Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,186 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:30 AM

Confused Between Node Js And PHP - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Confused Between Node Js And PHP (9955 Views)

Key Differences Between Node JS Vs Javascript / Free PHP, Node js ,Mongo db, Angular And C# Proje Source Code With Documentation / React + Node Js : Fullstack Web Development Training (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Confused Between Node Js And PHP by Thermodynamics(m): 5:19pm On Jan 08, 2023
gimakon2:

There is a company in crossover that hired my friend and pays him $60,000 / year for PHP Laravel.
Stop talking what you do not know.

One example, of course there are still companies using it, but compared to node.js and java, php is less efficient. It'll become irrelevant in the future

1 Like

Re: Confused Between Node Js And PHP by gimakon2(m): 5:25pm On Jan 08, 2023
Thermodynamics:

One example, of course there are still companies using it, but compared to node.js and java, php is less efficient. It'll become irrelevant in the future

Probably, yes.
Re: Confused Between Node Js And PHP by Twakor: 5:28pm On Jan 08, 2023
JAVASCRIPT all the way!

Nodejs is not a language. It’s a backend “framework” (I know it’s not really a framework) which uses javascript.

PHP is for people who live in the past, who have refused to wake up from their slumber.

With Javascript, you will become a complete web developer, with your skills sort after all over the world, not just in Nigeria.

Some of the biggest frameworks today are based in javascript: - Vuejs, React, Angular, Nodejs, etc.

Learn javascript.

3 Likes

Re: Confused Between Node Js And PHP by DissTroy(m): 5:28pm On Jan 08, 2023
Highremedy:
PHP laravel ..... If u are good with that , I sure u don' t even need to be employed by anyone.
Just create any script and sell on codecayon and you will cashing out daily.

Yeah right! Unless those scripts are SAAS which do specific things and solve specific problems, you won't sell. Plus you need a team and marketing to push your script. What script do you want to build that hasn't been built already on CodeCanyon? CodeCanyon displays the engagement rate for each script. Haven't you seen some of just 20 purchases after 4 years? How's that profitable?

Instead you should have adviced him to seek paying gigs while he uses the money to build PHP applications which would fetch him money when sold continually. Even people are stuck on cetsin WP teams.

Hello, Oceanwp, Astra and Oxygen are the prefer. Go search out the number of developers and marketers pushing each or those themes daily.
Re: Confused Between Node Js And PHP by DissTroy(m): 5:33pm On Jan 08, 2023
AKEEMNAS:

This is your opinion and for the record PHP is not dead.
Most of the web services you come across online are running on PHP, even CMS (Content Management System) platforms, a good example of this is WordPress.

Even Slack, the popular collaboration tool was built on PHP.

@OP you can start with either of the two, if you decide to choose PHP, you can learn Laravel after learning PHP.
No Technology is dead or useless. Just learn one and be proficient at it, then you can learn others on the journey. All the best.

Even WP is no longer just PHP dependent. With Headless WP, you can extend functionalities with other languages.

Every dev should learn basic or intermediate PHP but NodeJs is better.
Re: Confused Between Node Js And PHP by tunjineo(m): 5:56pm On Jan 08, 2023
Learn JS. It’s the most popular language now
Re: Confused Between Node Js And PHP by bassdow: 6:34pm On Jan 08, 2023
stevesawo:
Good day guys, please between Node js and PHP, which one has a better prospect for employment in Nigeria. Thanks

Focus on PHP. PHP is mainstream and specially designed for the web.

PHP is mainstream and so much stable than nodeJS.

Also PHP has come a long way and is battle tested enough compared to NodeJS, and from PHP7+ , PHP has been revolutionized.

I started with PHP before moving onto others like GO and RUST but still writes PHP.

if you're new in Programing, start with PHP and please, don't learn frameWorks (especially at the early stages) because those are tools, not Language.

nodeJS is new and haven't gone through the sort of TESTs PHP has passed through.

Plus getting PHP jobs are much easier than nodeJS + hosting requirements of PHP is easily available.

Now some would say nodeJS is faster than PHP but I would disagree to that because, depending on useCase, nodeJS might be faster than plain PHP, but JavaScript's async programing nature is quite difficult for newbies or even average person to grab.
Moreover nodeJS would only appear faster than raw PHP thanks to it's JavaScript’s Event Loop.

Another issue I have with nodeJS is the plethora of ever changing toolchains, and the likes one has to install/upgrade. I love keeping things as neat and simple as I could and nodeJS is just somehow. and even when you have them installed, a single upgrade could render entire server stack unUseAble. Their packages have really low lifeSpan. As in constantly changing with breakingChanges unlike PHP that's often backWards compatible.

PHP would provide you with more jobs, and with more jobs, you get much better.

