Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,851 members, 7,813,894 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:52 PM

What’s So Special About The UK That Nigerians Are Fleeing To? - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What’s So Special About The UK That Nigerians Are Fleeing To? (52735 Views)

BLACKLIVESMATTER: Is This What Awaits African-americans Fleeing To South Africa? / Fleeing To The US ... A Word To The Wise. / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What’s So Special About The UK That Nigerians Are Fleeing To? by 7arrows: 1:58pm On Jan 07, 2023
Idaytesj29:

Teachers sef go follow suit now

As NIGERIA no offer anything aside from hardship and bad governance. U.K go help us take our best hands since our government no value us.
Re: What’s So Special About The UK That Nigerians Are Fleeing To? by Nobody: 1:59pm On Jan 07, 2023
bdon123:

Guy most of us no get time to learn language.i no even sabi my mother tongue yet n u xpect me to learn german

Lol...you are right..

However, learning a new language can be very useful.

That's why if you want to go to countries outside the anglosphere, go as a undergraduate student. You get time off to learn the language, as well as a lot of help to do so., before you start studies.
Re: What’s So Special About The UK That Nigerians Are Fleeing To? by generalwo(m): 1:59pm On Jan 07, 2023
Positiveme2020:

You can do it yourself.
.... Abeg put me through
Re: What’s So Special About The UK That Nigerians Are Fleeing To? by tunapawizzy: 2:02pm On Jan 07, 2023
pansophist:

This is why lots of Nigerian immigrants go through hell to be in over-saturated places like the UK and the US. The world is huge, you cant limit yourself to anglophone countries because you don't want to learn a new language.

And if you actually want to live a rich life, learning a new language is one of them. Language is the vehicle in which cultures relate to the outside world, you miss out big time if you speak just one, or even a few.
The reality of a lot of people is different from what u imagine. People have families to cater for, Careers to nurture, school work to attend to, these are people in their 30s and 40s already. Where is the time n space to learn language. Lots of people even need to work to pay their tuition while they still fend for their kids. There's so much to learning a new language. It's better done with fewer worries and fewer engagement. It needs time n effort n sacrifice. The people that choose English speaking countries understand their realities and they made the right choice. Maybe younger ones that have a lot of time but definitely people approaching mid 30s and so on don't have that luxury

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What’s So Special About The UK That Nigerians Are Fleeing To? by Talawaka: 2:09pm On Jan 07, 2023
zoedew:

Considering the population of Nigerians who live in U.K. the typical Nigerian feels more at home there than anywhere else outside the shores of Nigeria.

What say you about those silently japa-ing to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia then?
UK today, UK tomorrow, as though this is the only country Nigerians migrate to cool

Onyeama said that there were many strong bonds between Saudi Arabia and Nigeria.

“The people-to-people contact is there, the religious contact is there and then the solidarity that has been built up as oil-producing exporting countries has also been there,” he added.

“The largest number of Nigerians outside of Nigeria will be found in Saudi Arabia, Nigerians have been coming to Saudi Arabia for generations now, three, four, five generations."

Source: https://www.arabnews.com/node/2181251/saudi-arabia

1 Like

Re: What’s So Special About The UK That Nigerians Are Fleeing To? by gbagyiza: 2:12pm On Jan 07, 2023
fullnetwork:
I'm sure it's either you've never been to 9ja or you can't tell good from the bad.

Please, understand the guy's post. He is aware of what you just typed above but he is saying that, why do more Nigerians prefer going to the UK than going to other good European countries for greener pastures?
Re: What’s So Special About The UK That Nigerians Are Fleeing To? by Toks2008(m): 2:14pm On Jan 07, 2023
Cashsteady:
UK is currently facing serious economic crisis and some other few crises too but why do Nigerians keep flocking UK .. There are other by far better countries in Europe that offers everything way better than UK..

You will be surprised to see the population of Nigerians in London..you will think you are in Lagos ..Nigerians just scatter for London..

Try Germany, Netherlands. Denmark, Norway Even France ..this countries ain’t bad either

With the economic crises, UK is still a million times better than Nigeria.

Know this and know Peace.
Re: What’s So Special About The UK That Nigerians Are Fleeing To? by Toks2008(m): 2:15pm On Jan 07, 2023
gbagyiza:

Please, understand the guy's post. He is aware of what you just typed above but he is saying that, why do more Nigerians prefer going to the UK than going to other good European countries for greener pastures?

Other European countries come to UK for greener pastures.
Re: What’s So Special About The UK That Nigerians Are Fleeing To? by Samkuljax(m): 2:20pm On Jan 07, 2023
Cashsteady:
UK is currently facing serious economic crisis and some other few crises too but why do Nigerians keep flocking UK .. There are other by far better countries in Europe that offers everything way better than UK..

You will be surprised to see the population of Nigerians in London..you will think you are in Lagos ..Nigerians just scatter for London..

Try Germany, Netherlands. Denmark, Norway Even France ..this countries ain’t bad either

Even finland
Re: What’s So Special About The UK That Nigerians Are Fleeing To? by SeriouslySense(m): 2:20pm On Jan 07, 2023
That's accurate.

