Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,352 members, 7,815,720 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:10 PM

CBN's "Naira Redesign" Policy Is A Charade. They Know It Won't Work - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / CBN's "Naira Redesign" Policy Is A Charade. They Know It Won't Work (15371 Views)

Naira Crisis: Emefiele Discloses Why Currency Redesign Policy Is Failing / Tinubu Hails Nigerian Governors Over Supreme Court Ruling On CBN Naira Swap / APC Primaries In Enugu A Charade โ€“ Okechukwu, VON DG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN's "Naira Redesign" Policy Is A Charade. They Know It Won't Work by HIGHESTPOPORI(m): 9:19am On Jan 26, 2023
YorubaNiBaba:
On Tinubu's mandate i stand gidigba
You no get choice, if not you go hungry

3 Likes

Re: CBN's "Naira Redesign" Policy Is A Charade. They Know It Won't Work by Light78: 9:20am On Jan 26, 2023
Buhari tenure is about to end, they have started speaking.
Re: CBN's "Naira Redesign" Policy Is A Charade. They Know It Won't Work by Parachoko: 9:20am On Jan 26, 2023
I'm with the CBN on this issue, but there is no need to rush the policy
Re: CBN's "Naira Redesign" Policy Is A Charade. They Know It Won't Work by BluntCrazeMan: 9:21am On Jan 26, 2023
Make una relax.

After the Elections, they will do normal phasing out of the old notes.

FOR NOW,, THEY WANT TO MAKE THE HOARDED NOTES VERY VERY USELESS IN THE UPCOMING ELECTIONS..

Oby-Ezekwesili was right after-all.

Long time ago, she said that money would not be the major factor in the 2023 Elections, and that the Money-bags would be be disgraced in 2023.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN's "Naira Redesign" Policy Is A Charade. They Know It Won't Work by fiizznation: 9:22am On Jan 26, 2023
It won't work and it is not even working. The incompetent buhari led government just pushed millions of nigerians into more difficult situation. I just came back from a bank. The so called new naira is not available at the ATM gallery and people are still queueing for the money.

This was the same thing buhari did when he was the head of state, the man was the architect of killing the value of naira in the 80s.
How will you just wake up and implement a policy that is clearly anti-masses? The politicians will always have their ways if the want to buy votes, you can't really stop them!

Businesses both small and big are suffering because many businessmen don't have bank accounts. They prefer saving their money in their stores.

Our country is not ready for any stupid cashless policy at the moment. We haven't reach that stage as a nation!

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN's "Naira Redesign" Policy Is A Charade. They Know It Won't Work by 43Ronin: 9:23am On Jan 26, 2023
All this people talking rubbish about not enough time deserve the inconvenience. I remember telling customers at the bank to get their ATM cards and mobile but they will refuse especially those yoruba market women now let me see whether they won't run to go get it....

4 Likes

Re: CBN's "Naira Redesign" Policy Is A Charade. They Know It Won't Work by Workch: 9:23am On Jan 26, 2023
Parachoko:
I'm with the CBN on this issue, but there is no need to rush the policy
there's need to rush it. Else we will not have a credible election

4 Likes

Re: CBN's "Naira Redesign" Policy Is A Charade. They Know It Won't Work by judedwriter(m): 9:24am On Jan 26, 2023
shocked

I have a feeling that we are been rushed into the cashless society....

Economic reasons or end time reasons??

3 Likes

Re: CBN's "Naira Redesign" Policy Is A Charade. They Know It Won't Work by tungamaje: 9:26am On Jan 26, 2023
In all these, I haven't read the opinions of MANNA, NgenuUkwenu, et all who are always comfortable with any policy from our darling daddy's government even when others complained. I hope our daddy is getting it right? Or are they on the bank cues trying to also deposit theirs? No sacrifice is too much to make our country great
Re: CBN's "Naira Redesign" Policy Is A Charade. They Know It Won't Work by nonikia(m): 9:27am On Jan 26, 2023
Affliction will never raise again the second time
Re: CBN's "Naira Redesign" Policy Is A Charade. They Know It Won't Work by Parachoko: 9:27am On Jan 26, 2023
Workch:
there's need to rush it. Else we will not have a credible election
When is having a credible Election part of CBN Aims and Objectives?