PHP is much stable than nodeJS. nodeJS technologies and libraries change as often as every 6 months. Imagine being assigned a large project because everyOne else is avoiding it, or the whole toolchain used died and you have to redo the entire project because, development tools support is fading and so on.

Even most people who choose nodeJS because they believe it's faster than PHP really don't know what they're doing. How many of such projects ever grew as huge as FaceBook, or NetFlix and the likes. Most times, PHP is more than enough.

PHP hosting is always super Cheaper no matter how premium you wanna go.

Moreover, PHP + Swoole or PHP + RoadRunner isn't just so much easier to deal with BUT completely blows nodeJS so called speed advantage.

PHP really isn't often as slow as they appear to be. Just that using it is so much simple that a lot of quarterBaked soCalled programmers end up writing buggy codes.

If you really hate PHP so much, then I would suggest GoLang. It's so much better than nodeJS in a lot of ways.

As for those saying PHP is dead, I guess they knew the PHP of the early days, or they just don't know what they're saying. PHP especially since PHP7 has revolutionized so much that even the faceBook's version of PHP called "HACK" that a lot of people switched to, have been abandoned. probably it's now mainly used by faceBook.

And with the rate at which PHP is going, it's just a matter of time and we might start seeing games and system softwares written in PHP. PHP8 really is laying the foundation for those. then we have extensions & libraries such as Swoole , RoadRunner, etc in PHP's space.
See a lot of companies that initially jumped onto nodeJS have left it. If nodeJS continues in it's volatile nature, it would continue loosing more and mre of it's userBase.

I don't bother myself investing in learning a Language that's still very new. I prefer learning older languages else na so you go just dey go Front&Back.

At end of the day, doesn't matter if you know the latest stack - what matters is how proficient you are with them.

3 Likes

Re: Confused Between Node Js And PHP by seanwilliam(m): 6:35pm On Jan 08, 2023
Omo , I know when understand wetin una Dey talk self

1 Like

Re: Confused Between Node Js And PHP by RALPHOW(m): 6:39pm On Jan 08, 2023
Highremedy:
PHP laravel ..... If u are good with that , I sure u don' t even need to be employed by anyone.
Just create any script and sell on codecayon and you will cashing out daily.

Please explain more!°
Re: Confused Between Node Js And PHP by Nascimento(m): 6:48pm On Jan 08, 2023
Hey. My advise is not to get stuck with choosing between NodeJS or php. Pick one and learn it very well. Must importantly build stuffs with it. These programming languages are just tools. You can easily pickup new tools as you go along in your software dev journey.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Confused Between Node Js And PHP by bassdow: 6:54pm On Jan 08, 2023
sammirano:
Go for Node if you get mind.
Re: Confused Between Node Js And PHP by bassdow: 6:55pm On Jan 08, 2023
suratwo62:

PHP is a popular general-purpose language that powers many popular websites and applications. While it may not be as popular as some newer languages, it's still widely used and supported by a large community of developers. Many of the world's most successful companies use PHP, so it's not going to die in 2023. On the contrary, we predict that it's going to become more popular. Source : https://www.scoredigital.io/articles/is-php-going-to-die-in-2023

and if you're creative enough, you could even build a simple advanced mobile app all with PHP, HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
Re: Confused Between Node Js And PHP by Frontend: 7:16pm On Jan 08, 2023
Nodejs especially express its security and Restful architecture is way better than PHP that has security issues
Re: Confused Between Node Js And PHP by cyrusmillz: 7:32pm On Jan 08, 2023
Philipgarza31:

Second question, what was the palmpay site made from? Whoever designed that palmpay site, his skill level is rare. Most times I just log into pampay for the viewing pleasure cheesy grin

That is actually a work of a skilled UI/UX designer
Re: Confused Between Node Js And PHP by yinkarh187(m): 7:36pm On Jan 08, 2023
Maj196:
I'm a core PHP/Laravel dev but switched to MERN (MongoDB, Express, React, Nodejs).
Start with PHP/Laravel then switch to Nodejs later to expand your reach.

Please note Nodejs is not a language but a runtime for JavaScript to be run on a server. It's more faster than PHP with less learning curve. It's preferred by most companies now. PHP is becoming more of a legacy thing.
same here, I just started learning Node some weeks ago, and the beautiful part is that learning node will actually give you insight and more understanding to concepts that laravel gives out of the box ordinarily
Re: Confused Between Node Js And PHP by Olumyco(m): 7:40pm On Jan 08, 2023
Go for Node.js

Tech business nowadays is much more embedded in Startups and many of them are using Node.js.

For job opportunities Node.js is better now...

PHP is fading out gradually...

Any startup today will want to use Node.

