Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,737 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:39 PM

Nairaland Civil Engineers Come In Here Please - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Nairaland Civil Engineers Come In Here Please (13625 Views)

Nairaland Civil Engineers Who Are Already Making It Big / Benue, Kogi, Plateau Pay Civil Servants High Despite Poor Revenue / “I Slay In My Military Uniform Just The Same Way I Slay In My Civil Wear” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Civil Engineers Come In Here Please by Sonnobax15(m): 9:37pm On Jan 21, 2023
grin
Mehnnnnn, this thread just reminded me that I once upon a time studied civil engineering as a course during my OND days sad

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland Civil Engineers Come In Here Please by BluntCrazeMan: 9:39pm On Jan 21, 2023
Ok Naa
Re: Nairaland Civil Engineers Come In Here Please by BluntCrazeMan: 9:39pm On Jan 21, 2023
Sonnobax15:
grin
Mehnnnnn, this thread just reminded me that I once upon a time studied civil engineering as a course during my OND days sad
You're into what now??
Re: Nairaland Civil Engineers Come In Here Please by GloriousGbola: 9:39pm On Jan 21, 2023
liver123:
Good evening civil engineers in this place. I have this job offer to be a site engineer and supervisor on bridge construction in one village in my state which is to last for period of three month. The issue now is that I don't have experience on bridge construction, the only area I have experience as a site engineer is building construction and I don't want to Bleep up at all as the man want to use this work to test my competency. Please engineers who have experience in this area should please come in and brief me please. If possible I can get picture and video I will really appreciate. Thanks

in every project there is often one person who is really doing the work. it may be the client engineer, it may be the contractor engineer, it may be the site foreman, it may be the consultant

if the person building the bridge knows what he is doing you will just be there to take notes . if he doesn't then there is a problem

the proper question is - can you read drawings, can you read specifications? can you read BOQs? project schedules?

if the project has detailed construction documentation, then the first step is for you to go through the drawings and other documents THOROUGHLY.
this is a large part of what supervision is about. assuming the client has prepared detailed and comprehensive documents - it is for you to read them thoroughly and understand them and then enforce them

what is the specified concrete mix?
how many days to cure? what is the size of reinforcement? is the sand river sharp sand?
what is the thickness of blinding?
what is the proposed waterproofing?

also note that supervising can be a DANGEROUS JOB and you MUST have the emotional intelligence to understand EXACTLY what is really going on. i have had different contractors attack my guys in the field because they were being called out on corner cutting. i have had contractors who are friends with the ogas at the top fk up and that was where it ended

7 Likes

Re: Nairaland Civil Engineers Come In Here Please by Bigseven(m): 9:40pm On Jan 21, 2023
grin
shortgun:
You didn't tell us what you studied in school.
Re: Nairaland Civil Engineers Come In Here Please by Starships4u(m): 9:41pm On Jan 21, 2023
liver123:
OK

Make dem never r collect JOB from yhu oh....
Why sending precise location??
How does that help in advising yhu??

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Civil Engineers Come In Here Please by Conciergeofcrim: 9:41pm On Jan 21, 2023
liver123:
OK
Ode,he wants to hijack your job

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Civil Engineers Come In Here Please by Pnorh(f): 9:42pm On Jan 21, 2023
Once you have an experienced foreman, and you can interpret design you’re good to go, is it a deck on pile bridge or pedestrian bridge??

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Civil Engineers Come In Here Please by President2001(m): 9:43pm On Jan 21, 2023
If you have idea of column you have got it
Re: Nairaland Civil Engineers Come In Here Please by Bigseven(m): 9:43pm On Jan 21, 2023
liver123:
Good evening civil engineers in this place. I have this job offer to be a site engineer and supervisor on bridge construction in one village in my state which is to last for period of three month. The issue now is that I don't have experience on bridge construction, the only area I have experience as a site engineer is building construction and I don't want to Bleep up at all as the man want to use this work to test my competency. Please engineers who have experience in this area should please come in and brief me please. If possible I can get picture and video I will really appreciate. Thanks
in construction we don’t manage resources because any substandard work will lead to lost of lives and destinies so adhere strictly to first comment instructions. REMEMBER A GOOD NAME IS BETTER THAN SILVER AND GOLD. build your name. We are fixing this county and it has started with you already. My hearty cheers to you.

5 Likes

Re: Nairaland Civil Engineers Come In Here Please by Sonnobax15(m): 9:44pm On Jan 21, 2023
BluntCrazeMan:
You're into what now??
My keke particulars sure pass that my OND result I swear grin. Don't worry bro... just pray make labour market no show you wetin e don show us pass before.

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland Civil Engineers Come In Here Please by Edipet(m): 9:45pm On Jan 21, 2023
liver123:
my elder bro is a registered civil engineer with COREN he can help, he his also a consultant. I am a mechanical engineer with much civil engineering experience. I can help you out with some quality control test. If the location is closer to mine

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Civil Engineers Come In Here Please by Oowel(m): 9:46pm On Jan 21, 2023
Bridge has quite important factors to consider regardless your experience on building construction, you gave no hint of the area or terrain which is a very vital factor, well get some lessons on bridge construction or still get someone that's experienced on it to guide when ever you're in doubt. study the drawings and BEME (bill of engineering measurements and evaluation) if available to you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Civil Engineers Come In Here Please by Edipet(m): 9:46pm On Jan 21, 2023
Sonnobax15:
grin
what are you doing now
Re: Nairaland Civil Engineers Come In Here Please by pfadom: 9:47pm On Jan 21, 2023
There is no crime in requesting for the service of a competent bridge engineer. Else, you and by extension your company are on your way down.

Safety, durability and economy are key for any constructed infrastructure.

