Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,709 members, 7,837,604 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 08:06 AM

Announcing: Nigeria Websites Awards - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Announcing: Nigeria Websites Awards (2340 Views)

Poll: Should We Honour Nigerian Web Designers?

Yes: 100% (1 vote)
No: 0% (0 votes)
Maybe: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

Announcing Our New Website Www.amdohub.com / Nigeria Websites Award (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Announcing: Nigeria Websites Awards by tundexman(m): 11:30am On Aug 27, 2007
[b]In an effort to spark enthusiasm for web development and recognize those who have put hundreds of hours into the pioneer work of digitizing and publishing Nigeria information on the World Wide Web (Internet). We bring to you The Nigeria Websites Awards which is coming soon.

The Nigeria Websites Awards is created to supply formal recognition and acknowledge the hardwork and dedication that Nigeria web designers has put into constructing their websites using their own brand of style, creativity, and content.

The Nigeria Websites Awards was also created for those Webmasters and Designers who obviously spend a lot of time building and creating their sites, not just to benefit themselves, but to also make a positive contribution to the World Wide Web Community by "Bringing The World Closer To Us.

The Categories for the Nigeria Websites Awards are :

Actor/Actoress
Airline
Arts/Culture
Artiste
Auction
Autos
Bank
Blog
Career/Jobs
Celebrity
Dating
e-Commerce
Education
Forum
Government Agency
ISP
Newspaper
News Site
Online Community
Oil/Gas
Radio
Search Engine/Directory
Shopping Site
Social Networking
Sports Site
State Government
Telecommunications
Television
Tourism/Travel
Web Development/Web Hosting
University
Best Webhosting Company of the Year

Nominate your favourite website(s) for the above categories. Post your nominations on this thread."[/b]

For more information, questions, enquiries, comments, suggestions, contributions, opinion, and sponsorship, please send a mail to nigerianwebawards@gmail.com
Re: Announcing: Nigeria Websites Awards by tundewoods(m): 10:29am On Aug 28, 2007

I believe the idea or initiative to organize a web awards is not a bad one however i must quickly point out that the motive behind it may be the issue and secondly what are your parameters at arriving at awards that are judged.

I certainly know that the jury for the awards may attach alot of sentiments to it in the sence that it may be just some business / corporate promotion stunt you guys may be doing just like the popular web jurist awards that keeps on awarding either Zenith or Access bank as the best banks. After all the settlement. I guess you know what i mean.

Lastly i must find your third paragraph kind of wierd and leaves me curious about your backgroud in web development.
According to you.

tundexman:

The Nigeria Websites Awards was also created for those Webmasters and Designers who obviously spend a lot of time building and creating their sites, not just to benefit themselves, but to also make a positive contribution to the World Wide Web Community by "Bringing The World Closer To Us."

If i may ask what precisely do you mean by "Obviously spend a lot of time building and creating their sites" My dear brother spending a lot of time on a website does not necessarily mean the website will be fantastic or effiecient.

The important factor you guys should be considering is functionality and effectiveness in terms of the goals achieved by the web.

Finally i think you guys should have a dedicated website to your aclaimed web awards. A single web page on a blog or a site does not give enough credibility if you ask me.
Re: Announcing: Nigeria Websites Awards by Afam(m): 12:07pm On Aug 28, 2007
Excellent reply.
Re: Announcing: Nigeria Websites Awards by tundexman(m): 11:19am On Aug 29, 2007
In each category; there are two (2) awards to win. The title "Best Website of the Year" is awarded to the website with the highest average score after evaluation by the Judges. The title "Most Popular Website" is awarded to the Website with the highest number of votes.

Each websites will be judged on the following criteria.
1 - Functionality

Accessibility
Speed & Bandwidth Sensitivity
HTML Quality
Navigation & Links
Legality

2 - Design

Graphic Design
User Friendliness
Aesthetics & Beauty
Alignment & Layout
Integration

3 - Content

Purpose
Human Interactivity
Information Process
Verbal Expression

4 - Originality

Innovation & Lateral Thinking
Creativity
Technology
Distinctiveness
Vision

5 - Professionalism & Effectiveness

Customer Service & Client Respect
Values
Focus
Advanced Components
Overall Site Effectiveness

Judging Criteria - Level 2 -

Significance of websites role & function, site linkages, prominence in Internet community.

Exemplary Innovation - lateral solutions, paradigm busting innovations, leading edge contributions, industry leadership.

Site Performance Analysis - traffic patterns through the site, scan flow analysis, data analysis systems, effective use of autoresponders (if appropriate).

Search Engine Visibility - effective use of titles, meta tags, & page content, keyword relevancy, accuracy of summary descriptions, clarity of purpose.

