Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,363 members, 7,822,714 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:30 PM

Password Guessing Attack: Don't Reuse Your Nairaland Password - Nairaland / General (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Password Guessing Attack: Don't Reuse Your Nairaland Password (24904 Views)

How Did You Come About Your Nairaland Moniker? / How To Change Nairaland Password / Who Is Your Nairaland Person Of The Year(2017) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Password Guessing Attack: Don't Reuse Your Nairaland Password by Nobody: 3:51pm On Jan 11, 2023
Mine was also hacked last week i use gmail to take a new password

1 Like

Re: Password Guessing Attack: Don't Reuse Your Nairaland Password by Henrinos: 4:00pm On Jan 11, 2023
Why passing the infomation now when i have been subjected to serious difficulties trying to log in into my account.
I was thinking my account was suspended or blocked.
Re: Password Guessing Attack: Don't Reuse Your Nairaland Password by Nobody: 4:00pm On Jan 11, 2023
How can we delete account?
Re: Password Guessing Attack: Don't Reuse Your Nairaland Password by Henrinos: 4:05pm On Jan 11, 2023
Olamilekxy:

Redesign of what ?
Nairaland is a blog site not social media.
blog site,no wonder,tins get as e be for nairaland forum
Re: Password Guessing Attack: Don't Reuse Your Nairaland Password by PoliteActivist: 4:09pm On Jan 11, 2023
BadEnglish:
Abeg, nairaland account no get value, na to open another one within two minutes.

A NEW account no get value and nobody trusts it, genius

3 Likes

Re: Password Guessing Attack: Don't Reuse Your Nairaland Password by meobizy(f): 4:13pm On Jan 11, 2023
For those who are affected, we may scramble your password and log you out
He finally admits how he condemned multiple of my old accounts.

If my password is stolen, better. It will make me leave finally. This forum has been nothing but a total waste of time since 2018. Also, if we are truly 2 plus million members (a ridiculously laughable claim) then I have nothing to fear. The 50 or so hackers will tire before they reach me.
Re: Password Guessing Attack: Don't Reuse Your Nairaland Password by BadEnglish(m): 4:14pm On Jan 11, 2023
PoliteActivist:

A NEW account no get value and nobody trusts it, genius
Use the old one collect money for Seun hand, Da vinci
Re: Password Guessing Attack: Don't Reuse Your Nairaland Password by Enyimbamercedes: 4:16pm On Jan 11, 2023
Olamilekxy:

Redesign of what ?

Nairaland is a blog site not social media.

Nairaland is not a blog; it is an Internet forum or message board. That’s why it is called Nairaland Forum.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Password Guessing Attack: Don't Reuse Your Nairaland Password by socialmediaman: 4:17pm On Jan 11, 2023
Seun why can’t someone change their registered email on nairaland? Many people have lost access to the emails they used to register, and if their password is hacked, that account is gone, they can’t retrieve it

1 Like

Re: Password Guessing Attack: Don't Reuse Your Nairaland Password by Eriokanmi: 4:30pm On Jan 11, 2023
Seun:
Fellow Nairalanders,

We have observed an ongoing password guessing attack against Nairaland members. The perpetrators have obtained a list of thousands of usernames and passwords from hacked websites & are systematically trying those passwords on Nairaland to take over your accounts.

If you have used your Nairaland username and password on other websites, they may be able to log in to Nairaland as you, mutilate your profile and send spam messages with your name. To prevent this, please change your Nairaland password to a unique password asap.

For the dozens of Nairalanders whose accounts have been affected, you would have gotten an unexpected login notification from Nairaland. All you need to do to secure your account is to logout, reset your password with this form, and correct your mutilated profile.

For those who are affected, we may scramble your password and log you out to force you to change it. Don't be alarmed. Just logout and reset your password with this form to regain access to Nairaland.

We have taken measures to slow the perpetrators down severely, but it's up to you to make sure that your password is secure.

Best Regards,
Seun Osewa.
Noted, with tnx
Re: Password Guessing Attack: Don't Reuse Your Nairaland Password by PoliteActivist: 4:35pm On Jan 11, 2023
BadEnglish:

Use the old one collect money for Seun hand, Da vinci

Don't you see whenever someone solicits or makes a request, first thing people check is when the account was created. That's how to establish it's not a scam nor a bot
Re: Password Guessing Attack: Don't Reuse Your Nairaland Password by Olamilekxy(m): 4:38pm On Jan 11, 2023
Enyimbamercedes:

Nairaland is not a blog; it is an Internet forum or message board. That’s why it is called Nairaland Forum.
embarassed embarassed dont mind me. A mistake
Re: Password Guessing Attack: Don't Reuse Your Nairaland Password by Olamilekxy(m): 4:39pm On Jan 11, 2023
Henrinos:

blog site,no wonder,tins get as e be for nairaland forum

grin grin

I meant forum.
Re: Password Guessing Attack: Don't Reuse Your Nairaland Password by Silentgroper(m): 4:45pm On Jan 11, 2023
iamsolasoul:
Users of iPhone Ko Baje O
No one said anything abt hacking phones..
Re: Password Guessing Attack: Don't Reuse Your Nairaland Password by SodiumValproate: 4:53pm On Jan 11, 2023
Seun:
Fellow Nairalanders,

We have observed an ongoing password guessing attack against Nairaland members. The perpetrators have obtained a list of thousands of usernames and passwords from hacked websites & are systematically trying those passwords on Nairaland to take over your accounts.

