Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,472 members, 7,823,099 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:34 AM

An Employer Can Sue An Employee Or Former Employee In Nigeria. - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / An Employer Can Sue An Employee Or Former Employee In Nigeria. (11229 Views)

How An Employer Sacked A Job Seeker Immediately After Giving Him A 250K Job / An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? / Doctor Shares Experience With An Employer In Abuja, rejects N70K salary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: An Employer Can Sue An Employee Or Former Employee In Nigeria. by Allisgud: 4:54pm On Jan 10, 2023
Kobicove:

I hope the amount in question is worth the cost of the court action grin
that's the issue wink
Re: An Employer Can Sue An Employee Or Former Employee In Nigeria. by IamOrei(m): 5:04pm On Jan 10, 2023
far back in 2008, i got my employer arrested

employees have right, people just don't know
Re: An Employer Can Sue An Employee Or Former Employee In Nigeria. by IyaTola: 6:00pm On Jan 10, 2023
Allisgud:
I need help oh,I want to sue my former company for failure to remit my pension to the pension company,because I didn't submit my RSA on time
Report to PENCOM
Re: An Employer Can Sue An Employee Or Former Employee In Nigeria. by IyaTola: 6:02pm On Jan 10, 2023
taxiappguy:
My question is what are the costs and time period to the employer? Is there a particular court that handles these?
Yes, industrial court
Re: An Employer Can Sue An Employee Or Former Employee In Nigeria. by IyaTola: 6:06pm On Jan 10, 2023
Allisgud:
how does pencom work,is it free consultation
Write a letter to head surveillance department if you are in Lagos 88A Oduduwa crescent Ikeja GRA, Lagos. They paid every dime they owed me
Re: An Employer Can Sue An Employee Or Former Employee In Nigeria. by IyaTola: 6:28pm On Jan 10, 2023
The #1 mistake I used to make in job interviews…
�� Thinking the interview is a one-way process.

It's your job to VET your employer too.

� Do their values align with yours?
� Do they offer arrangements that suit your needs?
� ​​Is their culture something you want to be a part of?
� ​​Are they inclusive and supportive of employees?
� What type of career progression can they offer?
� How do they invest in employees' development?

These are ALL valid questions.

But most candidates forget to get the answers.

The result? They end up in a job they hate ��

It gets worse...

I know lots of people who have stayed in a job just 'to stick it out' for a year or two - so it doesn't look bad on their CV! �

What a waste of time.

An employer will decide if you are right for them.

Make sure you decide if THEY are right for YOU! �
Re: An Employer Can Sue An Employee Or Former Employee In Nigeria. by IyaTola: 6:28pm On Jan 10, 2023
I cannot take up that job, N150,000 monthly salary is too small!

Last year, a fresh graduate rejected the job I got him

I asked him to take the job for 6 months so that he can gather experience for his next job, but he didn't listen

He is still at home trusting God

I have had to advise a lot of graduates and professionals regarding whether to take up a role where the salary is small.

Some think the salary is belittling and not up to their worth.

I have also seen a lot of people on social media advising graduates not to settle for less which I disagree.

Your decision depends on whether you have a job at hand or not.

I believe it's better to accept a job with low salary than sitting at home to do nothing.

Once the salary can cater for your feeding and transport, you are fine.

No experience is a waste and no matter how bad a job is, you will learn something even if it is tolerance and perseverance.

You have an experience to point to.

You can't ask for a lion share (Salary) with a fish brain (no experience)

At the earliest days of my career,

I was living in Mowe -Ibafo axis, Arepo to be precise, working at Yaba and the salary was small,

I do wake up as early as 4:30am to enjoy cheap transport to Ojota

And BRT to Yaba were cheaper compared to 14 seater Bus.

Then, I do take standing in the BRT bus because it is cheaper than taking a seat

Infact standing was my hobby ��

I will get to the office 6am and wait till 8am when other staff will resume.

The pay was small, I worked as late as 8pm but the experience was BIG and worth it.

Later, I joined another company with double salary.

