Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,449 members, 7,819,660 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:06 PM

The Tinubu-Buhari Cold War Is Becoming A Hot War By Farooq A. Kperogi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Tinubu-Buhari Cold War Is Becoming A Hot War By Farooq A. Kperogi (33957 Views)

Tinubu: Buhari Was A Serial Loser Until I Made Him President, It Is Now My Turn / Tinubu: Buhari Should Hand Over Power To Me / Kanuri Origins Of The Tinubu Family - Farooq Kperogi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Tinubu-Buhari Cold War Is Becoming A Hot War By Farooq A. Kperogi by Racoon(m): 6:55am On Jan 28, 2023
This week's column uses insights gleaned from sources and the past to argue that the cold war between Tinubu and Buhari that bubbled to the surface this week with Tinubu's impassioned Abeokuta outburst will graduate to a real hot war in short order:

Twitter: @farooqkperogi

It was always obvious to keen, disinterested observers that Bola Tinubu’s gamble in helping Buhari to ascend to power won’t pay off in the end; that his opportunistic political love affair with Buhari won’t be requited; and that the brittle, delicately thin thread that held their relational dynamic would snap sooner or later. I wrote countless columns on this.

Tinubu won the nomination of the APC not because of Buhari and the cabal of provincial power brokers that prop him but in spite of them. Tinubu was compelled to ventilate his famously impassioned “emi lo kan” outburst in Abeokuta (in the Yoruba language, no less) when it became nakedly apparent that Buhari and his cabal had perfected plans to edge him out of the APC presidential primary contest.

People who know Tinubu from his inchoate age in Iragbiji tell me that he is a dogged, rugged, never-say-die fighter who would rather die fighting than give up a fight. His contemporaries dreaded fights with him not because he was strong but because his fights were often brutal and never-ending until he won. Even when he was bloodied and beaten to a pulp, he would get up and continue the fight if not immediately then later.

The story I heard of Tinubu’s childhood in Iragbiji reminded me of someone I grew up with in my hometown whom we nicknamed Mohammed Shaytan. Mohammed was his given name, but his bizarre emotional investment in endlessly ferocious fights with anyone until he won earned him the name Shaytan, the Arabic word for Satan. We used to allow him to “defeat” us so we would have peace. Perpetual personal strife, which he thrived in, wasn’t physically, mentally, and emotionally sustainable for a lot of us.

When the cabal was plotting to exclude Tinubu from the APC presidential contest, I had an informal chit-chat with a higher-up who had some associational affinities with the cabal. I told him that based on what I’d learned about Tinubu’s childhood and teenage years (some of which I can’t disclose publicly) and which seem to have endured into his adulthood, he would rather be dead than give up the APC nomination.

After the “emi lo kan” blow-up, which shook Buhari and his inner circle to their roots, my older acquaintance called to tell me I was right. The speech—and, of course, the support of APC’s northern governors, and his deep pockets— caused him to win the battle, but he is now in danger of losing the war, if he hasn’t already lost it. Here’s why.

Tinubu’s fervent, arrogant, and vaguely vituperative speech in Abeokuta at once unnerved, humiliated, and alienated Buhari and his inner circle in ways they had never been since 2015. Buhari never forgives, but he is also diffident, hates direct confrontation, and evades taking responsibility. That’s why he is such an ineffective but dangerous leader.

All indications clearly point to the fact that Buhari is still nursing the hurt of his well-justified humiliation by Tinubu. His inner loop of advisers is also waiting in the wings to exact revenge against Tinubu, which is frankly inexplicably self-indulgent, even hypocritical, because they would not have supported Tinubu even if he didn’t humiliate them on national television, even if he praised them to high heaven from now till kingdom come. Well, they seem to be now out for Tinubu in full force.

This signal first emerged in the open when Alhaji Sani Zangon Daura, a former minister in Obasanjo’s administration who is very close to Buhari, Mamman Daura and members of the cabal, gave a sermon in his mosque in Kaduna where he importuned northerners to support their own. It’s entirely possible that this opinion is his alone.

