Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,201 members, 7,818,670 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:29 PM

World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 (13304 Views)

90% Of 2023 Diaspora Remittances Didn’t Get To Nigeria — Oyedele / Diversion Of Diaspora Remittances To Black Market Weakens Naira - CBN / CBN Introduces ‘Naira 4 Dollar Scheme’ For Diaspora Remittances (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by airsaylongcome: 4:49pm On Dec 21, 2022
FreeStuffsNG:
It is possible if you can find the data to support your view. There are now data for all these issues unlike before where people make wild guesses.

The report showing SW leading in remittances aligns with the data that clearly indicated that SW indigenes are the most populous in the diaspora.
Until I saw that data, I have only assumed that SW indigenes do more travel internationally than within the borders of our nation.

Are you insinuating that there is a direct correlation between remittances and population of Nigerians abroad? Have you considered that people from other geopolitical zones could be remitting funds via grey channels?

Would you say that Egypt has more Egyptians abroad than Nigeria because Egypt has higher remittances than Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by PHIPEX(m): 4:51pm On Dec 21, 2022
FreeStuffsNG:
It is possible if you can find the data to support your view. There are now data for all these issues unlike before where people make wild guesses.

The report showing SW leading in remittances aligns with the data that clearly indicated that SW indigenes are the most populous in the diaspora.
Until I saw that data, I have only assumed that SW indigenes do more travel internationally than within the borders of our nation.
I have not seen the data but am telling you what I have seen. Have you wondered why the business guys continue to do their imports even with CBN currency restrictions, where do they get their foreign currencies from?
Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by Roboto11: 4:54pm On Dec 21, 2022
Moh247:

Funny question I have families abroad and I go abroad

Wetin dey inside travel

You go abroad does not mean you receive money.
Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by airsaylongcome: 4:54pm On Dec 21, 2022
SmartPolician:

Pakistanis are called immigrants (to describe people from poor countries living and working in rich ones) grin

Expatriates - someone from rich countries working in a poor country grin

Personal Semantics. It’s like calling someone biracial instead of “half-caste”. Or 6 vs half a dozen. An expat is an immigrant. An immigrant is an expat. Pakistanis are expats. They are also immigrants. Same with an American in Togo or a Brit in Gambia. Being an expat has nothing to do with being from a rich or poor country
Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by Moh247: 4:55pm On Dec 21, 2022
Roboto11:

You go abroad does not mean you receive money.

But it means I also sent it to Naija?!
Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by Eniitankorede: 4:55pm On Dec 21, 2022
kenoyad:

Exactly, my point too, we should even be above Pakistan. A friend in UK send #1m or more every month and it's through backdoor, there's someone that send money to Nigeria, he will give him pounds, he credit his Nigerian bank that I opened for him, he have the naira in his Nigeria bank app and he use the money here for whatever he need to do, while the sender piles up the pounds for someone from Nigeria that will come to pick the pounds there from Nigeria. Same thing in south Africa, throughout my 3 and half years there, if we want to send money to Nigeria, we go to Emeka shop and give him Rand and he credit the Nigeria account. This practice is every where.

I have always used back alley methods to send money. Same with virtual everyone I know here. And thats for over 20 years here.

1 Like

Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by clockwisereport: 5:04pm On Dec 21, 2022
dominique:
So people are japaing from Egypt too? For Egypt to be the no.1 African country in the list, that means they have a lot of citizens in the diaspora sending money home. Either that or our people in obodo oyinbo are no longer sending money home like before. They don use over billing to drive them away
Egyptians plenty for middle east

1 Like

Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by AreaFada2: 5:04pm On Dec 21, 2022
Ogurube:
The remittances to Nigeria will continue to dwindle if our government, families, and friends back home continue to take for granted the hard-earned monies being sent to them. It is exhausting to see some of our people waste money on useless things, rather than making productive attempts to invest the money given.
That one join too but many other factors.

Life abroad is more difficult and expensive now than at anytime in over 30 years. But when you tell those at home you will hear : "But bros you never pack your load come to back to live in 9ja". You can see envy mixed with never believing simple truth in that statement.