The rest is history today,

If you are in doubt of taking a job because of the pay, accept the offer,

Give your best, learn as much as you can, don't get carried away and keep your eye on your goal.

Remember, if you are too big to do small things, you will be too small to do big things

Do you agree?

2 Likes

Re: An Employer Can Sue An Employee Or Former Employee In Nigeria. by IyaTola: 6:36pm On Jan 10, 2023
What's the biggest concern employees have for 2023?

The survey results are in...

→ Financial wellbeing
60% of employees are worried about this.

→ Work-life balance
37% of employees are worried about this.

→ Debt/mortgage interest rate rises
33% of employees are worried about this.

How do employers support their teams?

If they’re able to… pay them properly for their time and efforts ����

35% of surveyed employees have yet to receive any cost of living support from an employer this year.

I don’t think that’s good enough. Or maybe I’m thinking wrong? �‍♂️
Re: An Employer Can Sue An Employee Or Former Employee In Nigeria. by dapadawee: 6:50pm On Jan 10, 2023
Rubyjade:
An employer can sue an employee or former employee in Nigeria.

Instituting an action in court is not special or divine rights of employees or former employees.

The employer can sue an employee or former employee for the same rights and reasons an employee or former employee can sue an employer.

Sidmach Technologies Nigeria Limited vs. Onuorah Chinwe, is an example of a case where the employer sued a former employee, Onurah Chinwe

In the case, it showed that

1. an employer can sue a former employee. where the former employer acts contrary to the provision of the contract of employment.

2. where a former employee fragrantly acted outside the ambit of her right under the law.

3. an employer can sue to ask the court to affirm the actions i.e voluntary resignation of a former employee.

4. an employer can sue a former employee to stop a former employee from parading herself as a staff or employee.

5. an employer can sue to recover properties if the former employee keeps holding on to the employer's properties. i.e Car, Laptop, Identity Card, Company issued Mobile Phone etc

6. an employer can sue where a former employee is asking for more than what such former employee is entitled to as disengagement entitlements, or engaging in acts that would cause harm to the employer in making her demands. etc

7. an employer can sue former employees for harms caused or debts owned the employer or for acts or actions of the former employee upon resignation that would cause harm to the employer.

Infact in that case, the court granted all the employer's prayers and awarded costs and damages against the employee.

Happy New Year and have great week.
All those industrial court mad wella o
Unfortunately most employees no sabi their right.

2 Likes

Re: An Employer Can Sue An Employee Or Former Employee In Nigeria. by naijapikin2(m): 9:15pm On Jan 10, 2023
Ok thanks for the heads up

1 Like

Re: An Employer Can Sue An Employee Or Former Employee In Nigeria. by IyaTola: 9:45pm On Jan 10, 2023
wink
naijapikin2:
Ok thanks for the heads up
Re: An Employer Can Sue An Employee Or Former Employee In Nigeria. by enonche85(m): 10:33am On Jan 11, 2023
Allisgud:
how does pencom work,is it free consultation

pencom is the govt body that regulates workers pension both under private or govt sector and it's free to consult them.

2 Likes

Re: An Employer Can Sue An Employee Or Former Employee In Nigeria. by justlovesfarmin: 12:09pm On Jan 11, 2023
I wish more employers will sue employee in Nigeria to curb the ineptitude of most employees.

Most people don’t sue because of how much money they will spend. They think it is not worthwhile. But when most employers sue, it is for the long-term good of industries and service delivery in this Country.
We won’t rise until people are dutiful and diligent, very rare qualities to come by these days.
I hope people will see reason.

1 Like

Re: An Employer Can Sue An Employee Or Former Employee In Nigeria. by Rubyjade: 6:20pm On Jan 11, 2023
dapadawee:

All those industrial court mad wella o
Unfortunately most employees no sabi their right.
Share your experience

(1) (2) (Reply)

Covenant University Job Recruitment (5 Positions) / Has Anyone Been Able To Collect FJSC Forms? / How To Act During Job Interview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.