Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,990 members, 7,810,765 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:55 PM

Have You Ever Gotten A Job Through A CV - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Have You Ever Gotten A Job Through A CV (10976 Views)

Ever Gotten A Job Through Your House Of Reps Member Or Senator? / Has Anyone In Nigeria Ever Gotten A Job From Indeed? / Have You Ever Gotten A Job Through Linkedin, Share Your Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Ever Gotten A Job Through A CV by sheriffman(m): 11:59am On Jan 09, 2023
YES 3 JOBS AND STILL AT 1 10YRS RUNNING
Re: Have You Ever Gotten A Job Through A CV by chatinent: 12:05pm On Jan 09, 2023
I've told you folks times without number...study connection.
Re: Have You Ever Gotten A Job Through A CV by musty16: 12:05pm On Jan 09, 2023
Sirchiboy:
Same here.
Applied over 100 jobs yet no show
not even an invite for interview or aptitude test??
Re: Have You Ever Gotten A Job Through A CV by OboOlora(f): 12:06pm On Jan 09, 2023
PerfectStranger:

That LinkedIn is mostly for people residing around Lagos. We wey Dey different state nkor?

All the interview invites I got was Lagos Lagos Lagos, no single one from my state or nearby and I couldn’t meet up due to accommodation.Life is just scr*wed.angry
Life isn’t screWed bro, always be positive and look at the side of life
Lagos is the hub so you can put Lagos as your location (just to woo recruiters) and be willing/ready to relocate once the opportunity comes.

I know a cousin that got a job from Oshogbo with Bovas and when employed, he told them he would prefer Oshogbo as his location. He was then made a station chief there!

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Gotten A Job Through A CV by PerfectStranger(m): 12:10pm On Jan 09, 2023
OboOlora:

Life isn’t screWed bro, always be positive and look at the side of life
Lagos is the hub so you can put Lagos as your location (just to woo recruiters) and be willing/ready to relocate once the opportunity comes.

I know a cousin that got a job from Oshogbo with Bovas and when employed, he told them he would prefer Oshogbo as his location. He was then made a station chief there!
My location is Lagos, but during interviews, how do I meet up from Akwa Ibom state? With no relative, friend nor accommodation? Reason am bro. Thanks for your input tho cool

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Gotten A Job Through A CV by everythinggirly(f): 12:10pm On Jan 09, 2023
As the country don bad reach, do people even look at cv anymore? No time to read.
I overheard a manager of one company saying he has burnt over 1000 cv in his office, it's by chance or recommendations.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Gotten A Job Through A CV by Sirchiboy: 12:25pm On Jan 09, 2023
musty16:
not even an invite for interview or aptitude test??
Yes please help.me
Re: Have You Ever Gotten A Job Through A CV by Josbreed: 12:25pm On Jan 09, 2023
I started working in 2011, I am now in my 5th company now, all of them were through CVs. But what I am wondering is that I have never gotten a job via LinkedIn. Do people really get jobs there abi that sirte na for the working class to be oppressing job hunters?

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Gotten A Job Through A CV by perfri(m): 12:27pm On Jan 09, 2023
Send your Cv to this email address perfectokide@tribestsupport.com

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Gotten A Job Through A CV by Gohs: 12:39pm On Jan 09, 2023
Let's vote Peter Obi so there will be more jobs for us all grin
Re: Have You Ever Gotten A Job Through A CV by Yankee101: 12:56pm On Jan 09, 2023
Most of the jobs were via CV
You need to state what you have done and what you can do to attract attention, it must stand out

Avoid even the slightest spelling errors

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Gotten A Job Through A CV by ImaIma1(f): 12:59pm On Jan 09, 2023
Dogshow:
Gone are the days where HRs or Recruiters employ jobseekers based on their skills, expertise and competencies. We are in an era whereby most Nigerian jobs are based on recommendations, referrals, amongst others.

