Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,073 members, 7,821,689 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:53 PM

Boko Haram Is Not Our Problem, Corruption Is - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Boko Haram Is Not Our Problem, Corruption Is (4193 Views)

Boko Haram Is Wounded And Dangerous - Yahoo News / Boko Haram Is A Cia Covertoperation – Wikileaks. Read Patiently / Boko Haram Is Sponsored By Wealthy Nigerians – Security Expert (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Boko Haram Is Not Our Problem, Corruption Is by nasticy: 12:33pm On Sep 09, 2011
I must say that this is the most important topic i have ever read on nairaland. It is important that we implement the death penalty for corruption, at least in this era. It must be done, before things get worse. We didnt listen to the Niger Deltans plight, till they resorted to kidnapping. Now kidnapping is a canker worm in our collective security. Suicide bombing was foreign to our polity, now Boko Haram is an active participant. It is time Nigerians and the constitution take a proactive stance in our present challenges. Proverbs says a prudent man anticipates the evil and hides himself. Let us not wait for problems to occur before we tackle them, a wise nation would anticipate the problem and address it before it happens. Therefore, in anticipation of further demise in Nigeria, I believe the "DEATH SENTENCE FOR CORRUPT PUBLIC OFFICE HOLDERS" is NOT AN OPTION. IT IS A NECESSITY. angry angry angry angry
Re: Boko Haram Is Not Our Problem, Corruption Is by gists: 12:38pm On Sep 09, 2011
fried-rice:

[size=15pt]Even if the Death Penalty for Corruption is added in the Constitution
No Nigerian Court or Judge would find any leader or political Figure GUILTY of Corruption. as our Judges are freely Bought.
Corruption index Nigerian Judiciary is steadily overtaking the Legislature and Presidency.
[/size]

Hmmmm, why am I tempted to agree with you. Bode George, Cecilia, Salisu Buhari etc are case studies. We are just reading some wikileaks cables of Yar'adua $57m bribe to judges to sustain his fraudulent election. But I still think it's still d right way to go. Yes looks backward and unfashionable - at least to the west, but are not trying to please any other country. We just need positive results an I'm sure Nigeria will move forward if only we can somehow manage to get it work.
Re: Boko Haram Is Not Our Problem, Corruption Is by cre8tivity(f): 1:29pm On Sep 09, 2011
Even if the Death Penalty for Corruption is added in the Constitution
No Nigerian Court or Judge would find any leader or political Figure GUILTY of Corruption. as our Judges are freely Bought.
Corruption index Nigerian Judiciary is steadily overtaking the Legislature and Presidency.
i disagree.
we must not forget that death penalty is not only written for corrupt leaders, judges are also included in this package. if a judge is convicted of collecting bride, he or she will also smell gun powder. for anything to change in this country, something unprecedented must be introduced. wasting corrupt leaders will get us there faster. i think the more we talk about it the more it will start ringing bell. sooner or later our message will get delivered and something great will happen to this country. let's keep the discussion going and press on harder.
Re: Boko Haram Is Not Our Problem, Corruption Is by kholis(m): 1:36pm On Sep 09, 2011
Corruption cannot be stamped out by PDP because the fundamental ideology of the party is corruption.

PDP controlled national assembly will never sign death penalty bill because they know they cannot stop corrupt practices and hence cannot kill themselves by themselves.

Our PDP president is not only too weak to fight corruption, he is also part of it and hence will not like any can of worms to be opened. Recently the president was given a reminder by revisiting his wife's case with EFCC.

My fellow compatriots, evidently, corruption which is our greatest impediment will remain with us as long as the leaders as we have them remain in power. Our best bet is to emulate our northern African brothers.
Re: Boko Haram Is Not Our Problem, Corruption Is by filjc(m): 2:14pm On Sep 09, 2011
So boko haram is the solution then? embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Boko Haram Is Not Our Problem, Corruption Is by tallfact: 2:29pm On Sep 09, 2011
kholis:

Corruption cannot be stamped out by PDP because the fundamental ideology of the party is corruption.