If you have used your Nairaland username and password on other websites, they may be able to log in to Nairaland as you, mutilate your profile and send spam messages with your name. To prevent this, please change your Nairaland password to a unique password asap.

For the dozens of Nairalanders whose accounts have been affected, you would have gotten an unexpected login notification from Nairaland. All you need to do to secure your account is to logout, reset your password with this form, and correct your mutilated profile.

For those who are affected, we may scramble your password and log you out to force you to change it. Don't be alarmed. Just logout and reset your password with this form to regain access to Nairaland.

We have taken measures to slow the perpetrators down severely, but it's up to you to make sure that your password is secure.

Best Regards,
Seun Osewa.
You why you no the use CAPTCHA for this your site?
Re: Password Guessing Attack: Don't Reuse Your Nairaland Password by Kasdat5(m): 4:58pm On Jan 11, 2023
My password wen be 1234 na em dem wan guess , Lai lai
Re: Password Guessing Attack: Don't Reuse Your Nairaland Password by PoliteActivist: 5:10pm On Jan 11, 2023
Kasdat5:

My own is "password", like many people, I'm sure

1 Like

Re: Password Guessing Attack: Don't Reuse Your Nairaland Password by Moneyboyz: 5:12pm On Jan 11, 2023
Hehe brute force.
Re: Password Guessing Attack: Don't Reuse Your Nairaland Password by Rayester: 5:12pm On Jan 11, 2023
Nice one
Re: Password Guessing Attack: Don't Reuse Your Nairaland Password by bassdow: 5:14pm On Jan 11, 2023
Seun:
Fellow Nairalanders,

Best Regards,
Seun Osewa.

-why not force a Password Reset for every member on their next visit ?
-Equally prevent people using certain kinds of passwords
-Also ensure users passwords contains some level of complexity
-maybe even force members change their passwords regularly like say every 4-months
-come up with certain ways of ensuring people don't reuse their previous password again e.g if I have used "so_M3e@3$#psWD" as password before, should never be able to use same as password again. gMail currently does something like that.
-include random email verifications, and reject anyone who uses disposable emails

the above should be a good start
Re: Password Guessing Attack: Don't Reuse Your Nairaland Password by Sleekfingers: 5:21pm On Jan 11, 2023
Make Dem hack am na......yeye
Re: Password Guessing Attack: Don't Reuse Your Nairaland Password by gucci20(m): 5:23pm On Jan 11, 2023
Seun:
Fellow Nairalanders,

Best Regards,
Seun Osewa.

Thanks so much for the info!
But, no one can get my password.
Re: Password Guessing Attack: Don't Reuse Your Nairaland Password by AfonjaConehead: 5:28pm On Jan 11, 2023
silvoclaira:
shocked

Seun, Nairaland needs a Redesign/Rebrand

It will go a long way in giving your platform the attention and credits it deserves in todays SocialMedia/discussion forum platform

Redesign/Rebranding is necessary over these years to ensure you’re capturing the new products, services, members attention.
Please leave nairaland the way it is and has been,we don't need any rebrand abi debanj,thank you very much

1 Like

Re: Password Guessing Attack: Don't Reuse Your Nairaland Password by Sweetvie: 5:39pm On Jan 11, 2023
Hmmm... Ok
Re: Password Guessing Attack: Don't Reuse Your Nairaland Password by Emeka71(m): 5:43pm On Jan 11, 2023
ibkayee:

Cool, an explanation is all people wanted
You try.
Re: Password Guessing Attack: Don't Reuse Your Nairaland Password by SirLakes: 5:46pm On Jan 11, 2023
Kasdat5:
You dey lie abi make I try am
Re: Password Guessing Attack: Don't Reuse Your Nairaland Password by ibkayee(f): 5:51pm On Jan 11, 2023
Emeka71:
You try.
How are you Emeka, you’ve been quoting me randomly for over ten years now lol I used to think you were a bot. Happy New Year

3 Likes

Re: Password Guessing Attack: Don't Reuse Your Nairaland Password by Nobody: 6:14pm On Jan 11, 2023
It’s simple. They are simply using your username and a couple of password template to brute force peoples password. Simply have an aphanumeric password with symbols and space in between.

The brutal and hasher won’t be able to decode the character in the space and will likely fill it with any character not knowing it’s an empty space.

This may not stop anytime soon as long as they have your usernames.

This was what yahoo and co faced that birthed the two factor authentication system that ensured logins are now authorized via mobile numbers or Email on the go.

Mr. Seun may not be able to stop this without a 2FA system.

You all should careful. And ensure your email accounts linked to your nairaland account is a burner account or has a 2FA.

Else they can as well take over ya email. And if your email is connect to your bank account or other important stuffs, your name is sorry.

Shalom
Re: Password Guessing Attack: Don't Reuse Your Nairaland Password by Slynation(m): 6:18pm On Jan 11, 2023
Whomever hacks my account is wasting his time...!! Absolutely nothing to gain from doing so...
Re: Password Guessing Attack: Don't Reuse Your Nairaland Password by nolywe(m): 6:18pm On Jan 11, 2023
Nairaland wey no pay her members...wetin hackers wan gain??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

10 Kinds Of People You Would Find At A Fighting Scene! (PHOTOS) / I Need A Technician To Fix This... / Hurray!!! Nairaland Is 10 Years Today!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.