Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,423 members, 7,822,959 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:24 PM

Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk - Islam for Muslims (68) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk (165746 Views)

Muslim Singles: Why Are You Not Married? / Advice To Muslim Singles / Muslim Singles Matching Service (MSMS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) ... (223) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by tbaba1234s: 11:11am On Aug 29, 2012
Bowing is Haram guys. don't get it twisted... The prophet forbade it...

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

With regard to bowing when greeting someone, it is forbidden as is narrated in al-Tirmidhi from the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him); they asked him about a man who meets his brother, can he bow to him? He said: “No.” And it is not permissible to bow or prostrate to anyone except Allah, may He be glorified and exalted, even though that may have been a form of greeting in other religions, as in the story of Yoosuf – “…and they fell down before him prostrate. And he said: ‘O my father! This is the interpretation of my dream aforetime!’” [Yoosuf 12:100]. But in our religion it is not acceptable to bow or prostrate to anyone except Allah; in fact it is also forbidden to stand as the non-Arabs stand before one another, so how about bowing and prostrating? Similarly, a partial bow is also included in this prohibition.

End quote from Majmoo‘ al-Fataawa, 1/377

And he said:

With regard to lowering the head when meeting prominent figures such as shaykhs and so on, or kissing the ground and so on, these are things concerning which there is no difference of opinion among the imams that they are forbidden. In fact merely inclining the back to anyone other than Allah, may He be glorified and exalted, is forbidden. In al-Musnad and elsewhere it is narrated that when Mu‘aadh ibn Jabal came back from Syria, he prostrated to the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him), who said: “What is this, O Mu‘aadh?” He said: O Messenger of Allah, I saw them in Syria prostrating to their bishops and patriarchs, and they narrated that from their Prophets. He said: “They are lying, O Mu‘aadh; if I were to instruct anyone to prostrate to anyone else, I would have instructed a woman to prostrate to her husband because of the greatness of his rights over her. O Mu‘aadh, do you think that if you were to pass my grave you would prostrate?” He said: No. He said: “Do not do that,” or words to that effect.

http://islamqa.com/en/ref/164865/bow
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by maclatunji: 11:13am On Aug 29, 2012
tbaba1234$:
Mac, My short posts are getting hidden

You posted links that the spam bot thinks are spam (well, they look like that to it). grin
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by Wizeboy(m): 11:15am On Aug 29, 2012
I guess is tbaba posts that are been hidden.... Moderator Maclatunji try to do something about it please, we are really getting enlighten here.

Maa Salam
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by maclatunji: 11:18am On Aug 29, 2012
Tbaba should stop posting from islamqa because the spam bot sees the website as spam. He may try http://www. in front of it. That might just change spambots mind.

I have unhidden his posts.You can now go back to view them.
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by Wizeboy(m): 11:22am On Aug 29, 2012
tbaba1234$:
Bowing is Haram guys. don't get it twisted... The prophet forbade it...

Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

With regard to bowing when greeting someone, it is forbidden as is narrated in al-Tirmidhi from the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him); they asked him about a man who meets his brother, can he bow to him? He said: “No.” And it is not permissible to bow or prostrate to anyone except Allah, may He be glorified and exalted, even though that may have been a form of greeting in other religions, as in the story of Yoosuf – “…and they fell down before him prostrate. And he said: ‘O my father! This is the interpretation of my dream aforetime!’” [Yoosuf 12:100]. But in our religion it is not acceptable to bow or prostrate to anyone except Allah; in fact it is also forbidden to stand as the non-Arabs stand before one another, so how about bowing and prostrating? Similarly, a partial bow is also included in this prohibition.

