Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,288 members, 7,815,496 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:25 PM

Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related - Travel (26) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related (52196 Views)

Getting Into The UK Property Market. How To? Teach Us How To? Get In Here / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (39) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Estroller: 8:51pm On Jan 12
deept:

New build ba?!!! i doubt you'll get away with it for an old property. The seller would have informed the council that they are no longer responsible for the tax and would give them your details. Councils can give concessions and collect no tax on empty house for a period, not indefinitely, but i think the owner would have to apply for it. In some councils the council tax for empty houses are even more than those that are occupied to discourage empty homes.

Most likely the reason. Mine was an old build, council sent bill for CT from completion date and I still paid for my my rented house up until we moved.
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by seunoj: 8:28am On Jan 13
New build vs Old build?
Which is better from a first time buyer and not investor perspective
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Lexusgs430: 8:30am On Jan 13
seunoj:
New build vs Old build?

It's a matter of preference....... I prefer older buildings.......

For new builds, I think government offers incentives to FTB........ That might be a pull factor......
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Solumtoya: 11:44am On Jan 13
seunoj:
New build vs Old build?

Age old argument that won't ever be agreed on.

From my experience, I can tell you with my chest that for a Nigerian Immigrant, First time buyer; New Build is way better if you can afford it. They're not very cheap in some locations, but boy are they worth it! I always intended to write a comparison but it would look too biased because the pros of New Builds will look so long!

2 Likes

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by profemebee(m): 12:01pm On Jan 13
bro, i have been searching for new build within the LISA max cap of £450k and it is hard to find because i need it to be close to London cos of work

I wish the LISA max cap was increased..

What areas outside London can one research one that isn't far from London commute for work??

Solumtoya:

From my experience, I can tell you with my chest that for a Nigerian Immigrant, First time buyer; New Build is way better if you can afford it. They're not very cheap in some locations, but boy are they worth it! I always intended to write a comparison but it would look too biased because the pros of New Builds will look so long!
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by profemebee(m): 12:01pm On Jan 13
thanks for all the responses..

I ask a lot of questions.. pls bear with me.. e joooo ooo..

smiley
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Solumtoya: 12:23pm On Jan 13
profemebee:
bro, i have been searching for new build within the LISA max cap of £450k and it is hard to find because i need it to be close to London cos of work

I wish the LISA max cap was increased..

What areas outside London can one research one that isn't far from London commute for work??

What's your definition of "far from London"?
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by profemebee(m): 12:41pm On Jan 13
lol.. like 1hr 30mins max by train and £25 per day transport cost max

Solumtoya:

What's your definition of "far from London"?
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by seunoj: 3:26pm On Jan 13
Solumtoya:

I agree with you 💯. I have been doing some analysis lately and the info favours new build like u described. For an investor, old build all the way.

1 Like

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Solumtoya: 3:57pm On Jan 13
profemebee:

You should have so many options. A lot actually, you just have to be creative with your search. Eg. Kent, Luton, etc.

If you don't mind spending a little more on transport, you can even check Milton Keynes.

With 400k, you can get a lot in the above mentioned areas.

Some people go as far as Bedford, Northampton, Rugby, Peterborough and other "Commuter Towns" as they're called. In these, 350k will get you a mansion, lool. You'd be in London in an hour but you'll spend like £40 to £60 daily on transport.
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Estroller: 5:00pm On Jan 13
profemebee:

For the commute, the Midlands, you'll be spoilt for choice, don't know about the transport cost though.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by mex551(m): 7:45pm On Jan 13
Estroller:

For the commute, the Midlands, you'll be spoilt for choice, don't know about the transport cost though.
train from Coventry is expensive ohh. National express coach return ticket is about £14. But be ready to leave pool meadow coach station by 4.45am to get to Victoria coach station by 8am

1 Like

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Estroller: 9:28pm On Jan 13
mex551:
train from Coventry is expensive ohh. National express coach return ticket is about £14. But be ready to leave pool meadow coach station by 4.45am to get to Victoria coach station by 8am

Coventry is just one out of many in the region, as for transportation cost, I really don't know and I alluded to that in my earlier post.
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Ticha: 10:05pm On Jan 13
profemebee:

Email me and I'll send you my London spreadsheet. It details all the towns and cities within a 90 minute commute into the London mainline stations. We ended up living in St Neots. You will have to increase your transport cost but that can be offset with the house buying costs.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by solveabode(m): 6:27am On Jan 14
Estroller:

Taylor Wimpey currently owns the freehold but has agreed or will agree to transfer the freehold to another entity when the last unit in the development is sold, the new entity will now be the one to collect your ground rent. So In both cases you will remain a leaseholder. Best to avoid leaseholds if you can, generally difficult to do with flats and apartments but much easier with houses new build or not.

