Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,591 members, 7,812,925 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:44 PM

What Becomes Of Unclaimed Corpses In The Mortuary? ( my experience this morning) - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Becomes Of Unclaimed Corpses In The Mortuary? ( my experience this morning) (2991 Views)

Son Squanders N2m Raised For Father's Burial, Abandons Corpse In Mortuary / Woman Took Her Drunk Husband To A Mortuary To Teach Him A Lesson / My Uncle's Corpse Fights Other Corpses In The Mortuary: What Should We Do? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Becomes Of Unclaimed Corpses In The Mortuary? ( my experience this morning) by KiNg0G: 3:06pm On Jan 18, 2023
I recently lost someone close to me. As usual, I'm expected for visitation every week I went today and to my surprise, someone was around to carry their person, an old man, so the morticians had to dress him I couldn’t look the face properly just a glance while I walked pass but I can tell he’s still fresh probably this rich folks . I asked for my own person which they normally bring out on 2 occasions have been there but today because they were busy the mortician told me to come inside the morgue just opening the door..a single glance where I don't normally see corpse I saw a multitude of people lay down like in a conventional sleeping meeting facing up. I told him point blank I didn't come prepared for this. He should bring my person outside for me which they told me to wait before they finally did.
I narrated this experience to my friend, and he said some people there has been there for more than 10years. Imagine going near a corpse like that with the annoyance with nobody coming to claim them.

So this begs me asking what becomes of unclaimed corpses in the mortuary?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Becomes Of Unclaimed Corpses In The Mortuary? ( my experience this morning) by kestolove95(m): 3:09pm On Jan 18, 2023
They will donate them to medical students for experiment

24 Likes

Re: What Becomes Of Unclaimed Corpses In The Mortuary? ( my experience this morning) by Omihanifa: 3:12pm On Jan 18, 2023
Re: What Becomes Of Unclaimed Corpses In The Mortuary? ( my experience this morning) by Robinmido(m): 3:17pm On Jan 18, 2023
You should have ask those people working at the mortuary. They're the ones that knows the answer

17 Likes

Re: What Becomes Of Unclaimed Corpses In The Mortuary? ( my experience this morning) by OKUCHI11(m): 3:21pm On Jan 18, 2023
Like he said... they'll have to keep it for over ten years because they're sure the owners will one day come back for them... No matter how long... I think there's a legal implication if a corpse is switched or found missing... lawyers over to you people...
Re: What Becomes Of Unclaimed Corpses In The Mortuary? ( my experience this morning) by Shalommy(f): 3:24pm On Jan 18, 2023
Chaii.. cheesy cheesy Double wahala for deadbody! Oh lord have mercy!

3 Likes

Re: What Becomes Of Unclaimed Corpses In The Mortuary? ( my experience this morning) by Asquare84(m): 3:43pm On Jan 18, 2023
after several years that nobody claim the corps, the state ministry of health get a court order and do mass burial.

21 Likes

Re: What Becomes Of Unclaimed Corpses In The Mortuary? ( my experience this morning) by donaldking10: 3:50pm On Jan 18, 2023
kestolove95:

nothing is free in Nigeria.
back then during our cadaver practicals in medical school, our school paid for the corpses.
I think male corpse costs 50k, & females cost 70k.

7 Likes

Re: What Becomes Of Unclaimed Corpses In The Mortuary? ( my experience this morning) by Emmanuel909090: 4:08pm On Jan 18, 2023
We are all nothing.
Re: What Becomes Of Unclaimed Corpses In The Mortuary? ( my experience this morning) by Nduemma12(m): 4:29pm On Jan 18, 2023
Vanity upon vanity
Re: What Becomes Of Unclaimed Corpses In The Mortuary? ( my experience this morning) by Timagex(m): 4:37pm On Jan 18, 2023
Thank God I didn't open this thread at night. embarassed

This was my own experience at a burial job!! shocked shocked grin

https://www.nairaland.com/7390698/what-happened-first-burial-job

2 Likes

Re: What Becomes Of Unclaimed Corpses In The Mortuary? ( my experience this morning) by Foodqueen(f): 5:23pm On Jan 18, 2023
I don't understand. U do go and check on corpse shocked
Re: What Becomes Of Unclaimed Corpses In The Mortuary? ( my experience this morning) by MrDetermined: 6:39pm On Jan 18, 2023
Foodqueen:
I don't understand. U do go and check on corpse shocked

if you deposit a corpse in the mortuary, you are supposed to go at least once a week or two to see how things are, especially if the funeral date is close. if you don't visit and give them money or buy them drinks often, they won't take care of the corpse and if you see it on the day of the funeral you may not recognize it again.

9 Likes

Re: What Becomes Of Unclaimed Corpses In The Mortuary? ( my experience this morning) by pstemma1990: 7:02pm On Jan 18, 2023
If it's in a big mortuary, especially the ones in the city, because of the rate of some of the unclaimed accident victims..

They usually take permission from the hospital management board and conduct mass burial for the unclaimed dead bodies, at least 3 times a year..