Nonetheless, as many people have observed, Buhari has so far studiously refrained from asking voters to vote for Tinubu. He raises Tinubu’s hands on the campaign trail, but it’s as a mere ritual political gesture that he is required to perform. He also raises the hands of other APC candidates. But he has so far not directly solicited votes for Tinubu.

In a November 10, 2022, interview with Premium Times on the so-called currency redesign, which has gone viral in the last few days, Buhari justified the currency redesign by gratuitously invoking the specter of unscrupulous moneybags who use thugs to win elections, which many people, including [b]Tinubu’s people, understood as an indirect attack on Tinubu.

“Nigerians should vote for whoever they like from whichever party. Nobody will be allowed to mobilize resources and thugs to intimidate people in any constituency,” Buhari said in what seems like a sneaky barb at Tinubu who infamously uses money and thugs to win elections, including elections that Buhari has benefited from. “This is what I want to go down into Nigerian history for.”
[/b]
Of course, when Premium Times’ reporter pushed him to speak on his support for Tinubu, he uttered platitudinous, half-hearted, mealy-mouthed praises of Tinubu and Lagos and said, “the party was lucky to get [Tinubu to] accept to be its candidate.” We all know it wasn’t the party that got Tinubu to accept to be its candidate; it was Tinubu who fought tooth and nail against the machinations of Buhari and his cabal to become the party’s candidate.

In the aftermath of the renewed attention to and intra-party criticisms of Buhari’s failure to publicly urge his supporters to vote for Tinubu, Buhari’s associates organized a charade in Bauchi. During the APC presidential campaign in Bauchi, Buhari was asked to speak in support of Tinubu. Then, suddenly, the microphone mysteriously developed a malfunction—or there was a power cut—and Buhari left the venue of the campaign in a faux huff. It seemed all carefully choreographed.

Being the aggressively wily and perceptive political fox that Tinubu is, he has sensed all the Machiavellian political mischief that’s afoot. And he has had enough. So, he threw another pugilistic rhetorical blow at Buhari and his cabal in Abeokuta—and in the Yoruba language. When he is drowning and is fighting for his political life, Tinubu cries in Yoruba. English has no capacity to carry the full weight of his fury.

Unfortunately for Tinubu, his avoidably self-inflicted reputational injury in the Muslim North by his inability to recite the first chapter of the Qur’an is eroding his support. Salafi clerics in the Hausaphone Muslim North who used to preach that a vote for the Tinubu-Shettima Muslim-Muslim ticket was a jihad in the service of Islam have gone quiet. They can’t justify calling someone who can’t recite the fatiha a Muslim. In fact, the clerics have become objects of ridicule now.

This was completely preventable political self-harm. All he needed to do was continue being seen praying in mosques and going to Mecca for hajj. No one ever asks Muslims, not least wealthy ones like Tinubu, to justify their claims to their faith by reciting verses of the Qur’an. Most northern Muslim elites, including Buhari, know next to nothing about their religion. But it’s sufficient that they are seen in public performing the rituals of the religion.

Tinubu would have benefitted from having northern Muslims in his inner circle. They would have advised him against attempting to recite the fatiha that he has obviously lost because he doesn’t use.

The only silver lining in the cloud of political troubles for Tinubu in the Muslim North, which he needs to have a fighting chance, is that almost all APC governors in the region are solidly behind him for two reasons. The first is the embarrassment of betraying him after he stood with them in the 2015 and 2019 elections. Nasir El-Rufai is the arrowhead of this sentiment. He thinks it would be a treachery for the history books should the entire Muslim North forsake Tinubu.

The second reason is more selfish. Should Atiku Abubakar win the election, the dreams of another northern Muslim from the northern governors’ ranks becoming a president would be perpetually deferred. Even though Atiku has said he would do only one term, it would be almost impossible for another Muslim to succeed him after four years.

