Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,333 members, 7,815,657 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:04 PM

What Scares You The Most About Relocating Abroad? - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Scares You The Most About Relocating Abroad? (24374 Views)

"You Have No Business Relocating Abroad If You’re 40 & Above" Abroad-based Lady / Please What Are The Chances Of A 40 Year Old Man Relocating Abroad? / What Scares You The Most About Relocating Abroad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Scares You The Most About Relocating Abroad? by Tunagee(m): 8:50am On Jan 03, 2023
Eriokanmi:
This is one of the major challenges they face. I met a guy in Chicago in 2018. He moved in from Europe. Last year, his dad died, the man who spent his hard-earned money on his education, including his master's degree in Europe. He only cried his heart out but couldn't come home cos he had no papers yet. I advised him to return to Europe since he had their papers and work or he applied for work in USA and processed his papers from EU and emigrate legit. He didn't listen, till his US visa expired in hands. He had already completed his programme before he left for USA from Europe. He's been visiting USA from Europe as a student all along.

Even some can't afford to visit yearly, regardless of their status over there. Once they look at that money, they change their mind. They'd prefer sending that money instead meanwhile, money can't buy relationship and family. Seeing your parents and relations around you alone is more healing than any medication.

Here despite the economic situation, people would dash those in need here money freely , despite not earning so much but ask them in the Diaspora to do same, they could block your lines forever. I understand it's not that easy over there. I pray we get leadership right this year so our economy and country can fare better and people can come home and invest. I crave family so much. I can't afford to spend a quarter without seeing my lovely parents and siblings. I like being with people around me.
Over there , everyone is afraid of neighbours. Here you can barge into your neighbour's house and ask if they have chilled water inside their fridge or anything to munch, out of love. You can't do that over there. They'd call police at the slightest suspicion. You could be living with the neighbour next door for months and yet, you're not seeing each other and that's why people commit suicide more easily there. Nobody to share thoughts with and by the time they add one plus one, they've ended it before you know it.

For me, I like putting my money down for whatever I like without anyone coming to me and be asking me to pay for one gbese. If I want to build house, I build and move on, same if I want to buy car. Mortgage and stuffs aren't my style. I be African man, original.

I love your comment. Makes a lot of sense!!!!!
Re: What Scares You The Most About Relocating Abroad? by Litmus: 9:35am On Jan 03, 2023
Bahamas95:
Lol, which USA? It's obvious you don't understand my comment.

Maybe not you but I understand USA. I have a large extended family in Nigeria, and apart from during the civil war (historic), none have died at the hands of anyone. But my cousin died less than a week of landing in America. Shot in the middle of the head for knocking on the wrong door.
Re: What Scares You The Most About Relocating Abroad? by Tunagee(m): 11:10am On Jan 03, 2023
Asj001:
Those saying racism should just stop. You'd likely experience little to no racism in the US. The tribalism in naija is even way more. FYI, I live in US and that's my experience so far.

Little or no racism? but police brutality on the black race is endemic
Re: What Scares You The Most About Relocating Abroad? by Tunagee(m): 11:14am On Jan 03, 2023
saysoo:

Thank you Big brother for this write up.
How can this write up get to people?
I have friends in USA,LONDON,SCOTLAND,SAUDI ARABIA,CHINA, Those in US have not come back for over 15years,Pennsylvania, Chicago,Texas,California, these families cannot come home,they keep sending #2,3,10k to family members that is not up to what people spend here all round. Burial, weddings,health support they will not contribute but by December they will send 2,3,6k to families to celebrate. So my question is if what you are doing abroad is not working, come home. African culture is built on families. QED. We fight to survive but still stay with each other.

Dem no get money bro, even person wey dey here dey better.
Re: What Scares You The Most About Relocating Abroad? by Tunagee(m): 11:22am On Jan 03, 2023
Alpharey:
Yolobas will miss Owoda.. free money from Igbos, thereby might die of hunger since they can't hustle grin

Exactly. Awon omo Amoda Ogunlere!!!!Ebi go kill dem
Re: What Scares You The Most About Relocating Abroad? by Bossjakande: 3:15pm On Jan 03, 2023
ibkayee:

Well I’ve been told I speak fast
if i born in uk will the baby be a citizen. wen u reach 18years did govt give you house and car.?
Re: What Scares You The Most About Relocating Abroad? by ibkayee(f): 3:17pm On Jan 03, 2023
Bossjakande:
if i born in uk will the baby be a citizen. wen u reach 18years did govt give you house and car.?
Give me a house and car for what?
Re: What Scares You The Most About Relocating Abroad? by Bossjakande: 3:24pm On Jan 03, 2023
ibkayee:

Give me a house and car for what?
for age of been adult and mature. most white pple are no more staying wit thier parents or work yet dey got a car and house
Re: What Scares You The Most About Relocating Abroad? by ibkayee(f): 3:26pm On Jan 03, 2023
Bossjakande:
for age of been adult and mature. most white pple are no more staying wit thier parents or work yet dey got a car and house
The government only gives you accommodation if you’re on state benefits, I’ve never been on state benefits.

