Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,957 members, 7,828,378 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:56 AM

South Africa Condemns US - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / South Africa Condemns US (1404 Views)

US President, Joe Biden Condemns Iran's Attack On Isreal / Iraq Condemns US Airstrikes As ‘breach Of Sovereignty', Warns Of Retaliation. / "South Africa Is For All"—Julius Malema Condemns Xenophobic Attacks On Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

South Africa Condemns US by Nobody: 3:17am On Jan 21, 2023
Foreign Minister Naledi Pandor has stated that South Africa warned the United States that the bill seeking to counter Russia's "malign activities" in Africa needs to be trashed because they violate international laws.
"I believe the bill should really be killed because I think it's totally unwarranted. I think it is an intrusion that goes against international law, and we have made this clear to our colleagues in the United States," the minister said in an interview.

The draft legislation was introduced in Congress in April by Rep. Gregory Meeks. It passed the House in May and is awaiting the Senate's vote. If enacted, the bill will direct the Secretary of State to come up with a strategy for countering Russian influence in Africa and holding African governments accountable for aiding Russia's "proxies" through sanctions and other restrictions.

"We even met with the drafter of the initial legislation and indicated the offense which we view this particular proposed piece of legislation. We will continue to advocate for that bill to be torn up and not to proceed to any formal stage," the minister highlighted.

On the issue of the US unilateral sanctions, Pandor noted that her country pointed out to the US that it wants unilateral American sanctions to be reviewed due to their impact on unrelated countries.
"We always have a problem with unilateral sanctions and their impact on many countries that fall outside a particular conflict, so we have indicated to our friends in the United States that we really want them to relook at this imposition of unilateral sanctions, which is often not very helpful a strategy in resolving problems," she said in an interview.

The approach has not worked for Zimbabwe, Venezuela or Cuba, the diplomat argued. She said South Africa might adhere to sanctions where it feels that international or humanitarian law is infringed, "but where we feel that these are merely unilateral impositions and don't have the authority of the United Nations, we do not believe that South Africa is bound by them," she said.

Read

4 Likes

Re: South Africa Condemns US by Minjim: 3:28am On Jan 21, 2023
This bill was proposed in a US House of Congress.
How does that concern Africa?

If we aren't replying on the US for certain supports.

So, some of you want to continue receiving aids from the US while supporting it's enemies claiming you have freedom of choice?
You can only choose one evil at a time

You simply can't eat you cake and still have it.

2 Likes

Re: South Africa Condemns US by Nobody: 3:38am On Jan 21, 2023
Minjim:
This bill was proposed in a US House of Congress.
How does that concern Africa?

If we aren't replying on the US for certain supports.

So, some of you want to continue receiving aids from the US while supporting it's enemies claiming you have freedom of choice?
You can only choose one evil at a time

You simply can't eat you cake and still have it.
If subjecting Africans to neocolonialism is a prerequisite for "US aid",
Nigerians can accept it but South Africa won't.
You need to read about the history of South Africans.
Why do you think Nigerians are flocking to South Africa today?

The US is that type of country that pushes you off the ledge and pretends to be your saviour.

They start fires and pretend to be fire fighters.

8 Likes

Re: South Africa Condemns US by Nobody: 3:58am On Jan 21, 2023
On Tuesday (Jul. 18), admirers of the late Nelson Mandela have shared quotes, photos and images of the leader on what would’ve been his 99th birthday. Today also commemorates Mandela Day, a worldwide celebration of the Nobel Peace Prize winner and his legacy.

The late president of South Africa has been praised time and time again for his resilience and leadership, which hasn’t been adorned by all. One of Madiba’s most iconic and criticized moments came in June 1990, when he returned to the United States after his 27-year prison sentence in South Africa.

During his conversation with veteran news anchor Ted Koppel, Mandela was grilled during the council-meeting style interview in which he was accused ofplaying favorites to America’s rivals like the late Fidel Castro, late Palestine leader Yasser Arafat and late Libyan PM Muammar Gaddafi. With Rev. Jesse Jackson, Harry Belafonte and Sidney Poitier in the crowd, Mandela’s answer brought light to the inception of politics and the United States’ thirst for ultimate power.

“One of the mistakes which some political analysts make is to think their enemies should be our enemies,” he said which was met by applause. “Our attitude towards any country is determined by the attitude of that country to our struggle. Yasser Arafat, Colonel Gaddafi [and] Fidel Castro support our struggle to the hilt. There is no reason whatsoever why we should have any hesitation about hailing their commitment to human rights as they’re being demanded in South Africa. They do not support [the anti-apartheid struggle] only in rhetoric; they are placing resources at our disposal for us to win the struggle. That is the position.”