Search Engine Rankings - top positions on principle keywords & phrases, page rankings, adherence to search engine protocol, effectiveness of tag coding.

URL clarity - domain distinctiveness, memorability, competitive positioning, address permanence.

Differentiation & Branding Strategy - strength of logo, label & other psychological, perceptual & emotional "anchors" of brand, marketing strategy, viral marketing, ethical utilization of email, chat & community forums.

Business Analysis (where applicable) - customer data collected, Email lists & Newsletters available, clarity of business process & efficiencies, E Commerce facilities, SSL, price lists, shopping carts, invoices, accuracy of billing, timeliness, order fulfillment, back end database integration, customer relations, marketing & advertising effectiveness.

Server Security Checks (written authorizations required) advanced security analysis - port scans, trojan sweeps, vulnerability profiles, firewall setups, network sniffers, software & application faults, e-mail vulnerabilities, database & human interface weaknesses.

Hosting Efficiency - bandwidth type & availability, uptime, internal network, ISP, global mirrors, cluster servers?

Surfer Votes & Customer Endorsements - site popularity & active consumer support.

There will be no sentiments neither is it for business/organisation promotion. And also, the website is just a temporary website just to create awareness about the awards program.
Re: Announcing: Nigeria Websites Awards by tundewoods(m): 11:03pm On Aug 29, 2007
Hmm ! Easier said than done, I will just sit and watch you folks and pray that you keep to all your talk talk .
Re: Announcing: Nigeria Websites Awards by Cactus(m): 1:28am On Aug 30, 2007
hm look at your website, look at the design and presentation for the website awards page, look at the text, look at the graphic(s), look at the color. is that visually appealing to you?

and you want to give out awards.

Imagine. clean your house first before helping others clean theirs.
Re: Announcing: Nigeria Websites Awards by tundewoods(m): 7:56am On Aug 30, 2007
Well said , Cactus!! grin
Re: Announcing: Nigeria Websites Awards by xanadu: 9:37am On Aug 30, 2007
Interesting. As part of your criteria you say:

Server Security Checks (written authorizations required) advanced security analysis - port scans, trojan sweeps, vulnerability profiles, firewall setups, network sniffers, software & application faults, e-mail vulnerabilities, database & human interface weaknesses.

Really??
Re: Announcing: Nigeria Websites Awards by rufaai(m): 11:26am On Aug 30, 2007
? No Comments ?

Just reading through,
Re: Announcing: Nigeria Websites Awards by tundexman(m): 10:16am On Aug 31, 2007
Thanks everybody for your comment. I have been away for some time thats why I have not been able to reply to your comment.
Cactus:

hm  look at your website, look at the design and presentation for the website awards page, look at the text, look at the graphic(s), look at the color. is that visually appealing to you?

and you want to give out awards.

Imagine. clean your house first before helping others clean theirs.

The website is just a temporary website, we just want to use it to create awareness about the awards. The real website will be announce soon.

xanadu:

Interesting.  As part of your criteria you say: Server Security Checks (written authorizations required) advanced security analysis - port scans, trojan sweeps, vulnerability profiles, firewall setups, network sniffers, software & application faults, e-mail vulnerabilities, database & human interface weaknesses.

Really??

Yes. We are going to do server security checks.

You guys, lets join hands and make this awards a reality. I know that there are good web designers in Nigeria and most of them are on Nairaland, so I think it will be good if we can honour them. You guys should nominate websites for the following categories:

Actor/Actoress
Airline
Arts/Culture
Artiste
Auction
Autos
Bank
Blog
Career/Jobs
Celebrity
Dating
e-Commerce
Education
Forum
Government Agency
ISP
Newspaper
News Site
Online Community
Oil/Gas
Radio
Search Engine/Directory
Shopping Site
Social Networking
Sports Site
State Government
Telecommunications
Television
Tourism/Travel
Web Development/Web Hosting
University
Best Webhosting Company of the Year .

THANKS
Re: Announcing: Nigeria Websites Awards by Cactus(m): 4:27pm On Aug 31, 2007
oh yea you just want to create awareness well you could have done better. or you can wait until your full site is ready then you go boom all out. you dont want something that will give a first bad impression

Get the job done right get the job done well, before making any noise. My impression and expectation from you is not good basically flat. It is great to ask for people's input and opinion but at this moment, I don't think you are going to do a good job. If i am really interested in this, I can chunk out an application for this that will be cool.

(1) (Reply)

I'm cool with eberedigital now / Syskay Domain Purchase Complaint / How To Pay For Hostgator Web Hosting And Get Verified

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.