Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,567 members, 7,827,133 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:44 AM

Has Anyone Experienced This Kind Of Scam In Lagos, A Friend's Integrity At Stake - Crime (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Has Anyone Experienced This Kind Of Scam In Lagos, A Friend's Integrity At Stake (57203 Views)

Okechukwu Osuji Extradited From Malaysia After Being Found Guilty Of Scam / Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US / Concerned Nairalander Warns The Public About A Popular Scam In Nigeria!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Has Anyone Experienced This Kind Of Scam In Lagos, A Friend's Integrity At Stake by Nolevel666: 10:01pm On Jan 06, 2023
Slynation:
Interesting...!! Then tell him you have someone in Fidelity bank who can track the account number and get the culprits, his next response should tell you if he's lying or acted based on hardship...

Even kidnappers sef no day run account shit.

People don wise up

1 Like

Re: Has Anyone Experienced This Kind Of Scam In Lagos, A Friend's Integrity At Stake by MrEgghead(m): 10:02pm On Jan 06, 2023
AlexBells:
I find it really complicated but my friend's character is likely going to be stained, I'm also concerned about his emotional stability afterwards if there's no proof of his innocence as at this point no one would believe him.

It was an old school group where we both belonged, I didn't know him much back in school to vouch for his character but the incidence has thrown everyone in complex puzzle.

Yesterday, a hospital document surfaced in our old school WhatsApp soliciting for funds, stating that he has apendix and needs it removed, while some of our course mates sent money, some were skeptical and made further inquiries by calling the hospital, the hospital didn't have any such person under admission, a call was placed to the sister who recieved same message of hospital documents and fund demand.

Later on, there was several intriguing aspect to the story but today our course mate resurfaced, at first we made conjectures that he was the one behind the heist but he said he was held against his will by some gang who did the hospital documents, forced him on a video call and used his phone to message his contacts and group with the fund soliciting broadcast.

I called him few minutes ago, he is stating that he is a victim and feeling disappointed that people believed he would do a thing like that and that it is his first time in Lagos.

I don't really know what to believe but I wish to know if anyone ever had this sort of scam approach in Lagos. Could my course mate be innocent or a culprit?
Someone created a topic of this nature a few days ago.
https://www.nairaland.com/7510802/new-scam-town-lagos-ph#119732925
Re: Has Anyone Experienced This Kind Of Scam In Lagos, A Friend's Integrity At Stake by GloriousGbola: 10:02pm On Jan 06, 2023
Ishilove:

My oga, e go hard for me too to extend help to another Nigerian, except the Holy Spirit touches my heart because scamming is ingrained in the DNA of an average Nigerian. See what happened to my friend, as narrated by him:

That story na standard format
I saw this in 1999 in my it. One woman around five star. With naked children. Always looking like the world was falling on her head. People in staff bus said someone dropped a bunch of clothes, next day kids were still naked.

I saw the same woman years later with the same kids in traffic, just much older this time.

I think once I met her somewhere else. She started may Jesus answer all your prayers. Then she must have realised wrong diety and she flipped fast - may the Almighty Allah answer your prayers

Once you ride in danfo you will see and hear enough to make you realise it is simply a days job for them.

Begging on the internet is just another variant of the same hustle

Once you live in lagos long enough you go hard

Also, if you Insult some of these beggars they will immediately flip and turn to agbero on you.

All na hustle.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Has Anyone Experienced This Kind Of Scam In Lagos, A Friend's Integrity At Stake by Ishilove: 10:06pm On Jan 06, 2023
GloriousGbola:

That story na standard format
I saw this in 1999 in my it. One woman around five star. With naked children. Always looking like the world was falling on her head. People in staff bus said someone dropped a bunch of clothes, next day kids were still naked.

I saw the same woman years later with the same kids in traffic, just much older this time.

