Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,158 members, 7,818,512 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:39 PM

Family Rejects Old Naira Notes As Bride Price In Niger - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Family Rejects Old Naira Notes As Bride Price In Niger (16223 Views)

Reactions As Bride Crawled To Present Cake To In-laws On Wedding Day / A Sample Of Bride Price In UGEP, Yakurr LGA Of Cross River State (Pictures) / Man Discovers Old Naira Notes Left Behind By His Grand Dad For Them (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Family Rejects Old Naira Notes As Bride Price In Niger by dre11(m): 8:58am On Jan 24, 2023
The family of a young woman in Gbako LGA of Niger State has asked the family of her suitor to take back the old N1,000 and N500 notes they gave as bride price.

City & Crime gathered that the family of the suitor took an undisclosed amount to the family of the woman as bride price and money for other stuff in preparation for the wedding.

Though the wedding was not postponed, guardians of the girl were said to have noted that with the CBN deadline of January 31, they were not ready to buy some things needed for the ceremony and that they did not have a bank account to deposit the money, hence their demand for the new notes.

A family member of the male suitor explained that, “We took money to the family of the girl we want to marry. They called me on Sunday to come and take the old currency notes back pending when we have the new naira notes. They said they don’t have anywhere to change the old notes. So, I want to take it to the bank pending when we get the new notes.”

He further said that many people were scared of collecting the old notes for fear that they would not be able to spend them before the January 31, deadline.

City & Crime gathered that rural traders in the state have started rejecting the old notes or shutting their businesses as commercial banks have continued to give out old notes.

Our correspondent who visited some rural communities and semi-urban areas in the state reported that most of the communities had no access to banks.

In the ancient town of Zungeru, Wushishi LGA of the state, residents said there was only one commercial bank despite the population and huge business activities in the town, especially during Sunday and Wednesday market days.

Marketers told our correspondent that many farmers had stopped bringing out their farm produce to Zungeru market on Wednesdays and Sundays for fear that they would be given old naira notes.

Mohammed Sani, the chairman, Amana Farmers and Grain Suppliers Association, Wushishi Local Government Chapter, said “Right now rural farmers have stopped bringing out their farm produce to the market since last week because they are afraid that they would be given old naira notes and they don’t have bank accounts.”

He said most rural dwellers have postponed their wedding and child naming ceremonies because it is when they sell their farm produce that they get cash to buy things for such ceremonies.

https://dailytrust.com/family-rejects-old-naira-notes-as-bride-price-in-niger/

1 Like

Re: Family Rejects Old Naira Notes As Bride Price In Niger by madridguy(m): 8:59am On Jan 24, 2023
cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Family Rejects Old Naira Notes As Bride Price In Niger by Jennyclay(f): 9:23am On Jan 24, 2023
Why are we making life so hard for ourselves? Is it that they don't want the girl to get married undecided?

They should accept the old note, then go to the bank, open an account and make a deposit into the account before 31st of January. All these elders with coconut head sef! Mtcheeeww!

Is not as if the money would get to the bride's parent. The elders are only fighting for their selfish interest. After receiving the money, they would share it among themselves.

Nonsense!

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Family Rejects Old Naira Notes As Bride Price In Niger by Tallesty1(m): 9:27am On Jan 24, 2023
I paid a bike man with new note and he refused to collect and I had no old notes with me. These bike people get angry easily over nothing, bro was shouting and asking me why I did not tell him that I was having only new notes, like seriously? Had to buy what I don't to get old note.

17 Likes

Re: Family Rejects Old Naira Notes As Bride Price In Niger by tydi(m): 9:32am On Jan 24, 2023
Wahala.
The groom want run them street carry their daughter tuuwama! grin

3 Likes

Re: Family Rejects Old Naira Notes As Bride Price In Niger by Misterc(m): 1:18pm On Jan 24, 2023
New notes wey even most banks sef dey find like this....

2 Likes

Re: Family Rejects Old Naira Notes As Bride Price In Niger by MuMuOnBail: 1:19pm On Jan 24, 2023
Na wa ooo

I have instructed all my staff to stop collecting old notes from on Saturday.

Government are not joking with the deadline

Be warned.

7 Likes

Re: Family Rejects Old Naira Notes As Bride Price In Niger by Nobody: 1:19pm On Jan 24, 2023
Lucky Groom!
Re: Family Rejects Old Naira Notes As Bride Price In Niger by easyfem(m): 1:19pm On Jan 24, 2023
Oya sope otiloooo... e don go ooooo
Re: Family Rejects Old Naira Notes As Bride Price In Niger by MrCGPA(m): 1:19pm On Jan 24, 2023
APC is such a confused party Rulling Nigeria with Awkward decision. Banks ATM are still issuing the Old Notes and they have made people to believe it's only New Notes that are acceptable now.

