Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,649 members, 7,813,188 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:24 AM

New Naira Notes: Senate Asks CBN To Extend January 31 Deadline; Emefiele Refuses - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / New Naira Notes: Senate Asks CBN To Extend January 31 Deadline; Emefiele Refuses (24602 Views)

Council Of State Asks CBN To Print More Naira Notes Or Recirculate Old Notes / Osinbajo Asks CBN To Bow To Market Forces Says Exchange Rate Is Artificially Low / Senate Asks Service Chiefs To Resign (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Naira Notes: Senate Asks CBN To Extend January 31 Deadline; Emefiele Refuses by fergie001: 1:55pm On Jan 24, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7vKLUfgqaM (Minute 29:32)

“I don’t have good news for those who feel we should shift the deadline; my apologies. The reason is because 100 days is more than enough for those who have the old currency to deposit it in the banks.” - Emefiele

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has foreclosed the possibility of extending or shifting the deadline on the deposit of the old naira notes.

CBN Governor Godwin Emefiele apologised to Nigerians for not extending the deadline but stated that 100 days from when the announcement was made to the expiration date was enough for Nigerians to deposit their old notes.

The apex bank said it has received between N1.3 trillion to N1.5 trillion so far but expects it will recover over N2 trillion after January 31 deadline.

SOURCE

However, the Nigerian Senate in today's plenary resolved that:

i. The @cenbank should immediately extend the use of the old notes by six months from January 31st to July 31st 2023 with immediate effect;

ii. The @cenbank Governor should compel banks to open an exchange window where people who don’t have bank account can exchange their old notes with the new notes.

“In most parts of Nigeria, there are no banks & our people transact in cash most often than not. There is no doubt that we must have a policy of inclusion in getting our people who have no banks available to them and the CBN can have a special programme for that."

"We must have policies by the CBN to ensure that we have branches of banks established more in our rural areas.”

SOURCE

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: New Naira Notes: Senate Asks CBN To Extend January 31 Deadline; Emefiele Refuses by Ddokie: 1:57pm On Jan 24, 2023
If meffy will do one good thing, it should be to ensure that the deadline remains. Even if he is to extend it, it shouldn't be more than a 2 week extension I.e. Feb 14 there about.

Under no circumstance should the present naira notes be available during the General elections.

If anyone thinks the senate is asking for an extension because they love Nigerians, that person must be joking. Their one and only reason for whining is because it will 'cut their ticket' which is vote buying.

Every well meaning Nigerian should support meffy. Take your old naira notes to the bank and lodge it in.

It would be tough to transact initially, but we will adjust in a month or two. Meanwhile vote buying would reduce significantly, which will ensure that BAT and his band of urchins would have been dealt a heavy blow on election day, and sent to the rubbish bin of infamous history.

invinzible1:

Lol you think politicians can not have access to new notes. Infact they have access it more than the citizens as of today.

Omo, you have no idea how much cash these guys have warehoused.

Yes, they will have access to the new notes but it will be nothing compared to the stash of old notes they have at the moment.

Do you know governors are paying contractors in cash as we speak?

BluntTheApostle:

These is not about vote buyers alone. This is about many unbanked Nigerians as well.

As at this moment, the January 31 deadline is not realistic. Many misinformed unbanked Nigerians would be thrown into serious hardship.

Let them go and open bank accounts and lodge the monies in. simplicita.

Why are they unbanked in the first place? Make dem dey play, there money will rot in their hands. I have no pity for those ones.

The ones I sympathise with are those whose transactions would be hampered as a result of the change. I too will be affected because my business is completely cash based. But the benefit ( significantly reducing vote buying) outweighs any difficulties that will arise.

Let BAT and his urchins carry rice and ororo to polling stations on election day.

240 Likes 28 Shares

Re: New Naira Notes: Senate Asks CBN To Extend January 31 Deadline; Emefiele Refuses by Emmanuella00(f): 1:57pm On Jan 24, 2023
Nawa oo...
I don't even know what to discribe Nigeria as

4 Likes

Re: New Naira Notes: Senate Asks CBN To Extend January 31 Deadline; Emefiele Refuses by ThoughtOfYou: 1:59pm On Jan 24, 2023
Average Nigerians don't have any issues with the deadline. We know about corrupt politicians.