I think once I met her somewhere else. She started may Jesus answer all your prayers. Then she must have realised wrong diety and she flipped fast - may the Almighty Allah answer your prayers

Once you ride in danfo you will see and hear enough to make you realise it is simply a days job for them.

Begging on the internet is just another variant of the same hustle

Once you live in lagos long enough you go hard

Also, if you Insult some of these beggars they will immediately flip and turn to agbero on you.

All na hustle.
Disgraceful. In hindsight some of them make much more than 9 to fivers like us and there is no way I'm going to be hustled. They have hardened me and nowadays I only give when the spirit leads, which is rarely.
Re: Has Anyone Experienced This Kind Of Scam In Lagos, A Friend's Integrity At Stake by mekussa(m): 10:09pm On Jan 06, 2023
Una get money o....
Appendicitis operation na im pesin tell Una say e wan use 450k do and Una believe.
Appendix operation wey hospitals dey categorize as "MINOR".
If the guy claim say e wan born with surgery, I wonder how much e go bill Una.

Abeg help me too...
My grandmother's cats foster mother went for abortion and the doctor removed her womb.
We need 2 million to replace it with condom.

RICH PEOPLE EVERYWHERE.
Re: Has Anyone Experienced This Kind Of Scam In Lagos, A Friend's Integrity At Stake by chimpad: 10:10pm On Jan 06, 2023
A country where people aren't getting punished for their misdemeanors can never stand. A lot of Nigerians are corrupt, dubious and greedy. I sent a car to a friend in Nigeria as a gift, and the clearing agent took the money meant for clearing and absconded. The car accumulated charges at the port, as he wasn't able to raise another cash for clearing. He evetually did and the demurrage alone was 280k. The clearing agent was arrested by the police,and after the second day in cell, the police told my friend there is no point keeping him there, as that doesn't guarantee a refund. So he was set free, and made to sign that he is gonna pay over a stipulated period of time. It's been over 2 years and he has only paid back 140k. He walks free and carries on with his life like nothing happened, while my friend had to bear all the brunt. How does things work in this country, Isn't this behaviour encouraged when perpetrators already knew the end result? embarassed kiss

1 Like

Re: Has Anyone Experienced This Kind Of Scam In Lagos, A Friend's Integrity At Stake by Nolevel666: 10:15pm On Jan 06, 2023
chimpad:
A country where people aren't getting punished for their misdemeanors can never stand. A lot of Nigerians are corrupt, dubious and greedy. I sent a car to a friend in Nigeria as a gift, and the clearing agent took the money meant for clearing and absconded. The car accumulated charges at the port, as he wasn't able to raise another cash for clearing. He evetually did and the demurrage alone was 280k. The clearing agent was arrested by the police,and after the second day in cell, the police told my friend there is no point keeping him there, as that doesn't guarantee a refund. So he was set free, and made to sign that he is gonna pay over a stipulated period of time. It's been over 2 years and he has only paid back 140k. He walks free and carries on with his life like nothing happened, while my friend had to bear all the brunt. How does things work in this country, Isn't this behaviour encouraged when perpetrators already knew the end result? embarassed kiss

Make una forget about Nigeria.

We only know how to point fingers at people while ourselves are not ready to change.
Re: Has Anyone Experienced This Kind Of Scam In Lagos, A Friend's Integrity At Stake by chimpad: 10:23pm On Jan 06, 2023
This doesn't make sense bro! If we have to forget about Nigeria then post like mine including the Op's is not relevant. Make una continue to dupe one another then.
Nolevel666:

Make una forget about Nigeria.

We only know how to point fingers at people while ourselves are not ready to change.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Has Anyone Experienced This Kind Of Scam In Lagos, A Friend's Integrity At Stake by harmony75: 10:40pm On Jan 06, 2023
But appendix is a very simple surgery and I don't think the cost is much. Does he not have work why are you guys paying for him?
Re: Has Anyone Experienced This Kind Of Scam In Lagos, A Friend's Integrity At Stake by EdmundDantes(m): 10:47pm On Jan 06, 2023
AlexBells:

Not likely to be an injury on him since we spoke over the phone and he sent a video were he was being dropped off an SUV with the drivers and other passengers face not shown

I don't understand this. Someone who was kidnapped was able to video himself being dropped off by the kidnappers?

