Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,151 members, 7,811,293 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:33 AM

6 Steps Before Dropping Your Resignation - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 6 Steps Before Dropping Your Resignation (18642 Views)

CEO Who Fired 900 Staff On Brutal Zoom Call Faces Mass Resignation Of Exec's / A Company Didn't Accept My Resignation / N-power Devices: Reach Out To Umar Farouq By Dropping Your Signatures In Protest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Steps Before Dropping Your Resignation by Rubyjade: 5:07am On Dec 31, 2022
Ready To Quit your Job? By Rita Babalola

6 Steps to Consider Before Dropping that Resignation Letter.

Quitting is a huge decision. It's also something all of us have considered at least once before.

By mid-January, most companies would be reaching out to us to help fill up vacant roles. However, don’t just join the bandwagon without considering some of these:

1). Have I explored every option with my employer?

Some of what you want from a new job, might be easily secured in your existing job. What can you trade off with your employer?
��Flexible working time,
��New responsibilities,
��Different reporting line,
��Reduced hours or higher pay.

2). How did I get here?
Before quitting, it can be helpful to know how you got here in the first place?

��Why did you take up the offer?
��What has been your career path so far?
��Is there a change in your career goal?

Reflecting on the past puts better clarity to your present and gives new direction for your future so you can design a new career path.

By reflecting and knowing you had done this before can make deciding less challenging for you.

3). Are you Burnt out?

Is this a case of being stretched too thin and overworked or a case of not managing work process effectively?

Would efficient tools and resources do the trick to “reclaim” your job or sanity? If no, then that means this is a culture that you need to escape from especially if you have tried all other ways to make it less stressful and is still affecting your zeal to life.

4). Have you challenged yourself?

If you have built core competencies in your primary job areas, why don’t you ask for more responsibilities? So, why not ask for that functions that others find intimidating and include on your plate. This is a way of selling yourself to management and getting the opportunity for more pay.

5). Do you have other things bothering you?

What is affecting your state of mind now and not giving you peace but it is not directly connected to work? Life goals, marriage, relationship, health, medical and financial issues or habits?

If these are not sorted out, you will still carry these over to your new job.

6). Should I quit over a toxic boss or work environment.

If you work for bigger organizations, you can meet with your HRM to request for a change in your reporting line.

However, for smaller organisations,
this may be difficult to do and if you weigh the options and it doesn’t look appealing to your mental health, then do the needful.

Sometimes you don’t understand the full impact of a toxic workplace until you start at a new one. “People put up with so much for the sake of a salary.”

36 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 6 Steps Before Dropping Your Resignation by OGIBRA(m): 5:18am On Dec 31, 2022
ON POINT!!!
Re: 6 Steps Before Dropping Your Resignation by GogetterMD(m): 5:32am On Dec 31, 2022
Point number 6, toxic bosses and workplace, really takes its toll on your mental health

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 Steps Before Dropping Your Resignation by IyaTola: 5:52am On Dec 31, 2022
GogetterMD:
Point number 6, toxic bosses and workplace, really takes its toll on your mental health
true

1 Like

Re: 6 Steps Before Dropping Your Resignation by Cholls(m): 10:47am On Dec 31, 2022
My brother resign if that Boss and is brother are psychos who drags shirts with every worker

7 Likes

Re: 6 Steps Before Dropping Your Resignation by Subzeroad: 10:48am On Dec 31, 2022
I have just resigned for the 6th reason …life is too precious to work your ass day and night.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Steps Before Dropping Your Resignation by Wrakeim: 10:48am On Dec 31, 2022
[]

merry Xmas to all my fans
[]
Re: 6 Steps Before Dropping Your Resignation by luvlyoracle(m): 10:48am On Dec 31, 2022
Re: 6 Steps Before Dropping Your Resignation by reverendfather: 10:49am On Dec 31, 2022
I was on the verge of quitting my main job and face my side hustle which was paying me 10x my salaray, However my side hustle(freelancing) showed me shege this past one month, I got banned and I almost ran mad. My main job kept me grounded and kept me sane. I think i finally understand when great people tell you to have multiple source of income. He get why o.

Do not quit cos of petty reasons that can be resolved, go into dialogue with your boss, as long as you're giving them value you've got the upper hand.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Steps Before Dropping Your Resignation by DenreleDave(m): 10:49am On Dec 31, 2022
I also stopped working this December because of the following;

I don't see myself growing there.. Even if i spend 5 years there, I can't grow...

Toxic, my boss insults and degrade staffs anyhow as if they are not human.. Though he is nice sumtyms but the way he treats staff is sumtyms appalling..

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 Steps Before Dropping Your Resignation by westlius(m): 10:49am On Dec 31, 2022
GogetterMD:
Very tru
Mostly with insults
Re: 6 Steps Before Dropping Your Resignation by chichriso: 10:49am On Dec 31, 2022
Nice writeup

This video of Wike tackling Atiku and Tinubu deals is something else

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhWUVGo7NDc
Re: 6 Steps Before Dropping Your Resignation by Nobody: 10:49am On Dec 31, 2022
Steps? Just fuccking drop the letter... angry

3 Likes

Re: 6 Steps Before Dropping Your Resignation by iHart(m): 10:50am On Dec 31, 2022
Dropping resignation letter is not about looking for the next job. What if you want to start your own business or give your side business a full attention? In that case, all these points above will not hold.