Mine was even before I graduated from school that I've been rolling out multiple CVs due to the fear of the unknown, and not a single feedback up until now. I really do not know maybe there's something I'm just not doing right or is a Nigeria factor happening to everybody.

I would like fellow nairalanders to share their experiences.

Yep. My present job.
Re: Have You Ever Gotten A Job Through A CV by Polchiz(m): 1:42pm On Jan 09, 2023
Dogshow:
Gone are the days where HRs or Recruiters employ jobseekers based on their skills, expertise and competencies. We are in an era whereby most Nigerian jobs are based on recommendations, referrals, amongst others.

Mine was even before I graduated from school that I've been rolling out multiple CVs due to the fear of the unknown, and not a single feedback up until now. I really do not know maybe there's something I'm just not doing right or is a Nigeria factor happening to everybody.

Apply for Graduate/Management Trainee positions that you fulfilled all the requirements.
STOP sending CV for unadvertised jobs.
https://www./
Re: Have You Ever Gotten A Job Through A CV by Oktane: 1:43pm On Jan 09, 2023
PerfectStranger:

Bro Nigeria is a mess already, talking about security tho, you don’t expect me to relocate down to Lagos when I got no one nor accommodation. Do you expect me to sleep under the bridge?

A couple of friends I had then in Lagos disappointed me. I know life is all about risk but it should be a calculated risk. No one is just willing to help, trust issues here and there. If you be OG you’ll definitely relate. Thanks for the advise tho cool

Bros quote me on a dead thread. Perhaps I can be of help.

I will need sincere answers to the following questions;

Your age

Your qualifications/specialization

Your career experience (if any)

I may just be able to help you if you are flexible enough.

Cheers!

And by the way....it's a great life. The screwed part is he colour of your current lenses.
Re: Have You Ever Gotten A Job Through A CV by greygoblings(m): 1:47pm On Jan 09, 2023
Yes all my previous 14 jobs
Re: Have You Ever Gotten A Job Through A CV by phemmyfour: 1:49pm On Jan 09, 2023
Dogshow:

Who CV help
Linkedlnd all the way

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Gotten A Job Through A CV by JudasNaKarrot: 1:52pm On Jan 09, 2023
atobs4real:
yes. but job is gotten thru man know man
Gagaragaga Gazelle urchin spotted.
Re: Have You Ever Gotten A Job Through A CV by BlackMan6969(m): 2:08pm On Jan 09, 2023
Attend "power must change hands" for mountain of fire. Them call you for interview.
Re: Have You Ever Gotten A Job Through A CV by phemmyfour: 2:48pm On Jan 09, 2023
PerfectStranger:

That LinkedIn is mostly for people residing around Lagos. We wey Dey different state nkor?

All the interview invites I got was Lagos Lagos Lagos, no single one from my state or nearby and I couldn’t meet up due to accommodation.Life is just scr*wed.angry
You better move. If your forefathers moved to Lagos decades ago from their villages when naija was good, i don't know the excuse you have now.

You're at a disadvantage if you're not in Lagos
Re: Have You Ever Gotten A Job Through A CV by PerfectStranger(m): 3:49pm On Jan 09, 2023
phemmyfour:
You better move. If your forefathers moved to Lagos decades ago from their villages when naija was good, i don't know the excuse you have now.

You're at a disadvantage if you're not in Lagos
But I got no one there, do you expect me to live under the bridge?

You know how much it takes to rent an apartment as a fresher in Lagos. Bro if you were in my shoes, what would you have done?

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Gotten A Job Through A CV by phemmyfour: 4:09pm On Jan 09, 2023
PerfectStranger:

But I got no one there, do you expect me to live under the bridge?

You know how much it takes to rent an apartment as a fresher in Lagos. Bro if you were in my shoes, what would you have done?
Yet another silly excuse
You don't have church members, ex colleagues, your relatives (distant or otherwise), online friends etc.