Re: South Africa Condemns US by Nobody: 9:47am On Jan 21, 2023
Kamikaze drones strike US base

Details here

1 Like

Re: South Africa Condemns US by Minjim: 9:56am On Jan 21, 2023
DebbyParkway:

If subjecting Africans to neocolonialism is a prerequisite for "US aid",
Nigerians can accept it but South Africa won't.
You need to read about the history of South Africans.
Why do you think Nigerians are flocking to South Africa today?

The US is that type of country that pushes you off the ledge and pretends to be your saviour.

They start fires and pretend to be firefighters.

Then go to Russia for your assistance.

I blame our politicians for those Nigerians going to another 3rd World country in search of greener pastures.

I can't leave Nigeria and go to another African country to make a living, for what?

If I'm going to be sending you my taxpayer hard earned money in aids then, My enemy should be your enemy- simple!

SA should tell the US not to send aids to them again instead of all these barkings. You must be living in a fools paradise if you think Russia likes Africa. Russia is only looking for validation anywhere it can buy it

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: South Africa Condemns US by Nobody: 10:01am On Jan 21, 2023
Minjim:

I blame our politicians for those Nigerians going to another 3rd World country in search of greener pastures.

I can't leave Nigeria and go to another African country to make a living, for what?

If I'm going to be sending you my taxpayer hard earned money in aids then, My enemy should be your enemy- simple!

SA should tell the US not to send aids to them again instead of all these barkings
If the need arises, I'll go to Russia or China.
South Africa isn't dependent on US aid.
Is Nigeria dependent on US aid?

7 Likes

Re: South Africa Condemns US by Minjim: 10:39am On Jan 21, 2023
DebbyParkway:

If the need arises, I'll go to Russia or China.
South Africa isn't dependent on US aid.
Is Nigeria dependent on US aid?

Seems your Minister did not share your view.

All African countries get aids from the US annually, even Russia does.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/us-foreign-aid-by-country

3 Likes

Re: South Africa Condemns US by Nobody: 10:49am On Jan 21, 2023
Minjim:

My question was, South Africa isn't dependent on US Aid.
Is Nigeria dependent?
Unproductive financial allocations is an invalid justification for impeding a nation from fulfilling it's international obligations or establishing foreign relations with other countries.
US aid is an unsatisfactory excuse for subservience.

Require
Unable to do without

Contingent on

4 Likes

Re: South Africa Condemns US by Nobody: 11:10am On Jan 21, 2023
South Africa isn't dependent translates to South Africa is not unable to do without.
What about Nigeria?
US aid can be redirected to fix it's own overwhelming domestic issues (Poverty, Poor healthcare, decaying infrastructure and homelessness).

3 Likes

Re: South Africa Condemns US by Nobody: 11:24am On Jan 21, 2023
Burkinabe Protesters Take to The Streets Demanding Departure of French Ambassador, Troops

Details here
Re: South Africa Condemns US by Minjim: 11:38am On Jan 21, 2023
DebbyParkway:

My question was, South Africa isn't dependent on US Aid.
Is Nigeria dependent?
Unproductive financial allocations is an invalid justification for impeding a nation from fulfilling it's international obligations or establishing foreign relations with other countries.
US aid is an unsatisfactory excuse for subservience.

Require
Unable to do without

Contingent on

If you can do without it, then reject it when next they send it.

If you keep collecting it, that only shows you're dependent on it.

Stop playing with word.

Even your Russia relies on the U.S assistance
Re: South Africa Condemns US by Nobody: 11:43am On Jan 21, 2023
Minjim:

Stop playing with word.

South Africa deems these funds to be reparations for the damages done in apartheid South Africa.
The US supported and sponsored apartheid in South Africa while crushing resistance movements.
The apartheid in South Africa shares similar convictions and mannerisms of Nazism.
The anti apartheid freedom fighters eventually emerged victorious with aid and support from the USSR (Russia).

6 Likes

Re: South Africa Condemns US by Nobody: 11:52am On Jan 21, 2023
Any individual with your thirst will sabotage his country's interests for paltry unproductive US aids and 2 loaves of bread.

South Africa isn't forcing neither is she on her knees or mandating the US to support her financially.
South Africa has rejected neocolonialism and the US can take the initiative to cease these payments that your life depends on.

4 Likes

Re: South Africa Condemns US by Nobody: 11:57am On Jan 21, 2023
Minjim:

Stop playing with word.