149 Likes 16 Shares

Re: New Naira Notes: Senate Asks CBN To Extend January 31 Deadline; Emefiele Refuses by Ennoloa: 2:09pm On Jan 24, 2023
Na PDP this thing go affect pass

Vote wisely

Vote LP

66 Likes 7 Shares

Re: New Naira Notes: Senate Asks CBN To Extend January 31 Deadline; Emefiele Refuses by Nobody: 2:09pm On Jan 24, 2023
Ddokie:
If meffy will do one good thing, it should be to ensure that the deadline remains. Even if he is to extend it, it shouldn't be more than a 2 week extension I.e. Feb 14 there about.

Under no circumstance should the present naira notes be available during the General elections.

If anyone thinks the senate is asking for an extension because they love Nigerians, that person must be joking. Their one and only reason for whining is because it will 'cut their ticket' which is vote buying.

Every well meaning Nigerian should support meffy. Take your old naira notes to the bank and lodge it in.

It would be tough to transact initially, but we will adjust in a month or two. Meanwhile vote buying would reduce significantly, which will ensure that BAT and his band of urchins would have been dealt a heavy blow on election day.

APC doesn't care about Nigerians. Never have, never will.

73 Likes 9 Shares

Re: New Naira Notes: Senate Asks CBN To Extend January 31 Deadline; Emefiele Refuses by pheranme9(m): 2:10pm On Jan 24, 2023
Mhen Nigeria is a funny country where things happen with no logical explanation..... Banks are still dispensing old naira note...lol

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: New Naira Notes: Senate Asks CBN To Extend January 31 Deadline; Emefiele Refuses by Libertypro: 2:10pm On Jan 24, 2023

22.5w Fast Charge

3 Output + 2 Output

Two Way Fast Charging

LED Digital Screen

Nationwide Delivery - Pay On Delivery via GIG Logistics.

Delivery charges applies to your LOCATION.

Call or whatsapp

N18,000

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: New Naira Notes: Senate Asks CBN To Extend January 31 Deadline; Emefiele Refuses by BrickDevo: 2:10pm On Jan 24, 2023
He has that power yes

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Naira Notes: Senate Asks CBN To Extend January 31 Deadline; Emefiele Refuses by xristos(m): 2:10pm On Jan 24, 2023
better
Re: New Naira Notes: Senate Asks CBN To Extend January 31 Deadline; Emefiele Refuses by Greenishland(f): 2:10pm On Jan 24, 2023
embarassed

If you need an advert copy that converts prospective clients into buyers, contact me for the job.

In other words, if you need an excellent copy writer for your products or services, look no further. A trial will convince you!
Re: New Naira Notes: Senate Asks CBN To Extend January 31 Deadline; Emefiele Refuses by opera1(m): 2:10pm On Jan 24, 2023
It will be wise and safe to extend the time because as at today, banks are still given out the old notes, which is not supposed to be.

CBN didn't do well by printing limited [500m] of the new notes.

Serious Naira Scarcity will surely occur after the withdrawal of old currency.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: New Naira Notes: Senate Asks CBN To Extend January 31 Deadline; Emefiele Refuses by unclejb2(m): 2:10pm On Jan 24, 2023
Tinubu has tried everything possible to make his vote buying work, but Emefiele and Buhari have refused.

Tinubu and Atiku whose plans are to rig the election with stashed cash have ran into a dead end.

No going back on the deadline for the old notes.

A new Nigeria is possible

37 Likes 4 Shares

Re: New Naira Notes: Senate Asks CBN To Extend January 31 Deadline; Emefiele Refuses by Das34: 2:11pm On Jan 24, 2023
This stuff is killing me

Re: New Naira Notes: Senate Asks CBN To Extend January 31 Deadline; Emefiele Refuses by Robertgreene1(m): 2:11pm On Jan 24, 2023
Ddokie:

I

It would be tough to transact initially, but we will adjust in a month or two. Meanwhile vote buying would reduce significantly, which will ensure that BAT and his band of urchins would have been dealt a heavy blow on election day.
interesting...
But its like u don't know these politicians...U think someone as big as Tinubu or Atiku won't know how 2 get any amount of d new notes they want?...do u know d kind of master strategists that work 4 these men?...a Local big man can bribe any bank manager anywhere 2 av all d new notes he wants... talkmore of d likes of Tinubu and Atiku with evil genuises like MC Oluomo and Dino plus a whole host of others working 4 Dem respectively?...those peeps can even bribe d Emefiele himself sef
underate naija politicians at ur own peril bro...this nonsense policy won't affect them a bit...it is d poor masses that will suffer!