Do you think every Nigerian that travels abroad got someone there? Nothing happens unless you move away from your comfort zone.

The fact that you are getting offers in Lagos is a sign to tell you that your relocation is long overdue.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Gotten A Job Through A CV by PerfectStranger(m): 4:16pm On Jan 09, 2023
phemmyfour:
Yet another silly excuse
You don't have church members, ex colleagues, your relatives (distant or otherwise), online friends etc.

Do you think every Nigerian that travels abroad got someone there? Nothing happens unless you move away from your comfort zone.

The fact that you are getting offers in Lagos is a sign to tell you that your relocation is long overdue.

Few friends I had disappointed me, some gave me excuses that they’re married. Few online friends gave me hope and later turned me down.

Bro do you think I don’t have the mind to move even without having anyone? Do you think I’m happy with the way things are?

Do you live in Lagos?
Re: Have You Ever Gotten A Job Through A CV by irumanle(m): 4:55pm On Jan 09, 2023
My case is not different from the Op's. I have a diploma in Chemical Engineering, BSc in Quantity Surveying and vast experience in construction project management because I spent my service year as a team member for the construction of a mall and modern markets in Kaduna state.
All CVs sent sent didn't bring a single invitation let alone telling them what you can offer.
This one na country?
Re: Have You Ever Gotten A Job Through A CV by SodiumValproate: 7:20pm On Jan 09, 2023
post=119860628:
Not Really

ThankGod For Blogging Business

Without Blogging Business, Nobody will know About And His Bad News Thread.
Mumu grin
Re: Have You Ever Gotten A Job Through A CV by SodiumValproate: 7:22pm On Jan 09, 2023
lajid:
Why type of question is this? How do you intend to get one without a cv, huh (at least in most cases).

Cv + God will do the magic
E be like say u never see where Dem use person CV serve person Akara for roadside before grin
Re: Have You Ever Gotten A Job Through A CV by lajid: 9:24pm On Jan 09, 2023
SodiumValproate:

E be like say u never see where Dem use person CV serve person Akara for roadside before grin

That one is different na, not related to his question.
Re: Have You Ever Gotten A Job Through A CV by Lamanii22(f): 10:55am On Jan 10, 2023
macjurek:
Yes,CV has got me Interviews and a have gotten employments
please help my condition too
Re: Have You Ever Gotten A Job Through A CV by irumanle(m): 3:09pm On Jan 10, 2023
Which website can one use to build and download CV free of charge please?
Re: Have You Ever Gotten A Job Through A CV by drphantom: 12:06am On Jan 11, 2023
Those days are not gone.

All the jobs I've worked for the last 2 decades have been through CVs. Through my CV and God's grace I have worked for multinationals in local, regional and international capacities.

Current one was even through a headhunter reaching out directly to me on LinkedIn. I didn't apply.

From your writeup I see a few issues that may be the reason you are having challenges.

Stop sending out unsolicited CV. Too many people do that so your just one of several applying to a company that may not even be able to afford to hire you.

Stop sending out CVs unless the company is actually hiring. No company is a charity. They hire who they need and are not doing people favours.

Stop sending out generic CVs. Your sending out multiple CVs suggests that you are sending out the same CV. In today's market you need to tailor your CV to the job e.g. highlight your IT skills and experience when applying for IT jobs; tweak the same CV to showcase your administrative and organizational expereince when applying for project manager jobs.

Learn how to use industry and role specific key words in your CV. Today's CVs and LinkedIn profiles are scanned by ATS software that recruited use to screen them before any human being physically sights your CV. If the ATS doesn't score your CV high its going to get dropped. For instance, a company looking for a senior manager in finance is going to expect keywords like budgeting, cost control, fiscal planning etc in the CV. They will simply program the ATS to weed out Cvs that don't contain those words.

These are just a few tips that may increase your chances.

From my experience and interaction with HR professionals, jobs are there. The problem is people not taking the time to study how to apply for the jobs and how to prep themselves appropriately.