DebbyParkway:

South Africa deems these funds to be reparations for the damages done in apartheid South Africa.
The US supported and sponsored apartheid in South Africa while crushing resistance movements.
The apartheid in South Africa shares similar convictions and mannerisms of Nazism.
The anti apartheid freedom fighters eventually emerged victorious with aid and support from the USSR (Russia).
DebbyParkway:
Any individual with your thirst will sabotage his country's interests for paltry unproductive US aids and 2 loaves of bread.

South Africa isn't forcing neither is she on her knees or mandating the US to support her financially.
South Africa has rejected neocolonialism and the US can take the initiative to cease these payments that your life depends on.
For your convenience, please see attached.

Re: South Africa Condemns US by Minjim: 12:52pm On Jan 21, 2023
The US was the first to abolish slave trade even when Africans were still selling themselves to the whites.

If SA seek repatriation, it should be from the Uk, not the U S.
The US never supported apartheid in SA. The most vocal international condemnation came from the UK and US.

You guys are lucky the whites stayed that long. You blacks have now made a mess of all their progress
The US isn't father Christmas.
It won't be giving aids if nobody is there to receive.

DebbyParkway:

For your convenience, please see attached.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: South Africa Condemns US by Nobody: 4:33pm On Jan 21, 2023
Minjim:
The US was the first to abolish slave trade even when Africans were still selling themselves to the whites.

If SA seek repatriation, it should be from the Uk, not the U S.
The US never supported apartheid in SA. The most vocal international condemnation came from the UK and US.

You guys are lucky the whites stayed that long. You blacks have now made a mess of all their progress
The US isn't father Christmas.
It won't be giving aids if nobody is there to receive.

If you took some time to read the article you attached, you would have been better educated.
How did you miss
"Despite rhetorical opposition to apartheid, the United States continued to block sanctions against South Africa at the United Nations in the 1960s and the 1970s."
The US ending slavery on paper was a result of the American civil war.
America practices a rebranded model of modern day slavery.
The US touts itself as a country that fights terrorism yet it arms and sponsors various terrorist cells across the globe.
Africans had always engage in slave trade before the arrival of the westerners, albeit, with modesty. This is in contrast to the crude and barbaric form of slavery that was introduced by the West.
I attached the meaning of rhetorical for your convenience.
That information was also culled from wikipedia.

Rhetoric = language designed to have a persuasive or impressive effect on its audience, but often regarded as lacking in sincerity or meaningful content.

3 Likes

Re: South Africa Condemns US by Nobody: 5:17pm On Jan 21, 2023
History may explain South Africa's refusal to condemn Russia's invasion of Ukraine

Details here

"Further, reality has many dimensions. And in this case history is relevant. To summarise, the ANC remembers who were its allies during the Cold War, and who denounced it as terrorists."
The West/US labeled the ANC (Mandela's party) and South Africa's current governing party as terrorists due to their fight against apartheid.

"After the apartheid regime was banned the ANC in 1960 it received aid from the Soviet Union for its exiled mission in the fight to liberate South Africa from minority white rule. This aid exceeded that from the pan-African Organisation of African Unity- now the African Union - or anyone else."

"By 1988, sensing that victory over apartheid was coming, Moscow supplemented training in guerilla warfare with training in conventional warfare, including naval and air force training."
Re: South Africa Condemns US by Nobody: 5:23pm On Jan 21, 2023
"The relationship between South Africa and the US, especially, has a complex history. Not least because US governments designated ANC leaders fighting the apartheid regime as terrorists. There is also memory of the CIA'a unsavoury role in Africa."
The US equally designated the Wagner PMC group as terrorists.
Wagner must be doing something right.

Re: South Africa Condemns US by Nobody: 5:40pm On Jan 21, 2023
GeorgeFloyd99:

Burkinabe Protesters Take To The Streets Demanding Departure Of France

more

Re: South Africa Condemns US by Minjim: 6:55pm On Jan 21, 2023
GeorgeFloyd99:

If you took some time to read the article you attached, you would have been better educated.
How did you miss
"Despite rhetorical opposition to apartheid, the United States continued to block sanctions against South Africa at the United Nations in the 1960s and the 1970s."
The US ending slavery on paper was a result of the American civil war.
America practices a rebranded model of modern day slavery.
The US touts itself as a country that fights terrorism yet it arms and sponsors various terrorist cells across the globe.
Africans had always engage in slave trade before the arrival of the westerners, albeit, with modesty. This is in contrast to the crude and barbaric form of slavery that was introduced by the West.
I attached the meaning of rhetorical for your convenience.
That information was also culled from wikipedia.

