Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,683 members, 7,955,539 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 08:39 AM

Nigeria: Where Is Our Creativity? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nigeria: Where Is Our Creativity? (1168 Views)

Any Bookstores In Nigeria Where I Can Get Good Books On History? / Writing Requires Creativity, Patience, & Courage. It's Not Easy. / A Concept To Market Our Creativity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria: Where Is Our Creativity? by flexay: 1:08pm On Aug 27, 2007
When you read a foreign book or watch a foreign movie. You are often amazed by the level of skill, innovation and creativity. I might be asking for too much if i say we should look at movies like the Harry Potter series, Prisonbreak, and novels like The Client, Snowwolf and The da'vinci Code. The capture you imaginations and take you to a land of uncertainty and intrigue. You'll hunger for more. It becomes eembarrassingand a great challenge to us as a nation that we cannot produce minds who would challenge the extraordinary and connect the unconnected.

Our artists ave the annoying habits of pampering the mind as if their audience are children. With over 140 million people wWHOlay claim to this great nation, we cannot even boast of up to 10 world class writers, poets, musicians, playwrights or movie directors. Even the C. Achebe, W Soyinka and O. Obafemis and RMD's that we boast of are from the past. In the past 10 years we can only boast of revelations like C. Adichie and another 2 or 3.

This is embarrassing Nigeria.

I implore all. Lets stir our thoughts and begin to think beyond the scope of normal imagination. You never can't over estimate the moral, economic and mental satisfaction we stand to gain from this challenge.

If you luv writing like I do. Feel free and keep in touch. smiley
Re: Nigeria: Where Is Our Creativity? by Terhemen: 10:04am On Aug 28, 2007
Hi Flexay,
Great to see someone echo my very own sentiments about the state of creativity in our great country. But I'm also pleased to say that I think all of that is changing, if only gradually. we are in the era of third generation writers now and I sense in this new breed an avowal to re-write our creative landscape. You must have heard of Helon Habila, with his award winning 'Waiting For An Angel'; there is this girl that just turned 22, Helen Oyeyemi. She wrote a first book titled 'The Icarus Girl' which enjoyed massive reviews here in the UK. Bloomsbury, the publishers of Harry Porter gave her a £400,000 two-book deal. But my personal favorite is this new sensation called Damian Hono. His first novel 'Eden's Diamond' is an intriguing conspiracy theory at the heart of Nigeria's polity and civil life. in my opinion, it's only a matter of time before that guy becomes a global phenomenon. There's light at the end of the tunnel, Flexay
Re: Nigeria: Where Is Our Creativity? by Nobody: 3:39pm On Aug 01, 2009
Nigeria: Where Is Our Creativity?

This is the dumbest thing i've ever heard angry angry angry. Maybe you didn't search well or your blind
Even Nigeria as a whole is plain Creativity. We are so abundantly blessed, it's a shame you can't see it. . .
Re: Nigeria: Where Is Our Creativity? by Oluti(m): 3:00am On Aug 10, 2009
Mivoh,
Are you serious? Where is the creativity you talk about with glee? It is gone with the wind. This country is dead my friend. The soul is gone with SAP. Since then, things are no ‘longer at ease’ and everything is ‘falling apart.’ I agree with you that we are abundantly blessed but the inept and corruption infested leaders we are saddled with since independence is responsible for the dearth of our creative endeavour. A hungry man cannot be creative being. When hunger comes in through the front door, creativity flies out through the window. Until we pass that level where we’ll no longer think of where the next meal will come from, we would not be able to explore our creativity to the fullest.
Re: Nigeria: Where Is Our Creativity? by Nobody: 5:27pm On Aug 10, 2009
Oluti:

Mivoh,
Are you serious? Where is the creativity you talk about with glee? It is gone with the wind. This country is dead my friend. The soul is gone with SAP. Since then, things are no ‘longer at ease’ and everything is ‘falling apart.’ I agree with you that we are abundantly blessed but the inept and corruption infested leaders we are saddled with since independence is responsible for the dearth of our creative endeavour. A hungry man cannot be creative being. When hunger comes in through the front door, creativity flies out through the window. Until we pass that level where we’ll no longer think of where the next meal will come from, we would not be able to explore our creativity to the fullest.

We should learn to not be so NEGATIVE. . . we still got it, that's all i'm sayin. If we don't learn to at least notice the positive things. . . then we'll never ever get to where we're planning to go. So don't ask me "Where is our Creativity", it's there. Perhaps you missed it
Re: Nigeria: Where Is Our Creativity? by SisiJinx: 5:53pm On Aug 10, 2009
Question - Where is our creativity?

Short Answer - Six feet under.

Long Answer - Nigeria and Nigerians do not appreciate Brains, if it isn't Brawn, then it's utterly useless.

Remember the reaction you got when you told your parents you wanted to paint or be a writer? They prolly looked at you with the expression. . . where did we go wrong written all over their faces. The school system is not such that cultivates the artistic part of its pupils and like everything else, if something isn't properly natured. . . it dies.
Re: Nigeria: Where Is Our Creativity? by jantavanta(m): 2:47pm On Aug 20, 2009
I agree that the school system is more of an examination system than an educational system.
How many secondary schools teach electronics, theater arts or dance. Education here is about struggling
to be a doctor, lawyer accountant or engineer.

I have not yet read the novels written by the upcoming UK based authors. But there is so much to write about
if some people can do the writing and can be financed.

Why can't our home video script writers portray magic in a nonnegative and adventurous way like J.K. Rowlings did?
Re: Nigeria: Where Is Our Creativity? by julianH(m): 10:14am On Aug 21, 2009
Positivity is okay but we should also be realistic. Nigeria and Nigerians are blessed there is no doubt but where do we go from here?

Our movie industry is a sorry sight (I dont even waste my time watching any of them).

They want to portray the image that they do not have the wherewithal to project.
Their so called comedy is even worst.

The poster cited examples of some movies - Good.
But are our producers ready to do the research, use the manpower and gadgets to make such movies?

Of course they wont even if they can! Why? They are in a hurry to make films daily!
Where is that done? Only here of course!

Movies is for entertainment and fun - there is no doubt - but our people here think that
the consumerS of the movies they dish out are fools and unreasonable people!
This is beacuse of the line and themes they employ.

And for titles: THEY USE (DUPLICATE) EXISTING WESTERN MOVIE TITLES!

What does it take to create a title for a movie?

Soud tracks? Sorry sight! it does not even allow you to hear the speeches of the actors/actresses!
Aside that, you can even "see" the movies just by standing somewhere and listening to the sound track.

Least some "patriotic citizen" might want to crucify some of us who do not see what they see. The truth is that our movie industry should wake up and grow up. THIS IS NOT THE ERA OF ANDY OKONWU AND CO!
Re: Nigeria: Where Is Our Creativity? by davidif: 1:20am On Aug 27, 2009
How many secondary schools teach electronics, theater arts or dance. Education here is about struggling
to be a doctor, lawyer accountant or engineer.

We have to be pragmatic, we are still a poor country. We need more of those people than we need writers and actors. If any country is going to become industrialized, it needs the baisc things first.

(1) (Reply)

Poem:boulevard Of Misery / ONLY FOR LOVE "Episode 9" Written By @saint_haywhy / The Ghost-worker Aristol, A Short Prose By- Promise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.