Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,725 members, 7,827,636 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:36 PM

What Degree Is Best For Me? - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What Degree Is Best For Me? (875 Views)

Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer? / Help!!!. What Language Is Best For Developing A Payment App. / What's Programming Lauguage Do You Think Is Best To Start With (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Degree Is Best For Me? by Nobody: 9:44pm On Dec 30, 2022
airsaylongcome:

To be honest, this right here is your problem. There are very many ways to skin a cat. But being lazy or non-chalant isn't one of them. You think Computing is easy? You will be shocked at how difficult somethings in Computing can get. I had (still have) a very good head for computing. But there's a course in CS called DBMS. And I hated it. PASSIONATELY. Hated database normalization, hated BCNF with special passion. I hated Human-Computer Interaction. But I had to muscle through all of that nonsense to get a degree. I dropped out of Uni in my final year and after two years went back to another Uni to start from year 1. Not like my previous grades were not transferable, but the Uni I got admission into had no provision to transfer students from other universities at the time. (They do now many years after). But I went through all of that very unpleasant experience to get a degree. Today, what I do in IT was never taught in school. But the stuff I had learned in school made it easier for me to understand the materials needed for my current profession. You have to get a thick skin and get past all the discomfort. In the jungle, the strong stand and rumble, the weak fold and crumble. And right now, you come across as weak.

Let me put it in perspective for you, I finished secondary school two days before my 17th birthday. My lowest grade was C5 in Geography and Chemistry. Made 5 A3 (as we called them then) including English, Mathematics and Further Mathematics. I eventually got a university degree 4 days before my 30th birthday. And I even had a carry-over in Software Engineering in my final semester. So I don't know what challenge you think you are facing that I haven't faced. All in this same so-called "STUPID COUNTRY" according to you. I was in class with people 10 years my junior. Some of my TAs in university were my age mates. Some classmates sef called me "Mr Airsaylongcom". Today all of that is history. Put your head down and decide on a lane and follow it to the end

I thank you sir for taking out your time to write out all these. You are a wonderful person! I have learnt a lot from what you said above. Thanks so much again.
Re: What Degree Is Best For Me? by Nobody: 9:48pm On Dec 30, 2022
DrLevi:

I don't quite believe you as close as a 0.4 different from the cutoff mark. I say this because those who can devote themselves to studying as much as needed for medicine typically don't drop out for the sole reason that "everything was annoying", "didn't pay attention to lectures"

Still, I feel you'll be over distracted with "I am getting older and need to make a living, retire my parents and take care of my younger ones" to do medicine. You would probably end up mixing it up with hustle and although not impossible, can be a recipe for disaster.
Its best you pick computer science, that way the hustle and the course are related. You're done in 4 years. You'll also have 4 years experience as a developer upon graduation. If the universe is kind, a good paying job right in school and almost never regret what could have been with medicine

Thanks sir for your input. I will make a decision to study Medicine or Computer science. For the cut off mark stuff I didn't say it to prove myself to anyone sha only I know the pain it cost me to loose an admission because of 0.4points. I know I'm not the first to have experienced this so I'm good.
Re: What Degree Is Best For Me? by Nobody: 10:25pm On Dec 30, 2022
tamunodxx:

Thanks sir for your input. I will make a decision to study Medicine or Computer science. For the cut off mark stuff I didn't say it to prove myself to anyone sha only I know the pain it cost me to loose an admission because of 0.4points. I know I'm not the first to have experienced this so I'm good.
Of course I could be wrong, just making an observation

I hope you make the right choice. I don't even thing there's one(a right choice). Just do what makes you happy at the end
Re: What Degree Is Best For Me? by Nobody: 10:30pm On Dec 30, 2022
DrLevi:

Of course I could be wrong, just making an observation

I hope you make the right choice. I don't even thing there's one(a right choice). Just do what makes you happy at the end
Alright thanks sir. I will take your advise to heart.
Re: What Degree Is Best For Me? by Airell: 7:22pm On Jan 01, 2023
tamunodxx:

Bros my heart wants Medicine but I'm more passionate about coding. I have younger ones looking up to me as a first child, the pressure at my end is becoming unbearable. I need balance sir. I need someone experienced to just tell me what to do and don't pamper me.

Medicine is very stressful in school and after school especially if you want to become a consultant and also time consuming. The residency training is hell with what I have witnessed. You have to further your career before you can start earning well in medicine, that is after many years. Even Japa is not easy.

Tech on the other is not also easy but you will quickly start earning well compared to medicine within same time frame.

Just like you, my heart wants medicine but I have strong passion for tech, I eventually put in for medicine. I am in my final year and I will become a doctor in few months.

During my medical journey, I realised I don't actually like medicine but just the thought of becoming a doctor. It seems to me like I am wasting my time so I started learning programming and other tech related stuffs.

You can enroll for medicine and learn tech by the side just like me. But if you ask me what I would have done if I should start all over, I will rather go for tech without considering medicine.
Re: What Degree Is Best For Me? by Nobody: 7:30pm On Jan 01, 2023
Airell:

Medicine is very stressful in school and after school especially if you want to become a consultant and also time consuming. The residency training is hell with what I have witnessed. You have to further your career before you can start earning well in medicine, that is after many years. Even Japa is not easy.

Tech on the other is not also easy but you will quickly start earning well compared to medicine within same time frame.

Just like you, my heart wants medicine but I have strong passion for tech, I eventually put in for medicine. I am in my final year and I will become a doctor in few months.

During my medical journey, I realised I don't actually like medicine but just the thought of becoming a doctor. It seems to me like I am wasting my time so I started learning programming and other tech related stuffs.

You can enroll for medicine and learn tech by the side just like me. But if you ask me what I would have done if I should start all over, I will rather go for tech without considering medicine.

Thanks so much sir and congratulations ahead Doc.
It seems I will do what you did.
But I am sure if you were to start all over you would still pick Medicine knowing fully well you enjoy coding the best, I don't know why but I believe so. My dad will be telling me I will end up becoming a computer operator at the CAFE if I study computer science, I have tried explaining things to him but mehnn him nor won hear oo but I just seek God's direction sha.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Latest Site Commentary On Webmasters Of Africa / Vbasic Question On Counting Words In Ms Word And Searching For Text / Re:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.