Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,286 members, 7,811,855 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:27 PM

What Degree Is Best For Me? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What Degree Is Best For Me? (834 Views)

Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer? / Help!!!. What Language Is Best For Developing A Payment App. / What's Programming Lauguage Do You Think Is Best To Start With (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Degree Is Best For Me? by Nobody: 9:42am On Dec 30, 2022
I am very passionate about coding, I mean I love coding so much whenever I do it is fun to me but right from the onset I have always wanted to be a Medical Doctor, I love seeing blood grin, I don't know if my intended path was influenced by my parents but all I know is I want to be in Medical School.

I have written UTME couple of times, my scores are not that bad to get in but one thing led to another, if not postutme sometimes just 0.4point cut me off, lolz funny enough a year will just go like that and I am not getting any younger. I have done any kinda menial jobs you can think of, I don suffer sef I need balance in my life at least. One of my goals is to leave our STUPID COUNTRY, if I wasn't in this country I believe I won't be where I am today.

So I am really confused the fact I love coding and currently learning JS even when I don't have PC, but I want to get a degree even if it isn't that relevant in tech but it is necessary I thought.

So I brought it here for more experienced folks here to advise me because I am about to take another UTME for Medicine, my question is should I go for Medicine or Computer Science and focus on Programming

Someone should please help out. Save my life. Don't want to make mistake I will regret.
Re: What Degree Is Best For Me? by fman(m): 10:04am On Dec 30, 2022
Follow your heart and passion
Re: What Degree Is Best For Me? by Nobody: 10:09am On Dec 30, 2022
fman:
Follow your heart and passion

Bros my heart wants Medicine but I'm more passionate about coding. I have younger ones looking up to me as a first child, the pressure at my end is becoming unbearable. I need balance sir. I need someone experienced to just tell me what to do and don't pamper me.
Re: What Degree Is Best For Me? by fman(m): 10:13am On Dec 30, 2022
tamunodxx:

Bros my heart wants Medicine but I'm more passionate about coding. I have younger ones looking up to me as a first child, the pressure at my end is becoming unbearable. I need balance sir. I need someone experienced to just tell me what to do and don't pamper me.
then go for medicine.
U can also learn programming as a medical student.
Re: What Degree Is Best For Me? by Nobody: 10:27am On Dec 30, 2022
fman:
then go for medicine.
U can also learn programming as a medical student.
I was also considering the time factor.
Thanks for your input bros
Re: What Degree Is Best For Me? by airsaylongcome: 11:10am On Dec 30, 2022
Why do you describe Nigeria as this "STUPID COUNTRY"?
Re: What Degree Is Best For Me? by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:17am On Dec 30, 2022
I think you should put in for computer science. If you are missing medicine cut off points by a few points then it should be a piece of cake to get into computer science. Medicine is still good just that before you see money in Nigeria you would need to become a consultant and you would be very old then. Probably in your 40s or 50s. It's also expensive leaving Nigeria as a doctor.
Re: What Degree Is Best For Me? by Nobody: 11:29am On Dec 30, 2022
airsaylongcome:
Why do you describe Nigeria as this "STUPID COUNTRY"?

The reason is simple, it has never brought anything good to me only pains and suffering. I hate our stupid country with PASSION bros
Re: What Degree Is Best For Me? by Nobody: 11:35am On Dec 30, 2022
tensazangetsu20:
I think you should put in for computer science. If you are missing medicine cut off points by a few points then it should be a piece of cake to get into computer science. Medicine is still good just that before you see money in Nigeria you would need to become a consultant and you would be very old then. Probably in your 40s or 50s. It's also expensive leaving Nigeria as a doctor.

Thanks sir, at least you understand me, I don't want to struggle any more and also don't make a mistake for putting in subjects that are for Medicine combination rather than computer science.
About the uni, Do you advise Nigeria Federal Universities? Cux that's where I can afford to study but I saw what those guys are going through in those schools while studying computer science na hell o, is that how useless Nigeria institutions are??
Re: What Degree Is Best For Me? by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:36am On Dec 30, 2022
tamunodxx:

Thanks sir, at least you understand me, I don't want to struggle any more and also don't make a mistake for putting in subjects that are for Medicine combination rather than computer science.
About the uni, Do you advise Nigeria Federal Universities? Cux that's where I can afford to study but I saw what those guys are going through in those schools while studying computer science na hell o, is that how useless Nigeria institutions are??
Federal universities are still okay especially institutions like unilag. The only issue is strike so a 5 year computer science course might end up being 6 or 7 years
Re: What Degree Is Best For Me? by Nobody: 11:39am On Dec 30, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Federal universities are still okay especially institutions like unilag. The only issue is strike so a 5 year computer science course might end up being 6 or 7 years
Na wa ooo what of UI distance learning or Open university sir??
I want to sharp sharp and finish school I heard life starts after school.
Re: What Degree Is Best For Me? by tensazangetsu20(m): 11:59am On Dec 30, 2022
tamunodxx:

Na wa ooo what of UI distance learning or Open university sir??
I want to sharp sharp and finish school I heard life starts after school.
Honestly best to go to unilag due to its proximity to yaba the silicon valley of Nigeria. Also there's the huge alumni network. A lot of unilag alumni are working at big tech firms like Microsoft and google so it won't be hard getting referrals. When even tech companies come to Nigeria for recruiting unilag is always amongst the first schools they go to.

1 Like

Re: What Degree Is Best For Me? by SavageBoy: 12:01pm On Dec 30, 2022
Leave medicine. You can still choose a health related course like pharmacy. If you've been so close to getting Medicine, then you should be able to meet up with the cut off mark for pharmacy.

Pharmacy is much more flexible than medicine. You're gonna have more time for coding as a pharmacy student than as a medical student. And it's even more lucrative than medicine.

If I were to turn back the hands of time, I wouldn't have waste my time applying for medicine. Though I'm currently a pharmacy student, I just wished I hadn't spent waste several years applying for medicine.

But you can still go ahead with Medicine, if you think that's the best for you.

1 Like

Re: What Degree Is Best For Me? by Nobody: 12:03pm On Dec 30, 2022
tensazangetsu20:

Honestly best to go to unilag due to its proximity to yaba the silicon valley of Nigeria. Also there's the huge alumni network. A lot of unilag alumni are working at big tech firms like Microsoft and google so it won't be hard getting referrals. When even tech companies come to Nigeria for recruiting unilag is always amongst the first schools they go to.
Really apt. I am still analyzing from everything that has been said here and any other replies to take decision. Thanks once more bros, you are a good individual.
Re: What Degree Is Best For Me? by Nobody: 12:11pm On Dec 30, 2022
SavageBoy:
Leave medicine. You can still choose a health related course like pharmacy. If you've been so close to getting Medicine, then you should be able to meet up with the cut off mark for pharmacy.

Pharmacy is much more flexible than medicine. You're gonna have more time for coding as a pharmacy student than as a medical student. And it's even more lucrative than medicine.

If I were to turn back the hands of time, I wouldn't have waste my time applying for medicine. Though I'm currently a pharmacy student, I just wished I hadn't spent waste several years applying for medicine.

You are awesome sir. I will take this advise to heart still analyzing though. I really appreciate you.
Re: What Degree Is Best For Me? by Nobody: 2:51pm On Dec 30, 2022
You wrote UTME couple of times and still you're thinking of choosing Medicine in your next UTME?

Do you want an UTME shirt as Christmas gift next year?

I see you want to be their loyal customer.

You have to understand that computer science in it self isn't all about programming...

The fact that even a ShoeShiner can learn coding today and be successful even without a degree should tell you a lot.

If u have the brains... You should go for Medicine.(Apart from money, it comes with higher respect than other courses... You can be a broke doctor and still be respected in society)

You can do medicine and still learn your coding... though it will be very stressful to combine both... But that's why I said you need big Brains.

If you want to gain admission faster, graduate quicker and carry on with your life... Then you should go for computer science... it's still a prestigious discipline... in most countries with sense at least.
Re: What Degree Is Best For Me? by Nobody: 2:59pm On Dec 30, 2022
GREATIGBOMAN:
You wrote UTME couple of times and still you're thinking of choosing Medicine in your next UTME?

Do you want an UTME shirt as Christmas gift next year?

I see you want to be their loyal customer.

So what is your advise bros?
Re: What Degree Is Best For Me? by Nobody: 3:00pm On Dec 30, 2022
tamunodxx:

So what is your advise bros?

Check up
Re: What Degree Is Best For Me? by qtguru(m): 3:04pm On Dec 30, 2022
GREATIGBOMAN:

Check up

Our algo contribution angry you gave your word.
Re: What Degree Is Best For Me? by Nobody: 3:05pm On Dec 30, 2022
GREATIGBOMAN:

Check up
Yep thanks bros a whole lot to put into consideration now.
Re: What Degree Is Best For Me? by Nobody: 3:07pm On Dec 30, 2022
qtguru:

Bros you never say anything o
Re: What Degree Is Best For Me? by qtguru(m): 3:08pm On Dec 30, 2022
tamunodxx:
I am very passionate about coding, I mean I love coding so much whenever I do it is fun to me but right from the onset I have always wanted to be a Medical Doctor, I love seeing blood grin, I don't know if my intended path was influenced by my parents but all I know is I want to be in Medical School.