It remains to be seen if the support of the governors can reverse Tinubu’s lost ground in the Muslim North. But the fight is on, and it’s just getting started!

https://www.farooqkperogi.com/2023/01/the-tinubu-buhari-cold-war-is-becoming.html

48 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Tinubu-Buhari Cold War Is Becoming A Hot War By Farooq A. Kperogi by Racoon(m): 6:57am On Jan 28, 2023
As bad or worst Buhari is as a person, he really knows the moral burden that the Heroine-drug baron constitutes to his reputation.

reddingtonblack:
It funny you people now celebrate Buhari becos his body language is not in support of Tinubu but HATE tinubu with all your soul becos of the hardship Buhari inflicted on Nigerians.Is that not plain Stupidity
If you know me here, you should have perceive that I am neither a fan of Buhari or Tinubu or APC. So carry your warped zombified reasoning from my side fast. Now here you go;

"Muhammadu Buhari, Yemi Osinbajo, and Bola Tinubu represent a triumvirate. They reinforce, reflect, and inflect each other. Both Tinubu and Osinbajo have been important props to Buhari’s ongoing disastrous regime of ungovernance. Without them, Buhari won’t be president. 

They also helped plant, grow, and fertilize Buhari’s autocracy and monstrous incompetence every damn step of the way. In other words, Buhari, Osinbajo, and Tinubu are tarred with the same brush.

People who are picking favorites among these monsters of deceit and fraud are not only clueless, they are also enablers of Nigeria’s progressive descent to the nadir of hopelessness."

"Tinubu, Osinbajo, Buhari: A Troika of Treacherous Villains"
https://www.farooqkperogi.com/2022/01/tinubu-osinbajo-buhari-troika-of.html?m=1

109 Likes 7 Shares

Re: The Tinubu-Buhari Cold War Is Becoming A Hot War By Farooq A. Kperogi by Racoon(m): 6:58am On Jan 28, 2023
Tinubu’s fervent, arrogant, and vaguely vituperative speech in Abeokuta at once unnerved, humiliated, and alienated Buhari and his inner circle in ways they had never been since 2015.

Buhari never forgives, but he is also diffident, hates direct confrontation, and evades taking responsibility. That’s why he is such an ineffective but dangerous leader.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Tinubu-Buhari Cold War Is Becoming A Hot War By Farooq A. Kperogi by backnbeta(f): 7:02am On Jan 28, 2023
Bubu is not at war with Tinubu because Tinubu is a bad person, NO. He's at war with and not supporting Tinubu because he will rather have another Abokey become the president! Good for Tinubu though; he forgot the golden rule: "trust and deal with an Abokey at your own peril". The plan is for them to enthrone Atiku, I hope it fails

141 Likes 10 Shares

Re: The Tinubu-Buhari Cold War Is Becoming A Hot War By Farooq A. Kperogi by Nobody: 7:03am On Jan 28, 2023
A professor writing beer parlor gossips and conjectures. No facts whatsoever. Just some innuendo.

84 Likes 6 Shares

Re: The Tinubu-Buhari Cold War Is Becoming A Hot War By Farooq A. Kperogi by Asgard13: 7:05am On Jan 28, 2023
cool

Me just waiting for February..

Nairaland will be fun..

Pains and tears ..

Power to the people
North 2023

9 Likes

Re: The Tinubu-Buhari Cold War Is Becoming A Hot War By Farooq A. Kperogi by Racoon(m): 7:06am On Jan 28, 2023
“Nigerians should vote for whoever they like from whichever party. Nobody will be allowed to mobilize resources and thugs to intimidate people in any constituency,”

Buhari said in what seems like a sneaky barb at Tinubu who infamously uses money and thugs to win elections, including elections that Buhari has benefited from. “This is what I want to go down into Nigerian history for.”
Whao!

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Tinubu-Buhari Cold War Is Becoming A Hot War By Farooq A. Kperogi by rexel99: 7:06am On Jan 28, 2023
Two selfish men fighting each other. God will disgrace both of them next month.

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Tinubu-Buhari Cold War Is Becoming A Hot War By Farooq A. Kperogi by Tochi3(m): 7:07am On Jan 28, 2023
grin

Already a full blown war..