InvertedHammer:

/

Nigeria is the worst slave camp in the world.

Look around you. It is extremely difficult to free a slave who doesn't know that s/he is a slave.

/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What’s So Special About The UK That Nigerians Are Fleeing To? by achimendy(m): 2:21pm On Jan 07, 2023
Cashsteady:

My brother pounds na ur mate, abi you wan use am compare naira?
Re: What’s So Special About The UK That Nigerians Are Fleeing To? by planetx: 2:22pm On Jan 07, 2023
UK is a dump only for desperate immigrants.
Re: What’s So Special About The UK That Nigerians Are Fleeing To? by SeriouslySense(m): 2:22pm On Jan 07, 2023
Most of us dont read, or maybe we don't read to understand, we read to hurry up, i observed it too.

It is not even a big write up, just short sentences and they could not bother to finish reading it.

gbagyiza:

Re: What’s So Special About The UK That Nigerians Are Fleeing To? by planetx: 2:26pm On Jan 07, 2023
vengertime:
I have so many of my siblings there, UK Na from hand to mouth everybody dey do there .

If you want to Japa go to USA and Canada stay away from UK
UK is a dump and a glorified shithole, saturated with third world immigrants.

1 Like

Re: What’s So Special About The UK That Nigerians Are Fleeing To? by Gwan2(m): 2:29pm On Jan 07, 2023
Acidosis:

Someone with 400k pounds (~350 million naira) in Nigeria should go and learn digital marketing in the UK?

cheesy cheesy

Baba, I weak for Sukkot.........Very poor economic advice

I'd rather buy one of those dilapidated houses that are on bid or on sales, used like 50k pounds renovate and then sell it. That is the easiest way to make legit 50k-100k pounds profit within the margin of 3 months in the UK.

The rich Indians and Chinese have mastered it and are making a killing out of it.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What’s So Special About The UK That Nigerians Are Fleeing To? by planetx: 2:38pm On Jan 07, 2023
sukkot:
uk is actually the best place to be on the planet right now BUT you must migrate there with like 400 thousand pounds to enjoy it. anything less than that and uk becomes the worst place to be on planet earth. when you enter with the 400k pounds you look for house for areas like new cross ( try not to go to places where you are the only black person. go to where you are close to your culture and foods. new cross is beside peckham but far enough not to be in the madness ), buy a house in new cross for 300 thousand pounds cash down. then just relax and enjoy your life without worrying about slaving to find expensive rent that will eat all your salary. so now that you have house paid for just learn a digital skill and do it from home 24 7 electricity and you are not far from naija people and foods ( peckham ). this is how you enjoy london . if you go to london as a broke man you are OYO ooooo. me i done talk my own sha
Nigerians that can afford £400k which is like 0.001% will not migrate to that shithole, I know you are joking anyway.

2 Likes

Re: What’s So Special About The UK That Nigerians Are Fleeing To? by Desusi: 2:39pm On Jan 07, 2023
Broveens42:

You are wrong. The average Nigerian with that slave mentality would Wana leave for any of those European countries mentioned by op..

Let German government make an announcement they would be needing 500 thousand Nigerians ....trust me, the number of entries would exceed 50 million..
would you say they considered language?
Is that how easy to move from one country to another? You think,their borders are as porous as chad and Nigeria or as Cameroon and Niger. Continue.
Re: What’s So Special About The UK That Nigerians Are Fleeing To? by Berankis: 2:41pm On Jan 07, 2023
fullnetwork:

You that can't even cough in the face of impunity, stealing, government brutality the Nigerian politicians serve you everyday is calling people who have all the good things of life slave.
My God forgive you.
grin grin grin
Re: What’s So Special About The UK That Nigerians Are Fleeing To? by Graciafun(m): 2:58pm On Jan 07, 2023
Maybe the weight of their banknotes. A pound sterling is worth more over here.
Re: What’s So Special About The UK That Nigerians Are Fleeing To? by PurestBoy(m): 3:02pm On Jan 07, 2023
4 of my closed friends relocated to UK last month with their families. Can't wait to Japa too

5 Likes

Re: What’s So Special About The UK That Nigerians Are Fleeing To? by Goodman247: 3:03pm On Jan 07, 2023
planetx:
UK is a dump only for desperate immigrants.
if you call uk a dump, how do you call your Nigeria,
Re: What’s So Special About The UK That Nigerians Are Fleeing To? by Orch1981: 3:03pm On Jan 07, 2023
God go punish anybody wey follow vote in Apc in 2015 and 2019 and planning to Japa e no go better for una family una go die where ever una run to because na una cause this suffering Nigeria today

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What’s So Special About The UK That Nigerians Are Fleeing To? by vickydevoka(m): 3:04pm On Jan 07, 2023
Cashsteady:

I don't know o. Buy if u can come here single n stay here five years n go back 9ja it's ok. I can save 100 million a n above as single within 5 years. Buy as married couple u no go save 1 Naira
Re: What’s So Special About The UK That Nigerians Are Fleeing To? by pansophist(m): 3:11pm On Jan 07, 2023
BRATISLAVA:

How many languages do you speak at a professional level?