I bought my house and car myself
Re: What Scares You The Most About Relocating Abroad? by Bossjakande: 3:31pm On Jan 03, 2023
ibkayee:

The government only gives you accommodation if you’re on state benefits, I’ve never been on state benefits.

I bought my house and car myself
ok but u neva ansa if i born in uk
Re: What Scares You The Most About Relocating Abroad? by ibkayee(f): 3:36pm On Jan 03, 2023
Bossjakande:
ok but u neva ansa if i born in uk
I don’t know, I’ve never had to think about that since I’m a British citizen. Google it
Re: What Scares You The Most About Relocating Abroad? by lordally(m): 4:13pm On Jan 03, 2023
ArcFresky:

plat0

omo, I no fit explain..go experience am come baack.

My cousin is there...and has been there for some time now.. na why I dey ask
Re: What Scares You The Most About Relocating Abroad? by Passionate1(m): 4:35pm On Jan 03, 2023
U don't know a lifestyle or culture till u experience it. . .take d risk or lose d chance.
Re: What Scares You The Most About Relocating Abroad? by GloriousGbola: 5:47pm On Jan 03, 2023
ibkayee:

I don’t know, I’ve never had to think about that since I’m a British citizen. Google it

Weird flex but OK grin
Re: What Scares You The Most About Relocating Abroad? by ibkayee(f): 5:48pm On Jan 03, 2023
GloriousGbola:

Weird flex but OK grin
Lmaooo I see what you’re saying but it genuinely wasn’t intended that way grin
Re: What Scares You The Most About Relocating Abroad? by GloriousGbola: 5:51pm On Jan 03, 2023
ibkayee:

Lmaooo I see what you’re saying but it genuinely wasn’t intended that way grin

Pesin cannot playette hate again cheesy

Thanks to the fooking iron lady my junior bro missed out on UK citizenship by birth. Fecking tories angry

1 Like

Re: What Scares You The Most About Relocating Abroad? by ibkayee(f): 6:06pm On Jan 03, 2023
GloriousGbola:

Pesin cannot playette hate again cheesy

Thanks to the fooking iron lady my junior bro missed out on UK citizenship by birth. Fecking tories angry
Hahaha grin

Lmao tell your bro I said pele grin
Re: What Scares You The Most About Relocating Abroad? by ArcFresky(m): 6:32pm On Jan 03, 2023
lordally:

My cousin is there...and has been there for some time now.. na why I dey ask
Schooling?
Re: What Scares You The Most About Relocating Abroad? by lordally(m): 8:36am On Jan 04, 2023
ArcFresky:

Schooling?

No. He's married and lives there
Re: What Scares You The Most About Relocating Abroad? by ArcFresky(m): 9:32am On Jan 04, 2023
lordally:

No. He's married and lives there
That's different.
You can't go there, have restriction to 20hrs and think you will pay rent and pay school fees.

Only grace will help you.
Re: What Scares You The Most About Relocating Abroad? by Moye715: 4:42am On Jan 08, 2023
Eriokanmi:
This is one of the major challenges they face. I met a guy in Chicago in 2018. He moved in from Europe. Last year, his dad died, the man who spent his hard-earned money on his education, including his master's degree in Europe. He only cried his heart out but couldn't come home cos he had no papers yet. I advised him to return to Europe since he had their papers and work or he applied for work in USA and processed his papers from EU and emigrate legit. He didn't listen, till his US visa expired in hands. He had already completed his programme before he left for USA from Europe. He's been visiting USA from Europe as a student all along.

Even some can't afford to visit yearly, regardless of their status over there. Once they look at that money, they change their mind. They'd prefer sending that money instead meanwhile, money can't buy relationship and family. Seeing your parents and relations around you alone is more healing than any medication.

