Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,208 members, 7,822,074 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:39 AM

Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk - Islam for Muslims (71) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk (165702 Views)

Muslim Singles: Why Are You Not Married? / Advice To Muslim Singles / Muslim Singles Matching Service (MSMS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) ... (223) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by maclatunji: 4:40pm On Sep 20, 2012
olawalebabs:
Thank, Let me also give you another example of yoruba owambe wastage, When i was in school in ilorin, we work on a term paper, we discover that some housewives who are unemployed (contributes nothing to the economy)spend money that is enough to start a small scale business on "Aso ebi". can you imagine that.

I don't need to imagine, I know it's a fact from observation.
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by Nobody: 5:30pm On Sep 20, 2012
maclatunji:

Yorubas tend to waste more money on the actual wedding ceremony itself.
Of course. The Yorubas are well known for their love of partying.
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by sino(m): 6:42pm On Sep 20, 2012
fellis:
LWKMD. grin
what of the mother's school fees na?
Is it the "fees" that is cracking you up? Lol

True, there is the mother's acceptance fee too, its always mentioned and collected with that of the father.
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by sino(m): 6:47pm On Sep 20, 2012
olawalebabs:
Thank, Let me also give you another example of yoruba owambe wastage, When i was in school in ilorin, we work on a term paper, we discover that some housewives who are unemployed (contributes nothing to the economy)spend money that is enough to start a small scale business on "Aso ebi". can you imagine that.
The most annoying thing is that, they do know that the price is inflated, but they wouldnt care, they would go at any lenght to purchase the cloth so as not to be overshadowed...smh
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by Nobody: 7:18pm On Sep 20, 2012
olawalebabs:
housewives who are unemployed (contributes nothing to the economy)spend money that is enough to start a small scale business on "Aso ebi". can you imagine that.
Lol, I didn't even see that part before. grin
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by deols(f): 8:17pm On Sep 20, 2012
WHat exactly is wrong about these things? Are they entirely wrong? We should be careful with the use of the word, waste.

lemme start with the Northern weddings
. I know from socializing with Northerners what the gifts to the bride can be. But I don't think a list is made like someone said. it is the groom/his family that brings what they have for the bride and how rich they are determines how much things they send to the bride's family. Even the Qur'an talks about giving their mahr to them according to what is obtained by women of their class . Well, this is their culture and while I know some people are campaigning against it because people who may not be able to afford to buy these things would probably not marry, etc, it is not an entirely bad idea. She's after all finally bringing those things to his house.

Yoruba method
. Actually, the Yoruba bride is almost the 'cheapest'. All the omoile, iyawo ile monies are not much and people do these things just to add some cultural feel to the wedding. TO me, they don't amount to money wasting. The party is the major thing and I think that is encouraged by the prophet(walimatun Nikkah) or no be so? he said even if with a sheep? If people come from far and near to witness your day, you would want to treat them well.

Scraping the aso ebi part might be a good idea sha. But would I want one at my wedding? oh yes!!!!!!!
the 70k lace which you wont be able to wear to another party because everyone knows you wore it to the previous one can truly be called a money waster.
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by busar(m): 9:14pm On Sep 20, 2012
maclatunji:

LOL. I told you you're becoming an Americana. Yes, we know about Mahr but guy: This na Naija (youwhaamsayin), even if you don't have 1 kobo, some of these things have to be done.

tbaba! tbaba!! tbaba!!! Should you decide to have your wedding in Nigeria, I think you're going to be fun to watch!

#LOL
mac,no kill me wit laf o..
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by Nobody: 10:14pm On Sep 20, 2012
deols: Even the Qur'an talks about giving their mahr to them according to what is obtained by women of their class
Really? What verse of the Quran is that?
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by Sweetnecta: 1:16pm On Sep 21, 2012
i dont think every aspect of culture is bad. some aspects of culture fit into Islamic culture because it is good and not against Islam. Every act that is not act of worship is permissible unless forbidden, and every act that is act of worship is forbidden unless permissible.

Aso ebi is not bad if it is affordable and covers what should be concealed. Mahr is according to agreement of spouses, primarily and just that. A medical doctor should not be asking for Mansion and Bugatti and Hermin Birkins from a poor doctor, but from wealthy spouse who can afford it.