1 Like

Re: Has Anyone Experienced This Kind Of Scam In Lagos, A Friend's Integrity At Stake by EdmundDantes(m): 10:49pm On Jan 06, 2023
baretalk:

Scam. If it's real he won't be able to video them. He is in on it.

One hundred percent correct!

1 Like

Re: Has Anyone Experienced This Kind Of Scam In Lagos, A Friend's Integrity At Stake by Kulgid(m): 10:56pm On Jan 06, 2023
I saw a post some days ago on NL about the new format those scammers use and it something like this. They post a job opening and call for interview, when you go they kidnap the person use his phone to send some message to the person's contact about a sure business and so on... Just trying to recall the info on that post.
Re: Has Anyone Experienced This Kind Of Scam In Lagos, A Friend's Integrity At Stake by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 10:58pm On Jan 06, 2023
AlexBells:
I find it really complicated but my friend's character is likely going to be stained, I'm also concerned about his emotional stability afterwards if there's no proof of his innocence as at this point no one would believe him.

It was an old school group where we both belonged, I didn't know him much back in school to vouch for his character but the incidence has thrown everyone in complex puzzle.

Yesterday, a hospital document surfaced in our old school WhatsApp soliciting for funds, stating that he has apendix and needs it removed, while some of our course mates sent money, some were skeptical and made further inquiries by calling the hospital, the hospital didn't have any such person under admission, a call was placed to the sister who recieved same message of hospital documents and fund demand.

Later on, there was several intriguing aspect to the story but today our course mate resurfaced, at first we made conjectures that he was the one behind the heist but he said he was held against his will by some gang who did the hospital documents, forced him on a video call and used his phone to message his contacts and group with the fund soliciting broadcast.

I called him few minutes ago, he is stating that he is a victim and feeling disappointed that people believed he would do a thing like that and that it is his first time in Lagos.

I don't really know what to believe but I wish to know if anyone ever had this sort of scam approach in Lagos. Could my course mate be innocent or a culprit?
very fake receipt…. Look at the writings….. paper prints re blurry, names written with biro and date are very sharp then the other biro prints below are as blurry as the paper print.
Re: Has Anyone Experienced This Kind Of Scam In Lagos, A Friend's Integrity At Stake by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 11:01pm On Jan 06, 2023
AlexBells:

It really complicated, I wish there's someone who could throw more lights on this method of crime, for some reason I don't know what to believe but somehow I feel that my course mate could be a victim, it real complicated, they money can be replaced but not exactly for broken trust
look at the writings…. The printed words on the receipt are blurry, the cost of drugs written with a pen are blurry, the writing at the bottom of the paper written by hand are also sort of blurry but your class mates name is very sharp written in a different handwriting and with a different shade of blue pen…. That is a doctored receipt
Re: Has Anyone Experienced This Kind Of Scam In Lagos, A Friend's Integrity At Stake by jimcaddy(m): 11:42pm On Jan 06, 2023
Almost every Nigerian is either dubious or has dubious tendencies. It's just in our DNA, we can't help it.
Re: Has Anyone Experienced This Kind Of Scam In Lagos, A Friend's Integrity At Stake by ShenTeh(m): 11:42pm On Jan 06, 2023
AlexBells:

But the main issue now is that we don't know if our friend is a victim or the culprit, he said he was forced to make the video call and all the chats which was being done with his phone by those who held him hostage, nobody believes him, everyone believes he's behind the heist.

Nothing complicated here. Let him show us proof of reporting the case to the police. Period.
Re: Has Anyone Experienced This Kind Of Scam In Lagos, A Friend's Integrity At Stake by baretalk: 11:55pm On Jan 06, 2023
IslamIsIdiotic:
Do you honestly expect the followers to be more honest than their leaders?

