Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,321 members, 7,819,100 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:11 AM

Fixed! Windows 10 Users: How Do You Stop Windows From Draining Your Data In - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Fixed! Windows 10 Users: How Do You Stop Windows From Draining Your Data In (1114 Views)

How To Stop Windows 10 From Using So Much Data / Android Studio Users, How Can I Resolve This Issue On My Virtual Emulator / How Can I Restore The Calculation Data In MS Access 2016? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fixed! Windows 10 Users: How Do You Stop Windows From Draining Your Data In by dave601: 12:11am On Jan 17, 2023
Please share your ideas, please...

Modified:

See my update down below...
Re: Fixed! Windows 10 Users: How Do You Stop Windows From Draining Your Data In by LikeAking: 2:16am On Jan 17, 2023
dave601:

That's the bad side of windows.. Rubbish!
Re: Fixed! Windows 10 Users: How Do You Stop Windows From Draining Your Data In by truthCoder: 5:36am On Jan 17, 2023
dave601:

Set up a metered connection. This reduces background internet use a little.

Second is to pause updates (i think for one week) after which you must update.

Windows is always updating and heavily dependent on Windows Defender’s battle against attackers.

Of all the big three (linux, macos, windows) windows is the only one that needs constant updating to even remotely work.

I have a laptop that mainly speaks ubuntu but dual boots windows 11 for those days that i might need to speak in windows. I have not used the windows part since November. Imagine putting it on just this week, and it is screaming that it needs another update injection. So i gave it, monitored size and it was over 500mb in total, plus another 5 to 10 minutes of updating time.

Imagine trying to have a presentation. You have worked on your slides, updated your system and shut down. You get to the meeting, power up your system and it tells you, “windows is updating, please do not shut down the computer “

2 Likes

Re: Fixed! Windows 10 Users: How Do You Stop Windows From Draining Your Data In by matrixme(m): 8:34am On Jan 17, 2023
The annoying part is that it's even best to let the update run. If you pause it, the day you decide to connect, it will force the accumulated updates which will consume a lot of data. I think its best to always disconnect WiFi intermittently during use. Once you open a website, disconnect, then connect to WiFi again to open another
Re: Fixed! Windows 10 Users: How Do You Stop Windows From Draining Your Data In by LikeAking: 4:00pm On Jan 17, 2023
truthCoder:

Set up a metered connection. This reduces background internet use a little.

Second is to pause updates (i think for one week) after which you must update.

Windows is always updating and heavily dependent on Windows Defender’s battle against attackers.

Of all the big three (linux, macos, windows) windows is the only one that needs constant updating to even remotely work.

I have a laptop that mainly speaks ubuntu but dual boots windows 11 for those days that i might need to speak in windows. I have not used the windows part since November. Imagine putting it on just this week, and it is screaming that it needs another update injection. So i gave it, monitored size and it was over 500mb in total, plus another 5 to 10 minutes of updating time.

Imagine trying to have a presentation. You have worked on your slides, updated your system and shut down. You get to the meeting, power up your system and it tells you, “windows is updating, please do not shut down the computer “

Updates kill Dem.
Re: Fixed! Windows 10 Users: How Do You Stop Windows From Draining Your Data In by dave601: 4:17pm On Jan 17, 2023
Hello Everybody...

Well, I think I had actually got a good fix or a permanent solution to the issue before I created this thread. I just created the threads to see if I'll get something new, or the same thing I've found. Most of what you guys are saying don't work much...

My experience was so bad that even without touching the system, I would see my data getting eating up before me as if I was downloading a large file.

The solution I found is to freeze or suspend any program you notice 'drinking' your data when network is on. It's been about two days or so now, and it works—my network monitor displays around 0.0k when idle; no more 3mb, 5mb, 10mb or 13mb per second... I wouldn't mind if I had unlimited data, though.

Search resource monitor, navigate and suspend "only" the hungry programs you notice.

Make sure to resume any program that affects your network/wifi. Target only the hungry ones you don't need.

**"Disclaimer...smiles... There might a side effect, not sure for now. But I can sleep with my wifi on so far...

God bless...

See a pics below...

Re: Fixed! Windows 10 Users: How Do You Stop Windows From Draining Your Data In by dave601: 7:04pm On Jan 17, 2023
dave601:
Hello Everybody...

Well, I think I had already actually had a good fix or a permanent solution to the issue. I just created few threads to see if I'll get something new or the same thing I've found. Most of what you guys are saying don't work much...

My experience was so bad that even without touching the system, I would see my data getting eating up before me as if I was downloading a large file.

The solution I found is to freeze or suspend any program you notice 'drinking' your data when network is on. It's been about two days or so now, and it works—my network monitor displays around 0.0k when idle; no more 3mb, 5mb, 10mb or 13mb per second... I wouldn't mind if I had unlimited data, though.

Search resource monitor, navigate and suspend "only" the hungry programs you notice.

Make sure to resume any program that affects your network/wifi. Target only the hungry ones you don't need.

**"Disclaimer...smiles... There might a side effect, not sure for now. But I can sleep with my wifi on so far...

God bless...

