Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,501 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:48 AM

Falana: DSS Does Not Need Court Order To Arrest Emefiele - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Falana: DSS Does Not Need Court Order To Arrest Emefiele (13871 Views)

DSS Does Not Disobey Court Orders - Dr Peter Afunanya / Reps Reject CBN’s 10-Day Deadline Extension; Threaten To Arrest Emefiele / Falana: DSS Has Given 3 Contradictory Reasons For Not Releasing Sowore (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Falana: DSS Does Not Need Court Order To Arrest Emefiele by buhariguy(m): 7:58pm On Jan 16, 2023
God1000:
This is serious, CBN governor should come and prove his innocence instead of hiding.

But DSS should obey the court order first.

What is Buhari saying about this whole saga?
idiotic pigs don't read before commenting,
Dss don't need Court order before arresting emefiele

1 Like

Re: Falana: DSS Does Not Need Court Order To Arrest Emefiele by BluntTheApostle(m): 8:03pm On Jan 16, 2023
Brendaniel:
Emefiele goes no where, you can't support him for 8 years to punish Nigerians then arrest him for punishing a few politicians for just 3 months.

Emefiele till Peter Obi is sworn in

You people keep on linking this nonsense that Emefiele did to the 2023 general election.

Can't you see that we are heading for a disaster with persistent scarcity of naira staring us in the face?

Do you think there is enough new naira notes in circulation?

I don't think so.

Just as Professor Sagay said, there is no need to have a deadline for this thing. The old notes will phase out in due time.

You take your old notes to the bank, it doesn't come out again.

But that is not the case.

You take your old notes to the bank, you end up withdrawing the same old notes.

And they said the deadline is January 31.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Falana: DSS Does Not Need Court Order To Arrest Emefiele by OlujobaSamuel: 8:22pm On Jan 16, 2023
Jogs1900:

The policy is not an issue ...If these big politicians want the new notes, it's even the bank MD that will take it to their homes...They are well connected...Let me tell you something, all political parties buy votes..not neww
Leave Dem na
No be same CBN Gov dey give Dasuki, Obanikoro, Fayose and co cash during election, na now e want fight vote buying.

3 Likes

Re: Falana: DSS Does Not Need Court Order To Arrest Emefiele by Brendaniel: 8:26pm On Jan 16, 2023
Jogs1900:

The policy is not an issue ...If these big politicians want the new notes, it's even the bank MD that will take it to their homes...They are well connected...Let me tell you something, all political parties buy votes..not neww

I don't want to go into argument, but what Buhari could not do in the primaries is what he is doing in the general elections because he was bullied into submission based on agreement, go back and listen to his message before the primaries.

1 Like

Re: Falana: DSS Does Not Need Court Order To Arrest Emefiele by Brendaniel: 8:26pm On Jan 16, 2023
BluntTheApostle:

You people keep on linking this nonsense that Emefiele did to the 2023 general election.

Can't you see that we are heading for a disaster with persistent scarcity of naira staring us in the face?

Do you think there is enough new naira notes in circulation?

I don't think so.

Just as Professor Sagay said, there is no need to have a deadline for this thing. The old notes will phase out in due time.

You take your old notes to the bank, it doesn't come out again.

But that is not the case.

You take your old notes to the bank, you end up withdrawing the same old notes.

And they said the deadline is January 31.

I don't want to go into argument, but what Buhari could not do in the primaries is what he is doing in the general elections because he was bullied into submission based on agreement, go back and listen to his message before the primaries.
Re: Falana: DSS Does Not Need Court Order To Arrest Emefiele by Upworkwriter007(f): 8:27pm On Jan 16, 2023
Brendaniel:

It's just for a period, it will affect political riggers way more, after the election DSS can do whatever they want to do with Emefiele....
You underrate corruption. How much bribe do you need to give bank managers before they undermine CBN directive? You think Tinubu has issues accessing cash? Or Atiku can't access cash?