Younger people coming abroad grew up in less communal settings in 9ja and are more self-centred compared to folks who left 9ja earlier from the 1970s to around 2005 to 2010. The parents/grandparents of the older diasporans are dying out and those that left kids in 9ja, their kids have grown or some even joined parents abroad already. Need to remit maintenance money is much less now. Many people I know have no parents any more in 9ja now. Dem nor too care anymore. The parents who made them tolerate the shenanigans of other relatives are no more.

Insecurity in 9ja over last 7 years has put off many from investing in 9ja. Those already building houses before 2015/16 may have continued for a couple of years hoping things will improve or just to complete their project. Investing in a country you are not safe going to is unattractive. Many now feel they should hold on to their little change wherever they are.

Many diasporans in their 50s to 60s are coming to terms with the fact that 9ja may never settle enough, insecurity, health care and basic amenities may never improve enough for them to retire home. The retirement houses they built or planned to build may never be needed. Their kids born and raised abroad certainly won't go back to 9ja to live. These have began to affect how people invest.

Some abroad have realised that despite making much effort to spread money around to as many friends and relatives as possible, entitlement mentality and constant demands are getting worse. The impression is like " My uncle in London is too stingy, he sent me only N50,000, my auntie in US is useless, my friend in Belgium refused to buy me common iPhone and frequent Nairaland and social media threads attacking uncles and aunties abroad. People who are navigating life, raising kids, and extending a hand to support many in 9ja. Not appreciated.

This trend may get even worse unless things improve.

1 Like

Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by cosmos1440: 5:07pm On Dec 21, 2022
henro4niger:
Remember to get your PVC and vote for the best candidate, H.E Peter Obi. God bless Nigeria, God bless our incomping president, PO

Your so called PO aka Peter-Pandora-him-too-dey-lie-Obi is the worst among the presidential candidates.
Why ?
1. He is a bloody/unrepentant/incorrigible liar
2. He stole so much from Anambra state to the extent that doctors were not paid for thirteen (13) months and primary/secondary school teachers and colleges of education/Polytechnic/university lecturers in higher institutions in Anambra state were not paid for 11 months.
3. Civil servants were constantly owed and were paid on a pro-rata basis.
4. Local government administration was literally dead during P.O's maladministration.
5. Pensioners did not receive a dime from his 8 years misgovernanance/administration
6. He was so much a failure, that the PDP kicked him out and he had to use Ojukwu's goodwill to get back to office under APGA.
7. He is a textbook definition of a pitical prostitute : from PDP to APGA to PDP to LP and will soon go back to the PDP
8. stealing Anambra state government money to finance private business (hero beer and Next supermarkets in Abuja and Port Harcourt)
... in addition, Google
1. Azukwu SARS and James Nwafor
2. How many goverental agencies did he create as governor - zilch/none/nada
3. the lies of Peter Obi....

I would have continued, but for time and space.

.In a nutshell, Peter Obi is a packaged fraud

1 Like

Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by Roboto11: 5:08pm On Dec 21, 2022
Moh247:

But it means I also sent it to Naija?!

No it doesn't.

Visiting doesn't mean you send.

In fact, living abroad doesn't even men you send money.

You are a liar.
Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by Moh247: 5:09pm On Dec 21, 2022
Roboto11:

No it doesn't.

Visiting doesn't mean you send.

In fact, living abroad doesn't even men you send money.

You are a liar.

LoL

Working abroad nko, does it mean I sent it
Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by cosmos1440: 5:11pm On Dec 21, 2022
Todaymedia:
Moment Calabar Students mob Peter Obi as he arrives for Presidential Campaign

Watch Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr9VjbD-_zo

Your so called PO aka Peter-Pandora-him-too-dey-lie-Obi is the worst among the presidential candidates.
Why ?
2. He stole so much from Anambra state to the extent that doctors were not paid for thirteen (13) months and primary/secondary school teachers and colleges of education/Polytechnic/university lecturers in higher institutions in Anambra state were not paid for 11 months.
4. Local government administration was literally dead during P.O's maladministration.
5. Pensioners did not receive a dime from his 8 years misgovernanance/administration
6. He was so much a failure, that the PDP kicked him out and he had to use Ojukwu's goodwill to get back to office under APGA.
7. He is a textbook definition of a pitical prostitute : from PDP to APGA to PDP to LP and will soon go back to the PDP
8. stealing Anambra state government money to finance private business (hero beer and Next supermarkets in Abuja and Port Harcourt)
... in addition, Google

Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by KennethEnyi(m): 5:12pm On Dec 21, 2022
Useless nigerians
Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by SunMusk(m): 5:13pm On Dec 21, 2022
No no no.... Is cryto, cryto money is a hidden money. Nobody knows what is in your wallet apart from you
ednut1:
Alot of Nigerians use peer to peer to send money home. Are they being captured in all these
Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by ebufa: 5:50pm On Dec 21, 2022
FreeStuffsNG:
Impressive!! So what is now our Gini coefficient?