Here despite the economic situation, people would dash those in need here money freely , despite not earning so much but ask them in the Diaspora to do same, they could block your lines forever. I understand it's not that easy over there. I pray we get leadership right this year so our economy and country can fare better and people can come home and invest. I crave family so much. I can't afford to spend a quarter without seeing my lovely parents and siblings. I like being with people around me.
Over there , everyone is afraid of neighbours. Here you can barge into your neighbour's house and ask if they have chilled water inside their fridge or anything to munch, out of love. You can't do that over there. They'd call police at the slightest suspicion. You could be living with the neighbour next door for months and yet, you're not seeing each other and that's why people commit suicide more easily there. Nobody to share thoughts with and by the time they add one plus one, they've ended it before you know it.

For me, I like putting my money down for whatever I like without anyone coming to me and be asking me to pay for one gbese. If I want to build house, I build and move on, same if I want to buy car. Mortgage and stuffs aren't my style. I be African man, original.

Chai African Original! You're really in tune with your existence, infact you know yourself. May your days be long!

1 Like

Re: What Scares You The Most About Relocating Abroad? by pansophist(m): 6:28am On Jan 08, 2023
What scares me most moving elsewhere is starting all over. I'll rather visit, chill, and come back to my base. Over the past ten years, I've worked like a slave, that my only social life was jogging and reading.

After successful building a good social record, a thriving business, credit line, social network etc, I'll now dump all and go start a from scratch elsewhere. And maybe learn a new language. Nope, not doing that.

I'll keep watering this grass until it turned to a forest, instead of go start watering a new one elsewhere.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Scares You The Most About Relocating Abroad? by TheEnforcer: 8:05pm On Jan 08, 2023
AreaFada2:

Oga, this your generalisation nor be here. The 20 billion dollar annual remittance to 9ja goes into what? shocked shocked
I don't know of anybody in diaspora that didn't send at least £1,000 to friends and relatives in 9ja just this last December. I am talking of people I know o.

The duplex some 9ja based people built in 9ja and do big man with is less than money some diaspora people sent to assist friends and relatives over the past 10 to 15 years. I wrote on the matter in another thread some months ago. Yet the diaspora person may only have a bungalow in 9ja. This is actually an insult because many diaspora people make a great sacrifice to assist those at home.

The reason some people block those in 9ja is due the entitlement mentality of some of our people. Imagine a jobless relative or friend in 9ja asking for iPhone 13 when you yourself abroad are managing one Samsung or an older version of iPhone? Perhaps same relative or friend that couldn't run a business you helped them to set up.

People in diaspora can also fall on hard times. Job loss, increasing family size, more expenses as kids grow older, etc. So they may not be able to render help every time people ask for it. The attitude is often that if you help 10 times and refuse once, you have never helped. It is either his wicked wife or her husband has stopped them from helping their 9ja family, all his money now goes to his/her in-laws in 9ja, etc.

We all hear of the clichéd "stingy uncle in London/America". He has been abroad for 35 years. A common thread on Nairaland. But nobody cares about how the uncle or aunty has been going through life, without the moral support of people he/she grew up with. The same way life happens to many people in 9ja, so it does to many abroad too.

Mortgage might not be everybody's thing but all developed societies have used mortgage well. A time will come in 9ja, with our growing population when land use will be more regulated, land becomes very expensive and building regulations will be more rigorously enforced. You cannot just be doing foundation anyhow and anywhere anymore. The high cost of building will make mortgage inevitable. 9ja is not there yet.

As for diaspora fear, the real issues may turn out to be those you never envisaged. You can at least brace yourself for things you are already aware of.
Dont mind him.Is he blaming them for blocking those people?Some can not get without asking for money.Ex will ask,friends and acquaintances and there is that entitlement mentality that he has to give them. How is that the problem of those diasporans?I see he tried to paint naija as the Eldorado but to each his own
Re: What Scares You The Most About Relocating Abroad? by Dadaboy: 9:50pm On Jan 08, 2023
ibkayee:

My entire life. What is like white?
hey ! how are you doing ? do you mind if i send a message ? to ask some private questions as you have been here in UK for a long time.
Re: What Scares You The Most About Relocating Abroad? by ibkayee(f): 9:53pm On Jan 08, 2023
Dadaboy:

hey ! how are you doing ? do you mind if i send a message ? to ask some private questions as you have been here in UK for a long time.
Sure, send a message

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Liberia The Crystal Of West Africa. (pix) / Abdullahi Suleiman: Emir Of Keffi's Driver Returns Missing $800 In Saudi [photo] / Ibom Air Studies International Route Options With Ibom Air Bombardier CRJ900

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.