2 Likes

Re: Falana: DSS Does Not Need Court Order To Arrest Emefiele by Brendaniel: 8:41pm On Jan 16, 2023
Upworkwriter007:
You underrate corruption. How much bribe do you need to give bank managers before they undermine CBN directive? You think Tinubu has issues accessing cash? Or Atiku can't access cash?

the problem is accessing enough cash, the new printed notes are limited that's why they are chasing him everywhere...
Re: Falana: DSS Does Not Need Court Order To Arrest Emefiele by Brendaniel: 8:43pm On Jan 16, 2023
Iamgrey5:
Ok, "money has circulated already"!

Circulated with limitations spending it in cash, that is why they are after Emefiele...
Re: Falana: DSS Does Not Need Court Order To Arrest Emefiele by Upworkwriter007(f): 8:58pm On Jan 16, 2023
Brendaniel:

the problem is accessing enough cash, the new printed notes are limited that's why they are chasing him everywhere...
This is exactly why the cash isn't circulating. It's in the hands of a few

2 Likes

Re: Falana: DSS Does Not Need Court Order To Arrest Emefiele by Brendaniel: 9:19pm On Jan 16, 2023
Upworkwriter007:

Not just that, the new printed notes are few, 500 million copies for 200 million citizens and some people are doing tiktok challenge washing their own copies...
Re: Falana: DSS Does Not Need Court Order To Arrest Emefiele by Nobody: 9:21pm On Jan 16, 2023
tinsel:
Human rights lawyer and Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Femi Falana, says the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Godwin Emefiele, has not returned to the country following allegations of terrorism financing levelled against him by the Department of State Services (DSS).

“I can say without any fear of contradiction that Mr Godwin Emefiele is not in Nigeria; he hasn’t returned to the country because he has been declared wanted by the state security services,” Falana said on Channels Television’s Sunday Politics.

“If you have the evidence that he has committed the offence alleged, you don’t need a court order to arrest him and that is the law. And by the way, no court in Nigeria or anyway has the power to confer immunity on any citizen… If you are not one of the 74 people who are entitled to immunity in Nigeria; that is the President, the Vice President, the governors, and deputy governors, no other person can enjoy immunity.

“So, you can’t say don’t arrest a citizen if there is reasonable suspicion that he has committed an offence. So, I expect the State Security Service to come out with the allegations, and if Mr Emefiele is not going to return to the country, file a charge in the Federal High Court so that he can get his lawyers, and prepare his defence
The secret police had approached an Abuja court to arrest Emefiele over alleged terrorism financing and economic crimes of national security but Justice Maryam Hassan of the Federal Capital Territory High Court Abuja quashed the move by the DSS.

The judge thereafter barred the DSS from arresting, inviting, or detaining Emefiele declaring the terrorism allegations against the CBN governor by the DSS as vindictive, callous, oppressive, void and of no effect.

However, Falana on Sunday said the DSS does not need a court order to arrest the CBN governor if the Service has concrete evidence against him. He urged the DSS to proceed to arrest Emefiele upon his arrival in Nigeria, noting that the apex bank governor is not one of those constitutionally entitled to immunity in Nigeria.

Falana described as embarrassing the allegations against Emefiele by the DSS, saying this can only happen in a Banana Republic where the governor of the apex bank would be accused of a grave offence of terrorism financing.

“Has the government considered the enormous implication of the effect of a wanted governor of the central bank on the economy?

“I am completely flabbergasted that the President of the country has not intervened; either to call the state security to order or to call Mr Emefiele to return to the country or be fired,” the senior lawyer said.

He recalled that Emefiele’s predecessor, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi was also accused of terrorism financing in 2014 but won the case.

“These guys play on our collective intelligence because they know we are very forgetful. In 2014, his (Emefiele’s) immediate predecessor, former Emir of Kano, Alhaji Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, was equally accused of terrorism financing.
In the same way, he (Sanusi) also travelled out of the country to attend a meeting with the governors of the central banks of West Africa in Niamey, Niger Republic.

“As soon as he landed in Lagos, he was arrested, and his passport was seized,” Falana said.

The senior lawyer said Sanusi won the case and the court awarded N50m compensation in favour of Sanusi.