See a pics below...

This
Re: Fixed! Windows 10 Users: How Do You Stop Windows From Draining Your Data In by truthCoder2: 10:02pm On Jan 17, 2023
dave601:
Hello Everybody...

Well, I think I had already actually had a good fix or a permanent solution to the issue. I just created few threads to see if I'll get something new or the same thing I've found. Most of what you guys are saying don't work much...

God bless...

See a pics below...

Thanks so much....

Since you have now cured your malady by freezing processes, do you even know what you froze?

i can see svchost.exe. Are you sure that your system is not horribly infected with trojans?. I am guessing miner trojans. Your system is possibly mining crypto for one kid in north korea.

But what do we know? Afterall, all our recommendations were worth nothing.

cheers
Re: Fixed! Windows 10 Users: How Do You Stop Windows From Draining Your Data In by dave601: 11:07pm On Jan 17, 2023
truthCoder2:

Thanks so much....

Since you have now cured your malady by freezing processes, do you even know what you froze?

i can see svchost.exe. Are you sure that your system is not horribly infected with trojans?. I am guessing miner trojans. Your system is possibly mining crypto for one kid in north korea.

But what do we know? Afterall, all our recommendations were worth nothing.

cheers

No friend, you missed the point. I meant virtually all you mentioned I had already tried and only noticed little or no difference: having watched few YouTube videos. Besides, it's not convenient to be monitoring data all the time—not as if it will resolve it.

Well, I'm not sure about those trojan things, but what I know is it works for now; and I mentioned there might be side effects of which I've not noticed yet—I am no tech savvy.

If it fails later, then my only resolve will be to downgrade to win7 like I did on one awhile ago. Cos my work is already a data consuming stuff, so this win10 issue is a no no for me. Not only data, but the bandwidth. I use video apps, so the imaginary updates (downloading) can easily spoil it...

I hope it's clear now.

Thank you.
Re: Fixed! Windows 10 Users: How Do You Stop Windows From Draining Your Data In by DriggityDre: 3:40am On Jan 18, 2023
Just pause the updates, or use regedit to modify your registry (if you're experienced enough).

I won't advise using regedit if you aren't *experienced, else you risk corrupting system configs. Tho if you can, it might help.

Many walkthroughs online. Just look it up
Re: Fixed! Windows 10 Users: How Do You Stop Windows From Draining Your Data In by truthCoder2: 7:13am On Jan 18, 2023
dave601:

No friend, you missed the point. I meant virtually all you mentioned I had already tried and only noticed little or no difference: having watched few YouTube videos. Besides, it's not convenient to be monitoring data all the time—not as if it will resolve it.

Well, I'm not sure about those trojan things, but what I know is it works for now; and I mentioned there might be side effects of which I've not noticed yet—I am no tech savvy.

If it fails later, then my only resolve will be to downgrade to win7 like I did on one awhile ago. Cos my work is already a data consuming stuff, so this win10 issue is a no no for me. Not only data, but the bandwidth. I use video apps, so the imaginary updates (downloading) can easily spoil it...

I hope it's clear now.

Thank you.

Windows 10 is way better than Windows 7.

The problem is that you potentially have a malware on that system.

Freezing processes is just a troubleshooting process and not a solution.
Re: Fixed! Windows 10 Users: How Do You Stop Windows From Draining Your Data In by Nobody: 8:55pm On Jan 18, 2023
dave601:
Hello Everybody...

God bless...

See a pics below...

No side effects. I disable all of mine for over a year. Omo! I just noticed when my wifi couldn't connect.

It said I need to update the stuff. Taking it to computer village to update the driver.
Re: Fixed! Windows 10 Users: How Do You Stop Windows From Draining Your Data In by dave601: 1:57pm On Jan 20, 2023
Thanksful:

No side effects. I disable all of mine for over a year. Omo! I just noticed when my wifi couldn't connect.

It said I need to update the stuff. Taking it to computer village to update the driver.

Hello, please make it clearer...

I don't think you need to take it to anywhere. I experienced that too at some point. Try resuming them; patiently study the one that's eating data and suspend only them.

Wifi won't work at all if you suspend some certain ones...

But I'm glad I can leave my wifi one for hours without unnecessary disappearance of data for now...

Please I'll be expecting more about your experience... The only alternative is to downgrade to win7. I once installed a fixed wireless network few years ago with a local ISP (unlimited data), but didn't serve me well...
Re: Fixed! Windows 10 Users: How Do You Stop Windows From Draining Your Data In by Nobody: 5:03pm On Jan 20, 2023
dave601:

Hello, please make it clearer...

I don't think you need to take it to anywhere. I experienced that too at some point. Try resuming them; patiently study the one that's eating data and suspend only them.

Wifi won't work at all if you suspend some certain ones...

But I'm glad I can leave my wifi one for hours without unnecessary disappearance of data for now...

Please I'll be expecting more about your experience... The only alternative is to downgrade to win7. I once installed a fixed wireless network few years ago with a local ISP (unlimited data), but didn't serve me well...

