Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,735 members, 7,817,018 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:09 PM

Tinubu To Organised Labour: I’m One Of You In Fight For Good Governance - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tinubu To Organised Labour: I’m One Of You In Fight For Good Governance (13242 Views)

Presidency: PDP Needs A Salable Candidate, I’m One - Tambuwal / FG Meets With Organised Labour To Avert Impending Nationwide Protest / Minimum Wage: Organised Labour Absent At Fg's Reconciliatory Meeting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tinubu To Organised Labour: I’m One Of You In Fight For Good Governance by Estello: 6:27am On Dec 20, 2022
…says he is most qualified candidate to be President

…promises to make fiscal, monetary policies work for workers

All Progressives Congress Presidential Candidate Asiwaju Bola Tinubu has urged Organised Labour to pitch its tent with him in the 2023 presidential election, saying he has the track record for good governance.

Tinubu stated this during a Townhall meeting with Organised Labour at Chida Hotel Conference Centre in Abuja on Monday where he also said he is the most qualified to lead Nigeria among the presidential candidates.

The session, which was used to dissect the Tinubu-Shettima Action Plan for a Better Nigeria was well attended by Labour leaders from the Nigerian Labour Congress and Trade Union Congress among others.

Comrades Ayuba Wabba and Festus Osifo led the two Labour associations to the event.

Vice Presidential Candidate Senator Kashim Shettima, Speaker of the House of Representatives, Femi Gbajabiamila, Governors Simon Lalong (Plateau), Atiku Bagudu (Kebbi), Abubakar Badaru (Jigawa) and Abdulrahman Abdulrasaq (Kwara) as well as Hon James Faleke, Secretary of the Campaign Council, and other APC leaders attended the interactive session.

Former Deputy President of NLC and Director of Labour Directorate of the APC Presidential Campaign Council, Comrade Isa Aremu, set the tone for the engagement when he told the Labour leaders and workers that the choice before them and Nigerians in next election is who among the presidential candidates is truly committed, tested and trusted to protect workers and the poor and who is ready to industrialise the country to bring back decent jobs and good pay.

Comrade Aremu said Tinubu is the best to deliver on the priorities of the workers.

In his speech, the APC flagbearer who intermittently spoke off his written address said his antecedents as former Lagos State governor, during which he transformed the state and powered it to the 5th largest economy in Africa it is today, stands him out and makes him a better candidate ahead of his competitors.

Tinubu listed the problems of unemployment, lack of credit system to allow workers own houses, poverty, challenges in educational sector, weak industrial base of the economy as what he is coming to address as the President of Nigeria.

“Today, the questions you all you must ask yourselves are these: who can be trusted to accomplish all of this? The man who has done it before, or the man whose most lasting achievement as Vice President is the corrupt sale of national assets to his friends and cronies?

“Who has the better plan? The man whose blueprint guided the emergence of Lagos State as fifth largest economy in Africa or the man whose greatest pride is the amount of money he managed to bury in sand while his state’s infrastructure decayed and its workers suffered endless hardship?

“The choice is yours. But permit me to now talk a little about myself and my vision.

“I have always been and will continue to be a progressive democrat. In my worldview, government has a cardinal responsibility to work not only with business but also with labour to ensure that all constituent parts of our society are afforded their fair share of rewards without taking on undue hardship,” Tinubu said.

Further speaking on what stands him out, Tinubu said just like the labour leaders, he has been in the forefront of fighting the government for good governance all his life, a move for which he was detained and eventually forced into exile.

He added: “As Organised Labour, you have been at the forefront of the workers’ rights movement in Nigeria, championing economic fairness and the welfare of the average person, the weak and the forgotten.

“You have also been involved in the struggle for democracy and political rights. Your collective efforts breathe life into the democratic rights and economic ideals enshrined in our constitution.

“I can speak fondly of your impact on our nation because of my personal history on the frontlines of the social justice movement.

“I may be running for president now, but I was not always in this position. Long before I started running for the presidency, I was running away from military dictators angered by my important role in protests against them and their efforts to vanquish our democratic aspirations.

“The defining moment of my public life came during Nigeria’s struggle for democracy and my membership in the National Democratic Coalition (NADECO) movement.

“I have dedicated my entire being to that cause. I was detained, then was forced into exile because of my refusal to accept anything less than a government based on the proposition that the will of the people is sovereign and should reign over armed might and imposition.

“I believe that those assembled here today share the same ideals of progressive and democratic good governance. I have spent my political life advocating for the rights and interests of ordinary Nigerians as you also do. We have long been fellow travellers on the same road. I hope that we shall continue as friends and brothers.

On his plans if elected, Tinubu said his administration would make the fiscal and monetary policies work for the workers and Nigerians so they can have a good life.

He also said he would ensure the nation is massively industrialised to give more people better paying jobs, while also opening doors to more emerging sectors younger ones can harness.