End quote from Majmoo‘ al-Fataawa, 1/377

And he said:

With regard to lowering the head when meeting prominent figures such as shaykhs and so on, or kissing the ground and so on, these are things concerning which there is no difference of opinion among the imams that they are forbidden. In fact merely inclining the back to anyone other than Allah, may He be glorified and exalted, is forbidden. In al-Musnad and elsewhere it is narrated that when Mu‘aadh ibn Jabal came back from Syria, he prostrated to the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him), who said: “What is this, O Mu‘aadh?” He said: O Messenger of Allah, I saw them in Syria prostrating to their bishops and patriarchs, and they narrated that from their Prophets. He said: “They are lying, O Mu‘aadh; if I were to instruct anyone to prostrate to anyone else, I would have instructed a woman to prostrate to her husband because of the greatness of his rights over her. O Mu‘aadh, do you think that if you were to pass my grave you would prostrate?” He said: No. He said: “Do not do that,” or words to that effect.

http://islamqa.com/en/ref/164865/bow

In the book ‘Al Adab Al Kubra’ (Elevated Manners), Abu Al-Ma`ali said that bowing as a form of showing mutual respect is permissible. Other people draw analogy between it and the Angels' bowing before Adam, peace be upon him. Also when Ibn `Umar went to the Levant, the People of the Book there bowed to him as a matter of respect, and he did not forbid them from doing so. Instead he said that it was a form of dignifying Muslims.

“Permissibility here means that it is not prohibited. But this does not negate its being blameworthy”, states As-Safarini in his book ‘Ghiza’ul-Albab’ (Cultivation of the Mind), vo.1:286.

From the above mentioned Hadith we understand that bowing to greet someone is somewhat detestable, that we can say it is blameworthy, because it is unfit for a Muslim who truly believes in Allah and abides by His teachings.

However, this Hukm (ruling) depends on the intention of the person himself. For example, if the bows are made just to show gratefulness to a person who deserves them, then there is nothing wrong in this. But there shouldn't be any exaggeration. Bowing is also a method of showing courtesy to kings and sultans. All in all, when an actor takes his bow, he does not usually intend anything else than acknowledging applause and admiration accorded him by the audience. This makes the ruling somehow light for him.”

http://www.onislam.net/english/ask-the-scholar/morals-and-manners/customs-and-traditions/175485.html?Traditions=

1 Like

Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by maclatunji: 11:30am On Aug 29, 2012
The spam bot doesn't like you guys copying, posting or quoting stuff from Islamqa. Someone must have been posting links excessively from the site until it got tagged as spam.
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by temmy2011(m): 11:36am On Aug 29, 2012
maclatunji: The spam bot doesn't like you guys copying, posting or quoting stuff from Islamqa. Someone must have been posting links excessively from the site until it got tagged as spam.
Mac, my account has been ban, what could be the problem?

this is Wizeboy cool cool
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by maclatunji: 11:48am On Aug 29, 2012
temmy2011: Mac, my account has been ban, what could be the problem?

this is Wizeboy cool cool

You quoted a link from tbaba that the spambot doesn't like. grin

Your ban should be over in an hour, same for tbaba like 60minutes-20minutes (already).
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by tbaba1235: 11:50am On Aug 29, 2012
Wizeboy:

In the book ‘Al Adab Al Kubra’ (Elevated Manners), Abu Al-Ma`ali said that bowing as a form of showing mutual respect is permissible. Other people draw analogy between it and the Angels' bowing before Adam, peace be upon him. Also when Ibn `Umar went to the Levant, the People of the Book there bowed to him as a matter of respect, and he did not forbid them from doing so. Instead he said that it was a form of dignifying Muslims.

“Permissibility here means that it is not prohibited. But this does not negate its being blameworthy”, states As-Safarini in his book ‘Ghiza’ul-Albab’ (Cultivation of the Mind), vo.1:286.

From the above mentioned Hadith we understand that bowing to greet someone is somewhat detestable, that we can say it is blameworthy, because it is unfit for a Muslim who truly believes in Allah and abides by His teachings.

However, this Hukm (ruling) depends on the intention of the person himself. For example, if the bows are made just to show gratefulness to a person who deserves them, then there is nothing wrong in this. But there shouldn't be any exaggeration. Bowing is also a method of showing courtesy to kings and sultans. All in all, when an actor takes his bow, he does not usually intend anything else than acknowledging applause and admiration accorded him by the audience. This makes the ruling somehow light for him.”

http://www.onislam.net/english/ask-the-scholar/morals-and-manners/customs-and-traditions/175485.html?Traditions=

I gave you two hadith of the prophet that forbade bowing even as a sign of respect... You give me a hadith of ibn Umar (Is that the son of Umar ibn khattab)...