The "miusik, dansi", and unnecessary singing and praising of person are to be thrown out. What is Islam is clear and what is not and doubtful should be avoided. The yorubas like all other cultures, including the arabs are just as guilty.

But whose marriage is next among you guys or are we just going to talk one another out? [b][/b]
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by maclatunji: 1:19pm On Sep 21, 2012
^Mine is not coming soon, I guess. #LOL.
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by tbaba1234: 5:02am On Sep 22, 2012

6 Likes

Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by sino(m): 5:18am On Sep 22, 2012
^I like this so much,i read about the ayah in your thread(come o, why havnt you updated it na)...

Does the line"a thausand needles in my eyes" represent the fitna of what is abound in terms of women?

A blog? Why not a thread on here so everyone can take part in it, especially those that like poetry?

"would you be the coolness of my eyes?"
Hmmm, i wish i was a sister ogrin
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by tbaba1234: 5:36am On Sep 22, 2012
Lazy plus i am trying to study the whole Quran before year end.... Currently in Surah Rad... Incredible so far!

The thousand needles could refer to problems and struggles outside the home....

maybe .
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by Nobody: 6:02am On Sep 22, 2012
tbaba1234:

Title :The Coolness of my eyes

The sun had painted the desert dunes after days of traveling

Sweltering heat, tired bones and limbs hurting

Then it began, the reins of the winds were let loose

Sand hurled in every direction as it charged forward like a wild horse on the loose

Covered face, battered eyes and excruciating pain, stricken by fear and anxiety

A thousand needles in my eyes, but they had to stay open for me to find safety

And there it was, from the corner of my eyes

A cave at the foot of the mountain sides

Finally my refuge, the coolness of my eyes, i found peace

The sight of which had made me shed tears of joy

Life itself is a raging storm

And i seek a refuge that’s nice and warm

The coolness of my eyes

The one place in the world that I will find peace

The one at whose glimpse, I shed tears of joy

So the question is this

Would you be the coolness of my eyes?

My one source of peace and joy

(Poem is written based on an ayah of the Quran: those who pray, ‘Our Master, Grant unto us spouse and offspring who will be the coolness of our eyes" (Surah 25:74)

What are my eyes seeing?
Tbaba so you can get funky like this? shocked shocked shocked
You people on this section keep surprising me more and more everyday.
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by Nobody: 6:02am On Sep 22, 2012
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by tbaba1234: 6:06am On Sep 22, 2012
fellis:

What are my eyes seeing?
Tbaba so you can get funky like this? shocked shocked shocked
You people on this section keep surprising me more and more everyday.

It is not supposed to be 'funky' o!
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by Nobody: 6:10am On Sep 22, 2012
Ok. What is it supposed to be?
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by tbaba1234: 6:12am On Sep 22, 2012
It's a proposal for marriage....
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by Nobody: 6:14am On Sep 22, 2012
I see. . . . .
I used to think you were an old married man.
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by tbaba1234: 6:21am On Sep 22, 2012
fellis: I see. . . . .
I used to think you were an old married man.

hehe... na wa o!! Second time...

I am not married o, late 20s...
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by Nobody: 7:44am On Sep 22, 2012
By the way tbaba, your poem was nice, good job. I was too busy being shocked to comment on it before.
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by maclatunji: 8:03am On Sep 22, 2012
tbaba, nice poem. Visit Literature section more, it should help you and others too. I don't think your poem is funky at all, it has tbaba written all over it. Not bad, but I don't think it will sweep most girls off their feet which I don't think is what you're trying to do anyway.

Instead of "would you be the coolness of my eyes?" How about "would you be the spark that ignites my life?" That reads awful doesn't it? Just joking this early morning.

If you want to start a blog, please do so. I have mine, more than one sef. So, I encourage you to start yours too. You can always share your blog posts here too.
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by sino(m): 8:46am On Sep 22, 2012
tbaba1234: Lazy plus i am trying to study the whole Quran before year end.... Currently in Surah Rad... Incredible so far!
Lazy ke? May Allah streghten you amin. Looking forward to your subsequent post(make i dey bug u so u no go dey lazy ogrin, cos many people dey learn o).
tbaba1234:
The thousand needles could refer to problems and struggles outside the home....

maybe .