There are many free videos on YouTube that can help with tips for job applications and many CV writing workshops you can attend to help you out.

I hope this helps.

Dogshow:

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Gotten A Job Through A CV by drphantom: 12:08am On Jan 11, 2023
irumanle:
My case is not different from the Op's. I have a diploma in Chemical Engineering, BSc in Quantity Surveying and vast experience in construction project management because I spent my service year as a team member for the construction of a mall and modern markets in Kaduna state.
All CVs sent sent didn't bring a single invitation let alone telling them what you can offer.
This one na country?

Hello there.

Please refer to my comment to the OP.
It seems to me you're both making the same mistake.
Re: Have You Ever Gotten A Job Through A CV by irumanle(m): 2:52pm On Jan 11, 2023
drphantom:
Those days are not gone.

All the jobs I've worked for the last 2 decades have been through CVs. Through my CV and God's grace I have worked for multinationals in local, regional and international capacities.

Current one was even through a headhunter reaching out directly to me on LinkedIn. I didn't apply.

From your writeup I see a few issues that may be the reason you are having challenges.

Stop sending out unsolicited CV. Too many people do that so your just one of several applying to a company that may not even be able to afford to hire you.

Stop sending out CVs unless the company is actually hiring. No company is a charity. They hire who they need and are not doing people favours.

Stop sending out generic CVs. Your sending out multiple CVs suggests that you are sending out the same CV. In today's market you need to tailor your CV to the job e.g. highlight your IT skills and experience when applying for IT jobs; tweak the same CV to showcase your administrative and organizational expereince when applying for project manager jobs.

Learn how to use industry and role specific key words in your CV. Today's CVs and LinkedIn profiles are scanned by ATS software that recruited use to screen them before any human being physically sights your CV. If the ATS doesn't score your CV high its going to get dropped. For instance, a company looking for a senior manager in finance is going to expect keywords like budgeting, cost control, fiscal planning etc in the CV. They will simply program the ATS to weed out Cvs that don't contain those words.

These are just a few tips that may increase your chances.

From my experience and interaction with HR professionals, jobs are there. The problem is people not taking the time to study how to apply for the jobs and how to prep themselves appropriately.

There are many free videos on YouTube that can help with tips for job applications and many CV writing workshops you can attend to help you out.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for this wonderful piece of information. Kindly help with insight on how to tailor my LinkedIn profile to make it appealing to recruiters.
Re: Have You Ever Gotten A Job Through A CV by drphantom: 11:18pm On Jan 11, 2023
https://everyonesocial.com/blog/linkedin-profile-optimization/

https://businessday.ng/amp/news/article/linkedin-profile-optimization-a-step-by-step-guide-to-optimize-your-linkedin-profile/

https://www.visualcv.com/blog/how-to-beat-the-applicant-tracking-system/

https://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/how-to-optimize-linkedin-profile-for-better-visibility/

https://www.indeed.com/career-advice/resumes-cover-letters/how-to-beat-applicant-tracking-system

https://www./how-beat-applicant-tracking-system-ats-lee

These are just a few links to get you started. They are focused on optimizing your LinkedIn profile and tips on beating the ATS software many recruiters use these days.

For your CV, I suggest perfecting your LinkedIn profile then downloading your profile as a CV ( you will find that feature under your profile). That way you have a generic CV you can tailor to specific jobs when applying for them.

Finally, you can pay for LinkedIn optimisation and a CV review. Cost can run from between NGN 25 - 75k depending on what exact service you're paying for and how skilled the person is. This is optional though. The links above can help you achieve the same result if their advice is carefully followed.

irumanle:
Thanks for this wonderful piece of information. Kindly help with insight on how to tailor my LinkedIn profile to make it appealing to recruiters.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Workforce Top Talent Trainee Past Questions / Call Centre Agent Test Invite / NECO Coordination Start On 18th August 2016-Earn N10,000-N15,000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.