Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,213 members, 7,811,583 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:05 PM

High Cost Of Cement: Homeowners Go For Aluminium Parapets - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / High Cost Of Cement: Homeowners Go For Aluminium Parapets (32162 Views)

High Cost Of Cement: Nigerians Opt For Container Houses / Best Price For Aluminium Roofing Sheets And Stone Tiles / Wood Work For Aluminium Parapet Get Us Connected (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

High Cost Of Cement: Homeowners Go For Aluminium Parapets by money121(m): 12:42pm On Jan 30, 2023
As the economy bites harder, the urge to cut costs still lingers in 2023, as individuals are still putting on their thinking caps to see areas where cheap lifestyles can fit in.

As everyone struggles to cut costs, so also companies follow the trends in the lifestyle of consumers by producing their products in affordable portions and new models.

An interesting aspect where individuals now cut costs is the use of aluminium parapets to protect the edges of the roofs of buildings, instead of concrete.

A parapet is a kind of barrier that is used as an extension of a wall that sits on the edge of a roof.

One will wonder if the poor can afford to build a house, not to talk of roofing it, but the key fact here is that the rich in today’s Nigerian economy also cry.

In Nigeria, buildings and roofings come in different designs and as civilisation and innovations unveil, so also these building models transform with it.

For the well-to-do, when roofing a house, the sides of the roof are covered with brick parapets, which are constructed with wood, iron, gravel, and a mixture of sand and cement, which cost about N2 million, depending on the size of the house.

However, a parapet done with the use of aluminium sheets only requires a few wood, screws and sheets.

Mr. Ayomide Folorunsho, a wood seller at dry wood market in Volks, Lagos said that the wood for constructing a parapet varies in quality. This criterion decides the cost.

“The wood for constructing a parapet on a building differs in quality. The quality decides the price and also the cost of buying and processing the wood including fuel cost all these tells on what the price of wood will be when it comes out finished.

“We have Afara, softwood, hardwood and obeche. The Afara wood three-quarter inch is N6,500 while the softwood 1 by 2 by 12 inches is N1,100. The 3 by 4 inches hardwood is N650 while the three-quarter inch is N5,200.”

Alowonle Segun, a carpenter who nogs wood for the construction of parapets, explained how it works saying: “The cost of wood for concrete parapets on a two- or three-bedroom flats costs over N700,000, while the workmanship costs over N60,000. But for the aluminium parapet, you will need less workmanship fee of at least N30, 000 and woods of not less than N400,000.”

Mr. Christopher Balogun whose house is under construction lamented the increased cost of building materials saying that most of his friends, who acquire lands and build their properties to window level, are selling them to interested buyers, as they don’t have such huge amount for roofing a house, while struggling to cater for their family needs that is also on the rise due to inflation.

“The cost of building materials has increased over the years. In the beginning of the year, when I roofed my house, I spent over N2 million for parapet.

I bought 45 bags of cement and N700,000 worth of wood. The cost of iron for sitting was N600, 000 to N700,000. I bought two to three trips of sand and a small tipper of gravel that cost N150, 000. I paid N130,000 to the carpenter that nogged the wood for the parapet and paid N60,000 for bricklayers and helpers for the concrete finishing.

“A friend of mine that used the aluminium parapet said he spent nothing less than N900, 000 on the parapet. He said an aluminium parapet is N12, 000 per square meter.

“If he had told me earlier I would have opted for it because at the time I finished the roofing and parapet of my building, I had nothing left in my bank account.”

According to Balogun who is also a construction engineer, the expenses on both concrete and aluminum parapets are determined by the height of the wall, its thickness, and level of the building whether bungalow, 1st, 2nd, or 3rd floor, among other things.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/01/high-cost-of-cement-homeowners-go-for-aluminium-parapets/amp/

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: High Cost Of Cement: Homeowners Go For Aluminium Parapets by money121(m): 12:42pm On Jan 30, 2023
Pictures of Aluminium parapet

For cost of Aluminium parapet
Whatsapp 08085310359

5 Likes 5 Shares

Re: High Cost Of Cement: Homeowners Go For Aluminium Parapets by FalseProphet1(m): 1:10pm On Jan 30, 2023
I see Nigerians going back to using mud to build houses, I see APC urchins saying that mud house is stronger and better than concrete house, I see Tinubu commissioning several units of mud houses for urchins so that they can live there for free and keep defending him. I see rains washing away the houses, I see the urchins becoming homeless.

This I have seen.

253 Likes 23 Shares

Re: High Cost Of Cement: Homeowners Go For Aluminium Parapets by Jestin: 1:10pm On Jan 30, 2023
The Building will still look fine without parapet on it . Buhari was a mistake and Tinubu will be a bigger mistake

138 Likes 6 Shares

Re: High Cost Of Cement: Homeowners Go For Aluminium Parapets by Franklin24: 1:10pm On Jan 30, 2023
Hmm...interesting
Re: High Cost Of Cement: Homeowners Go For Aluminium Parapets by brosom(m): 1:10pm On Jan 30, 2023
Disadvantage of monopoly undecided

7 Likes

Re: High Cost Of Cement: Homeowners Go For Aluminium Parapets by Enasuarez(m): 1:10pm On Jan 30, 2023
Nawa oh.
Re: High Cost Of Cement: Homeowners Go For Aluminium Parapets by house10studios: 1:10pm On Jan 30, 2023
Na wow ohhh, soon block go rest na clay we go begin use

3 Likes

Re: High Cost Of Cement: Homeowners Go For Aluminium Parapets by VeryWickedGoat: 1:11pm On Jan 30, 2023
The aluminium go soon cost pass cement. No be Naija again?