I have written UTME couple of times, my scores are not that bad to get in but one thing led to another, if not postutme sometimes just 0.4point cut me off, lolz funny enough a year will just go like that and I am not getting any younger. I have done any kinda menial jobs you can think of, I don suffer sef I need balance in my life at least. One of my goals is to leave our STUPID COUNTRY, if I wasn't in this country I believe I won't be where I am today.

So I am really confused the fact I love coding and currently learning JS even when I don't have PC, but I want to get a degree even if it isn't that relevant in tech but it is necessary I thought.

So I brought it here for more experienced folks here to advise me because I am about to take another UTME for Medicine, my question is should I go for Medicine or Computer Science and focus on Programming

Someone should please help out. Save my life. Don't want to make mistake I will regret.

Both degrees are lucrative. But is Medicine your calling, because Medicine requires dedication and focus. Ask @DrLevi he's both of what you intend to be, he will in the best position to advice for degree.

1 Like

Re: What Degree Is Best For Me? by Nobody: 3:21pm On Dec 30, 2022
qtguru:

Both degrees are lucrative. But is Medicine your calling, because Medicine requires dedication and focus. Ask @DrLevi he's both of what you intend to be, he will in the best position to advice for degree.

Yea Medicine is my calling cuz I have dropped out of an institution because everything was annoying, I didn't even paid attention to lectures. I have been given admission to study many courses but I declined them because my spirit didn't align. And it is not because of money I want to study medicine my uncle is a Doc. I look at his life I seriously don't see anything worth stressing oneself for, he always complains but I think it is my calling.

Although it is my calling, I am getting older and need to make a living, retire my parents and take care of my younger ones, that is just my goal now. I am just feeling Medicine will take me much time considering x factor.
Re: What Degree Is Best For Me? by Nobody: 3:22pm On Dec 30, 2022
qtguru:

I didn't know my word meant anything to u.
Re: What Degree Is Best For Me? by qtguru(m): 3:27pm On Dec 30, 2022
GREATIGBOMAN:

I didn't know my word meant anything to u.

I didn't peg you for someone not to keep to his promise, and I believe you will keep to it. As much you have an infamy reputation, your contribution will drive a bit of attention to the thread.
Re: What Degree Is Best For Me? by Nobody: 3:32pm On Dec 30, 2022
qtguru:

I didn't peg you for someone not to keep to his promise, and I believe you will keep to it. As much you have an infamy reputation, your contribution will drive a bit of attention to the thread.
sad
Re: What Degree Is Best For Me? by LittleBigDick(m): 3:41pm On Dec 30, 2022
Do biomedical engineering and learn AI + tech stuffs like genome editing, stem cell research, DNA editing etc.
Re: What Degree Is Best For Me? by Nobody: 3:47pm On Dec 30, 2022
LittleBigDick:
Do biomedical engineering and learn AI + tech stuffs like genome editing, stem cell research, DNA editing etc.
Thanks bros.
Do you know schools that offer biomedical engineering? How many years? I heard they are not valued in Nigeria.
Re: What Degree Is Best For Me? by airsaylongcome: 4:23pm On Dec 30, 2022
tamunodxx:

Yea Medicine is my calling cuz I have dropped out of an institution because everything was annoying I didn't even paid attention to lectures. I have been given admission to study many courses but I declined them because my spirit didn't align. And it is not because of money I want to study medicine my uncle is a Doc. I look at his life I seriously don't see anything worth stressing oneself for, he always complains but I think it is my calling.

Although it is my calling, I am getting older and need to make a living, retire my parents and take care of my younger ones, that is just my goal now. I am just feeling Medicine will take me much time considering x factor.