Falana stressed that the allegation of terrorism financing against Emefiele should not be dismissed.
https://www.channelstv.com/2023/01/15/emefiele-hasnt-returned-to-nigeria-should-be-arrested-on-arrival-falana/

APC is just confused. Come February Nigerians will send them and their confusion packing grin
Re: Falana: DSS Does Not Need Court Order To Arrest Emefiele by BeardGangJnr1(m): 9:51pm On Jan 16, 2023
Brendaniel:

I asked because what ever they claim they are holding him for is what Nigerians have been crying for the past 7 years for him to be held for and they did not, now he changed policy and they remembered him...

Is that not hypocrisy....
Omo, Nigeria is beyond repair shaa
Re: Falana: DSS Does Not Need Court Order To Arrest Emefiele by chloride6: 5:52am On Jan 17, 2023
Janus has started.
Re: Falana: DSS Does Not Need Court Order To Arrest Emefiele by codeplace(m): 5:57am On Jan 17, 2023
Then they should arrest him.
Re: Falana: DSS Does Not Need Court Order To Arrest Emefiele by Patriot9: 6:12am On Jan 17, 2023
Iamgrey5:

@embolden are 200 million people heading to the polls?

And why do you think the you haven't seen enough of the currency till date?

I would be surprised if more than 40 million people vote on election day self.
that the common man are denied to have could be lying in a bunker in Peter Obi's house
(Quote) (Report) (Like) (Share)

Please ignore Brendaniel, don't reply him again. In Nigeria, the more you look the less you see.
Is it not the same CBN that said that they don't know the quantities of new naira notes that have been printed.
This is the best time to work in a bank.
In my state, if you want to change old currency to new currency, banks will charge you 8.5% of whatever amount you want to change. In fact it was 10% before and it's usually Friday and Saturday. The 8.5% is just the money to "shuss' the branch manager or whoever is in charge oo.
Banks are now operating two bulk rooms, one for public and another one for private citizens

1 Like

Re: Falana: DSS Does Not Need Court Order To Arrest Emefiele by Sebocious(m): 6:13am On Jan 17, 2023
Jogs1900:

I don't understand how this currency change will work...Most of us in the cities are yet to set our eyes on the new notes talkless of those in the villages.Jan 31st deadline is not possible again.

Nice submission. ..new notes *let alone those...
Re: Falana: DSS Does Not Need Court Order To Arrest Emefiele by Validated: 6:16am On Jan 17, 2023
Emefiele will return on February 26, 2023, he has 3 months accumulated vacation - PMB grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Falana: DSS Does Not Need Court Order To Arrest Emefiele by Peterobifailed: 6:17am On Jan 17, 2023

1 Like

Re: Falana: DSS Does Not Need Court Order To Arrest Emefiele by sweetman2022: 6:18am On Jan 17, 2023
Brendaniel:

I asked because what ever they claim they are holding him for is what Nigerians have been crying for the past 7 years for him to be held for and they did not, now he changed policy and they remembered him...

Is that not hypocrisy....
You can't eat your cake and still have it. You want a better Nigeria and yet still give filmsy excuses of why DSS is going after someone with allegations against him.
It shouldn't matter if he should have being brought in 5 years ago or now. If he has nothing in his cupboard to hide, DSS will just waste their time like they did with Sanusi when he was also accused.
So please if you are not being paid to defend an accused persons, stop giving excuses for them.

2 Likes

Re: Falana: DSS Does Not Need Court Order To Arrest Emefiele by NOETHNICITY(m): 6:33am On Jan 17, 2023
Jogs1900:

I don't understand how this currency change will work...Most of us in the cities are yet to set our eyes on the new notes talkless of those in the villages.Jan 31st deadline is not possible again.
My thoughts exactly. Till this very date it’s only just once the new note touched my hands, this notwithstanding the fact that I deal with cash most times

1 Like

Re: Falana: DSS Does Not Need Court Order To Arrest Emefiele by HardMirror(m): 6:35am On Jan 17, 2023
Brendaniel:

You don't get it, do you, we are talking about vote buying on election day, how many Almajiris have bank account for transfer, how many people will want to receive bank transfer for vote buying, how many transactions can be done as quick as cash payment during the election timing, how many failed transactions due to network and so on that will cause fights in various polling units, the vote buyers obviously know this is a disaster waiting for them if they are banking on Vote buying.