Just call it Keyholder. Cos you will be holding key for the third party.
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by solveabode(m): 8:43am On Jan 14
zeke100:
TESTIMONY TIME 😁

COMPLETION DONE AND KEY IN HAND

Barclays 5.4% 10% deposit with 2 years in the UK.

It will be ungrateful not to appreciate all the knowledge, nudge shared on this platform. As a silent reader for 2 years, following keenly, I appreciate everyone contributing to the topic.

Special thanks to Lexusgs430, taking his time to reply messages when contacted and even enlightening me with scenarios over the phone.

To anyone hesitating, It is possible.

Congratulations.... It is my turn to testify.

1 Like

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Lexusgs430: 8:49am On Jan 14
Solumtoya:

I beg to disagree....... How would you want to compare proper blocks vs exterior bricks & plasterboard + wood ......🤣😄
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Lexusgs430: 8:50am On Jan 14
seunoj:

I agree with you 💯. I have been doing some analysis lately and the info favours new build like u described. For an investor, old build all the way.

Why comparing wood vs blocks.....😁😄
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Zahra29: 12:13pm On Jan 14
seunoj:

I think this is the other way round - new builds are usually sought after for investment while old builds are more desirable as family/forever homes. In the south of England at least.

Although there are lots of areas being developed in places like Kent and MK where the housing stock is all new builds, so there isn't really a choice in the matter.
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Zahra29: 12:55pm On Jan 14
seunoj:
New build vs Old build?

Older builds are generally more highly regarded and sought after, they are seen as more attractive and solid - large and/or bay windows, high ceilings, period features, generous room sizes, garden plots and loft spaces etc usually attract a higher premium, also because older housing stock is limited in number.

Newer builds are suitable for first time buyers as there are usually financial incentives from the seller and government schemes, making them more affordable and an easier way to get onto the housing ladder. The quality depends heavily on the building contractor - some are exclusive and built to a high spec, but many are just put up quickly (plasterboard everywhere as Lexus said lol), overpriced ,lots of snagging issues and lacking character. They are also usually part of a housing development / estate which can be off putting for many as the houses can be packed very closely together and thus very overlooked.

On the plus side, new builds adhere to the latest building standards and regulations and are usually more energy efficient.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Solumtoya: 2:32pm On Jan 14
Lexusgs430:

I beg to disagree....... How would you want to compare proper blocks vs exterior bricks & plasterboard + wood ......🤣😄

Ah you need to update that information. I was shocked too when I saw the process of the newer houses being built in my development. It's actually exterior bricks, proper blocks in the middle, then plasterboard. Inner walls are just wood and plasterboard, I think.

You can't imagine the thermal insulation this gives the home

2 Likes

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Estroller: 4:02pm On Jan 14
Solumtoya:

Ah you need to update that information. I was shocked too when I saw the process of the newer houses being built in my development. It's actually exterior bricks, proper blocks in the middle, then plasterboard. Inner walls are just wood and plasterboard, I think.

You can't imagine the thermal insulation this gives the home

Of course external walls will be blocks and bricks, the wood/plasterboard reference from Lexusgs430 was actually for the inner walls/partitions. I be old build advocate too, so maybe my bias is shining through. 😁
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Solumtoya: 4:24pm On Jan 14
Estroller:

Of course external walls will be blocks and bricks, the wood/plasterboard reference from Lexusgs430 was actually for the inner walls/partitions. I be old build advocate too, so maybe my bias is shining through. 😁

You want to drag me into this academic exercise of new build vs old build comparison. For a Nigerian who just entered UK, there will be little appeal for old builds. But Brits love Old Build and Lexusgs430 and y'all are now oynibos so... But I will never understand it o cheesy

Most people that lash New Builds have never lived in one. My friend who loved Old Build moved from his Old Build to a New Build and he was so impressed with the Efficiency, peace of mind, quality and overall "fresh air" (pun intended).

Sometimes I see it like Island vs Mainland. Those in the Mainland always bash Island but later on, many of them move to Island and never go back while people hardly move from Island to Mainland despite all the Island wahala.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by seunoj: 4:35pm On Jan 14
Lexusgs430:

Why comparing wood vs blocks.....😁😄

Hmmmnnnn
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by mohtunrahyor(f): 4:54pm On Jan 14
Solumtoya:

Not hidden but little costs here and there that could add up. The only major one really is the Solicitor's fee which is like £1.5k to £3k. With a New build, you have to furnish, etc depending on what the Builders are willing to do or not do. With an Old build, you might have to fix a few things.