Thank you. I just got another one pavilion. I am not kin on looking in that direction for now.
Re: Fixed! Windows 10 Users: How Do You Stop Windows From Draining Your Data In by AfDapone: 11:55pm On Jan 20, 2023
Windows 10 does not pity struggling Nigerians, it licks data like icecream.

See my post How To Stop Windows 10 From Using So Much Data
Re: Fixed! Windows 10 Users: How Do You Stop Windows From Draining Your Data In by dave601: 12:10am On Jan 21, 2023
Thanksful:

Thank you. I just got another one pavilion. I am not kin on looking in that direction for now.

Ok, but I think I'll downgrade to win7 ASAP. The performance seems poor lately; I guess it's the freezing...
Re: Fixed! Windows 10 Users: How Do You Stop Windows From Draining Your Data In by dave601: 12:14am On Jan 21, 2023
AfDapone:
Windows 10 does not pity struggling Nigerians, it licks data like icecream.

Despite the fact I employed no nonsense Tinywall, Windows 10 still proved that it's still the host OS. Tinywall worked against all Windows and third parties apps except Windows Update. Even if you untick Windows Update and Windows Store Update in the "Special Exceptions" of "Tiny Firewall Settings" section, Windows will still update.
Sweating!

The solution - Edit the Group Policy
To finally stop Windows from updating and licking your data, you will have to edit the Group Policy. To do that follow the instructions below:

Run Command Prompt with administrator privilege

Goto:
Computer Configuration -> Administrative Template -> Windows Components -> Windows Update

From the list, find, open and edit and save each of the followings:

* Allow updates to be downloaded automatically over metered connections **set to Disabled
* Configure Automatic Updates **set to Disabled
* Specify intranet Microsoft update service location **set to Enabled
(Then type localhost inside all the 3 boxes)
* Remove access to use all Windows Update features **set to Enabled
* Do not connect to any Windows Update Internet locations **set to Enabled
* Turn on recommended updates via Automatic Updates **set to Enabled

Beware there is danger of not allowing your system to update with latest security fixes. Do the above if you know what you are doing.

Thanks bro... I guess I will just downgrade to win7. So it doesn't spoil my work. I can't imagine being in an online class and one update wants to eat...
Re: Fixed! Windows 10 Users: How Do You Stop Windows From Draining Your Data In by dave601: 9:48pm On Jan 21, 2023
The method seems a bit tricky... It quite worked for awhile, but I think it's making my PC misbehave lately.

I've just disabled the updates, and it can continue eating as usual—it surely can't eat more than the size of it's stomach...
Re: Fixed! Windows 10 Users: How Do You Stop Windows From Draining Your Data In by truthCoder: 11:24pm On Jan 21, 2023
dave601:

Ok, but I think I'll downgrade to win7 ASAP. The performance seems poor lately; I guess it's the freezing...
You are not ready to resolve your issues.

Just dey play
Re: Fixed! Windows 10 Users: How Do You Stop Windows From Draining Your Data In by truthCoder: 11:28pm On Jan 21, 2023
Windows update happens usually on patch Tuesdays which is the second Tuesday of every month. Next update is on Feb 14

Your problem is not windows if it goes beyond that.

Except you are buying those 50mb daily plan, a 500 naira 2.5gb data should solve your update problems.

My comments on this thread is not to the OP who already has his opinions but to the innocent reader who might take his absurd downgrade recommendations as being factual.
Re: Fixed! Windows 10 Users: How Do You Stop Windows From Draining Your Data In by dave601: 3:48am On Jan 24, 2023
truthCoder:

You are not ready to resolve your issues.

Just dey play

Friend, I tried those methods over and over... I only try to control the programs now... That's a partial resolve.
Re: Fixed! Windows 10 Users: How Do You Stop Windows From Draining Your Data In by truthCoder: 5:43am On Jan 24, 2023
dave601:

Friend, I tried those methods over and over... I only try to control the programs now... That's a partial resolve.

Can you please mention those methods?
Re: Fixed! Windows 10 Users: How Do You Stop Windows From Draining Your Data In by dave601: 11:59pm On Jan 24, 2023
truthCoder:

You know, setting metered connection; switching off update, etc...

The laptop I'm using is not really good with zoom functions that's why I've been having issues (it's a new laptop but it's processor is not great).

My method actually works—I've been using it again, since my data kept disappearing once I connect. Not only will it waste data, it will affect the quality of my online classes as well. So freezing that particular program works...

I'm planning to get a good corei5 anytime soon.
Re: Fixed! Windows 10 Users: How Do You Stop Windows From Draining Your Data In by dave601: 9:46pm On Jan 28, 2023
truthCoder:

It works well... My laptop was actually misbehaving because of another issue which I've fixed; not the method's fault. I can leave the wifi on now.

The method is good for those with data-hungry jobs, who wouldn't play with bandwidth. Like me, I teach via zoom. So having some funny updates constantly competing with video sessions can cost me the the job altogether.

God bless.

(1) (Reply)

Algorithm Behind Voice Compression And Transfer Over Low-bandwidth Networks / Let Me Teach You How To Design A Website With Html. / My New Android App: Solar System Setup Android App

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.