1 Like

Re: Confused Between Node Js And PHP by cocoduck: 7:44pm On Jan 08, 2023
if it is in nigeria, go with php, Laravel

1 Like

Re: Confused Between Node Js And PHP by Philipgarza31: 8:48pm On Jan 08, 2023
cyrusmillz:

That is actually a work of a skilled UI/UX designer
the designer did a very good job. I stopped using kuda and totally switched to palmpay. I just love how smooth it runs.
Re: Confused Between Node Js And PHP by Roboto11: 9:05pm On Jan 08, 2023
Thermodynamics:

Php is dead bro, this is not even a difficult decision, you should be thinking between Node.js and Java.

When did Php die?
Re: Confused Between Node Js And PHP by justmondris: 11:12pm On Jan 08, 2023
iamblest:
Depends on your use case or the job you want done.but in Nigeria I would say go for php because it's very easy to learn and master. Don't use framework so as not to get entangled with intricacies and unnecessary complexities. Use CORE PHP.

Because when it comes to backend languages, PHP is dead.
Re: Confused Between Node Js And PHP by Maxxim: 11:16pm On Jan 08, 2023
Twakor:
JAVASCRIPT all the way!

Nodejs is not a language. It’s a backend “framework” (I know it’s not really a framework) which uses javascript.

PHP is for people who live in the past, who have refused to wake up from their slumber.

With Javascript, you will become a complete web developer, with your skills sort after all over the world, not just in Nigeria.

Some of the biggest frameworks today are based in javascript: - Vuejs, React, Angular, Nodejs, etc.

Learn javascript.

I fvck with this comment, similar to someone's answer to this same question on reddit

1 Like

Re: Confused Between Node Js And PHP by Thermodynamics(m): 12:36am On Jan 09, 2023
Roboto11:

When did Php die?
Years ago, them don bury am since, Java de try kill am all these while with no success untill Node.js team up with Java, them strangle PHP to death. So you nor here the story ?
Re: Confused Between Node Js And PHP by Nobody: 1:00am On Jan 09, 2023
Having used both and others, I can assure you they don't do the same thing.
If you want to be a web developer, learn PHP, but to be a software developer, learn Node.js
PHP is faster to grasp, but will also limit your programming skills, it's a fairly simple language. JavaScript is powerful and makes you a better programmer.
No matter how good you are with PHP, you will still need JavaScript knowledge to build modern day websites and applications.

PHP powers more than 50% of websites on the internet. But truth is most of them are stuck with it, rebuilding in another tech isn't worth the try. And what really makes PHP relevant today is wordpress. So if you choose PHP, know wordpress in and out.
Nigerians don't appreciate programmers, there are remote jobs from Europe and South Africa.
Re: Confused Between Node Js And PHP by katibu(m): 4:42am On Jan 09, 2023
Depends on your use case or the job you want done.but in Nigeria I would say go for php because it's very easy to learn and master.
iamblest:
Don't use framework so as not to get entangled with intricacies and unnecessary complexities. Use CORE PHP.
This a very bad advice to not use a framework. nobody uses core programming languages. learn the basic of any language but dont waste time to master, go straight to the most preferred framework. React is a framework. Node is framework, Express is a framework. etc.
Re: Confused Between Node Js And PHP by katibu(m): 4:53am On Jan 09, 2023
Ive good experience in both PHP and MERN Stack and Ive build many projects this year alone mostly in PHP. if you're a Nigerian listen to my advice.... as a web developer, you will be getting independent contacts to build software application for clients. if you get such contracts then use PHP (Laravel). Because its more straightforward and you will only need to write the backend as you will get HTML templates that will save your time building the UI. so its much faster. If you are considering job... then definitely go for MERN stack its the stack with the most opportunities. JS is dominating the world of big companies at this time we are living. but for your small independent projects you can use laravel. PHP is far much more easier to learn. because you only need to learn the basic PHP and laravel framework and HTML templates are ready for you to buy/download. but learning curve of MERN stack is steeper, you have to learn React, Learn NOdejs and Express, Learn MongoDb, Learn Redux, maybe learn Typescript. if your goal is job.. go straight to Nodejs. its steeper but you'll surely get a job soon. if you also wanna build independent projects for clients in Nigeria then go for PHP first and MERN stack later.