If you're like me, I would say "no think am, just put head". If I realised I would be spending so much, I would have waited for another 1 year to save up but it was better I didn't know cos I have spent so much but just one day at a time.

I have put down below some of the extra costs for me and I didn't include things like Sofa, Transport for the various times I had to go to the site; and numerous purchases to furnish the new house. Most of these may not apply if it's a house that's already furnished. The Upgrades are things like fridge, spotlights, extra taps and lights, turf in the garden, etc.

Hi Solumtoya, I would like to know if the £370 you paid for the snagging list includes VAT and if you can recommend the company. Thanks
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Solumtoya: 5:17pm On Jan 14
mohtunrahyor:

Hi Solumtoya, I would like to know if the £370 you paid for the snagging list includes VAT and if you can recommend the company. Thanks

Yes, VAT incl, however, the Snagging Inspector you use depends on your location. I'd advise you use a Comparison website like CompareMyMove or just google Snagging Inspectors near you, then check their reviews online. Better still, get a recommendation from Home owners around.

I used Snagbuddy Ltd. They tried, won't say they were fantastic but they got the work done and were highly recommended by my neighbours.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Lexusgs430: 7:14pm On Jan 14
Solumtoya:

You want to drag me into this academic exercise of new build vs old build comparison. For a Nigerian who just entered UK, there will be little appeal for old builds. But Brits love Old Build and Lexusgs430 and y'all are now oynibos so... But I will never understand it o cheesy

Most people that lash New Builds have never lived in one. My friend who loved Old Build moved from his Old Build to a New Build and he was so impressed with the Efficiency, peace of mind, quality and overall "fresh air" (pun intended).

Sometimes I see it like Island vs Mainland. Those in the Mainland always bash Island but later on, many of them move to Island and never go back while people hardly move from Island to Mainland despite all the Island wahala.

I have lived in a new build property..... Once NHBC insurance was about to expire, sold it and moved into a proper house.........😭🤣😁

1 Like

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Solumtoya: 7:37pm On Jan 14
Lexusgs430:

I have lived in a new build property..... Once NHBC insurance was about to expire, sold it and moved into a proper house.........😭🤣😁

Now you're talking. You enjoyed the sweetest 10 years with warranty till the house was becoming Old (Build) and ran away. grin
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Kunleop: 7:58pm On Jan 14
Please o guys

For we potential future buyers, which one will you advice us to go for? New builds here is more expensive than old builds and we dont want to keep waiting untill we are able to afford.

Kindly advice us please
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Zahra29: 9:49pm On Jan 14
Solumtoya:

Now you're talking. You enjoyed the sweetest 10 years with warranty till the house was becoming Old (Build) and ran away. grin

I wouldn't consider that an old build. It's still a newish build, just with elapsed NHBC.

Old builds generally refer to houses built more than 50 years ago, such as the popular 1930s era, 1970s etc.Period properties usually refer to houses built before circa 1920 e.g. Victorian, Edwardian

2 Likes

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by seyejohn94: 10:31pm On Jan 14
profemebee:
thanks for the responses...

That location thing ehnnn.. this research of a thing is deep because one has to consider proximity to London cos of work, Kids' school, community. etc.

Also, the rates i'm seeing.. hopefully being married to a Brit brings the rates down a bit for me.. we earn way over £100k but the problem is that LISA rates cap at 450k for any house you intend to use the LISA funds for..

How many houses with minimum 3bedrooms can be gotten around that? We can't go too far from London because of work ..

This is a real issue. Lisa is not for everyone. Imagine having to lose 10k because you have a good deal above 450k.
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Zahra29: 10:49pm On Jan 14
profemebee:
thanks for the responses...

That location thing ehnnn.. this research of a thing is deep because one has to consider proximity to London cos of work, Kids' school, community. etc.

Also, the rates i'm seeing.. hopefully being married to a Brit brings the rates down a bit for me.. we earn way over £100k but the problem is that LISA rates cap at 450k for any house you intend to use the LISA funds for..

How many houses with minimum 3bedrooms can be gotten around that? We can't go too far from London because of work ..

You're married to a citizen plus you have a very good household income - you have more options ,for example you should be able to access a 5% deposit mortgage which under the govt scheme covers houses up to £600k. Speak to a whole of market broker...

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (39) (Reply)

I'm Thinking Of Relocating To Dubai For Greener Pasture / Pictures Of Iyana Iba Interchange And Flyover Bridge In Lagos / Five Undergraduates Die As Benz Runs Under Stationary Truck In Delta

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.