dec 19, 2022
Magnoliaa:

Lotta sense in here.

True. There's nothing bad with liberalism and progressiveness.

Most of the guys arguing of this thread sef are Tinupoo's supporters. They are very tribalistic to the core, and I nor dey see eye to eye with them. grin

Being proud as a Yoruba and defending the tribe's honour does not warrant you s******g on someone or another culture.
Don't stain this thread with ur political immaturity. Yoruba as a tribe progresses because we are diverse in nature and in thinking. But that doesn't mean we are stupid. All of us can't be in the same party or support same person and that doesn't give you the right to insult tinubu and his followers.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Yoruba Language Becoming The Face Of "Nigerian Culture"? by Magnoliaa(f): 10:00pm On Dec 19, 2022
yorubarere:
Don't stain this thread with ur political immaturity. Yoruba as a tribe progresses because we are diverse in nature and in thinking. But that doesn't mean we are stupid. All of us can't be in the same party or support same person and that doesn't give you the right to insult tinubu and his followers.

Kindly avoid me as I'll do you, please.

Thank you and God bless you as you do so.
Re: Is Yoruba Language Becoming The Face Of "Nigerian Culture"? by Magnoliaa(f): 10:01pm On Dec 19, 2022
I should not stain thread, but the person that called some else "sub human" was not called to order.

Mtcheeeeewwwwwww.

1 Like

Re: Is Yoruba Language Becoming The Face Of "Nigerian Culture"? by Ttalk: 10:04pm On Dec 19, 2022
Justmesagi:

You are a sneaky lair and a bigot and hate filled individual who go about hating and demeaning a race that is better than you.

Your obsession with anything Yoruba will continue to hunt you. In your usual hateful approach, you are in this thread to instigate your disdain hatred hoping you will see your ethnic brothers that would fan it but you met your Waterloo and you have no option than to feign innocent.

You are nothing but a sly

Below are your hateful comments against Yoruba

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Yoruba Language Becoming The Face Of "Nigerian Culture"? by Talawaka: 10:04pm On Dec 19, 2022
TakeNigeriaBack:

My brother, giving Yoruba people their laurels does not mean hatred towards any other tribe. If I notice something good about a tribe, just because I say it does not equate hatred for another tribe. It does not mean I don't value my own tribe either. The problem we have in Nigeria is that we prefer lies to honesty. Honesty will not kill me or kill you. Lets just be honest, Yoruba culture is the strongest in Africa. Does it me I don't value my own tribe? No. I am just looking at the facts and drawing reasonable conclusions.

At no point did I suggest your comments conveyed hatred.
If anything, I simply pointed out why it is wrong to impugn other ethnic groups are somehow inferior to the Yoruba.

Moving on, let me ask you this: when did it become characteristic of the Yoruba to indulge in needless chest-thumping?
Or how else does one view your claim that "Yoruba culture is the strongest in Africa"?
Is that part of the Omoluabi ethos? Or is this a new refrain that helps the lily-livered achieve some kind of natural high?
Re: Is Yoruba Language Becoming The Face Of "Nigerian Culture"? by yorubarere: 10:04pm On Dec 19, 2022
Magnoliaa:
I should not stain thread, but the person that called some else "sub human" is not called to order.

Mtcheeeeewwwwwww.
He also insulted people like me "liberal yoruba". But you don't see me crying about that.

You hold freedom of association, at least among the yorubas cos we are diverse. But that doesn't give you the right to insult other yorubas for making their own choices like you do.
Re: Is Yoruba Language Becoming The Face Of "Nigerian Culture"? by Magnoliaa(f): 10:06pm On Dec 19, 2022
If I insult senseless BAT urchins, come and seize my phone. grin grin
Re: Is Yoruba Language Becoming The Face Of "Nigerian Culture"? by yorubarere: 10:14pm On Dec 19, 2022
Ttalk:

You are a sneaky lair and a bigot and hate filled individual who go about hating and demeaning a race that is better than you.

Your obsession with anything Yoruba will continue to hunt you. In your usual hateful approach, you are in this thread to instigate your disdain hatred hoping you will see your ethnic brothers that would fan it but you met your Waterloo and you have no option than to feign innocent.

You are nothing but a sly

Below are your hateful comments against Yoruba
You saw it too. Maybe he tot we won't see his insults with the sugarcoated words. We are humble but that doesn't mean we are low self esteem individuals that could be fooled with mere words.

He is a sly and very sneaky which makes him more dangerous than his kins that shows their hate upfront.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Yoruba Language Becoming The Face Of "Nigerian Culture"? by yorubarere: 10:16pm On Dec 19, 2022
Magnoliaa:
If I insult senseless BAT urchins, come and seize my phone. grin grin
I can't seize your phone. But going by how you talk, you are badly brought up. And that is not my fault.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Oshiomole’s Ignorant Outburst: A Demand For Mental Examination / Certificate Saga : Buhari May Be Right. Picture. / Ag-hos Yemi-esan Receives Hand Over Note From Oyo-ita

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.