Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,078 members, 7,811,019 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:49 PM

An Employer Can Sue An Employee Or Former Employee In Nigeria. - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / An Employer Can Sue An Employee Or Former Employee In Nigeria. (11186 Views)

How An Employer Sacked A Job Seeker Immediately After Giving Him A 250K Job / An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? / Doctor Shares Experience With An Employer In Abuja, rejects N70K salary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Employer Can Sue An Employee Or Former Employee In Nigeria. by Rubyjade: 10:13pm On Jan 09, 2023
An employer can sue an employee or former employee in Nigeria.

Instituting an action in court is not special or divine rights of employees or former employees.

The employer can sue an employee or former employee for the same rights and reasons an employee or former employee can sue an employer.

Sidmach Technologies Nigeria Limited vs. Onuorah Chinwe, is an example of a case where the employer sued a former employee, Onurah Chinwe

In the case, it showed that

1. an employer can sue a former employee. where the former employer acts contrary to the provision of the contract of employment.

2. where a former employee fragrantly acted outside the ambit of her right under the law.

3. an employer can sue to ask the court to affirm the actions i.e voluntary resignation of a former employee.

4. an employer can sue a former employee to stop a former employee from parading herself as a staff or employee.

5. an employer can sue to recover properties if the former employee keeps holding on to the employer's properties. i.e Car, Laptop, Identity Card, Company issued Mobile Phone etc

6. an employer can sue where a former employee is asking for more than what such former employee is entitled to as disengagement entitlements, or engaging in acts that would cause harm to the employer in making her demands. etc

7. an employer can sue former employees for harms caused or debts owned the employer or for acts or actions of the former employee upon resignation that would cause harm to the employer.

Infact in that case, the court granted all the employer's prayers and awarded costs and damages against the employee.

Happy New Year and have great week.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Employer Can Sue An Employee Or Former Employee In Nigeria. by boldking(m): 2:17pm On Jan 10, 2023
Na lie , because the election is fast approaching and you all knows that Obi will win that’s why TINUBU is taking poor people’s voters Card now tell me what they’re doing with it.

Massive rigging will surely take place

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Employer Can Sue An Employee Or Former Employee In Nigeria. by iHateFraudsters: 2:17pm On Jan 10, 2023
By the time your employer go list all your fvckups, you go ask yourself why you go court.

7 Likes

Re: An Employer Can Sue An Employee Or Former Employee In Nigeria. by Naturalgbola(m): 2:18pm On Jan 10, 2023
alright
Re: An Employer Can Sue An Employee Or Former Employee In Nigeria. by Paragon311(m): 2:21pm On Jan 10, 2023
It is a vice versa things.

There is provision for both in the constitution....

3 Likes

Re: An Employer Can Sue An Employee Or Former Employee In Nigeria. by Allisgud: 2:22pm On Jan 10, 2023
I need help oh,I want to sue my former company for failure to remit my pension to the pension company,because I didn't submit my RSA on time

5 Likes

Re: An Employer Can Sue An Employee Or Former Employee In Nigeria. by Dronedude(m): 2:22pm On Jan 10, 2023
Ok, I will be rich till I die.

1 Like

Re: An Employer Can Sue An Employee Or Former Employee In Nigeria. by donproject2(m): 2:22pm On Jan 10, 2023
Sule zoo
Re: An Employer Can Sue An Employee Or Former Employee In Nigeria. by NPFLADMIN(m): 2:30pm On Jan 10, 2023
Re: An Employer Can Sue An Employee Or Former Employee In Nigeria. by Nobody: 2:34pm On Jan 10, 2023
Why is this information useful in today's Nigeria?

98 percent of the circumstances that lead to termination of a working relationship between an employer and an employee in Nigeria, always see the employee being on the detrimental side. Nigerian employers, especially in established companies and organisations, are modern day slave merchants. So after using an employee like a dental floss, you wan wake up still go sue am?

Na your papa go follow you go the court case!

5 Likes

Re: An Employer Can Sue An Employee Or Former Employee In Nigeria. by Kentuforchrist(m): 2:34pm On Jan 10, 2023
Vote visely oooo

Don’t drink poison Becos it was served in a tribal cup
Re: An Employer Can Sue An Employee Or Former Employee In Nigeria. by LibertyRep: 2:36pm On Jan 10, 2023
Allisgud:
I need help oh,I want to sue my former company for failure to remit my pension to the pension company,because I didn't submit my RSA on time

I carry chair Siddon dey wait for responses to this post.

1 Like

Re: An Employer Can Sue An Employee Or Former Employee In Nigeria. by YosemiteDan: 2:36pm On Jan 10, 2023
Okay ooh
Re: An Employer Can Sue An Employee Or Former Employee In Nigeria. by Omniman(m): 2:37pm On Jan 10, 2023
My former employer can sue me if i breach term of agreement upon leaving the company, eg using the companies files somewhere else.