Do not gamble.
Re: Nairaland Civil Engineers Come In Here Please by semitunde: 9:48pm On Jan 21, 2023
It depends on the type of "bridge" being constructed. Sometimes a simple box culvert is referred to as a bridge over here. Construction of a culvert is as simple as any other reinforced concrete construction complete with the appropriate quality checks.
Re: Nairaland Civil Engineers Come In Here Please by Lionmachala(m): 9:48pm On Jan 21, 2023
kennisman:

If I may ask, what type of bridge are you constructing. Cable-stay, cantilever, suspension or just normal beam or truss?

Dear, u are right on this. And I wish he can listen to u.. cus i Guess u experience... Just like me
Re: Nairaland Civil Engineers Come In Here Please by PROPEACE: 9:50pm On Jan 21, 2023
kalu61:
Get a freelance Engineer in road construction for guidance or look for a road construction firm around your city to put you in the know.

Or better still get a foreman there to get the work done.
Foreman to construct a bridge? Must you guys always contribute to every discourse?

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Civil Engineers Come In Here Please by PROPEACE: 9:52pm On Jan 21, 2023
DDfruitful:
It's all simple, get an experienced foreman since you can read design very well and get to work
An engineer doesn't know how to get the job done, instead of advising him to get an experienced engineer, you said he should get a foreman. Shay you see what is wrong with our country?

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Civil Engineers Come In Here Please by ScamHunter: 9:54pm On Jan 21, 2023
What you and the contractor is doing is unprofessional. You should never accept a structural assignment that you do not have the proper skill to execute. How do you ensure that the bridge has appropriate strength or that load on it would be uniformly distributed without practical knowledge? You'll be risking lives at all the stages and span of the bridge if you end up with a brittle structure. Remember that ceramics would never warn you before failure. I suggest that you liaise with an experienced bridge engineer to supervise it. There are many junior engineers that you can reach out to in established construction companies.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Civil Engineers Come In Here Please by HausaIgboYoruba: 9:54pm On Jan 21, 2023
Following
Re: Nairaland Civil Engineers Come In Here Please by blaise26abj(m): 9:59pm On Jan 21, 2023
1. Do you have a design (drawings )? Saying a bridge could be wrong . Could just be a culvert . If you do share please . If not insist on getting it done .
2. A culvert is easier and pretty straight forward to do if you can interpret drawings . That’s what makes you a civil engineer .
3. No one will “test” you with an actual bridge unless he wants to kill his village people .

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Civil Engineers Come In Here Please by bomsilaga(m): 10:25pm On Jan 21, 2023
You just have to learn and learn.
Bridge construction involves a lot of tiny bits and pieces.

Assuming a Concrete Bridge

You need knowledge in the following whether you are the main engineer or in training:
Calibrate piles for driving
Reinforcement details interpretation and fabrication - bridge reinforcement can be tricky. Pay attention to burst bars and pile/pile cap connections. Also read up making helical stirrups
Joints and Compaction within abutments
Expansion and isolation joints best practice
You need retaining wall knowledge for the abutment walls
If very swampy consider a geotextile material.

Try not to cut corners and be on site alway and ensure you see what's done yourself.

I am available for support. Cheers
Re: Nairaland Civil Engineers Come In Here Please by DanAugust2021: 10:27pm On Jan 21, 2023
kennisman:

If I may ask, what type of bridge are you constructing. Cable-stay, cantilever, suspension or just normal beam or truss?
You've not answered this,
Re: Nairaland Civil Engineers Come In Here Please by Belluski: 10:28pm On Jan 21, 2023
Collect the drawing to knw what type of bridge or culvert design... go online to get info in that kind of bridge or culvert. construction process from setting out to finishing. Videos are useful( YouTube) This will guide you.
Re: Nairaland Civil Engineers Come In Here Please by Belluski: 10:30pm On Jan 21, 2023
Belluski:
Collect the drawing to knw what type of bridge or culvert design... go online to get info in that kind of bridge or culvert. construction process from setting out to finishing. Videos are useful( YouTube) This will guide you.

Don’t argue with the surveyor if you he is experienced... he will be of help too
Re: Nairaland Civil Engineers Come In Here Please by SoftBread01: 10:37pm On Jan 21, 2023
Hi, I will suggest you reach out to an Engineer that's more experienced in that field.
Re: Nairaland Civil Engineers Come In Here Please by Stevyne: 10:44pm On Jan 21, 2023
liver123:
OK
Don't send
E go collect am for your hand
Re: Nairaland Civil Engineers Come In Here Please by Skale007(m): 10:46pm On Jan 21, 2023
Nice thread.

Please I have someone who needs a place for I.T in Lagos. He is a Civil engineering student.
Will be glad if anyone can be of assistance.
Re: Nairaland Civil Engineers Come In Here Please by nairadatti: 10:47pm On Jan 21, 2023
hardbody:

This is better than building a death trap. The joke is actually on you. greedy buffoon. This guy wants to learn, your type will cause mass tragedy because you don't want others who know better to teach you, Learn humility and eschew avarice and cupidity.
he should reject the job if he isn't capable
Re: Nairaland Civil Engineers Come In Here Please by Dogalmighty17: 10:58pm On Jan 21, 2023
Your want to be cheap. If you need knowledge PAY for it! Get a civil engineer there and pay him! What rubbish! You are seeking for input on nairaland for an engineering project? Are you mad? This is why we have collapsing structures everywhere.
The person who engaged you is the bigger fool.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Civil Engineers Come In Here Please by FarahAideed: 11:10pm On Jan 21, 2023
Bridge or culvert ?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Great Friends' Zone / Banks Lay Off 8,584 Staff In A Year / : The Fate Of A Physics Graduate!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.