....between " the King " who happens to be a Muslim caliphate & " the King maker " who can't recite the 1st chapter of the koran, who historically, rightly & sadly is a fake submissive muslim in the Plans of the master caliphate ... grin

Is Allah not merciful..to avoid a war between a real & fake muslim

83 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Tinubu-Buhari Cold War Is Becoming A Hot War By Farooq A. Kperogi by Newton2024: 7:07am On Jan 28, 2023
No matter how you express your beef and anger against him there are facts you cannot change which include;

1. He ran the most secured state in Nigeria during his tenure. Former IGP Abubarkar gave him 5 years accollades of the most secured state back to back for 5 years.

2. The minister of works then gave him the best accolade of a governor that built 800km of road network in 8years over 230 roads

3. Educationally , He met Anambra at 26th position in 2006 and left it at 1st by 2014 when he was leaving.

4. He was the only governor that met the millennium development goal in Nigeria in both education and health. In fact , Milinda and bill gate foundation gave him a personal gift of 1 million dollar for his achievement. Which he dropped in the state account rather than putting in his own private account.

5. He is the only former governor today that does not collect pension, gratuity, land gift and allowances since he left the govt in 2014.

6. When he became SEC chairman under President Jonathan, he told SEC to hold back all his allowance and entitlement as a Board chairman . He left without nothing. He said he does not need them.

7. When he was chairman of fidelity bank , he was entitled to two brand new cars annually. He told the board. I don't need them. Let me just come for meetings and go home.

You can only be angry with him. You cannot change the facts.

175 Likes 22 Shares

Re: The Tinubu-Buhari Cold War Is Becoming A Hot War By Farooq A. Kperogi by sweetonugbu: 7:09am On Jan 28, 2023
I dont support Tinubu nor Buhari, am just here for the inevitable vawulence that is bound to happen, Peter Obi is Better.

80 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Tinubu-Buhari Cold War Is Becoming A Hot War By Farooq A. Kperogi by PrinceOfLagos: 7:16am On Jan 28, 2023
Let them scatter themselves so that Nigeria will have breath of fresh air

55 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Tinubu-Buhari Cold War Is Becoming A Hot War By Farooq A. Kperogi by Pwettylinda(f): 7:16am On Jan 28, 2023
Thiefnubuu will be disgraced
Thief theifnubuu

50 Likes 6 Shares

Re: The Tinubu-Buhari Cold War Is Becoming A Hot War By Farooq A. Kperogi by Dcaliphate(m): 7:16am On Jan 28, 2023
Let APC implode! Let PDP explode!!
Uhuru must be achieved for PO

50 Likes

Re: The Tinubu-Buhari Cold War Is Becoming A Hot War By Farooq A. Kperogi by JealousCobra(m): 7:16am On Jan 28, 2023
grin

Thiefñubu is quite unfit to rule this great nation, it's simple and understandable to the blind and deaf.

Buhari is right on this!

22 Likes

Re: The Tinubu-Buhari Cold War Is Becoming A Hot War By Farooq A. Kperogi by Padipadi(m): 7:16am On Jan 28, 2023
Na you dey boil am Farooq elenu petepete Kperogi. Hungry PDP toyboy like Dino.
Two writers of doom within 48 hours.
The first was by Racoon and his cohorts and now this Kperogi.
Them curse all of you to always perch like flies.
This same Buhari was visited yesterday to strategize with Tinubu. Whoever's causing fuel crisis, hardships of new notes etc knew themselves.
The survival of APC test on Tinubu's victory so anyone spoiling show should think twice of his/her political food. Jumping from them to another party won't save such cos this is fight to finish.
However, I m confident of Tinubu's victory cos no sane Nigerian ll consider Atiku. Not even the north that this useless Kperogi mentioned.

19 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Tinubu-Buhari Cold War Is Becoming A Hot War By Farooq A. Kperogi by NastiLord: 7:16am On Jan 28, 2023
From cold war to hot war. May it turn to nuclear war soon so that they destroy themselves.

Peter Obi is the next president of Nigeria!

