Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,558 members, 7,812,804 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:36 PM

Fraud Allegation Against Me Is Political - Kuforiji (Lagos Speaker) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fraud Allegation Against Me Is Political - Kuforiji (Lagos Speaker) (2853 Views)

Obasa Emerges Lagos Speaker / Lagos Speaker Kuforiji Made Cash Withdrawals 57 Times, Witness Tells Court / Amaechi - My Suspension Is Political Witch-hunt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fraud Allegation Against Me Is Political - Kuforiji (Lagos Speaker) by Ovularia: 4:34pm On Sep 05, 2011
Allegation Of Fraud Against Me Political -lagos Speaker

| Print | E-mail
Written by Soji Ajibola, Lagos
Monday, 05 September 2011
The embattled Speaker, Lagos State House of Assembly, Adeyemi Kuforiji, has said the allegation of perjury and stealing of over N7 billion state funds contained in a petition written against him and forwarded to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), was politically motivated.

While stating that he was neither arrested nor detained by the commission as was reported by some national dailies, he  added that he was at the office of the EFCC to  honour  an invitation.

Speaking with journalists at his Ikeja GRA residence,  shortly after his release, the lawmaker said, “the House of Assembly had a budget of about N6billion. How can just one person appropriate the whole sum to himself? The Speaker  is just one among the 40 lawmakers, how he is able to steal N7billion out of N6billion is a question for the petitioners and the authorities to answer.

“As for me, I know there was no N7billion at anytime in the House, not over a period of one year though. There is no way I could have stolen N7billion. I don’t even steal at all.

“ It is nonsense. We all know it is political; for me, it is madness and for me as a believer, I don’t bother myself about those things because it is one of those things you go through as a leader.”

On his reported arrest by the EFCC, he said, “ I got their invitation on my way to the airport.I was going to Saudi Arabia for the lesser hajj and I sent a note to the executive chairman of the commission that I received their letter late and because it is Ramadan period, I will honour their invitation on Thursday, September 1.

“When I came back last Thursday, I called them that morning and the officer I spoke with told me that I should come in the afternoon and I went. On getting to Abuja, there was heavy traffic because of the Boko Haram issue.

“The soldiers mounted road blocks and there was  heavy traffic. So I had to call them again that I am in the traffic and the officer I spoke with said since it was getting late, I should come on Friday morning. So I went there to honour the invitation of the EFCC. I was not at anytime arrested by the commission.”

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/27706-allegation-of-fraud-against-me-political-lagos-speaker
Re: Fraud Allegation Against Me Is Political - Kuforiji (Lagos Speaker) by friedrice1: 10:54pm On Sep 05, 2011
Ovularia:

Allegation of fraud against me political -Lagos Speaker

| Print | E-mail
Written by Soji Ajibola, Lagos
Monday, 05 September 2011
The embattled Speaker, Lagos State House of Assembly, Adeyemi Kuforiji, has said the allegation of perjury and stealing of over N7 billion state funds contained in a petition written against him and forwarded to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), was politically motivated.

While stating that he was neither arrested nor detained by the commission as was reported by some national dailies, he added that he was at the office of the EFCC to honour an invitation.

Speaking with journalists at his Ikeja GRA residence, shortly after his release, the lawmaker said, “the House of Assembly had a budget of about N6billion. How can just one person appropriate the whole sum to himself? The Speaker is just one among the 40 lawmakers, how he is able to steal N7billion out of N6billion is a question for the petitioners and the authorities to answer.

“As for me, I know there was no N7billion at anytime in the House, not over a period of one year though. There is no way I could have stolen N7billion. I don’t even steal at all.
[b]
“ It is nonsense. We all know it is political; [/b]for me, it is madness and for me as a believer, I don’t bother myself about those things because it is one of those things you go through as a leader.”

On his reported arrest by the EFCC, he said, “ I got their invitation on my way to the airport.I was going to Saudi Arabia for the lesser hajj and I sent a note to the executive chairman of the commission that I received their letter late and because it is Ramadan period, I will honour their invitation on Thursday, September 1.

“When I came back last Thursday, I called them that morning and the officer I spoke with told me that I should come in the afternoon and I went. On getting to Abuja, there was heavy traffic because of the Boko Haram issue.

“The soldiers mounted road blocks and there was heavy traffic. So I had to call them again that I am in the traffic and the officer I spoke with said since it was getting late, I should come on Friday morning. So I went there to honour the invitation of the EFCC. I was not at anytime arrested by the commission.”