36 Likes 4 Shares

Re: New Naira Notes: Senate Asks CBN To Extend January 31 Deadline; Emefiele Refuses by LORDLARGE(m): 2:13pm On Jan 24, 2023
Wahala
Re: New Naira Notes: Senate Asks CBN To Extend January 31 Deadline; Emefiele Refuses by Delphi(m): 2:14pm On Jan 24, 2023
Emefiele has my thumbs up. The Senate does not care with goodwill. It is because of their primordial intent to engage in vote buying and election bribery that they are now crying more than the bereaved. Other pressing needs that really affect the citizenry are left in the cooler while old money usage has taken the centre stage because of selfishness and need to commit financial crime. Why is this Naira issue the problem of the senate (and house of reps) while the more critical fuel crises that really affect the common man is never their headache. It shows that something is amiss and your guess is as good as mine.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: New Naira Notes: Senate Asks CBN To Extend January 31 Deadline; Emefiele Refuses by bennybuhari: 2:14pm On Jan 24, 2023
Yet nothing significant has happened to our naira since the new notes. Dollar still all time high

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Naira Notes: Senate Asks CBN To Extend January 31 Deadline; Emefiele Refuses by Okortor: 2:15pm On Jan 24, 2023
This isn't business as usual, Emefiele has a mission to accomplish and not until that is done, No going back.

he has 100% backing of the president so he's covered.........

Vote PETER OBI for a secured future 👌

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Naira Notes: Senate Asks CBN To Extend January 31 Deadline; Emefiele Refuses by tk4radi: 2:15pm On Jan 24, 2023
CBN SHOULD STRICTLY ENFORCE THE USE OF “DIGITAL MONEY-COUNTERS”

In my own personal opinion:

I think it is high-time the CBN makes and implement a very strong policy across-the-board to all the deposit-money-banks in Nigeria for the compulsory use of the “Digital Money-Counters” which read the Serial-Numbers on Naira Notes,, and do away with all these existing analogue counters.

These special counters should be connected as “appendage hardwares” to computers; thus, the serial numbers of the cash that are withdrawn and/or deposited by the customers and/or clients of the banks would be recorded and stored in the bank’s database, and be readily released to the CBN at any time they might need it, either for recorded-keeping, statistics, or for tracking-and-tracing of cash.

Stacks of cash that were previously counted and stored in the vault by such machines should have “Uniquely Generated Stack Codes”, and same should apply to “Bundles”; thus, whenever someone wants to withdraw money, the “Bundle/Stack Scanner” (from ANY bank across-the-board) would just have to scan the “Bundle-Code” or “Stack-Code” (as the case may be) and all the serial-number-identities of all the cash contained in such stacks or bundles (as previously counted and logged in the database) would be recorded against the withdrawer.

For anyone that is paying-in or depositing money, the Money-Counter would have to count all the money all over again, without having to use the “Bundle/Stack Scanner”.

I repeat, This policy would be very helpful for record-keeping purposes, for proper statistics of the money in circulation, as well as for proper tracking and tracing of the cash in circulation.

As for some distress withdrawals (Such as RANSOM), or in the case of theft or robbery where the serial-numbers can easily be ascertained based on the “bundle/stack identities”, such monies can be reported to the CBN by the bank.

In the case of “withdrawal for ransom” the withdrawer should pre-inform the bank, so that the money to be withdrawn can be reported to the CBN for it to be marked; and thus, all such notes would be RED-FLAGGED Nationwide.

Once any Money-Counter (anywhere across the nation) starts seeing any of such money, it would immediately alert the CBN, and the Bank would get the Police to be aware of such discoveries...
With this, it would be very easy to know and track the Depositors of such money, and that would very much aid the Police in their investigations.

This particular policy is not in any way going to violate the “Privacy Policy”.

Once everything is normal, there is no need to violate any privacy policy (the protection of the private information of the customer, and non-disclosure of such private information to any third-party).

But once there are activities in any person’s account that requires the attention of the Law Enforcement Agents, it means that the rights of other citizens are hampered, and thus, “upholding of national values” takes precedence over “Privacy Policy”, even without the attention of the customer/client, so that the law will take its full course, irrespective of the privacy policy.

The Summary Of Everything I Just Wrote Here Is:
“LET CBN MAKE IT A STANDING POLICY FOR ALL THE BANKS IN NIGERIA TO BE USING ‘DIGITAL MONEY-COUNTERS’ IN ALL THEIR OPERATIONS”.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: New Naira Notes: Senate Asks CBN To Extend January 31 Deadline; Emefiele Refuses by obi4eze(m): 2:15pm On Jan 24, 2023
When God fights for you, he confuses your enemies and makes them disagree with each other. This is exactly the case at the moment.

Emefiele vs Senate

DSS vs Emefiele

Atiku vs Tinubu on $460,000 drug case forfeiture, and so on.