Which of the two is stronger?

The stronger opinion is that with the stronger evidence....

If bowing is a sign of respect to kings, why did the prophet forbid his followers from bowing to him? He was essentially the leader of Medina...
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by maclatunji: 11:50am On Aug 29, 2012
Just don't copy, post or quote the links from Islamqa and you should be fine.
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by maclatunji: 11:51am On Aug 29, 2012
tbaba_1234:

I gave you two hadith of the prophet that forbade bowing... You give me a hadith of ibn Umar (Is that the son of Umar ibn khattab)...

Which of the two is stronger?

I just knew you were going to say this. cheesy
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by tbaba1235: 11:56am On Aug 29, 2012
maclatunji:

I just knew you were going to say this. cheesy

We should not twist Islam to try and fit it to our traditions, There is no reputable Islamic scholar that would say bowing to anyone other than Allah is permissible...

Even in the evidence He presented, Ibn Umar does not bow to anyone, rather it is the people of the book that bow....
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by tbaba1235: 12:09pm On Aug 29, 2012
You need to first of all, try to be more closer to the parent. Greet them more often, relate with them and let them see you as a good people they can relate with. After this, you can now start giving them some observation/opinion on how the problem can be fixed (you should not do this at the time when they are angry with their children but rather when you see them happy and also have time for discussion). I believe with the level of maturity and high-knowledge you show on this thread, you can really talk to them without misinterpreting it.

The parents older than you should not be an obstacle for your advice but try to comport yourself with the way and manner which they will also appreciate without blaming them on the way and manner their children were brought up. Despite the fact that I am still a small guy, I have try to resolved a family problem before, which surprisingly work out. So, if I can do it with my little knowledge, I believe you (USTAZ) can surely do it.

Bros, First of all, I am no Ustaz... Call me by my user name or just brother..

I have been able to get through to the boy to an extent but not his sister.. Part of that is that, she is usually the quiet kid.... The boy gets into trouble all the time but he is a good kid. The sister is ususally the 'good kid' until she loses it and starts insulting everybody..
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by tbaba1235: 12:16pm On Aug 29, 2012
^Also I am just a kid in relation to the parents so id rather stay off their marital issues because they still seem to understand (& love) each other in spite of the chaos...
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by olawalebabs(m): 1:32pm On Aug 29, 2012
is Tbaba 1234 the same as Tbaba1234$?
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by tbaba1234: 1:34pm On Aug 29, 2012
olawalebabs: is Tbaba 1234 the same as Tbaba1234$?

hehe yes... Tbaba1234 is the default until spambot does something
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by busar(m): 7:28pm On Aug 29, 2012
Something similar 2 this(prostration) happend 2 a bro durin hs nikah ceremony.wen d sista's mother insisted dat d bro. must prostrate,d bro said that he z no longer interestd in d marriage again.When d rest of d family heard dis,they told d mother nt 2 spoil d tin dat av bin goin on smoothly wit her prostratin stuff.
We must let people knw d kind of muslim we are,we shouldn't cmprmise our religion in any situation. Prostratn,bowin etc r 4biden in islam by d prophet(saw).
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by Mustay(m): 10:09pm On Aug 29, 2012
How many of you are martial artists here? Well, I'd not wanna digress the thread from its sole purpose but this is one reason why iLike schools of thoughts. Some of the issues we have today is interpretation of cetain practices and how some schools try to equate it with bid'ah or haraam or whatever. Anyway, culture is the way of life of some people. Your intentions are best known.

Peace
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by Mustay(m): 10:13pm On Aug 29, 2012
btw,

"If I were to command anyone to prostrate before anyone I would command the wife to prostrate before the husband" (pbuh)
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by tbaba1234: 10:15pm On Aug 29, 2012
^ There is no difference in the schools of thought regarding bowing to any other besides Allah..

People's attachments to cultural practices is one of the major problems faced by the Ummah today, Islam comes first... Any cultural practice that is unislamic is null and void... We maintain the aspects of our culture that does not conflict with Islam.