2 Likes

Re: Confused Between Node Js And PHP by Spirit247: 9:10am On Jan 09, 2023
katibu:
Ive good experience in both PHP and MERN Stack and Ive build many projects this year alone mostly in PHP. if you're a Nigerian listen to my advice.... as a web developer, you will be getting independent contacts to build software application for clients. if you get such contracts then use PHP (Laravel). Because its more straightforward and you will only need to write the backend as you will get HTML templates that will save your time building the UI. so its much faster. If you are considering job... then definitely go for MERN stack its the stack with the most opportunities. JS is dominating the world of big companies at this time we are living. but for your small independent projects you can use laravel. PHP is far much more easier to learn. because you only need to learn the basic PHP and laravel framework and HTML templates are ready for you to buy/download. but learning curve of MERN stack is steeper, you have to learn React, Learn NOdejs and Express, Learn MongoDb, Learn Redux, maybe learn Typescript. if your goal is job.. go straight to Nodejs. its steeper but you'll surely get a job soon. if you also wanna build independent projects for clients in Nigeria then go for PHP first and MERN stack later.
Thanks so much for all these timely help. I'm working on an unprecedented idea, a webapp. If I employ a better Professional Developer to help me finish it, how can I prevent my idea from being copied and retweaked and hosted as my worse Competitor? Concern of this has almost stagnated my Vision of the awesome Project.

1 Like

Re: Confused Between Node Js And PHP by olatuneji: 3:57pm On Jan 09, 2023
katibu:
Good day bro,

Please can you recommend for me a good YouTube channel to learn php and laraval, to be able to build projects with it. There are lots of php tutorial on YouTube but mostly all is about tutorial learning the basics, I want tutorial that is deep, where projects are been built from scratch.
OR
What can you recommend for me.
Re: Confused Between Node Js And PHP by olatuneji: 3:59pm On Jan 09, 2023
bassdow:

Focus on PHP. PHP is mainstream and specially designed for the web.

PHP is mainstream and so much stable than nodeJS.

Also PHP has come a long way and is battle tested enough compared to NodeJS, and from PHP7+ , PHP has been revolutionized.

I started with PHP before moving onto others like GO and RUST but still writes PHP.

if you're new in Programing, start with PHP and please, don't learn frameWorks (especially at the early stages) because those are tools, not Language.

nodeJS is new and haven't gone through the sort of TESTs PHP has passed through.

Plus getting PHP jobs are much easier than nodeJS + hosting requirements of PHP is easily available.

Now some would say nodeJS is faster than PHP but I would disagree to that because, depending on useCase, nodeJS might be faster than plain PHP, but JavaScript's async programing nature is quite difficult for newbies or even average person to grab.
Moreover nodeJS would only appear faster than raw PHP thanks to it's JavaScript’s Event Loop.

Another issue I have with nodeJS is the plethora of ever changing toolchains, and the likes one has to install/upgrade. I love keeping things as neat and simple as I could and nodeJS is just somehow. and even when you have them installed, a single upgrade could render entire server stack unUseAble. Their packages have really low lifeSpan. As in constantly changing with breakingChanges unlike PHP that's often backWards compatible.

PHP would provide you with more jobs, and with more jobs, you get much better.

PHP is much stable than nodeJS. nodeJS technologies and libraries change as often as every 6 months. Imagine being assigned a large project because everyOne else is avoiding it, or the whole toolchain used died and you have to redo the entire project because, development tools support is fading and so on.

Even most people who choose nodeJS because they believe it's faster than PHP really don't know what they're doing. How many of such projects ever grew as huge as FaceBook, or NetFlix and the likes. Most times, PHP is more than enough.

PHP hosting is always super Cheaper no matter how premium you wanna go.

Moreover, PHP + Swoole or PHP + RoadRunner isn't just so much easier to deal with BUT completely blows nodeJS so called speed advantage.

PHP really isn't often as slow as they appear to be. Just that using it is so much simple that a lot of quarterBaked soCalled programmers end up writing buggy codes.

If you really hate PHP so much, then I would suggest GoLang. It's so much better than nodeJS in a lot of ways.

As for those saying PHP is dead, I guess they knew the PHP of the early days, or they just don't know what they're saying. PHP especially since PHP7 has revolutionized so much that even the faceBook's version of PHP called "HACK" that a lot of people switched to, have been abandoned. probably it's now mainly used by faceBook.

And with the rate at which PHP is going, it's just a matter of time and we might start seeing games and system softwares written in PHP. PHP8 really is laying the foundation for those. then we have extensions & libraries such as Swoole , RoadRunner, etc in PHP's space.
See a lot of companies that initially jumped onto nodeJS have left it. If nodeJS continues in it's volatile nature, it would continue loosing more and mre of it's userBase.

I don't bother myself investing in learning a Language that's still very new. I prefer learning older languages else na so you go just dey go Front&Back.

At end of the day, doesn't matter if you know the latest stack - what matters is how proficient you are with them.

Good day Sir,

Please can you recommend for me a good YouTube channel to learn php and laraval, to be able to build projects with it. There are lots of php tutorial on YouTube but mostly all is about tutorial learning the basics, I want tutorial that is deep, where projects are been built from scratch.
OR
What can you recommend for me.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Epicworship: FREE Church Presentation Software / Programming With Android / Netbeans Vs Eclipse Vs Jboss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.