Yes followers can, are we zombies of the leaders?
Rather, leaders are products of the system.
Re: Has Anyone Experienced This Kind Of Scam In Lagos, A Friend's Integrity At Stake by Stevedison(m): 12:39am On Jan 07, 2023
AlexBells:

I understand how you feel about this. What if he was really held against his will and forced to do all these things. It is possible. Don't forget these messages were also sent to his family, would he go as far as breaking the trust of his own family?

These things are happening ooo. Some are even raped but they can't say it out. These are formats fraudsters use in Lagos and they are cashing out with it.

One happened in a Hotel where I once worked. The victim was an online marketer. He sells wears. These guys made order for clothes online and the seller was to deliver the clothes that Sunday morning. They directed him to bring the clothes to the room they are in. To cut the story short he was robbed of all his belongings. Even the clothes he wore that day and the they actually wanted to rape him. It was at this point he couldn't take it anymore so he forced himself through the door that led to the balcony not minding how many story it is. Fortunately for him the room was in the second floor so he only sustained minor injuries. For me only the look in his eyes showed he was terrified. Before the security officials could get to the room they already left.
These things happen in Lagos very well.

I think you should reach out to your friend so he wouldn't go into depression cos it would still hurt him greatly if his own family actually didnt believ him. Also advice him to report the case to the appropriate authorities if he was really innocent.

Is he a serving corp member?

1 Like

Re: Has Anyone Experienced This Kind Of Scam In Lagos, A Friend's Integrity At Stake by Nolevel666: 12:45am On Jan 07, 2023
chimpad:
This doesn't make sense bro! If we have to forget about Nigeria then post like mine including the Op's is not relevant. Make una continue to dupe one another then.

True sha but where can or do we start from?

Everything in Nigeria seems to be messed up including the younger generation that are supposed to at least start the nation afresh.

See national debt.

Even if any government comes to build one industry overnight,our debt issue will still not allow any substantial thing to be done in the country. Not to talk of fuel subsidy

Percentage of illiteracy high as ever

Person gats tire jor
Re: Has Anyone Experienced This Kind Of Scam In Lagos, A Friend's Integrity At Stake by sanerugwei: 12:56am On Jan 07, 2023
These are some of the Boyz oga bulaba bala blu angry grin wants to convert from yahoo to making plantain chips Dan san dau... shocked shocked

Hospital broooom broooom, broooom thats their symbol...

They couldn't even make a damn abi na down payment for roasted corn � for the victim..

Instead op is still trying to turn a rotten situation into a bad one.

Oma ga...omase o...

More of these to happen if you youths don't vote wisely...
Re: Has Anyone Experienced This Kind Of Scam In Lagos, A Friend's Integrity At Stake by 2016v2017: 1:11am On Jan 07, 2023
Ishilove:
Nigerians... Is there no limit to our dubiousness? Are there no lengths we cannot go to dupe our compatriots of their hard earned money? Why is this insidious dishonesty a major part of our national character??

Wo abeg, I don taya for una. Shior
Re: Has Anyone Experienced This Kind Of Scam In Lagos, A Friend's Integrity At Stake by Tito24: 4:02am On Jan 07, 2023
Akfrenzy:
grin that same LAGOS TINUBU built abi

Many things supposed dey happen nah

OLOSHI BEGAT OLOSHI
the one Peter Obi built
Una nor fit commot on Mondays
Erosion wan even finish uan for there
Re: Has Anyone Experienced This Kind Of Scam In Lagos, A Friend's Integrity At Stake by faceLAGOS: 5:25am On Jan 07, 2023
Is it by force to stay alive?

Can’t he just die & give room to others coming??