Most of it came from remittances to SW and these top 10 states with Edo state leading and all the 6 SW states in the top 10.

https://twitter.com/StatiSense/status/1603631547810254848?t=Hk_H6ZM4EXok_aTdaTKHhg&s=19

RECEIVING INT'L REMITTANCES

Household, %
1 �Edo — 25.3%
2 �Oyo — 14.2%
3 �Imo — 12.9%
4 �Ogun — 11.9%
5 �Lagos — 11.5%
6 �Ondo — 9.4%
7 �Delta — 9.3%
8 �Ekiti — 8.7%
9 �Abia — 7.3%
10 �Osun — 6.3%

�South East �South South �South West

#StatiSense
check my signature for free stuffs!

Mumu........the figures you quoted are not absolute amounts but a percentage of families relying on remittances.........so the southwest that brought in the evil APC regime are the ones relying the most on japa remittance! Go figure
Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by thedio(m): 6:05pm On Dec 21, 2022
undecided
dominique:
So people are japaing from Egypt too? For Egypt to be the no.1 African country in the list, that means they have a lot of citizens in the diaspora sending money home. Either that or our people in obodo oyinbo are no longer sending money home like before. They don use over billing to drive them away
They av found alternate medium. Trust Nigerians

1 Like

Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by erico2k2(m): 7:52pm On Dec 21, 2022
dominique:
Nigeria is better than Egypt. Egypt has not got the underground transmission of money as Nigeria, so we are safe to say 99% of remittance are captured, U gerriit??
Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by swedbase(m): 8:23pm On Dec 21, 2022
Moh247:
cool

It's continuously difficult to make remitances into Nigeria, WU, MG are all bullshit, PayPal is fvcked

Buhari keeps shouting Kwaraption Kwaraption about, with Emefiele setting us up like every cash in flow is linked to Yahoo and Drugs

Bitcoin Kwaraption
Westy UN Kwaraption
Money Grm Kwaraption
PayPal Kwaraption

Buhari and Emefiele are two stupid visionless idiots. They are responsible for less cash inflow. Before them i used to wire money . It was very easy to send Naira into my acct from here untill they came up with their useless policies . They made Nigeria poorer in so many areas.
Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by Babysho(m): 9:10pm On Dec 21, 2022
dominique:

It’s because it’s gotten more difficult to send money home. No platforms.
Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by ShoeWorld2(m): 10:10pm On Dec 21, 2022
airsaylongcome:

Why are they not expats?
Maybe my understanding of expats is bad. I thought expats means professionals working outside their country.
Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by Bukola94: 10:54pm On Dec 21, 2022
Tinubuwins2023e:
70% of that money is received by yahoo boys
u are so wrong
Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by airsaylongcome: 12:39am On Dec 22, 2022
ShoeWorld2:
Maybe my understanding of expats is bad. I thought expats means professionals working outside their country.

I guessed as much. Because a lot of people think expatriate refers to experts
Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by Nobody: 2:27am On Dec 22, 2022
cosmos1440:

Why ?
... in addition, Google

Lol, I will share bucket where your tears can be collected and put to good use cool
Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by Nobody: 2:30am On Dec 22, 2022
olamike02:

Pandora saint can't be my president.
Lagoon never full shocked
Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by Tycyborg(m): 8:49am On Dec 22, 2022
dominique:

I thought the remittance thing is for the country of origin government
Re: World ('diaspora') Remittances In The World From 2010 by FxMasterz: 4:05am On Mar 17, 2023
Talktalk2022:
Our uncles and aunties sending funds from abroad . UNa well done oo
This guy is a scammer. His name is Deji. They're criminals in his family. Everyone, be warned!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Business Can I Start With Little Capital? / Naira Exchange Rate Today: Dollar To Naira Black Market Rate 30 April 2024 / Food Prices Won’t Drop Immediately Despite Naira Appreciation – Economists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.