To be honest, this right here is your problem. There are very many ways to skin a cat. But being lazy or non-chalant isn't one of them. You think Computing is easy? You will be shocked at how difficult somethings in Computing can get. I had (still have) a very good head for computing. But there's a course in CS called DBMS. And I hated it. PASSIONATELY. Hated database normalization, hated BCNF with special passion. I hated Human-Computer Interaction. But I had to muscle through all of that nonsense to get a degree. I dropped out of Uni in my final year and after two years went back to another Uni to start from year 1. Not like my previous grades were not transferable, but the Uni I got admission into had no provision to transfer students from other universities at the time. (They do now many years after). But I went through all of that very unpleasant experience to get a degree. Today, what I do in IT was never taught in school. But the stuff I had learned in school made it easier for me to understand the materials needed for my current profession. You have to get a thick skin and get past all the discomfort. In the jungle, the strong stand and rumble, the weak fold and crumble. And right now, you come across as weak.

Let me put it in perspective for you, I finished secondary school two days before my 17th birthday. My lowest grade was C5 in Geography and Chemistry. Made 5 A3 (as we called them then) including English, Mathematics and Further Mathematics. I eventually got a university degree 4 days before my 30th birthday. And I even had a carry-over in Software Engineering in my final semester. So I don't know what challenge you think you are facing that I haven't faced. All in this same so-called "STUPID COUNTRY" according to you. I was in class with people 10 years my junior. Some of my TAs in university were my age mates. Some classmates sef called me "Mr Airsaylongcom". Today all of that is history. Put your head down and decide on a lane and follow it to the end

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Degree Is Best For Me? by Nobody: 4:42pm On Dec 30, 2022
tamunodxx:

Yea Medicine is my calling cuz I have dropped out of an institution because everything was annoying, I didn't even paid attention to lectures. I have been given admission to study many courses but I declined them because my spirit didn't align. And it is not because of money I want to study medicine my uncle is a Doc. I look at his life I seriously don't see anything worth stressing oneself for, he always complains but I think it is my calling.

I don't quite believe you as close as a 0.4 different from the cutoff mark. I say this because those who can devote themselves to studying as much as needed for medicine typically don't drop out for the sole reason that "everything was annoying", "didn't pay attention to lectures"

Still, I feel you'll be over distracted with "I am getting older and need to make a living, retire my parents and take care of my younger ones" to do medicine. You would probably end up mixing it up with hustle and although not impossible, can be a recipe for disaster.
Its best you pick computer science, that way the hustle and the course are related. You're done in 4 years. You'll also have 4 years experience as a developer upon graduation. If the universe is kind, a good paying job right in school and almost never regret what could have been with medicine

1 Like

Re: What Degree Is Best For Me? by LittleBigDick(m): 5:37pm On Dec 30, 2022
tamunodxx:

Thanks bros.
Do you know schools that offer biomedical engineering? How many years? I heard they are not valued in Nigeria.

Make a research on schools that offer biomedical engineering and find out

Biomedical engineers can work anywhere health related

The only problem is that it's not yet accredited on some schools
Re: What Degree Is Best For Me? by Newusername(m): 5:47pm On Dec 30, 2022
airsaylongcome:

To be honest, this right here is your problem. There are very many ways to skin a cat. But being lazy or non-chalant isn't one of them. You think Computing is easy? You will be shocked at how difficult somethings in Computing can get. I had (still have) a very good head for computing. But there's a course in CS called DBMS. And I hated it. PASSIONATELY. Hated database normalization, hated BCNF with special passion. I hated Human-Computer Interaction. But I had to muscle through all of that nonsense to get a degree. I dropped out of Uni in my final year and after two years went back to another Uni to start from year 1. Not like my previous grades were not transferable, but the Uni I got admission into had no provision to transfer students from other universities at the time. (They do now many years after). But I went through all of that very unpleasant experience to get a degree. Today, what I do in IT was never taught in school. But the stuff I had learned in school made it easier for me to understand the materials needed for my current profession. You have to get a thick skin and get past all the discomfort. In the jungle, the strong stand and rumble, the weak fold and crumble. And right now, you come across as weak.

Let me put it in perspective for you, I finished secondary school two days before my 17th birthday. My lowest grade was C5 in Geography and Chemistry. Made 5 A3 (as we called them then) including English, Mathematics and Further Mathematics. I eventually got a university degree 4 days before my 30th birthday. And I even had a carry-over in Software Engineering in my final semester. So I don't know what challenge you think you are facing that I haven't faced. All in this same so-called "STUPID COUNTRY" according to you. I was in class with people 10 years my junior. Some of my TAs in university were my age mates. Some classmates sef called me "Mr Airsaylongcom". Today all of that is history. Put your head down and decide on a lane and follow it to the end

All in all ''Don't give up in what you want to do''. You dey ginger me today.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Put It Across To Me Now / Got Questions About Programming? Ask It Here / File Attachements Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.