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Tinubu-Buhari Cold War Is Becoming A Hot War By Farooq A. Kperogi by Moh247: 7:17am On Jan 28, 2023
Tinubu and Buhari had a closed door meeting yesterday

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Tinubu-Buhari Cold War Is Becoming A Hot War By Farooq A. Kperogi by chiefolododo(m): 7:17am On Jan 28, 2023
O
Re: The Tinubu-Buhari Cold War Is Becoming A Hot War By Farooq A. Kperogi by patriotic007: 7:18am On Jan 28, 2023
God has heard the cries of the suffering masses hence the war in the enemies camp......God has heard about the killing of Nigerians mostly christians in the north hence the war in the enemies camp.......There is war in PDP( G5 vs Atifku)........There is war in APC ( Buhari/Osibanjo vs Tifnubu).......All these wars are signs that the almighty God has not Forsaken us just yet......Now all we need to do now is take it by force........The Kingdom of heaven suffereth violence and the violent ones taketh it by force.......We need to take Our country back by force.......we need to take back our country by voting Peter obi massively........We need to take back our country by coming out massively to collect our PVC and troop out on election day to vote in Peter obi.

Vote wisely
Vote Obidatti

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Tinubu-Buhari Cold War Is Becoming A Hot War By Farooq A. Kperogi by okeyumez(m): 7:18am On Jan 28, 2023
Everyone wants to trend with Tinubu's name. Nonsense write up with too many confusing grammar and imaginations

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Tinubu-Buhari Cold War Is Becoming A Hot War By Farooq A. Kperogi by englishmart(m): 7:18am On Jan 28, 2023
It takes insanity to vote incompetence.

18 Likes

Re: The Tinubu-Buhari Cold War Is Becoming A Hot War By Farooq A. Kperogi by livinbygrace: 7:19am On Jan 28, 2023
if you think Buhari or APC members would work for opposition,so they can be used as specimen by the Anti corruption agencies,then you must be an infant or a newbie in Nigerian Politics.Ask Olisa Metuh,Dasuki ,they will tell you their experience.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Tinubu-Buhari Cold War Is Becoming A Hot War By Farooq A. Kperogi by PrinceOfLagos: 7:19am On Jan 28, 2023
Moh247:
Tinubu and Buhari had a closed door meeting yesterday
stop this nonsense

Aren't you tired of telling lies ?
Closed door meeting ko, Open arms meeting ni

Buhari will never support Tinubu can't you see?

19 Likes

Re: The Tinubu-Buhari Cold War Is Becoming A Hot War By Farooq A. Kperogi by Nwaezeudo: 7:20am On Jan 28, 2023
The Iragbiji old senile thief is going nowhere!

He said he made Buhari President it's his turn to make himself one.

Obi is Coming kiss

17 Likes

Re: The Tinubu-Buhari Cold War Is Becoming A Hot War By Farooq A. Kperogi by ipobarecriminals: 7:20am On Jan 28, 2023
sad
Re: The Tinubu-Buhari Cold War Is Becoming A Hot War By Farooq A. Kperogi by ipobarecriminals: 7:20am On Jan 28, 2023
undecided undecided
Re: The Tinubu-Buhari Cold War Is Becoming A Hot War By Farooq A. Kperogi by Oddfinder012: 7:21am On Jan 28, 2023
Re: The Tinubu-Buhari Cold War Is Becoming A Hot War By Farooq A. Kperogi by Freshtruth(m): 7:21am On Jan 28, 2023
I no blame Tunubu he reach to curse Buhari a.month to an election Fuel price on the skyrocket how he want take win . BUhari is not a good person angry

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Tinubu-Buhari Cold War Is Becoming A Hot War By Farooq A. Kperogi by ecolime(m): 7:21am On Jan 28, 2023
Tinubu & Buhari at war.

Atiku & his key party governors at war.

So much confusion in the camps of the enemies of Nigeria. Isn't God wonderful?

Congratulations in advance President-Elect Peter Obi.

25 Likes

Re: The Tinubu-Buhari Cold War Is Becoming A Hot War By Farooq A. Kperogi by TheChameleon: 7:21am On Jan 28, 2023
grin

Bola Tinubu is next President.

Buhari can support or oppose.

That's his choice.

13 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

2019: Photos From APC Rally In Kogi State / APC Senators Divided Over Saraki’s Successor / Desmond Elliot Reacts To Thuggery Attack On His Political Opponent Olumide Oworu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.