Cash payment still remains the, easiest, quickest and safest means of vote buying for both the buyer and the seller.

and u think if tinubu needs 10billion in cash in the next 2 hours he wont get it? Lol. I am laughing seriously at your people's foolishness. Do you know how many governors, senetors, representatives, business men are in apc or PDP? They can raise billions in cash for tinubu or atiku in minutes.

1 Like

Re: Falana: DSS Does Not Need Court Order To Arrest Emefiele by NOETHNICITY(m): 6:36am On Jan 17, 2023
I’m just aghast at the docile, Idontcare attitude of Buhari

1 Like

Re: Falana: DSS Does Not Need Court Order To Arrest Emefiele by HardMirror(m): 6:38am On Jan 17, 2023
Upworkwriter007:
tell the idiot. Seems he is not a nigerian. Cbn is whining him and he is happy
Re: Falana: DSS Does Not Need Court Order To Arrest Emefiele by alfsalami: 6:56am On Jan 17, 2023
But Peter Odili has been confered with immunity by the court !
Re: Falana: DSS Does Not Need Court Order To Arrest Emefiele by khadaffi(m): 7:03am On Jan 17, 2023
Brendaniel:

The question is why is the DSS looking for him?

I think the DSS has answered this. The man has stakes in 12 banks. Where did he get the money. This is a valid reason to arrest him. I'm sure this is not a lie, however I'm not sure of that terrorism financing. Anyone the government wants to deal with, they usually come up with terrorism financing.
Re: Falana: DSS Does Not Need Court Order To Arrest Emefiele by SHEAU(m): 7:06am On Jan 17, 2023
God1000:
This is serious, CBN governor should come and prove his innocence instead of hiding.

Buhari is not aware

1 Like

Re: Falana: DSS Does Not Need Court Order To Arrest Emefiele by depure(m): 7:08am On Jan 17, 2023
Obaofaba:
From all indication, Emefiele is not clean.

Why running if you are doing the right thing.

DSS surely know of his shady deals and he knew too.
He needs to run federal government doesn't obey court order and you know that, he is afraid of illegal detention
Re: Falana: DSS Does Not Need Court Order To Arrest Emefiele by Abemy(m): 7:17am On Jan 17, 2023
What does Falana mean by concrete evidence?

What happens to not been guilty until proven by Court?

Does it mean the DSS are not under the law?

If the DSS doesn't believe in court pronouncement, where they take The CBN boss to, if they finally arrest him?
Re: Falana: DSS Does Not Need Court Order To Arrest Emefiele by tamdun: 7:48am On Jan 17, 2023
OlujobaSamuel:

Leave Dem na
No be same CBN Gov dey give Dasuki, Obanikoro, Fayose and co cash during election, na now e want fight vote buying.
I was surprised when buhari retained him,same cbn gov during Jonathan's regime,the money that was in circulation during 2015 election no b small
Re: Falana: DSS Does Not Need Court Order To Arrest Emefiele by Nobody: 8:12am On Jan 17, 2023
Bodmum:
that bastard, buhari is not in charge.

The president of the Federal Republic of Nigeria is a bastard? Your own president is a bastard? Where's proper upbringing and home training in all this?
Re: Falana: DSS Does Not Need Court Order To Arrest Emefiele by StJasper(m): 8:20am On Jan 17, 2023
God1000:

The court order was totally wrong and still wrong. It is called JUDGEMENT PER INCURIUM.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Oshiomhole: I Paid ₦‎1,000 For A Litre, Laments Fuel Scarcity And Price / Akwa Ibom, Rivers Top States With High Unemployment Rate In 2018 3rd Quarter–nbs / $15b Deals: I’m Ready For Trial, Says Ex-nsa Dasuki

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.