The way am looking at it, there will be a serious scarcity of the Naira if there is no extension.

The CBN should follow the Senate advise, the Deadline should be move to July. By July, the new notes would have circulate.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN's "Naira Redesign" Policy Is A Charade. They Know It Won't Work by Badonasty(m): 9:27am On Jan 26, 2023
Succinctly said
Re: CBN's "Naira Redesign" Policy Is A Charade. They Know It Won't Work by rafcrown(m): 9:28am On Jan 26, 2023
Nigeria can Only be very great if
Intelligence is applied in all aspects of governing people.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN's "Naira Redesign" Policy Is A Charade. They Know It Won't Work by Workch: 9:29am On Jan 26, 2023
Parachoko:
When is having a credible Election part of CBN Aims and Objectives?

The way am looking at it, there will be a serious scarcity of the Naira if there is no extension.
Having a credible election should be the aim of the sitting president and if he needs the CBN to help him to that, he can. He has the constitutional rights to do so.

There will be no extension until after election. The policy is great for me, it's better I suffer for 1month than suffer for another 4years as a result of electing bad leadership.

This policy is the best way of reducing vote buying. It has to work

3 Likes

Re: CBN's "Naira Redesign" Policy Is A Charade. They Know It Won't Work by GeneralPula: 9:29am On Jan 26, 2023
Who does not know this..
Re: CBN's "Naira Redesign" Policy Is A Charade. They Know It Won't Work by jaxxy(m): 9:31am On Jan 26, 2023
only criminals are complaining and they will cry.

The plan is not to replace old notes with new notes. it's to reduce cash in circulation drastically.

It is the 2nd stage/phase of cashless policy which has been ongoing for years now to reduce criminality and looting.

3 Likes

Re: CBN's "Naira Redesign" Policy Is A Charade. They Know It Won't Work by fiizznation: 9:33am On Jan 26, 2023
SoftP:
Not minding the hardship this might cause, if it will put corrupt politicians on check & reduce vote buying, then most of us are willing to bear the trauma & consequences.

The joy of this whole drama is that Tinibu & his likes are already wailing, thatโ€™s a clear indication that corruption is gradually being suppressed.

OBI-DATTI FOR PRESIDENT 2023
I don't know why you obidients or whatever you call yourselves don't think. How will this silly policy affect politicians that can get whatever amount they need from the banks? Politicians that have access to forex, etc. Isn't this policy affecting the poor masses already?

And is not like Obi is going to win anything. I don't think he will even win his state!

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: CBN's "Naira Redesign" Policy Is A Charade. They Know It Won't Work by Bishop1monte(m): 9:34am On Jan 26, 2023
Workch:
Having a credible election should be the aim of the sitting president and if he needs the CBN to help him to that, he can. He has the constitutional rights to do so.

There will be no extension until after election. The policy is great for me, it's better I suffer for 1month than suffer for another 4years as a result of electing bad leadership.

You and these elections matter, if you have kids how will your kids buy things in school or you will open account for them so they make transfer to buy ice cream, biscuits and sweets. We should talk with sense. Advanced countries are still using cash

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CBN's "Naira Redesign" Policy Is A Charade. They Know It Won't Work by Parachoko: 9:37am On Jan 26, 2023
Workch:

okay o.

