Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,134 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:50 AM

Have You Received Your Elon Musk Starlink Equipment - Science/Technology (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Have You Received Your Elon Musk Starlink Equipment (1695 Views)

Spacex CEO Elon Musk To Send Japanese Billionaire To The Moon On It’s New Rocket / Elon Musk Deletes Telsa and SpaceX's Facebook Page / Elon Musk Launches Car To Space on World's Most Powerful Rocket(Photos/Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Received Your Elon Musk Starlink Equipment by 222Martins(m): 3:35pm On Feb 16, 2023
6th of February 2023
Jakumo:

When did you pay for the system and place your order? Shipping is stated to require 2 to 4 weeks before delivery, but I am curious to see whether that delivery time estimate is accurate, high or low.
Re: Have You Received Your Elon Musk Starlink Equipment by Jakumo(m): 4:03pm On Feb 16, 2023
222Martins:
6th of February 2023

What? Are you kidding me? You got the Starlink gear delivered just one week after you placed the order?

I forgot to ask whether you are within or outside Nigeria. If you are currently within Nigeria, was the Starlink equipment sent from Lagos, from the EU or from the USA?
Re: Have You Received Your Elon Musk Starlink Equipment by 222Martins(m): 5:24pm On Feb 16, 2023
I don't know where it was shipped from....But it was delivered to my house here in Nigeria.
Jakumo:

What? Are you kidding me? You got the Starlink gear delivered just one week after you placed the order?

I forgot to ask whether you are within or outside Nigeria. If you are currently within Nigeria, was the Starlink equipment sent from Lagos, from the EU or from the USA?
Re: Have You Received Your Elon Musk Starlink Equipment by Jakumo(m): 8:13pm On Feb 16, 2023
222Martins:
I don't know where it was shipped from....But it was delivered to my house here in Nigeria.

Wonderment. For you to have received that Starlink equipment just nine days after paying for it and placing an order, Elon Musk must have established a secret warehouse either in Lagos or Abuja, rather than export the gear one at a time from the EU or USA. This is very good news for Nigeria.
Re: Have You Received Your Elon Musk Starlink Equipment by confluence: 8:48pm On Feb 16, 2023
I have been doing random speed test, speed test I have been getting has been between 30 to 170Mbps
Plenty of trees in my compound still trying to get the best location

Re: Have You Received Your Elon Musk Starlink Equipment by Jakumo(m): 9:25pm On Feb 16, 2023
confluence:
I have been doing random speed test, speed test I have been getting has been between 30 to 170Mbps
Plenty of trees in my compound still trying to get the best location

By way of comparison, what sort of speeds were you seeing with a normal phone company internet link in your area?
Re: Have You Received Your Elon Musk Starlink Equipment by Nobody: 11:04pm On Feb 17, 2023
Received mine today, mounted on the roof. I get speeds up to 170 - 300mbs.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Received Your Elon Musk Starlink Equipment by TheScienceTutor: 11:46pm On Feb 17, 2023
Please everyone.
I run an Online math tutoring business.
I teach online and the Nigerian network system here disgraced me yesterday night when MTN was off throughout the night and I was supposed to teach one of my clients in the US.

For now I'm making enough money to set up an alternative internet but not making enough to afford Starlink. I can pay for the monthly subscription but buying the equipment is the main issue

Please suggest an alternative Internet Service Provider for me that is different from MTN, Airtel and Glo that would allow me to run my business smoothly without worrying about what happens when MTN network is down.

Please don't emphasize too much on Starlink because any internet service Provider with a decent speed of at least 30Mb/s should be enough for a Zoom meeting which is exactly what Online Tutoring is about.

Thanks for your time.

1 Like

Re: Have You Received Your Elon Musk Starlink Equipment by Jakumo(m): 6:45am On Feb 18, 2023
grossintel:
Received mine today, mounted on the roof. I get speeds up to 170 - 230mbs.

This is one truly impressive internet speed performance. I would strongly advise anyone contemplating a purchase of the Starlink system to go ahead and pull the trigger NOW QUICKLY because powerful and connected people MIGHT try to prevent this system from being widely adopted in Nigeria once these phenomenal connections speeds become widely known to the Nigerian population because all other internet providers will DIE a natural death and go out of business as they deserve so richly.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Received Your Elon Musk Starlink Equipment by Ajalalomo: 10:24am On Feb 18, 2023
Showing a one time payment of 268,584 naira for Hardware and a monthly payment of 19260 naira for the service.
Is this the right amount?
Re: Have You Received Your Elon Musk Starlink Equipment by dustmalik: 11:15am On Feb 18, 2023
Ajalalomo:
Showing a one time payment of 268,584 naira for Hardware and a monthly payment of 19260 naira for the service.
Is this the right amount?
The site's payment gateway charges in dollars. At the point of payment, you will get a pop up of $587.93 charge, so you can only pay with a dollar denominated card. Naira debit cards will not work.
Re: Have You Received Your Elon Musk Starlink Equipment by Ajalalomo: 11:52am On Feb 18, 2023
dustmalik:

The site's payment gateway charges in dollars. At the point of payment, you will get a pop up of $587.93 charge, so you can only pay with a dollar denominated card. Naira debit cards will not work.

