Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,540 members, 7,827,015 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:24 AM

Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related - Travel (39) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related (53441 Views)

Getting Into The UK Property Market. How To? Teach Us How To? Get In Here / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (36) (37) (38) (39) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by AOI2016: 3:43pm On Apr 28
Hi Guys,
I like to ask a question. My wife and i are almost 2years in the uk,we are planning on getting a mortgage by next year April, and we are hoping we would have saved £20k for deposit.
My question is at what point do I need to start speaking to mortgage broker?.
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Lexusgs430: 7:03pm On Apr 28
AOI2016:
Hi Guys,
I like to ask a question. My wife and i are almost 2years in the uk,we are planning on getting a mortgage by next year April, and we are hoping we would have saved £20k for deposit.
My question is at what point do I need to start speaking to mortgage broker?.

If you're under 40, put money into a LISA account (assuming you want to buy a new build)...... Start speaking to a broker/lender when your financial obligations are 90% ready).......

3 Likes

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by mex551(m): 10:40am On Apr 29
Jamesclooney:
Hello everyone?

Getting conflicting reports about Coventry being a ghetto/rough city to live in. Especially Holbrook area towards…Coventry Ricoh Arena (cv7 etc.). Any thoughts on buying in this area? It’s between a Coventry and Rugby. Key Factors…good place to raise a family
. This Coventry that I have been living for the past three years ? Na waooo. Even London get plenty ghetto. Although I don’t get what you mean by ghetto

1 Like

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Jamesclooney: 11:04am On Apr 29
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by D1uncle: 12:33pm On Apr 29
Lexusgs430:

If you're under 40, put money into a LISA account (assuming you want to buy a new build)...... Start speaking to a broker/lender when your financial obligations are 90% ready).......
Does it mean we cannot buy old build with LISA fund?

1 Like

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Lexusgs430: 12:48pm On Apr 29
D1uncle:

Does it mean we cannot buy old build with LISA fund?

Sorry I had a misconception about the LISA conditions........

You can actually buy an old build with LISA.......

1 Like

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Olaryeankarh(m): 3:11pm On Apr 30
Lexusgs430:

Sorry I had a misconception about the LISA conditions........

You can actually buy an old build with LISA.......

Right chief! You probably wanted to say one can only use LISA towards their first home (single buyer or joint).... and no more than 450k.
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Jamesclooney: 6:51pm On May 05
Hi all

Is £195 annual service charge for a new build excessive ? Does it mean it would have to be paid in perpetuity? Is there any developer that doesn’t charge this fee? Thanks
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Goodenoch: 7:01pm On May 05
Jamesclooney:
Hi all

Is £195 annual service charge for a new build excessive ? Does it mean it would have to be paid in perpetuity? Is there any developer that doesn’t charge this fee? Thanks

Not excessive. Some properties have twice that. Developers usually grade the fees upward depending on the price of the house so the larger and more expensive houses in an estate will pay more. 195 is lower than most I’ve seen, personally. It has usually been between 200 and close to 400.

Yes it rises annually in perpetuity, and it can be increased by the management company (the devs usually contract a separate company). Usually your agreement will state that the estate residents can take over management or hand it over to another company after some time but from reports, that’s usually difficult and most states don’t bother because of the hassle.

1 Like

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Peerielass: 8:02pm On May 05
toms55:

Chief , how does this LISA works? Say i intend to save up to 4k P.A do i have to save the 4k at once or i make a monthly contribution towards the £4k and which LISA account do you recommend

If you have the £4k available to put in a LISA, best to put it at the start of the tax year so it will accrue interest for the whole tax year rather than drip feeding the LISA.

1 Like

Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Jamesclooney: 11:07pm On May 05
Goodenoch:

Not excessive. Some properties have twice that. Developers usually grade the fees upward depending on the price of the house so the larger and more expensive houses in an estate will pay more. 195 is lower than most I’ve seen, personally. It has usually been between 200 and close to 400.

Yes it rises annually in perpetuity, and it can be increased by the management company (the devs usually contract a separate company). Usually your agreement will state that the estate residents can take over management or hand it over to another company after some time but from reports, that’s usually difficult and most states don’t bother because of the hassle.

Thanks
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Tolzeal(m): 10:40pm On May 08
Goodenoch:

Is that ground rent or really annual service charge?
Re: Living In The UK: Property,Mortgage And Related by Goodenoch: 8:20am On May 09
Tolzeal:

Is that ground rent or really annual service charge?

Service charges for maintenance of common areas around the estate like playgrounds, etc. Many times, councils will refuse to adopt roads and other spaces in the estate as well for a variety of reasons so they'll need to be maintained by the residents.

For houses, there won't be ground rent since they are freehold.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (36) (37) (38) (39) (Reply)

Lekki Garden, Lagos Flooded After Heavy Rain (Photos, Video) / The World's Largest Cruise Ship Almost Ready To Set Sail | See People Reactions. / Kids Playing On 3rd Mainland Bridge After Being Shut (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.