PDP controlled national assembly will never sign death penalty bill because they know they cannot stop corrupt practices and hence cannot kill themselves by themselves.

Our PDP president is not only too weak to fight corruption, he is also part of it and hence will not like any can of worms to be opened. Recently the president was given a reminder by revisiting his wife's case with EFCC.

My fellow compatriots, evidently, corruption which is our greatest impediment will remain with us as long as the leaders as we have them remain in power. Our best bet is to emulate our northern African brothers.

Most people always blame the gov and our leaders which I may slightly accept but the bulk of the correction to be made is rightly in our hands( citizens). If we all still maintain that politics is dirty then we are moving nowhere. Democracy is by numbers; majority carry the votes. Let most of us join political parties be it PDP, ACN, CPC or what have you and vote all the corrupt politicians out of public offices. Also, to me I want to believe that we should solely rely on our reps (senators and house of rep members) for they have more powers in democracy than the visible leaders, if they sat right others we not compromise the activities.
Re: Boko Haram Is Not Our Problem, Corruption Is by manny4life(m): 6:40pm On Sep 09, 2011
fried-rice:

[size=15pt]Even if the Death Penalty for Corruption is added in the Constitution
[/size]

That is why the entire system needs an overhaul; in criminal trial it is jury of your peers that make that decision. If it reaches appeal, it will sided with the lower court. If you have an independent organization responsible for checks and balances within the court system and their decisions, trust and believe not Judge wants to take that risk.
Re: Boko Haram Is Not Our Problem, Corruption Is by Nobody: 7:37pm On Sep 09, 2011
You cannot tackle horizontal corruption, which affects every strata of society in Nigeria, with the death penalty.
This is simply not a practical or sensible solution.

While I understand why this is considered an attractive solution - especially in view of the Rawlings approach - it is difficult to see precisely how sentencing corrupt school teachers, police officers, bankers, union leaders, market traders, Reverend fathers, Imams, Witch doctors alongside politicians to death, can serve the cause of building a fairer and more equitable union.
The type of corruption we have in Nigeria is pervasive and, as such, is not restricted to any specific social group.

Before you begin to advance counter-arguments which position China and Iran as notable examples of countries where the death penalty serves as a deterrent, please note that what obtains therein is vertical and not horizontal corruption.
In those societies, it is generally those at the top of the food chain who tend to be corrupt and not every other citizen - irrespective of class or creed - as is case in Nigeria. By this, I mean: industrialists, high-ranking government officials and so on.

Let’s be careful what wish for, in our attempt to fashion out a measured and appropriate solution, lest we be subjected, once again, to the kind of tyranny we once witnessed during the khaki era.
Re: Boko Haram Is Not Our Problem, Corruption Is by cre8tivity(f): 3:03am On Sep 10, 2011
what is there to lose?
Start dropping them like flies and u see how thinks will change quickly.
Re: Boko Haram Is Not Our Problem, Corruption Is by fbude: 6:20am On Sep 10, 2011
IBB,Atiku,Chiroma,Dambazu and the entire
executive members of the Northern Political
Leaders Forum they are responsible for this
bombing and killing in Nigeria.They sponsor
Boko Haram.
Re: Boko Haram Is Not Our Problem, Corruption Is by lexandra(f): 9:22am On Sep 10, 2011
m
Re: Boko Haram Is Not Our Problem, Corruption Is by fbude: 3:01pm On Sep 10, 2011
IBB,Atiku,Chiroma,Dambazu and the entire
executive members of the Northern Political
Leaders Forum they are responsible for this
bombing and killing in Nigeria.They sponsor
Boko Haram.
Re: Boko Haram Is Not Our Problem, Corruption Is by EfeEkarume(m): 7:02pm On Sep 10, 2011
, like a nairaland god, I speak out in a thunderous voice , THOU SHALL NOT KILL!!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Osun To Host 2013 Oodua World Children's Day / Looting Of Rivers State By A Former Homeless Politician…amaechi Net Worth $13.8m / Political Heavyweights Who Dumped Jonathan After Winning 2011 Election For Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.