After all, we need more of less people in this world.
sad
Re: Has Anyone Experienced This Kind Of Scam In Lagos, A Friend's Integrity At Stake by Nobody: 5:32am On Jan 07, 2023
Thought another Nairaland said something about this kind of scam earlier. Where people are held against their will. Most are lured through jobs scam (of making down payments) and asked to come over to Lagos, at the instant they will be held and use to siphon their contacts with threats to their lives.

Check Crime section, someone said something about this new format. Give the dude some benefits of doubt, so that it won't turnout he was right all along after he has taken his life out of shame and distrust of many.
AlexBells:

Re: Has Anyone Experienced This Kind Of Scam In Lagos, A Friend's Integrity At Stake by chudez0147(m): 5:51am On Jan 07, 2023
Dshocker:
The more hunger in the land, the more creative they become.
...Creative? This is trash.
Re: Has Anyone Experienced This Kind Of Scam In Lagos, A Friend's Integrity At Stake by ikeasogwa: 6:31am On Jan 07, 2023
Whose account was provided for the solicited fund? That's a lead whether he's a willing victim or culprit.
Re: Has Anyone Experienced This Kind Of Scam In Lagos, A Friend's Integrity At Stake by xangerar: 6:34am On Jan 07, 2023
Some years back, someone did this in my university class Whatsapp group. He planned it with his girlfriend. Don't mind that defence.
Re: Has Anyone Experienced This Kind Of Scam In Lagos, A Friend's Integrity At Stake by Sammy5413(m): 6:48am On Jan 07, 2023
So na forged documents scam all of una dey do now, I go dey waste time learn crypto!
Re: Has Anyone Experienced This Kind Of Scam In Lagos, A Friend's Integrity At Stake by Pwettylinda(f): 7:38am On Jan 07, 2023
AlexBells:

It really complicated, I wish there's someone who could throw more lights on this method of crime, for some reason I don't know what to believe but somehow I feel that my course mate could be a victim, it real complicated, they money can be replaced but not exactly for broken trust

It happens, you can be kidnapped and the first thing the evil kidnappers would do is go through your contacts and start making you to call people.

But in this case them going to the hospital is something I don't understand sha

Well Nigerians are evil even the hospital came be arranged or faked

1 Like

Re: Has Anyone Experienced This Kind Of Scam In Lagos, A Friend's Integrity At Stake by AlexBells(m): 7:40am On Jan 07, 2023
Pwettylinda:

It happens, you can be kidnapped and the first thing the evil kidnappers would do is go through your contacts and start making you to call people.

But in this case them going to the hospital is something I don't understand sha

Well Nigerians are evil even the hospital came be arranged or faked
They didn’t go to hospital, they forged the hospital documents
Re: Has Anyone Experienced This Kind Of Scam In Lagos, A Friend's Integrity At Stake by Nobody: 7:49am On Jan 07, 2023
AlexBells:

But the main issue now is that we don't know if our friend is a victim or the culprit, he said he was forced to make the video call and all the chats which was being done with his phone by those who held him hostage, nobody believes him, everyone believes he's behind the heist.

It will be difficult to tell if he is a victim or culprit. Unless you guys are prepared to dig deeper. Truth be told he might actually be a victim as this is a very possible scam in Lagos. Yesterday or so there was a thread where people are lured to start jobs and then are kidnapped when they get to Lagos. They are then forced to call friends to also come as they have secured jobs for them in their company and the cycle continues. So both possibilities are open.
Re: Has Anyone Experienced This Kind Of Scam In Lagos, A Friend's Integrity At Stake by Lamasta(m): 8:42am On Jan 07, 2023
AlexBells:

If they have succeeded in collecting those funds without them being caught would he still have come out to share this story of Hus innocence I don't trust your friend after all he was not kidnapped

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Okada Riders And Police Clash In Lagos, Three Feared Killed / Eiye Cofraternity Members Arrested By Soldiers During Cult Clash In Lagos.Photos / Nofisat Adetutu Ibrahim, Banker Killed By Assassins In Ondo [photo]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.