This can not stop vote buying for me, Buhari won't have introduce this kind of policy if he is contesting. Scarcity of the Naira is already happening as we dey talk.
Re: CBN's "Naira Redesign" Policy Is A Charade. They Know It Won't Work by Workch: 9:37am On Jan 26, 2023
Bishop1monte:

You and these elections matter, if you have kids how will your kids buy things in school or you will open account for them so they make transfer to buy ice cream, biscuits and sweets. We should talk with sense. Advanced countries are still using cash
see, I rarely use hard naira to purchase stuffs. I buy must of my stuffs from the mall or supermarket and guess what, things are even cheaper for me there.
I buy a bottle of Trophy without going home with the bottle in a bar for 400naira, I get it for 350 with the bottle at my supermarket. I pay online

I advice you start doing more of transfers, if you want to buy foodstuffs, 20k daily is more enough. That's about 600k monthly.

This election must be free and fair, no matter the price we have to pay
Re: CBN's "Naira Redesign" Policy Is A Charade. They Know It Won't Work by Lukuluku69(m): 9:38am On Jan 26, 2023
Seun:
A political scientist named Jibrin Ibrahim has exposed the naira redesign policy for what it is - a complete farce. According to him, everyone in the CBN, banks, and federal govt knows that it won't work because the mint lacks the capacity to print sufficient notes. It is an opportunity for CBN insiders to make a lot of money while appearing to fight corruption. The financial industry is playing along to avoid CBN sanctions.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/opinion/575500-policy-making-as-make-belief-by-jibrin-ibrahim.html

Exact stuff I told a friend! The way CBN is going about it, it can't and won't work. Nigeria needs a minimum of THREE MONTHS of any swap to be a success.

By early December, CBN ought to have been forcing the Banks to take the New Notes whether they like it or not.

DEbit the Current Accounts with CBN and instruct them to take the Cash. At least a MINIMUM of #5billion WEEKLY.

But a lot of people with no understanding of our Economy are the ones pushing the Narratives.

The same Civil Servants, same Politicians, the same Rent Collectors are still on their sits and they are still doing as usual. So, there is no fight against them with the New Notes.

As things are now, the Markets in my area are not collecting the old Notes and have said they are shutting shops till after the Deadline.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: CBN's "Naira Redesign" Policy Is A Charade. They Know It Won't Work by Minjim: 9:39am On Jan 26, 2023
Imagine some Obidient saying it was to tame Tinubu.

How laughable. So if Tinubu needs a million new notes he can't get it, can we?

The CBN governor is just trying to save face after a disastrous elongate tenure of poor performance.

In other countries is that how fast they change their currency?
Some give priod 5 to 10 years self
That CBN failure is giving a month deadline and fools are applauding him.

These are reasons government misbehave because they know there will always be some fools that will applaud them

1 Like

Re: CBN's "Naira Redesign" Policy Is A Charade. They Know It Won't Work by Naija4love(m): 9:40am On Jan 26, 2023
God1000:
The new naira notes are very scarce, especially the five and two hundred naira notes.

I know this may be a way preventing politicians from vote buying but it will hurt nigerians as well

People are already throwing the old naira notes away
and you believe when the expired time isnโ€™t here, Nigeria mumu never do๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
Re: CBN's "Naira Redesign" Policy Is A Charade. They Know It Won't Work by Workch: 9:40am On Jan 26, 2023
Parachoko:
okay o.

This can not stop vote buying for me, Buhari won't have introduce this kind of policy if he is contesting. Scarcity of the Naira is already happening as we dey talk.

It will stop vote buying greatly. Where do you want to get the cash to bribe people on election day if there's a restriction.