Everything is working together for our good and that of the incoming President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, HE Mr Peter Obi.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Naira Notes: Senate Asks CBN To Extend January 31 Deadline; Emefiele Refuses by thunder74(m): 2:15pm On Jan 24, 2023
If you love Nigeria, support Emefile and CBN in this their trying time.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Naira Notes: Senate Asks CBN To Extend January 31 Deadline; Emefiele Refuses by Ishilove: 2:16pm On Jan 24, 2023
But banks are still giving out old notes. What do we do??

4 Likes

Re: New Naira Notes: Senate Asks CBN To Extend January 31 Deadline; Emefiele Refuses by Wickedfact: 2:18pm On Jan 24, 2023
unclejb2:
Tinubu has tried everything possible to make his vote buying work, but Emefiele and Buhari have refused.

Tinubu and Atiku whose plans are to rig the election with stashed cash have ran into a dead end.

No going back on the deadline for the old notes.

A new Nigeria is possible

Did you see where Katsina approved 500m to welcome Buhari?

When election comes, they will tell Meffy to bring the new notes by himself. He is the one who will climb delivery bike and go deliver the notes.

8 Likes

Re: New Naira Notes: Senate Asks CBN To Extend January 31 Deadline; Emefiele Refuses by olahero(m): 2:19pm On Jan 24, 2023
Wayray🤣

CBN vs House of Senate✅

Emefiele should go and arrest those looted his campaign money, masses should not be held responsible for his political gambling.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Naira Notes: Senate Asks CBN To Extend January 31 Deadline; Emefiele Refuses by demielvis: 2:20pm On Jan 24, 2023
I stand with Emefiele

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Naira Notes: Senate Asks CBN To Extend January 31 Deadline; Emefiele Refuses by maasoap(m): 2:21pm On Jan 24, 2023
Ddokie:

All of you are just shouting one thing: vote buying! Lol. Shouldn't we have enough new notes in circulation? Do we have that yet? No.
So, old notes should not be accepted by February 1st when no new notes are in circulation? All because you don't want politicians to spend during elections! Must economy be grounded because of two days election? Many of you simply don't know what you are saying.

demielvis:
I stand with Emefiele

You stand with impossibility

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: New Naira Notes: Senate Asks CBN To Extend January 31 Deadline; Emefiele Refuses by spy24(m): 2:22pm On Jan 24, 2023
Buhari is solidly behind this policy. That is why Emefiele is this confident.

Seems like buhari wants to give Nigerians something to remember him for after 8 years suffering. That's why he's doing everything possible to deliver the best election since 1999.

The man does not care who really wins. He just wants to leave this legacy.
Re: New Naira Notes: Senate Asks CBN To Extend January 31 Deadline; Emefiele Refuses by invinzible1: 2:22pm On Jan 24, 2023
Ddokie:

It would be tough to transact initially, but we will adjust in a month or two. Meanwhile vote buying would reduce significantly, which will ensure that BAT and his band of urchins would have been dealt a heavy blow on election day, and sent to the rubbish bin of infamous history.

Lol you think politicians can not have access to new notes. Infact they have access it more than the citizens as of today.

4 Likes

Re: New Naira Notes: Senate Asks CBN To Extend January 31 Deadline; Emefiele Refuses by ehemwhy(m): 2:22pm On Jan 24, 2023
[You have spoken well but this currency issue wont affect People like Tinubu or Atiku,people should come out enmasse and vote and say no to vote buying . ]

It would be tough to transact initially, but we will adjust in a month or two. Meanwhile vote buying would reduce significantly, which will ensure that BAT and his band of urchins would have been dealt a heavy blow on election day, and sent to the rubbish bin of infamous history.[/quote]
Re: New Naira Notes: Senate Asks CBN To Extend January 31 Deadline; Emefiele Refuses by Angelfrost(m): 2:22pm On Jan 24, 2023
I support Emefiele 100%!

Nigerian banks are hoarding the new notes and selling them to elites.

This is ridiculous and unheard of!

5 Likes

Re: New Naira Notes: Senate Asks CBN To Extend January 31 Deadline; Emefiele Refuses by hohafrank(m): 2:23pm On Jan 24, 2023
The masses are behind the CBN decision.Enough of this rubbish from our corrupt politicians.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

FFK Mistakes Parody Fayemi Accout, Attacks Fayemi Based On Fake Tweet / President Buhari Visits Plateau State Today Over Recent Killings / We Are Shi'ite But Not Members Of IMN, RAAF Tells Presidency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.