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/27706-allegation-of-fraud-against-me-political-lagos-speaker
the Usual talk,
Re: Fraud Allegation Against Me Is Political - Kuforiji (Lagos Speaker) by Nobody: 5:34am On Sep 06, 2011
CRIMINAL NATION.
THEY SHOULD RENAME IT NIGGERIA![/size][size=8pt]
Re: Fraud Allegation Against Me Is Political - Kuforiji (Lagos Speaker) by yim(f): 7:55am On Sep 06, 2011
do they think we are fools? political indeed.
Re: Fraud Allegation Against Me Is Political - Kuforiji (Lagos Speaker) by TenKobo1: 8:10am On Sep 06, 2011
Yes dear, it's politics but go and answer the questions grin grin grin grin
Re: Fraud Allegation Against Me Is Political - Kuforiji (Lagos Speaker) by mbulela: 8:28am On Sep 06, 2011
Having consulted widely with my constituents and by popular demand, I am today declaring my intention to contest for a seat into the Lagos State House of Assembly and then will aspire to become the speaker of the state assembly. My aspiration is premised on the news reaching my desk last Saturday that the assembly’s current speaker, Hon. Ikuforiji Adeyemi, travels to the United States of America every other month. If that is what it will take for me to go on overseas junkets six or more times a year, then I want Ikuforiji’s job.

By his own admission, the embattled speaker, who is being investigated by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, says he has been sojourning to the country at least once every two months for the past few years. He made the revelation while dismissing allegations that he was once convicted in the US and had absconded from the country in 2003 and 2005 respectively. If he travels this frequently to the US, only heaven know how often he takes off to the United Kingdom, which is just six hours away and is a second home to several Nigerians.

Well, I believe that Ikuforiji has enjoyed those overseas trips a bit too much, if not, he would have been a lot more circumspect about what he blurts out. But seeing that these sort of things don’t seem to matter in the Nigerian context, I have decided that it is my turn to eat. So Ikuforiji, move over. I too want to enjoy the largesse and perks of the speaker’s office.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/the-nigerian-un-chattering-class/97799/
Re: Fraud Allegation Against Me Is Political - Kuforiji (Lagos Speaker) by grabdbull: 10:18am On Sep 06, 2011
Some of these petitioners are just plain vengeful and uncoordinated. How is it possible for one lawmaker to misappropriate funds far above what is given to the State Assembly in total. We are talking about N1b extra!! Does it now mean that the other lawmakers never received any funds to carry out their duties throughout the one year in review?

Another aspect of this saga that is baffling is the fact that it was published in black and white that the man was arrested, which from his side of the story, is blatant falsehood.

Clear witch-hunt case, if ever I've heard of one.
Re: Fraud Allegation Against Me Is Political - Kuforiji (Lagos Speaker) by favouredjb(f): 10:56am On Sep 06, 2011
^^talks like this will not make us move forward in naija

you must be a newbie in this country not to know its dayum possible
Re: Fraud Allegation Against Me Is Political - Kuforiji (Lagos Speaker) by pynkspyce: 11:25am On Sep 06, 2011
i am puzzled how he has time to go to America every two months. How exactly does he get any damn work done?
Re: Fraud Allegation Against Me Is Political - Kuforiji (Lagos Speaker) by Nobody: 1:52pm On Sep 06, 2011
The house budget is around 6b per annum and not for 4 years. Lets ask few questions
1) How can only one man stole 7b out of 24b budget?
2) What of other house members? are they dummy?
3) What of their statement of affairs in the last 4 years?
Re: Fraud Allegation Against Me Is Political - Kuforiji (Lagos Speaker) by sley4life(m): 2:02pm On Sep 06, 2011
if found guilty he should be thrown to jail
Re: Fraud Allegation Against Me Is Political - Kuforiji (Lagos Speaker) by mbulela: 2:41pm On Sep 06, 2011
i am really not interested in the EFCC case.as not only is it neither black or white,nothing will come out of it.
what i am more concerned about is how a man with the alleged criminal convictions he had in America rose to the top of the Legislature in Lagos state.
Re: Fraud Allegation Against Me Is Political - Kuforiji (Lagos Speaker) by kokorunna(m): 5:54pm On Sep 06, 2011
When it comes to fraud allegations it always political , there is no justice system in that country

(1) (Reply)

A Really Honest Nigerian: Chairperson Of The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) / Corruption In Nigeria; Who To Blame? Politicians Or Civil Servant / Nairaland Mentioned In The Punch Newspapers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.