Rhetoric = language designed to have a persuasive or impressive effect on its audience, but often regarded as lacking in sincerity or meaningful content.

Is Xenophobia not worst than apartheid?
You people are worst ruling yourselves than the white left you
Re: South Africa Condemns US by Nobody: 7:02pm On Jan 21, 2023
Minjim:

You people? You implied you were Nigerian.
Re: South Africa Condemns US by Nobody: 7:04pm On Jan 21, 2023
Minjim:

SA should tell the US not to send aids to them again instead of all these barkings. You must be living in a fools paradise if you think Russia likes Africa. Russia is only looking for validation anywhere it can buy it
Minjim:

You implied you were Nigerian and you have a streak of making contradictory statements.
Re: South Africa Condemns US by Nobody: 7:40pm On Jan 21, 2023
Minjim:

Xenophobia is wrong.
What do you think about the Nepotism and Tribalism in Nigeria?
What's your opinion on the racism in Western countries?
Racism and rebranded slavery is deeply entrenched in the US system.
The US subjected the indigenous people of North America to genocide.
The indigenous people of North America are still exposed to systemic genocide.
Their communities are impoverished, undeveloped and they lack basis amenities.

The western settlers in the US took advantage of years of slavery to gather generational wealth. This granted them a privileged status over the race they had oppressed. This privilege is exploited to keep other minorities under continuous oppression and exploitation.

The US economy is shrinking, they're scrambling to scrape weapons together from all over the globe for thier Nazi project in Ukraine.

Also, you said

"You people are worst ruling yourselves than the white left you"

That would be true if most African nations were actually independent and sovereign.
Most African nations (until now) were directly/indirectly influenced and subservient to the West/US (neocolonialism). South Africa isn't one of those countries

South Africa has leaders like the late Mandela who believes that the black man is very capable of directing his own affairs.
I share the same belief as Mandela.
Re: South Africa Condemns US by BentizilL: 7:50pm On Jan 21, 2023
Minjim:

Russia doesn't from US.. cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: South Africa Condemns US by opamoses1: 8:16pm On Jan 21, 2023
BentizilL:

🤡

Re: South Africa Condemns US by bassdow: 8:20pm On Jan 21, 2023
GeorgeFloyd99:
History may explain South Africa's refusal to condemn Russia's invasion of Ukraine

Details here

"Further, reality has many dimensions. And in this case history is relevant. To summarise, the ANC remembers who were its allies during the Cold War, and who denounced it as terrorists."
The West/US labeled the ANC (Mandela's party) and South Africa's current governing party as terrorists due to their fight against apartheid.

"After the apartheid regime was banned the ANC in 1960 it received aid from the Soviet Union for its exiled mission in the fight to liberate South Africa from minority white rule. This aid exceeded that from the pan-African Organisation of African Unity- now the African Union - or anyone else."

"By 1988, sensing that victory over apartheid was coming, Moscow supplemented training in guerilla warfare with training in conventional warfare, including naval and air force training."

Don't also forget, South Africa is a member of the BRICS

1 Like 1 Share

Re: South Africa Condemns US by Nobody: 8:21pm On Jan 21, 2023
BentizilL:

Please ignore this poster, he has nothing objective to say.
He's only throwing tantrums out of frustration.

1 Like

Re: South Africa Condemns US by Nobody: 8:25pm On Jan 21, 2023
bassdow:

Don't also forget, South Africa is a member of the BRICS
Exactly and the benefits of BRICS outweighs anything the US is able to muster/offer.
Re: South Africa Condemns US by opamoses1: 8:28pm On Jan 21, 2023
Minjim:

Imagine South Africa without free HIV drugs from the USA. Those South Africans do not like to use condoms. Lol.

Re: South Africa Condemns US by Nobody: 8:29pm On Jan 21, 2023
Imagine an Africa without HIV/AIDS (A virus nurtured by western scientists).

1 Like

Re: South Africa Condemns US by opamoses1: 8:30pm On Jan 21, 2023
ElijahMcClain:
Imagine an Africa without HIV/AIDS (A virus nurtured by western scientists).
If you people weren't eating monkeys and fucking gorilla. LMAO

Just like South Africa being the country with highest rate of HIV infection in Africa, Russia is also leading in Europe. Both countries don't like to use condoms.

🤡

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Berlusconi-The Italian Mafia. / From One President To Another: Jerry Rawlings On The Death Of John Attah Mills / South African Woman Jailed In Nigeria For Drug Trafficking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.