Thats why it is critical to read terms of agreement upon signing and taking job offers. And you can involve a lawyer to help you interpret complex clauses.

smiley

Some companies might want to set you up by confusing you with grammar.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Employer Can Sue An Employee Or Former Employee In Nigeria. by Helpfromabove1(m): 2:37pm On Jan 10, 2023
An employee can also sue a former employer for many reasons too

Going to court is not only open to employer , employees too can also sue
Re: An Employer Can Sue An Employee Or Former Employee In Nigeria. by Kobicove(m): 2:37pm On Jan 10, 2023
Of course an employer can sue an employee, there is nothing new or strange about this undecided

2 Likes

Re: An Employer Can Sue An Employee Or Former Employee In Nigeria. by Kobicove(m): 2:38pm On Jan 10, 2023
Allisgud:

I hope the amount in question is worth the cost of the court action grin

2 Likes

Re: An Employer Can Sue An Employee Or Former Employee In Nigeria. by taxiappguy: 2:43pm On Jan 10, 2023
My question is what are the costs and time period to the employer? Is there a particular court that handles these?
Re: An Employer Can Sue An Employee Or Former Employee In Nigeria. by enonche85(m): 2:44pm On Jan 10, 2023
Allisgud:

me i submitted mine and they are still yet to remit it. I want to report them to PENCOM

2 Likes

Re: An Employer Can Sue An Employee Or Former Employee In Nigeria. by Venerable612(m): 2:48pm On Jan 10, 2023
Rubyjade:

Instituting an action in court is not special or divine rights of employees or former employees.

The employer can sue an employee or former employee for the same rights and reasons an employee or former employee can sue an employer.

Sidmach Technologies Nigeria Limited vs. Onuorah Chinwe, is an example of a case where the employer sued a former employee, Onurah Chinwe

1. an employer can sue a former employee. where the former employer acts contrary to the provision of the contract of employment.

2. where a former employee fragrantly acted outside the ambit of her right under the law.

3. an employer can sue to ask the court to affirm the actions i.e voluntary resignation of a former employee.

4. an employer can sue a former employee to stop a former employee from parading herself as a staff or employee.

5. an employer can sue to recover properties if the former employee keeps holding on to the employer's properties. i.e Car, Laptop, Identity Card, Company issued Mobile Phone etc

6. an employer can sue where a former employee is asking for more than what such former employee is entitled to as disengagement entitlements, or engaging in acts that would cause harm to the employer in making her demands. etc

7. an employer can sue former employees for harms caused or debts owned the employer or for acts or actions of the former employee upon resignation that would cause harm to the employer.

Infact in that case, the court granted all the employer's prayers and awarded costs and damages against the employee.

This is a given.

An employment contract is a contract after all - and can be enforced in Court by either party.

1 Like

Re: An Employer Can Sue An Employee Or Former Employee In Nigeria. by ajekpaks(m): 2:55pm On Jan 10, 2023
y I was wondering the same thing the other day can employers be sued to court?
Re: An Employer Can Sue An Employee Or Former Employee In Nigeria. by airsaylongcome: 3:00pm On Jan 10, 2023
boldking:
Na lie , because the election is fast approaching and you all knows that Obi will win that’s why TINUBU is taking poor people’s voters Card now tell me what they’re doing with it.

Any ideas how they plan to accomplish that? I hear people complaining that they are collecting VINs. Can they do anything with the VIN? Plus when INEC uploaded the Voter's register everyone's VIN was visible. And people harvested all of that data.
Re: An Employer Can Sue An Employee Or Former Employee In Nigeria. by tk4radi: 3:01pm On Jan 10, 2023
Rubyjade:

Ok na

1 Like

Re: An Employer Can Sue An Employee Or Former Employee In Nigeria. by Olam09(m): 3:05pm On Jan 10, 2023
Okay maybe for your dream sha.. my employer once threatened to sue me because i opened the same business as his, few kilometers away. He ended up accepting fate, because case no dey that one. In as much as I never signed any written agreement. LOL.. Till now the mfckers are still loosing they decided to uppercut the market price but all was to no avail.. i sell almost all there market and i think very soon they would soon Close up, don't see me as a bad person oo.. because they Screw me hard and i decided to Screw them up completely..

1 Like

Re: An Employer Can Sue An Employee Or Former Employee In Nigeria. by histemple: 3:20pm On Jan 10, 2023
Paragon311:
It is a vice versa things.

There is provision for both in the constitution....

Which constitution?

It's the Labour Law, not constitution?
Re: An Employer Can Sue An Employee Or Former Employee In Nigeria. by free2ryhme: 3:22pm On Jan 10, 2023
Allisgud:
Contact a lawyer conversant with employment contract.

2 Likes

Re: An Employer Can Sue An Employee Or Former Employee In Nigeria. by davodyguy: 3:35pm On Jan 10, 2023
boldking:

I doubt if all is well with you.
Re: An Employer Can Sue An Employee Or Former Employee In Nigeria. by dfrost: 3:43pm On Jan 10, 2023
Yes, yes and yes.
Re: An Employer Can Sue An Employee Or Former Employee In Nigeria. by oluwaseyi0: 4:27pm On Jan 10, 2023
Employer rarely sue employee because they've already almost suck life out of employee during course of engagement

Thread still on first page after 4 hours of front page, let it be irrelevance like bbn, Messi vs Ronaldo, yansh, sexx

Page will full in no time

1 Like

Re: An Employer Can Sue An Employee Or Former Employee In Nigeria. by oluwaseyi0: 4:29pm On Jan 10, 2023
boldking:

You are even more incoherent than Tinubu

What did they ask what are you saying
Re: An Employer Can Sue An Employee Or Former Employee In Nigeria. by Allisgud: 4:52pm On Jan 10, 2023
enonche85:

me i submitted mine and they are still yet to remit it. I want to report them to PENCOM
how does pencom work,is it free consultation

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Internship/I.T Placements At Baker Hughes In Port Harcourt / Career Opportunity With AIICO Insurance Plc / Opinion: Why Unemployment Is A Choice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.