Funny enough some Banks are selling the New Notes to Politicians and issuing the Old one to Ordinary Man. Nigeria is a Country!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Family Rejects Old Naira Notes As Bride Price In Niger by OgaTheTop2: 1:20pm On Jan 24, 2023
Wahala cheesy

You better get used to the new naira notes.. Earth will not bend cheesy

1 Like

Re: Family Rejects Old Naira Notes As Bride Price In Niger by WonderManly(m): 1:20pm On Jan 24, 2023
You all see the reason why Portable always shouting Wahala-wahala-wahala.

Re: Family Rejects Old Naira Notes As Bride Price In Niger by Gift96: 1:20pm On Jan 24, 2023
I thought love is not about money.. grin

1 Like

Re: Family Rejects Old Naira Notes As Bride Price In Niger by fredodo007(m): 1:20pm On Jan 24, 2023
Wonders shall never end. I come in peace
Re: Family Rejects Old Naira Notes As Bride Price In Niger by StrongAlphMale: 1:20pm On Jan 24, 2023
My problem isn't even the old Naira note but Ask the girl what will she bring to the table and watch her go mute while staring at you like ghost.

I'm very sure she's not even a virgin. Dear Men, bang any pussy you want, but when it's time for marriage, travel overseas and get married to a foreign girl

9 Likes

Re: Family Rejects Old Naira Notes As Bride Price In Niger by Toneypen247(m): 1:20pm On Jan 24, 2023
Wahala

Set up😹😹

1 Like

Re: Family Rejects Old Naira Notes As Bride Price In Niger by jahsharon: 1:20pm On Jan 24, 2023
Okay, let them go and change am
Re: Family Rejects Old Naira Notes As Bride Price In Niger by Tannhauser(m): 1:22pm On Jan 24, 2023
grin
If the girl is not a virgin, they should collect the old notes and manage it like that, after all it's a like for like exchange. cool
grin grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Family Rejects Old Naira Notes As Bride Price In Niger by Pitssbull: 1:22pm On Jan 24, 2023
Serious one
Re: Family Rejects Old Naira Notes As Bride Price In Niger by MiaBeer(m): 1:22pm On Jan 24, 2023
Some In-laws sef

1 Like

Re: Family Rejects Old Naira Notes As Bride Price In Niger by Pipefitter: 1:22pm On Jan 24, 2023
Lmao
Re: Family Rejects Old Naira Notes As Bride Price In Niger by Isabi4lov: 1:23pm On Jan 24, 2023
MuMuOnBail:
Na wa ooo

I have instructed all my staff to stop collecting old notes from on Saturday.

Government are not joking with the deadline

Be warned.
If government is not joking with the deadline hope the new notes are in circulation.

2 Likes

Re: Family Rejects Old Naira Notes As Bride Price In Niger by salbis(m): 1:23pm On Jan 24, 2023
Make i go change my small thousands sef, before it is too late.
Re: Family Rejects Old Naira Notes As Bride Price In Niger by seunlayi(m): 1:23pm On Jan 24, 2023

CBN Governor to be blame for this. Over 3 weeks and new note not halfway in circulation. Its bad, very bad, I mean the baddest changing of currency Nigeria ever witnessed

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Family Rejects Old Naira Notes As Bride Price In Niger by WibusJaga: 1:24pm On Jan 24, 2023

Hope they know it is a crime to reject Nigeria's Legal Tender. cool

1 Like

Re: Family Rejects Old Naira Notes As Bride Price In Niger by salbis(m): 1:24pm On Jan 24, 2023
Make i go change my small thousands sef, before it is too late.
Re: Family Rejects Old Naira Notes As Bride Price In Niger by StrongAlphMale: 1:24pm On Jan 24, 2023
Jennyclay:
Why are we making life so hard for ourselves? Is it that they don't want the girl to get married undecided?

They should accept the old note, then go to the bank, open an account and make a deposit into the account before 31st of January. All these elders with coconut head sef! Mtcheeeww!

Is not as if the money would get to the bride's parent. The elders are only fighting for their selfish interest. After receiving the money, they would share it among themselves.

Nonsense!

The question is "apart from her over used damaged pussy" what exactly will she offer that young man in marriage. Absolutely nothing!

The elders knew this and acted accordingly. So you better Stop ranting

1 Like

Re: Family Rejects Old Naira Notes As Bride Price In Niger by BrickDevo: 1:25pm On Jan 24, 2023
Hmmm

(1) (2) (Reply)

Another Nigerian Couple Delivers White Baby / Can You Survive On A 10,000 Weekly Pay? / How To Prevent Your Marriage From Crashing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.