“My Action Plan for a Better Nigeria, sets out a vision of opportunity, social justice and prosperity for all. I seek a Nigeria where sufficient jobs with decent wages give people the chance to live better lives. Where the private sector thrives, we will not disrupt it. However, where the private sector cannot do it alone, my government will take the lead in lending a helping hand.

“For young Nigerians, my goal will be to open the doors wide to emerging sectors such as the digital economy, entertainment and culture, and tourism. Specific policies will empower women and young people to become more active in our nation’s leadership.

“Our industrial policy will help Nigerian businesses manufacture, create, and invent more of the goods and services we require and to export more of those products across the globe. We will modernise and expand public infrastructure to create jobs, develop skills and spur rapid growth across all economic sectors, giving real opportunity to those who previously only dreamed of it.”

He also added that his government would protect Nigerians and their property, strengthen the national security architecture to end terror, kidnapping, banditry, and all other forms of violent extremism and bring policing and the police closer to the communities they serve.

He promised to foster a closer partnership with Organised Labour where dialogue on major policy issues and cooperation will become the order of the day.

Deputy Director-General of the APC PCC, Comrade Adams Oshiomhole, noted that Tinubu's Action Plan will bring back dead industries like Kaduna Textile that once employed over 4000 workers.

Oshiomhole charged the labour movement and civil society that the basis for their support for a presidential candidate should be who among the candidates has social and economic policies that will make life better for the working families in Nigeria. The former Edo State Governor said Asiwaju Tinubu is the best candidate for the workers to adopt because of his antecedents as a successful governor in Lagos.

NLC President, Comrade Wabba presented the workers' charter of demands which include a total war on corruption.

According to him, corruption has almost destroyed the social and economic fabrics of Nigeria across the private and public sectors and a reason the country is not making desired progress.

"In Nigeria, our problem is people problem and we must have a government that will prioritise the fight against corruption. This is a key demand of Labour. We also need government that will make social and economic justice a priority," he said.

Responding to a question on corruption, Asíwájú Tinubu said his administration would have a zero-tolerance to corruption by strengthening anti-corruption agencies.

On crude out theft, he said if elected, he would ensure maximum deployment of technology to monitor, protect pipelines and block theft, while also condemning those receiving stolen crude, saying if there is no receiver, there won't be supplier.

Tinubu Media Office
Tunde Rahman
December 18, 2022
https://theeagleonline.com.ng/tinubu-to-organised-labour-im-one-of-you-in-fight-for-good-governance/

32 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Tinubu To Organised Labour: I’m One Of You In Fight For Good Governance by derecho(m): 6:29am On Dec 20, 2022
Kikikiki... Tell us when you finish lying to the press.
It was even the Lagos teachers that christened him Ojuyobo when he was governor. He made sure, they were underpaid and removed Ambode for trying to payoff pensioners in 3months.

145 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Tinubu To Organised Labour: I’m One Of You In Fight For Good Governance by TheWordM: 6:35am On Dec 20, 2022
Damn.
Re: Tinubu To Organised Labour: I’m One Of You In Fight For Good Governance by Sannisege: 6:36am On Dec 20, 2022
Thank you my incoming president. Haters can go visit their convicted campaign DG in jail.

51 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Tinubu To Organised Labour: I’m One Of You In Fight For Good Governance by Nathphil(m): 6:36am On Dec 20, 2022
If you are one of us where is our own bullion van ?

163 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Tinubu To Organised Labour: I’m One Of You In Fight For Good Governance by hezy4real01(m): 6:36am On Dec 20, 2022
One of my major challenge with BAT is the audacity "I am this and that" but mehn we can't avoid to miss again this time, people are suffering already! Obi is better

181 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Tinubu To Organised Labour: I’m One Of You In Fight For Good Governance by BrickDevo: 6:36am On Dec 20, 2022
Big liar

73 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Tinubu To Organised Labour: I’m One Of You In Fight For Good Governance by Nobody: 6:37am On Dec 20, 2022
They will labour till they die-tinubu

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tinubu To Organised Labour: I’m One Of You In Fight For Good Governance by drips8(m): 6:37am On Dec 20, 2022
This man is very funny

83 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tinubu To Organised Labour: I’m One Of You In Fight For Good Governance by Nobody: 6:37am On Dec 20, 2022
Sannisege:
Thank you my incoming president. Haters can go visit their convicted campaign DG in jail.
I rebuke you and your master in the name of Jesus Christ

150 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Tinubu To Organised Labour: I’m One Of You In Fight For Good Governance by Wickedfacts: 6:38am On Dec 20, 2022
Revolution2022:
I rebuke you and your master in the name of Jesus Christ

Obi will still join Okupe and other shishi-thieves in jail.