Especially the unclaimed accident victims..

6 Likes

Re: What Becomes Of Unclaimed Corpses In The Mortuary? ( my experience this morning) by wiseone28: 7:10pm On Jan 18, 2023
KiNg0G:
I recently lost someone close to me. As usual, I'm expected for visitation every week I went today and to my surprise, someone was around to carry their person, an old man, so the morticians had to dress him I couldn’t look the face properly just a glance while I walked pass but I can tell he’s still fresh probably this rich folks . I asked for my own person which they normally bring out on 2 occasions have been there but today because they were busy the mortician told me to come inside the morgue just opening the door..a single glance where I don't normally see corpse I saw a multitude of people lay down like in a conventional sleeping meeting facing up. I told him point blank I didn't come prepared for this. He should bring my person outside for me which they told me to wait before they finally did.
I narrated this experience to my friend, and he said some people there has been there for more than 10years. Imagine going near a corpse like that with the annoyance with nobody coming to claim them.

Your story would be sweet with pictures

3 Likes

Re: What Becomes Of Unclaimed Corpses In The Mortuary? ( my experience this morning) by Generalwoodz(m): 9:04pm On Jan 18, 2023
X
Re: What Becomes Of Unclaimed Corpses In The Mortuary? ( my experience this morning) by zumbigbo(m): 9:13pm On Jan 18, 2023
donaldking10:

back then during our cadaver practicals in medical school, our school paid for the corpses.

Chai, even death, someone in Naija must cash out.

Sure there must be a japa mentality among corpses sef!

2 Likes

Re: What Becomes Of Unclaimed Corpses In The Mortuary? ( my experience this morning) by BabbanBura(m): 11:45pm On Jan 18, 2023
donaldking10:

In my school they actually apply for them, the state attorney then approvea unclaimed cadavers older than certain age in storage.

Sometimes the legal procedure is reversed when there are too many unclaimed bodies but this is always a very rare occurrence. Bodies are always scarce unlike the likes of the UK and the USA!

2 Likes

Re: What Becomes Of Unclaimed Corpses In The Mortuary? ( my experience this morning) by quinox947: 8:19am On Jan 19, 2023
KiNg0G:

For those corpses that had stayed too long, the hospital gets a court permit for a mass burial. Once it is granted, a mass burial is done.
Re: What Becomes Of Unclaimed Corpses In The Mortuary? ( my experience this morning) by Vijuchoco(f): 8:50am On Jan 19, 2023
Mass burial. I witnessed one somewhere in the south
Re: What Becomes Of Unclaimed Corpses In The Mortuary? ( my experience this morning) by id4sho(m): 9:55am On Jan 19, 2023
Vijuchoco:
Mass burial. I witnessed one somewhere in the south
I dey fear u embarassed
Re: What Becomes Of Unclaimed Corpses In The Mortuary? ( my experience this morning) by id4sho(m): 9:57am On Jan 19, 2023
donaldking10:

Toto wahala , everything about them na cost

1 Like

Re: What Becomes Of Unclaimed Corpses In The Mortuary? ( my experience this morning) by Treasure17(m): 11:09am On Jan 19, 2023
Which we can adopt cremation instead of polluting our land.
Re: What Becomes Of Unclaimed Corpses In The Mortuary? ( my experience this morning) by Vijuchoco(f): 11:43am On Jan 19, 2023
id4sho:

I dey fear u embarassed
Lol.. I was doing my internship in a teaching hospital then o.. grin
Re: What Becomes Of Unclaimed Corpses In The Mortuary? ( my experience this morning) by durasome(m): 12:18pm On Jan 19, 2023
kestolove95:
.donate ka!they sell them to learning institutions for experiments.

1 Like

Re: What Becomes Of Unclaimed Corpses In The Mortuary? ( my experience this morning) by Nobody: 1:53pm On Jan 19, 2023
I just remembered the saying "do you know who I am?"

God have mercy!
Re: What Becomes Of Unclaimed Corpses In The Mortuary? ( my experience this morning) by Lamanii22(f): 2:37pm On Jan 19, 2023
grin grin grin
wiseone28:
Your story would be sweet with pictures
you say what?
Re: What Becomes Of Unclaimed Corpses In The Mortuary? ( my experience this morning) by Uchenna10(m): 7:59pm On Sep 25, 2023
Timagex:
Thank God I didn't open this thread at night. embarassed

This was my own experience at a burial job!! shocked shocked grin

https://www.nairaland.com/7390698/what-happened-first-burial-job

It's night here o... I'm alone in the house...fear want Kee me
Re: What Becomes Of Unclaimed Corpses In The Mortuary? ( my experience this morning) by Timagex(m): 8:52pm On Sep 25, 2023
Uchenna10:

It's night here o... I'm alone in the house...fear want Kee me

Don't be afraid...😎

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Whats The Maximum You Can Spend On Your Wedding / ... / Nigerian Man Jumps Into Fire To Save His Children

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.