Prices don't go up in Nigeria due to economic reasons, they go up because the sellers know the buyers have no alternative. Wicked people.

148 Likes 6 Shares

Re: High Cost Of Cement: Homeowners Go For Aluminium Parapets by Skill9ja: 1:11pm On Jan 30, 2023
To think some people are still queuing behind the evil party APC! Damn!

4 Likes

Re: High Cost Of Cement: Homeowners Go For Aluminium Parapets by hisgrace090: 1:11pm On Jan 30, 2023
Yes! Tackle the issue of high cost of building materials and see building collapse reduced drastically.

3 Likes

Re: High Cost Of Cement: Homeowners Go For Aluminium Parapets by damble: 1:11pm On Jan 30, 2023
House na house...

Building na building...

2 Likes

Re: High Cost Of Cement: Homeowners Go For Aluminium Parapets by Johnrake69: 1:12pm On Jan 30, 2023
This was what Yaradua was trying to avoid by issuing more import licence so as to crash the price of cement back in 2007.

Dangote even threatened a whole sitting President back then.

We never see anything. When Dangote is done with Nigerian economy many will be eating from the dustbin.

Cement is so expensive considering the fact that he pays almost nothing as royalties for our minerals. #25 per ton of limestone is what Dangote pays but price of cement is constantly on the increase. Dangote's economic impact means it's cheaper to import cement than buying the cement we manufacture in Nigeria.

Nigeria is currently in dire need of over 20 million additional units of housing to house it's teeming population according to UN report. With cement price becoming out of reach for the average Nigerian I wonder what the future holds for this country.

Next will be petroleum products.

Beggar thy country men has always been Dangote's ideology.

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: High Cost Of Cement: Homeowners Go For Aluminium Parapets by Winters23: 1:12pm On Jan 30, 2023
shocked
Re: High Cost Of Cement: Homeowners Go For Aluminium Parapets by tolexy007(m): 1:12pm On Jan 30, 2023
grin
Re: High Cost Of Cement: Homeowners Go For Aluminium Parapets by jamace(m): 1:12pm On Jan 30, 2023
Where the pictures of Aluminium parapet roofs?

2 Likes

Re: High Cost Of Cement: Homeowners Go For Aluminium Parapets by divide9ja: 1:13pm On Jan 30, 2023
This is the result of giving one person monopoly

9 Likes

Re: High Cost Of Cement: Homeowners Go For Aluminium Parapets by specialmati(m): 1:13pm On Jan 30, 2023
grin grin grin grin grin grin complain everywhere chai nawa only because they elect dead conscience and no solution men in government.well you guys should continue

1 Like

Re: High Cost Of Cement: Homeowners Go For Aluminium Parapets by Houseofglam7(f): 1:14pm On Jan 30, 2023
😩😫😩😫😩😩
Re: High Cost Of Cement: Homeowners Go For Aluminium Parapets by PrinceOfLagos: 1:15pm On Jan 30, 2023
And some nonentities that likes and endure sufferings in there miserable lives wants to vote for APC

7 Likes

Re: High Cost Of Cement: Homeowners Go For Aluminium Parapets by eddyline(m): 1:15pm On Jan 30, 2023
A picture of the concrete and aluminum parapet would have been great

2 Likes

Re: High Cost Of Cement: Homeowners Go For Aluminium Parapets by bonechamberlain(m): 1:15pm On Jan 30, 2023
FalseProphet1:
I see Nigerians going back to using mud to build houses, I see APC urchins saying that mud house is stronger and better than concrete house, I see Tinubu commissioning several units of mud houses for urchins so that they can live there for free and keep defending him. I see rains washing away the houses, I see the urchins becoming homeless.

This I have seen.
grin the cement cabal in Nigeria are too tough. Very few criminals holding this country to Ransome.
The first thing Obi should do when he becomes president is to destroy any form of monopoly existing in any sector. angry

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: High Cost Of Cement: Homeowners Go For Aluminium Parapets by adioolayi(m): 1:16pm On Jan 30, 2023
Is parapet a must

The cost of cement or aluminium parapets...all are additional, unnecessary cost...well, parapets beautify a building...what else

5 Likes

Re: High Cost Of Cement: Homeowners Go For Aluminium Parapets by jamesversion: 1:17pm On Jan 30, 2023
Atleast a picture of the aluminium parapets on buildings should have been displayed to buttress their claim.

Nigerian journalism has gone to the dogs.

2 Likes

Re: High Cost Of Cement: Homeowners Go For Aluminium Parapets by whela(m): 1:20pm On Jan 30, 2023
Show us pictures atleast..

2 Likes

Re: High Cost Of Cement: Homeowners Go For Aluminium Parapets by money121(m): 1:21pm On Jan 30, 2023
jamesversion:
Atleast a picture of the aluminium parapets on buildings should have been displayed to buttress their claim.

Nigerian journalism has gone to the dogs.

Aluminium parapet with Stone coated roofing

Whatsapp 08085310359

1 Like

Re: High Cost Of Cement: Homeowners Go For Aluminium Parapets by money121(m): 1:21pm On Jan 30, 2023
whela:
Show us pictures atleast..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Can My Husband Solve This House Problem? / The Making Of "Owerri Block Of 6 Flats" / Is Lagos Island Going Bananas?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.