At a professional level, I speak two languages. English and Dutch. At a conversational level, I speak Polish. Apart from English, I learned Polish and Dutch on my own. No language school is involved since I am an autodidact by nature and do better studying on my own than via traditional school.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: What’s So Special About The UK That Nigerians Are Fleeing To? by pansophist(m): 3:12pm On Jan 07, 2023
tunapawizzy:

The reality of a lot of people is different from what u imagine. People have families to cater for, Careers to nurture, school work to attend to, these are people in their 30s and 40s already. Where is the time n space to learn language. Lots of people even need to work to pay their tuition while they still fend for their kids. There's so much to learning a new language. It's better done with fewer worries and fewer engagement. It needs time n effort n sacrifice. The people that choose English speaking countries understand their realities and they made the right choice. Maybe younger ones that have a lot of time but definitely people approaching mid 30s and so on don't have that luxury

I get it. But it's about picking one suffering. Places where you have to learn a language might offer more opportunities than others.

2 Likes

Re: What’s So Special About The UK That Nigerians Are Fleeing To? by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 3:17pm On Jan 07, 2023
fullnetwork:

Your second question brings us back to the topic. The op seems to be blind or in self denial. If we acknowledge that we are on ground zero, our reasoning will begin to support progress.
Your third question. If "you" refers to me as an individual, then there is no need for further discussion. If it refers to us a "a people" I will be happy we exchange views on the way forward.
And actions (especially) will begin to support progress
Re: What’s So Special About The UK That Nigerians Are Fleeing To? by Orch1981: 3:21pm On Jan 07, 2023
If you follow vote Apc in 2015 and 19 now looking escape route may it never be well with you and you family because they warn you about buhari in 2015 as they are warning now
Better stay back and reap what you sow
Re: What’s So Special About The UK That Nigerians Are Fleeing To? by pinkasso: 3:27pm On Jan 07, 2023
The op should tell those in UK how those other European countries are better than UK,..to migrate to UK and settle nah beans? person go just dey house with small money for account go just dey play by asking questions without making his/her own research.
Now help me ask the op which European country they offer the most job opportunities covering different skill areas with the most pay?...
gbagyiza:

Re: What’s So Special About The UK That Nigerians Are Fleeing To? by Moye715: 3:28pm On Jan 07, 2023
Cus we are back to the days of slavery, this time in a deliberate way. UK economy is much dependent on black manpower not even now that they're out of EU so they'll have to get it with any means possible. Foolish Nigerians are rushing over there with the "better life" mantra. This is what you get when ur history is deprived from you, you'll have a generation that doesn't know who they are, where they are coming from also no idea of where they are going.. It's a shame!!
Nigerians are for sale on the global labour market.
Are you a commodity to be bought?

5 Likes

Re: What’s So Special About The UK That Nigerians Are Fleeing To? by pinkasso: 3:36pm On Jan 07, 2023
Nah married couple without pickin they save pass ooh no just go there..my guy for Sheffield as a medical doctor he was called several day to cover shift, he was paid £75 per hour add the wife own join they saved over =N=4m in December alone after tax , rent and feeding expenses..
vickydevoka:

I don't know o. Buy if u can come here single n stay here five years n go back 9ja it's ok. I can save 100 million a n above as single within 5 years. Buy as married couple u no go save 1 Naira

2 Likes

Re: What’s So Special About The UK That Nigerians Are Fleeing To? by dealslip(f): 3:38pm On Jan 07, 2023
Pierocash:
Those countries you mentioned have language barriers ,that is why they move to UK.

It is easier to settle faster in UK than Germany and Netherlands due to language issue
Language barrier is low in Netherlands. English is 96% spoken in Amsterdam and about 60% in other parts. It's easy to settle there too. I am an school admissions agent to a university in Netherlands so I know this.

2 Likes

Re: What’s So Special About The UK That Nigerians Are Fleeing To? by Moye715: 3:39pm On Jan 07, 2023
Sweetplum:
You dey craze?
What's so bad in Nigeria that you can't stay back.

How many Nigerians v luxury of studying proper English not to talk of dutch or German. The economy here is so poor that Nigerians trying to survive in ordinary Cotonou, Togo, Libya, Sudan, Ghana etc is as much as those in UK. We just want to live anywhere that we can see daily bread. No one want to deliberately go to a country with economic crisis but if their crisis is better than where they came from, they ll go. Sort your home first and see that Nigerians love their home more than anywhere!

I never knew speaking English is a luxury. someone like you will sheepishly nod to a Chinese or Arab man's english. You are irredeemable !

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Which Country Can One Relocate To With ₦3 Million? / Drone Crashes Into Spewing Volcano In Iceland (Photo, Video) / Helicopter Flying Couple To The Airport For Honeymoon Crashes In Texas (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.