9 Likes

Re: 6 Steps Before Dropping Your Resignation by Nobody: 10:50am On Dec 31, 2022
In Nigeria it's free for all.
Once a job isn't paying you well or it's about to end your life, you quit. In fact, your boss fit get 1 minute notice cos they the employer too no send you. They can fire you anyhow. This is how employees do too. They can leave at any time.
Only few companies follow normal labour law or protocol same as employees too.
Here's it's a jungle lugbungbu where anything can happen.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Steps Before Dropping Your Resignation by ghiloman28(m): 10:51am On Dec 31, 2022
B
Re: 6 Steps Before Dropping Your Resignation by Doyou2019: 10:52am On Dec 31, 2022
Miracood2:
Steps? Just fuccking drop the letter... angry

Just like that
And then what?
Re: 6 Steps Before Dropping Your Resignation by marvellous2222: 10:53am On Dec 31, 2022
Rubyjade:
Ready To Quit your Job? By Rita Babalola

6 Steps to Consider Before Dropping that Resignation Letter.

Quitting is a huge decision. It's also something all of us have considered at least once before.

By mid-January, most companies would be reaching out to us to help fill up vacant roles. However, don’t just join the bandwagon without considering some of these:

1). Have I explored every option with my employer?

Some of what you want from a new job, might be easily secured in your existing job. What can you trade off with your employer?
��Flexible working time,
��New responsibilities,
��Different reporting line,
��Reduced hours or higher pay.

2). How did I get here?
Before quitting, it can be helpful to know how you got here in the first place?

��Why did you take up the offer?
��What has been your career path so far?
��Is there a change in your career goal?

Reflecting on the past puts better clarity to your present and gives new direction for your future so you can design a new career path.

By reflecting and knowing you had done this before can make deciding less challenging for you.

3). Are you Burnt out?

Is this a case of being stretched too thin and overworked or a case of not managing work process effectively?

Would efficient tools and resources do the trick to “reclaim” your job or sanity? If no, then that means this is a culture that you need to escape from especially if you have tried all other ways to make it less stressful and is still affecting your zeal to life.

4). Have you challenged yourself?

If you have built core competencies in your primary job areas, why don’t you ask for more responsibilities? So, why not ask for that functions that others find intimidating and include on your plate. This is a way of selling yourself to management and getting the opportunity for more pay.

5). Do you have other things bothering you?

What is affecting your state of mind now and not giving you peace but it is not directly connected to work? Life goals, marriage, relationship, health, medical and financial issues or habits?

If these are not sorted out, you will still carry these over to your new job.

6). Should I quit over a toxic boss or work environment.

If you work for bigger organizations, you can meet with your HRM to request for a change in your reporting line.

However, for smaller organisations,
this may be difficult to do and if you weigh the options and it doesn’t look appealing to your mental health, then do the needful.

Sometimes you don’t understand the full impact of a toxic workplace until you start at a new one. “People put up with so much for the sake of a salary.”
project topic...

1 Like

Re: 6 Steps Before Dropping Your Resignation by bigdammyj: 10:54am On Dec 31, 2022
Reading...

2 Likes

Re: 6 Steps Before Dropping Your Resignation by money121(m): 10:56am On Dec 31, 2022
Ok
Re: 6 Steps Before Dropping Your Resignation by MacDani(m): 10:56am On Dec 31, 2022
... See more
Re: 6 Steps Before Dropping Your Resignation by Doyou2019: 10:56am On Dec 31, 2022
DenreleDave:
I also stopped working this December because of the following;

I don't see myself growing there.. Even if i spend 5 years there, I can't grow...

Toxic, my boss insults and degrade staffs anyhow as if they are not human.. Though he is nice sumtyms but the way he treats staff is sumtyms appalling..
Ehya, No wonder you come on here to project that toxicity on others in the name of campaigning for Tinubu.
You go dey alright sha.

1 Like

Re: 6 Steps Before Dropping Your Resignation by hopimaso: 10:58am On Dec 31, 2022
Please vote for PETER OBI

5 Likes

Re: 6 Steps Before Dropping Your Resignation by Gandah(m): 10:59am On Dec 31, 2022
Last step: Don't
Re: 6 Steps Before Dropping Your Resignation by ecolime(m): 11:01am On Dec 31, 2022
GogetterMD:
Spot on
Re: 6 Steps Before Dropping Your Resignation by Femich18(m): 11:03am On Dec 31, 2022
Ok. Toxic workplace is totally out of it. You will be going to work and be thinking of what gonna happen and not that the pay is even encouraging to compensate you.
Abeg if you workplace is toxic please japa

2 Likes

Re: 6 Steps Before Dropping Your Resignation by Ibechris2: 11:07am On Dec 31, 2022
Work and get a capital and start a business that would help ur life.

Everyone mustn't be in the business world but there are some organisations that would render u useless and incapacitated financially and emotionally.

Don't settle for less.
Re: 6 Steps Before Dropping Your Resignation by Bobbiee: 11:22am On Dec 31, 2022
I left because I needed to change careers drastically.

3 Likes

Re: 6 Steps Before Dropping Your Resignation by DONFRANSKID(m): 11:22am On Dec 31, 2022
Some company if you want to resign, you become their enemy.

4 Likes

Re: 6 Steps Before Dropping Your Resignation by DenreleDave(m): 11:22am On Dec 31, 2022
Doyou2019:

Ehya, No wonder you come on here to project that toxicity on others in the name of campaigning for Tinubu.
You go dey alright sha.

Ipob terrorist don talk

(1) (2) (Reply)

I got two Job Offers, which should I choose? I'm Confused..... Advice Please!!!! / How To Write The Perfect CV For Someone With No Work Experience (Part 2) / Vacancies For Commercial Graduates @ GSK Pharmaceuticals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.