Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,956 members, 7,817,809 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:07 PM

My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria - Phones (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria (96747 Views)

My Spacex Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria / Fisayo Fosudo Test-Runs SpaceX's Starlink (Video) / Starlink Is Officially In Nigeria With Pricing In Naira (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (51) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by dustmalik: 4:32pm On Dec 22, 2022
Whitemagic:

And your browsing and downloading speeds correlates with this screenshot ? Like high speed downloads ?
Using IDM, I do get up to 65 - 75MBps
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by Bonzojoko: 5:04pm On Dec 22, 2022
dustmalik:

Using IDM, I do get up to 65 - 75MBps
that's a lovely internet speed in Nigeria but it still can't beat unlimited data with download speed of 12-30MBps which starlink offers. If MTN wants to destroy any chance of starlink becoming popular in Nigeria, they should just offer true unlimited data plan for 30k per month and enable nationwide 5g coverage. Someone downloaded 10gb file in 6 minutes twice using starlink internet. It may not be as fast as MTN 5g but it's fast enough for many people. Here is the video link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_itjNsXHFg

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by dustmalik: 5:17pm On Dec 22, 2022
Bonzojoko:
that's a lovely internet speed in Nigeria but it still can't beat unlimited data of 12-30MBps which starlink offers. If MTN wants to destroy any chance of starlink becoming popular in Nigeria, they should just offer true unlimited data for 30k per month and enable nationwide 5g coverage
Given the price of the kit, which is $600, that translates to over #450,000 or more using the prevailing exchange rate, it can never be popular in Nigeria, unless they drastically reduce it. Notwithstanding the monthly $43 sub, which is great, in my opinion.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by Bonzojoko: 7:35pm On Dec 22, 2022
dustmalik:

Given the price of the kit, which is $600, that translates to over #450,000 or more using the prevailing exchange rate, it can never be popular in Nigeria, unless they drastically reduce it. Notwithstanding the monthly $43 sub, which is great, in my opinion.
Elon musk will eventually reduce it. There is no way we and USA/UK people are expected to pay same $600 starlink kit price while Jamaicans pay $393(60,500 JMD). Nigeria is the only country where you cannot pay for starlink using the local currency(Naira). That's kinda embarrassing
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by dustmalik: 11:37pm On Dec 22, 2022
Bonzojoko:
Elon musk will eventually reduce it. There is no way we and USA/UK people are expected to pay same $600 starlink kit price while Jamaicans pay $393(60,500 JMD). Nigeria is the only country where you cannot pay for starlink using the local currency(Naira). That's kinda embarrassing
I believe it hasn't been formally launched in Nigeria hence the reason it isn't priced in Naira yet. A few days back, in the US, Pantami said it will be rolling out before the end of the year, once all the administrative processes have been ironed out.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by Nobody: 3:34pm On Dec 23, 2022
dustmalik:

I believe it has been formally launched in Nigeria hence the reason it isn't priced in Naira yet. A few days back, in the US, Pantami said it will be rolling out before the end of the year, once all the administrative processes have been ironed out.
Believe those liar at your own peril

Have you asked yourself why did Emirates airlines stop all flights to and fro Nigeria? Their forex is stock in Nigeria and unable to export it to their country apparently that's perhaps the reason all foreign biz are charging in dollars so that the money will be credited to their dollar account instead of naira account

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by Magma101: 9:18am On Dec 30, 2022
Please did you pay Customs Duty or Duty was paid by Starlink?

myspace:

Speedtest to UK and US locations now added to my First Post.
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by myspace(m): 12:08pm On Dec 30, 2022
Magma101:
Please did you pay Customs Duty or Duty was paid by Starlink?

Equipment was shipped to me from a Lagos location so import duty does not apply.
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by Magma101: 9:45am On Jan 02, 2023
myspace:

Equipment was shipped to me from a Lagos location so import duty does not apply.

Thanks bro. This is such a relief. I look forward to receiving mine soon. They are yet to contact me. Made deposit in August 2022, so I may be further on the queue.

1 Like

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by drizzypat: 7:59pm On Jan 02, 2023
michlins:
150k for 1.5Tb and you get 2.5tb added bonus (if you are making the first subscription)
the bonus no longer works even with new sim

The issue here is consistency

I see many ppl screaming mtn is better

What u should ask yourself is will it be same everywhere

Not everyone stays in elite places of abj,Lagos and ph..

If this network can provide consistency even at very undevelope area ..then it remains the best

Forget speed how about consistency and reliability everywhere!!

4 Likes

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by michlins(m): 8:29pm On Jan 02, 2023
drizzypat:
the bonus no longer works even with new sim

The issue here is consistency

I see many ppl screaming mtn is better

What u should ask yourself is will it be same everywhere

Not everyone stays in elite places of abj,Lagos and ph..

If this network can provide consistency even at very undevelope area ..then it remains the best

Forget speed how about consistency and reliability everywhere!!
it's still working if you buy the hynetflex pack for the first time

1 Like

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by sureteeboy(m): 10:50am On Jan 04, 2023
dustmalik:

There is nothing wrong with the screenshot. In fact, one can get better speed in some areas were 5G coverage is very good.

Below is a speedtest I just did now.
I carried out this test using a Xiaomi Poco f4. You might get better speed on other devices with better modem and antenna.
I also use a poco f4. Which side do you reside?
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by AutoshalomUSA: 2:51pm On Jan 04, 2023
I strongly believe you won’t be able to add multiple devices to your MTN hotspot . Starlink is a game changer . It works in places where there are no mast or towers. It works when MTN networks gets jammed up . Yes the price is a bit steep . But this is not a device for everyone . You only buy this if you truly need it . It’s not a luxury like IPhone 14 Promise !

