Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,739 members, 7,817,035 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:11 AM

Masters Degree? Is It A Good Idea? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Masters Degree? Is It A Good Idea? (1561 Views)

Advice Needed:a Masters Degree To Aid My 2.2 Or A Life-changing Trip To Italy? / GTBank Job Or Masters Degree? / With Third Class Degree Is Their Any Hope (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Masters Degree? Is It A Good Idea? by Nobody: 11:10am On Sep 05, 2011
Please I need sincere advice on this issue,I am a graduate of Economics from one of the state university in the eatern states, i graduate since 2006 but has not been able to secure a well paying job.Infact my present pay at the small logistics company am with is nothing to write home about.Yes I graduated with 2.2. Now my sponsor thinks it is a good idea for me to go back to school for my masters. Is it a good idea for me to do masters? Will it fetch me a better job?What course of studies do you think will give me an edge at the employment market? .Or do I go ahead with my initial plan which was to go straight to fashion school since I have always have passion for that right from my childhood.But i doubt if he will support me in that.and it requires a lot money too.Please advice
Re: Masters Degree? Is It A Good Idea? by chamber2(m): 11:44am On Sep 05, 2011
I will support self employment any day. Being your own boss gives a lot of satisfaction.However, since your sponsor is likely not to buy into the idea of going to a fashion school and you do not have much savings to do it yourself, i will advise that you work for sometime, save and then pursue your goal.

Regarding the masters thingy.hmm. E get as e be o. Masters does not really open much doors as it used to be. But i will suggest you do it on part-time basis while still working or actively looking for another job. You may also try professional qualifications like ICAN, CIS, CFA, ACCA etc. They seem to be of more value nowadays than masters.

Also, With a degree in Economics, i wouldn't advise you to continue in that path. Economics is so generic, unless you want to continue at the PhD level and work as a lecturer thereafter. I will therefore advise you try something related to finance, or MBA in finance since you already have few years of work experience. You can also do something in supply chain, project management since you work with a logistics company.

My 2cent
Re: Masters Degree? Is It A Good Idea? by yamakuza: 12:30pm On Sep 05, 2011
seconded!

What has been the major challenge with getting a better job thus far?

What are they asking for that you dont have?
Re: Masters Degree? Is It A Good Idea? by Bonimiki(f): 12:43pm On Sep 05, 2011
Hi, The idea of getting masters degree is really good according to me, You get to exposed to the modern studies and your exposure enhances, It enriches you a lot with the pace of life and society!!
Re: Masters Degree? Is It A Good Idea? by Nobody: 12:51pm On Sep 05, 2011
Well nothing in particular that i can pinpoint? Sometimes I see people with better degree than mine competing for even the not so good jobs, But My sponsor stays at USA,has been there for a long while, he doesn't seem to understand that things are not the same here. I would have opted for a part time for the MSC. But I ran into a course mate who told me how she dropped out of Unilag programme because she could not cope as she combines her job with the programme. most the uni fixed programmes during the week days. I know of a guy with an NGO that leaves work around 2pm or 3pm atimes for at least 3 days a week excluding the sat when he goes in the morning. So i don't think i can combine with my job if i am to do it as i planned on getting good grade this time.
Re: Masters Degree? Is It A Good Idea? by Nobody: 1:02pm On Sep 05, 2011
you are right, i think he was thinking in that direction and the prestige attached. lol. you need to see them when my cousin requested for a little money to sell ok cloths, oh God. So this is all you can think of? after all the money spent on your education. are you the only one without a job?it is better you continue the search for job than do such rubish, Infact he sees my job as a complete waste of the time i would have used to acquire masters. I don't really like the idea of piling up degree when they are not going to fetch me the necessary thing i needed to go through life.

(1) (Reply)

Nebosh Courses Offer In Lagos / See What Nigerian Brothers Created In Philippines / Hubert Humphrey Fellowship -us Educational Exchange For Mid-career Professionals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.