@ Mustay

Why did you quote that?
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by maclatunji: 11:16pm On Aug 29, 2012
Mustay: How many of you are martial artists here? Well, I'd not wanna digress the thread from its sole purpose but this is one reason why iLike schools of thoughts. Some of the issues we have today is interpretation of cetain practices and how some schools try to equate it with bid'ah or haraam or whatever. Anyway, culture is the way of life of some people. Your intentions are best known.

Peace

Some people are so foolish with the prostration stuff. They think it actually adds value to them.What is the use of a young man who prostrates to you and then starts to maltreat your daughter from the very first night of the marriage? Please some things just smack of stupidity and backwardness.

Respect for your wife's parents and family is important but it shouldn't be reduced to prostration. People need to let go of vanity and useless pride.
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by maclatunji: 11:19pm On Aug 29, 2012
Mustay: How many of you are martial artists here? Well, I'd not wanna digress the thread from its sole purpose but this is one reason why iLike schools of thoughts. Some of the issues we have today is interpretation of cetain practices and how some schools try to equate it with bid'ah or haraam or whatever. Anyway, culture is the way of life of some people. Your intentions are best known.

Peace

So as not to digress, just quote from your own school of thought on the matter. Let us compare notes.
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by Mustay(m): 5:18am On Aug 30, 2012
Shaikh Salim in this lecture provides the listener with 99 qualities a Muslim husband would like in his wife, starting with loving her to be a good slave of Allah who loves Allah and His Rasul, down to tips on how she can refine her character, home and appearance. Each point given with supporting evidence makes this lecture a beautiful reminder for any sincere wife looking to please her husband. The Shaikh also highlights common misunderstandings that often occur between husband and wife. At times the lecture is quite explicit, hence, we recommend this talk only for those who are married or seeking to get married.

http://www.kalamullah.com/99-qualities.html
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by Mustay(m): 5:42am On Aug 30, 2012
@mac, iThink this 'll do.times

http://www.cifiaonline.com/conceptofprostration.htm

'Unity of the Muslim Ummah' was what I was watching just now and the Aussie Sheikh disclosed our some brothers have classified eating eggs as haraam 'cos the cock and hen are unmarried. cheesy #maggi
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by maclatunji: 7:06am On Aug 30, 2012
^In all honesty, I think your source backs tbaba's position.
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by tbaba1234: 10:30am On Aug 30, 2012
@Mustay, The link agrees with everything i said... Bowing as a greeting is forbidden...

Sajda-e-Tahiyya is a kind of greeting. In earlier times, when a person used to meet a dignitary, he used to prostrate in front of him. Sajda-e-Tahiyya has never been an act of Shirk. Angels prostrating to Adam ( علیھ السلا م ) and brothers of Youssef ( علیھ السلا م ) prostrating in front of him are the examples of Sajda-e-Tahiyya. Since Prophet Mohammad (صلى الله عليه و آله وسلم) stopped people from doing Sajda-e-Tahiyya, it is forbidden in Islam. Now, if a Muslim greets a dignitary with Sajda-e-Tahiyya, it will be treated as sin.
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by tbaba1234: 10:36am On Aug 30, 2012
It even gives more evidences:

It is in Hadith - Narrated Anas (رضئ اللہ تعالی عنہ). "A camel came and prostrated in front of the Prophet (صلى الله عليه و آله وسلم). A goat came and prostrated in front of him. (Looking at this) Abu Bakr Siddique (رضئ اللہ تعالی عنہ) and other companions also sought permission to prostrate (in front of him). But the Prophet (صلى الله عليه و آله وسلم) said, ‘It is not appropriate for a human being to prostrate in front of another human being’. (Ahmad, al-Bazzar).
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by maclatunji: 11:50am On Aug 30, 2012
^That is why we should be ready to communicate freely and openly. It brings out truths that we can all recognise, even if not all of us are willing to accept it.

1 Like

Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by sino(m): 10:21pm On Aug 30, 2012
tbaba1234: Three Issues, I don't know if they have been addressed already...

i. Traditional practices in Marriages ,

I am not a yoruba person but i do see myself possibly getting married to one. During their traditional weddings, I see the men have to lie down flat with their heads on the ground...