Oh i see, suits so well...

And just like mac suggested, you can create a blog and shear here. Me just dont follow blogs like that sha.
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by Iliveon: 9:36am On Sep 23, 2012
deols:
My mum was a primary school drop-out but taught how to read and assist us with our home-work from school until we left secondary school.Buh,it will be difficult understand each other except you are archiac kind of person.
dats somthn really.

dat mishap must av bn somthn ooo. nyways, its prolly 4 d best
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by snubish: 6:21pm On Sep 23, 2012
nice poem, tbaba. I swear I can relate, and I,m sure these things go through the mind of every young man about to "take the plunge".
I wonder what sort of poems our sisters would write when in a similar situation. any volunteers?

I think poetry is lost on most Naija ladies though. so I guess it's rather harmless not to be skilled at it.
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by maclatunji: 7:50pm On Sep 23, 2012
snubish: nice poem, tbaba. I swear I can relate, and I,m sure these things go through the mind of every young man about to "take the plunge".
I wonder what sort of poems our sisters would write when in a similar situation. any volunteers?

I think poetry is lost on most Naija ladies though. so I guess it's rather harmless not to be skilled at it.

Wow! That's some comment!
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by snubish: 9:44pm On Sep 24, 2012
ah mac, se you want to put me in trouble ni. wen NL sisters start to tackle mi, don't go and hide o.
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by maclatunji: 11:34pm On Sep 24, 2012
snubish: ah mac, se you want to put me in trouble ni. wen NL sisters start to tackle mi, don't go and hide o.

We will all still be united at the end. If Islam doesn't unite us, we should start reconsidering how much we understand our religion.

Tell me, is that comment based on any personal experience(s)? Care to share?

I know, I know. Individuals may be different but this doesn't remove trends, I am hoping that comment wasn't made randomly, I would like to learn. Are you suggesting that if I tried to win the heart of a lady with poetry, I might be wasting my time?
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by snubish: 10:28am On Sep 25, 2012
confirm! u will be lucky to get 1 out of 10 ladies who will be able to follow you. naija no jus dey sentimental like dat.

i was just randomising o. no personal experience. me i can't write poetry to save my life or let me try:

twinKle, twinkle little star
how i wonder what you are
up above the world so high
like a diamond in the sky.......
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by maclatunji: 11:17am On Sep 25, 2012
snubish: confirm! u will be lucky to get 1 out of 10 ladies who will be able to follow you. naija no jus dey sentimental like dat.

i was just randomising o. no personal experience. me i can't write poetry to save my life or let me try:

twinKle, twinkle little star
how i wonder what you are
up above the world so high
like a diamond in the sky.......

I think I understand what you mean, it seems everybody is in hustling mode and aesthetics are not appreciated much.

Whilst you're writing (stupid?) poetry, the girl is probably calculating what her networth will be if she says yes to other suitors. #LOL.

Abeg, if I am lying or delusional let me know.

Note: I love and write poetry
Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by muteeu(m): 7:02pm On Sep 28, 2012
The Messenger of Islam said,

"Do not marry a woman for the following four reasons: Wealth, beauty, ancestry and lust. It is obligatory upon you to marry a woman on account of her religion."

In yet another tradition, the Messenger of Islam has prohibited his followers from marrying a beautiful woman from a disgraceful background.

(Bihar ul Anwar, Vol 23, Pg 54).

To get a good, modest and chaste spouse is among the good fortunes of a person according to the leaders of Islam and is also considered as one of the sources by which the religion of a person can be protected. They have conveyed this message quite often that the worship of a married person is much more significant and important before Allah than that of a bachelor or a spinster.

The Holy Prophet says:

"Among the good fortunes of a man is to have a good wife.

and we should not forget that man dream of perfect wife and lady dream of perfect man but both doent know that Allah want them to complete each other lol

Re: Muslim Singles, Let Us Have A Talk by maclatunji: 7:15pm On Sep 28, 2012
^Awwwww, sweet picture.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) ... (223) (Reply)

Our Condolence Message To Lagosboy / Islamic Names And Their Meanings / The Names Of 7 Gates To Jahannam And 8 Gates To Jannah.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.