Abi you wan dey do transfer to poor Pele for rural areas wey no get bank app? ๐Ÿ˜‚

It will make the election very credible
Re: CBN's "Naira Redesign" Policy Is A Charade. They Know It Won't Work by BubblingB(m): 9:43am On Jan 26, 2023
Workch:

I don't see how an extension after election helps the cause. It is indirectly valid to use the old naira during election and wait for the extension to swap the old for new so it defeats the purpose. So, in my opinion, there will be no extension. Its just a small sacrifice to pay for the good of the country.
Re: CBN's "Naira Redesign" Policy Is A Charade. They Know It Won't Work by Parachoko: 9:43am On Jan 26, 2023
Workch:
see, I rarely use hard naira to purchase stuffs. I buy must of my stuffs from the mall or supermarket and guess what, things are even cheaper for me there.
I buy a bottle of Trophy without going home with the bottle in a bar for 400naira, I get it for 350 with the bottle at my supermarket. I pay online

I advice you start doing more of transfers, if you want to buy foodstuffs, 20k daily is more enough. That's about 600k monthly.

This election must be free and fair, no matter the price we have to pay
You do not care about the hardship this will lead to at all grin

Do you even live in Nigeria?

2 Likes

Re: CBN's "Naira Redesign" Policy Is A Charade. They Know It Won't Work by Workch: 9:43am On Jan 26, 2023
Minjim:
Imagine some Obidient saying it was to tame Tinubu.

How laughable. So if Tinubu needs a million new notes he can't get it, can we?

The CBN governor is just trying to save face after a disastrous elongate tenure of poor performance.

In other countries is that how fast they change their currency?
Some give priod 5 to 10 years self
That CBN failure is giving a month deadline and fools are applauding him.

These are reasons government misbehave because they know there will always be some fools that will applaud them
Even if he can get cash, he cannot get enough to buy enough votes.

The more stringent the system, the more difficult for him to mobilize cash, especially if the sitting president is against him. Every cash withdrawal is strictly monitored by CBN, bank managers cannot mess with a determined CBN
Re: CBN's "Naira Redesign" Policy Is A Charade. They Know It Won't Work by Lukuluku69(m): 9:44am On Jan 26, 2023
43Ronin:
All this people talking rubbish about not enough time deserve the inconvenience. I remember telling customers at the bank to get their ATM cards and mobile but they will refuse especially those yoruba market women now let me see whether they won't run to go get it....

And you think the Igbo Market women selling Ugu leaves, crayfish and panla ALL have Bank Accounts and ATM Cards?

CBN messed up with the Guidelines and implementation. Simple.

To change Naira Notes is not the issue but the implementations are.
Re: CBN's "Naira Redesign" Policy Is A Charade. They Know It Won't Work by BreconHills(m): 9:44am On Jan 26, 2023
Workch:
nope, they are doing it to conduct a credible election

So I hope you will accept the result of the election as the incontrovertible will of Nigerians.
Re: CBN's "Naira Redesign" Policy Is A Charade. They Know It Won't Work by Workch: 9:45am On Jan 26, 2023
Parachoko:
You do not care about the hardship this will lead to at all grin

Do you even live in Nigeria?
Seriously I care, I care about Nigeria and that's why they need to pay the price for just 1 month, so it will save their lives for another 4years.
The benefit of this hugely outweighs the risk.

So if Nigerian ls are not smart enough to not sell their votes, the CBN will help them
Re: CBN's "Naira Redesign" Policy Is A Charade. They Know It Won't Work by Workch: 9:45am On Jan 26, 2023
BreconHills:

So I hope you will accept the result of the election as the incontrovertible will of Nigerians.
Yes, I will.

Buhari has really tried his best to make this credible. I hope you will accept it as well
Re: CBN's "Naira Redesign" Policy Is A Charade. They Know It Won't Work by Parachoko: 9:45am On Jan 26, 2023
BubblingB:

I don't see how an extension after election helps the cause. It is indirectly valid to use the old naira during election and wait for the extension to swap the old for new so it defeats the purpose. So, in my opinion, there will be no extension. Its just a small sacrifice to pay for the good of the country.
I thought that guy have sense, but it seems he does not grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sanwo-Olu To Request FG To Permit Importation Of Rice Paddy For Imota Rice / Must They Humiliate Tinubu Like This? / General Akinrinade Advises Olusegun Obasanjo To Stop Writing Letters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.