Personally, I can not put my head on the floor for any man because that is only reserved for Allah... It is Islamically wrong as well.. Ca one get out of this kind of tradition without being seen as rude or disrespectful.
Yorubas and owambes...two inseparable partners lol
There are only few yoruba families that will do away with the traditional part of marriage, to most yorubas, your marriage is incomplete without it. The major tradition in the marriage is the introduction (mo mi mo e), engagement is a foreign thing. Actually there shouldn't be anything wrong with it, just a normal gathering of both families with the aim of knowing each other which also entails the exchange of gifts. The problem lies with the items requested and then the commercialization of the spokesperson from both families(Alaga Iduro/ijoko). Items such as kolanut, catfish, aligator pepper have been traced to items requested by idols...Just as maclatunji said, let the family know (most preferably through your bride or their alfas) that these things are not Islamic.
The issue of prostration should also go through the same channel, in fact, most people subscribe to the squatting to show a form of respect for the prophet says "He is not one of us one who doesn't show respect to the elders..." and if they insist, well its just a day, its outta necessity(you go marry your wife na abi?)
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by Mustay(m): 12:12am On Aug 31, 2012
This came in handy as regards our preferences -

"A believing man should not have any malice against a believing woman. He may dislike one character in her, but may find another in her which is pleasing". (Muslim, 3633)

1 Like

Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by usermane(m): 5:44pm On Aug 31, 2012
Well my turn. Am a tall guy 20yrs, and still an undergraduate.
Being a shy loner evr since, i want a girl who is beautiful,confident and smart that can relate with me or understand that am not so mean/snobbish as people take me for and i respect ladies a lot. A girl that is kind,gentle,cool tempered,generous,humble and caring with fine sense of humour. She has to be religious minded not religion obscessed,age difference +/- 2 and she should be able to cope with my shyness,though am not extremely shy.
I dont focus much on beauty, just an average look of 6/10 is ok by me and a good height. These are just some of the qualities i pray to find in my future wife and work hard to imbibe in my character cos i believe whatevr quality u desire in a spouse, u should strive to achieve it too. For instance if u want an understanding spouse then u have to be understanding 2 as an understanding spouse cant cope with a non understanding one, u cant expect a generous\listening\comforting spouse when u r self centered/non listening/non comforting. I believe in emotional love very much and sex and children should be secondary reasons for marriage. I want someone with strong moral belief,relatable and down to earth
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by sino(m): 10:56pm On Aug 31, 2012
usermane: Well my turn. Am a tall guy 20yrs, and still an undergraduate.
Being a shy loner evr since, i want a girl who is beautiful,confident and smart that can relate with me or understand that am not so mean/snobbish as people take me for and i respect ladies a lot. A girl that is kind,gentle,cool tempered,generous,humble and caring with fine sense of humour. She has to be religious minded not religion obscessed,age difference +/- 2 and she should be able to cope with my shyness,though am not extremely shy.
I dont focus much on beauty, just an average look of 6/10 is ok by me and a good height. These are just some of the qualities i pray to find in my future wife and work hard to imbibe in my character cos i believe whatevr quality u desire in a spouse, u should strive to achieve it too. For instance if u want an understanding spouse then u have to be understanding 2 as an understanding spouse cant cope with a non understanding one, u cant expect a generous\listening\comforting spouse when u r self centered/non listening/non comforting. I believe in emotional love very much and sex and children should be secondary reasons for marriage. I want someone with strong moral belief,relatable and down to earth
Hmmm, i have a feeling you'll make such a good husband insAllah. I pray when the time comes, Allah blesses you with a compertible partner amin.
You need to work on your being percieved as snubbish and mean, and the best way is by spreading the salam with a smiling face...its sadaqah(hadith) .
Shyness has been discussed on here, its got its good and bad, most important thing is be confident in yourself.
I want to agree with you on d bolded, its really nice to see a young man thinking in such direction...putting it in another way; "be the best man for the woman of your dreams".
NB: You know you aint too young to get married ehn? You fit do am first before all dem dis big bros wey dey hia o lol
I wish you the best in your academics.

(1) (2) (3) ... (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) ... (223) (Reply)

Our Condolence Message To Lagosboy / Islamic Names And Their Meanings / The Names Of 7 Gates To Jahannam And 8 Gates To Jannah.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.