25 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Tinubu To Organised Labour: I’m One Of You In Fight For Good Governance by CheapHomes1: 6:39am On Dec 20, 2022
“I have dedicated my entire being to that cause. I was detained, then was forced into exile because of my refusal to accept anything less than a government based on the proposition that the will of the people is sovereign and should reign over armed might and imposition."

But Tinubus followers contradict Tinubu. They say he handpicked his successors. It seems Tinubu doesn't practice what he oreaches

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu To Organised Labour: I’m One Of You In Fight For Good Governance by Akwamkpuruamu: 6:39am On Dec 20, 2022
Story. Who u wan decieve?

24 Likes

Re: Tinubu To Organised Labour: I’m One Of You In Fight For Good Governance by BabaCommander: 6:39am On Dec 20, 2022
Getting too late man.

HE Tinubu should try and contact me for a highly inportant info.

Tinubu may lose out totally come 2023 if care is not taken.

14 Likes

Re: Tinubu To Organised Labour: I’m One Of You In Fight For Good Governance by Kentuforchrist(m): 6:39am On Dec 20, 2022
We know you are lying but continue

Your urchins in nairaland and iragbaji can eat your lies sir

41 Likes

Re: Tinubu To Organised Labour: I’m One Of You In Fight For Good Governance by Wickedfacts: 6:39am On Dec 20, 2022
As at when Tinubu was fighting for the restoration of democracy, Peter Obi was still selling cocaine with his late father.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tinubu To Organised Labour: I’m One Of You In Fight For Good Governance by Nobody: 6:39am On Dec 20, 2022
Nigeria just need the best of the best. We can't continue to go backward. APC did do bad that it's making it difficult for Tinubu. He too no come sound well lately giving gaffes like Atiku.

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Tinubu To Organised Labour: I’m One Of You In Fight For Good Governance by ZIKORAMAMACHI: 6:39am On Dec 20, 2022
So Tinubu is now a member of Labour? Politics

11 Likes

Re: Tinubu To Organised Labour: I’m One Of You In Fight For Good Governance by Wickedfacts: 6:40am On Dec 20, 2022
Akwamkpuruamu:
Story. Who u wan decieve?

When Tinubu was fighting for restoration of democracy, where una papa dey?

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Tinubu To Organised Labour: I’m One Of You In Fight For Good Governance by Wickedfacts: 6:40am On Dec 20, 2022
ZIKORAMAMACHI:
So Tinubu is now a member of Labour? Politics

Your problem is not politics. You are just naturally daft.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tinubu To Organised Labour: I’m One Of You In Fight For Good Governance by Irupetepete: 6:40am On Dec 20, 2022
grin
Lori iro

2 Likes

Re: Tinubu To Organised Labour: I’m One Of You In Fight For Good Governance by futuregovernor: 6:41am On Dec 20, 2022
Lies lies,Buhari promise more than this

6 Likes

Re: Tinubu To Organised Labour: I’m One Of You In Fight For Good Governance by jabberjawz: 6:41am On Dec 20, 2022
Oga, Nigerians are wiser now, we can't be fooled a 2nd time...!

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu To Organised Labour: I’m One Of You In Fight For Good Governance by futuregovernor: 6:42am On Dec 20, 2022
Wickedfacts:

And were your papa been dey,were was he? He is still unknown.

17 Likes

Re: Tinubu To Organised Labour: I’m One Of You In Fight For Good Governance by ShaqFu: 6:42am On Dec 20, 2022
Hmmm
Re: Tinubu To Organised Labour: I’m One Of You In Fight For Good Governance by olahero(m): 6:42am On Dec 20, 2022
Good

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tinubu To Organised Labour: I’m One Of You In Fight For Good Governance by Akwamkpuruamu: 6:43am On Dec 20, 2022
Wickedfacts:

Same place your papa that you have no respect for and trying to drag the old man out this morning on social media dey

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu To Organised Labour: I’m One Of You In Fight For Good Governance by pikechukwu6(m): 6:43am On Dec 20, 2022
cheesy cheesy where were him when we funish Nigeria kwatakwata

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tinubu To Organised Labour: I’m One Of You In Fight For Good Governance by Tsolutionjoseph: 6:43am On Dec 20, 2022
They are all corrupt,but believe me, Tinubu is a good man, and always want the best for people around him, and Nigerians will not be different, wisest people will not even step out on election day, but the most foolish will support Peter Obi, whose his regime was full of crises, ordinary a state, 9months doctor strike, if u must vote, vote Tinubu, the link below says it all

onlyhttps://saharareporters.com/2011/08/12/anambra-workers-declare-war-governor-obi

7 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Reno Omokri: Money Saved By Obi In Anambra Was An Investment For Him Not State / Emefiele Pleads Not Guilty To Unlawful Possession Of Firearm / Akeredolu: I Have Lost My Friend And Brother – Fayemi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.