I will be ordering one up soon for our office . We need the speed and reliability , atleast we can get out 16 systems hooked up to starlink without worrying about Spectranet or MTN jonsing ….

michlins:
with the amount you are paying for starlink, I will get unlimited data on MTN

8 Likes

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by Rogerz007(m): 8:09am On Jan 07, 2023
sureteeboy:

I also use a poco f4. Which side do you reside?
Good Morning..Please how did you buy your poco f4..I have checked everywhere on Nairaland and it seems none is in stock.
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by sureteeboy(m): 8:29am On Jan 07, 2023
Rogerz007:

Good Morning..Please how did you buy your poco f4..I have checked everywhere on Nairaland and it seems none is in stock.
I bought it from macbeyland some months back. You can message him to ask if he still has it

2 Likes

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by Rogerz007(m): 8:35am On Jan 07, 2023
sureteeboy:

I bought it from macbeyland some months back. You can message him to ask if he still has it
Alright..Thanks..I will message him now..
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by xfactordv: 3:08pm On Jan 07, 2023
NwaliE01:
Am using 5G at a very cheaper rate. Why are this guys always scamming Africa?

I subscribe $30 monthly with free (unlimited) calls, SMS and MMS nation wide.

You can literally make calls free with streets free phone booths but my people still pays for every seconds of their calls.

How do you do it ? Are you in Nigeria ?
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by NwaliE01: 5:05pm On Jan 07, 2023
xfactordv:

How do you do it ? Are you in Nigeria ?

No my brother. Am in Australia.
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by georgee(m): 8:07am On Jan 09, 2023
CSTRR:

If you subscribe 32k data on mtn every month, you can't finish it in a month.
So it's more or less unlimited.

Plus other benefits you will get on calls.

Elon musk is a scam.

Bro.. I will finish that 32K data in a month.. Trust me

I will only download 3 call of duty Fpkg at @96Gig each and stream all day..

That data go finish fiaaaam

6 Likes

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by Sapiosexuality(m): 9:53am On Jan 09, 2023
But can the unlimited monthly subscription be shared? grin
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by Sapiosexuality(m): 9:57am On Jan 09, 2023
dustmalik:

There is nothing wrong with the screenshot. In fact, one can get better speed in some areas were 5G coverage is very good.

Below is a speedtest I just did now.
I carried out this test using a Xiaomi Poco f4. You might get better speed on other devices with better modem and antenna.
is this MTN 5G?
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by dustmalik: 10:03am On Jan 09, 2023
Sapiosexuality:
is this MTN 5G?
Yes
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by Sapiosexuality(m): 10:04am On Jan 09, 2023
dustmalik:

Yes
I'm getting it today then. Normal process, right?
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by Centurion101: 7:03pm On Jan 09, 2023
myspace:
Unreliable internet has always been an issue for me in Lagos. The best Internet Service Providers use Fibre Optics but have very limited coverage areas. So when I heard Starlink would be rolling out their Low Orbit internet service in Africa, It Immediately piqued my Interest.

I made a preorder for the service in May of 2021 with a refundable deposit of $99. I did this due to the projected rollout of the service by the end of 2021. I did not get any update from Starlink until early december of 2022. I was told to pay up a balance of $501 so my exquipment would be shipped.

8 days after making full payment, my Starlink Equipment was delivered to me by DHL. It is a plug and play device that is easy to install by following very simple steps on the manual. I mounted the dish on my compound, at a postion with good sky visibility and the device connected to an available Satellite within a few minutes.

My Internet experience is now the best I have ever had it, here in Nigeria.

Total cost of Equipment $600
Monthly Subscription for Unlimited Internet $43

God Bless Elon Musk
God Bless SpaceX/Starlink
God Bless Nigeria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orUl06DfAjw
This is poorer than what I get on Airtel iny village in Akure,I download 23mb/s
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by Centurion101: 7:05pm On Jan 09, 2023
faceland:
Is it for real? You can download 100MB in a second?

It might be good for internet cafe or a compound filled with responsible users.
Lol , that's not how it works,its mbs not mb

2 Likes

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by kezienaira: 7:20am On Jan 10, 2023
myspace:

This is Nigeria, not Europe.

I have MTN 5G. My 100gb data was exhausted within 5 days. Starlink is currently unlimited.

What do you do that gulps data so much
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by kezienaira: 7:25am On Jan 10, 2023
Bonzojoko:
this can't be 4g. Has to be 5g. The main advantage starlink internet has is being unlimited. If only Elon musk will allow us to pay for starlink kit and subscription in Naira.

We can tag and quote him on Twitter.
He's very active on twitter
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by kezienaira: 7:38am On Jan 10, 2023
rookidmart:

Not really.
30k plan on MTN is for 200GB, and I've used more than that this past week alone updating games on my PS5.

Is this your personal game kit or you have a game shop
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by kezienaira: 7:43am On Jan 10, 2023
[quote author=stanvesco post=119294577][/quote]

What device is that bigman, I mean the 247 power bank
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by stanvesco(m): 9:01am On Jan 10, 2023
kezienaira:

What device is that bigman, I mean the 247 power bank

It's one powerbank oh....U want to buy
Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by kezienaira: 9:12am On Jan 10, 2023
stanvesco:

It's one powerbank oh....U want to buy

Yes nah, why not.
Could you show me the pic and name.
Price also..thanks

1 Like

Re: My SpaceX Starlink Internet Experience In Lagos, Nigeria by rookidmart: 3:59pm On Jan 10, 2023
kezienaira:

Is this your personal game kit or you have a game shop
No shop.
Mainly COD updates and new game downloads.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (51) (Reply)

If You Buy This N4.9million Solarin, God Will Not Forgive You (photo) / Free And Easy Way To Get Ur 2go Password And Username Back / Samsung Galaxy S4 To Launch In March

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.