The difference in the price they advertised (268k naira) compared to what I will eventually pay ($587) is a lot.

I guess they arrived at this 268k naira by using the Nigerian government official rate for dollar which is impossible to get.

Dollars black market rate is around 750 naira to $1

Anyway, thank you for the info.
Re: Have You Received Your Elon Musk Starlink Equipment by confluence: 1:23am On Feb 19, 2023
It can be very bad for several hours , and sometimes you can be lucky, just like this now I tried doing speed the speed test when I saw your message, see the result
Jakumo:

By way of comparison, what sort of speeds were you seeing with a normal phone company internet link in your area?

Re: Have You Received Your Elon Musk Starlink Equipment by Jakumo(m): 5:21am On Feb 19, 2023
confluence:
It can be very bad for several hours , and sometimes you can be lucky, just like this now I tried doing speed the speed test when I saw your message, see the result

Is it possible that you have a lot of trees around your house that are interfering with the signal? There is a Starlink app that one can download onto a smartphone in order to scan the area around where the outdoor Starlink antenna is to be installed. With that app, any trees that need trimming will be identified, or alternatively, a different installation site could be chosen for the outdoor antenna.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Received Your Elon Musk Starlink Equipment by confluence: 6:19am On Feb 19, 2023
Yes, already installed the app.
Jakumo:

Is it possible that you have a lot of trees around your house that are interfering with the signal? There is a Starlink app that one can download onto a smartphone in order to scan the area around where the outdoor Starlink antenna is to be installed. With that app, any trees that need trimming will be identified, or alternatively, a different installation site could be chosen for the outdoor antenna.
Re: Have You Received Your Elon Musk Starlink Equipment by Nobody: 8:11am On Feb 19, 2023
confluence:
I don’t experience this, I believe you have a lot of obstructions like threes and tall buildings, try changing position.
Re: Have You Received Your Elon Musk Starlink Equipment by dustmalik: 8:42am On Feb 19, 2023
grossintel:
I don’t experience this, I believe you have a lot of obstructions like threes and tall buildings, try changing position.
The failed speedtest is on MTN LTE not Starlink.

1 Like

Re: Have You Received Your Elon Musk Starlink Equipment by confluence: 11:06am On Feb 19, 2023
Yes
dustmalik:

The failed speedtest is on MTN LTE not Starlink.
Re: Have You Received Your Elon Musk Starlink Equipment by Jakumo(m): 11:12am On Feb 19, 2023
Hmm e get as e be o. Man pikin request to see Starlink speedometer, but na MTN own when don kukma die finish, wey dem come show am.

Diariz God o. All dis broads dey are sharing in Abuja. Diariz God o.

But na only me wakka come, my fellow widows, so far I prefer make I rather die than commit suicide because of Starlink speedometer test.
Re: Have You Received Your Elon Musk Starlink Equipment by confluence: 3:27pm On May 26, 2023
Starlink getting better everyday

Re: Have You Received Your Elon Musk Starlink Equipment by Jakumo(m): 9:08am On May 27, 2023
confluence:
Starlink getting better everyday

That is the phenomenal speed you are getting. I reside in a jungle where there are lots of trees full of pesky monkeys who I suspect might be phucking with my Starlink when they note that I am not watching with my BB gun ready.

My best downlink speed thus far has been a paltry 85 MBPS, but I don't want to destroy trees, so I'll live with that since I am not doing any movie-watching. Hopefully as Elon Musk adds more satellites to the constellation, my signal will improve.
Re: Have You Received Your Elon Musk Starlink Equipment by easyyoke: 4:43am On May 31, 2023
Jakumo:

That is the phenomenal speed you are getting. I reside in a jungle where there are lots of trees full of pesky monkeys who I suspect might be phucking with my Starlink when they note that I am not watching with my BB gun ready.

My best downlink speed thus far has been a paltry 85 MBPS, but I don't want to destroy trees, so I'll live with that since I am not doing any movie-watching. Hopefully as Elon Musk adds more satellites to the constellation, my signal will improve.

Did you just call 85MBPS, “paltry”? 😂😅 No be your fault. Na Elon Musk give you mouth to talk. Some people on Fibre in Lagos cant even boast of 50MBPS… You dey call 85MBPS paltry

(1) (2) (Reply)

Watch Tv With Your Desktop Or Laptop. 100% Legal / Physicists Lounge / Treanding MTN Used Recharged Card Cheat 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.