Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,595 members, 7,816,475 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:43 AM

High Cost Of Cement: Nigerians Opt For Container Houses - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / High Cost Of Cement: Nigerians Opt For Container Houses (22382 Views)

Rising Cost Of Cement: We Can’t Own Houses Again - Nigerians Cry Out / High Cost Of Cement: Homeowners Go For Aluminium Parapets / How Many Bags Of Cement And Workmanship For 2bedroom Flat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

High Cost Of Cement: Nigerians Opt For Container Houses by Great100000: 2:19am On Mar 08
As the economic downturn continues, all areas of Nigerian lives and plans are also striving to grapple with the situation, as areas like housing and rent are also being affected.

Nigerians are used to building with cement, but now have to go for other alternatives, as the price of cement is now on the high side.

Gone are the days when a quarter plot owner who earns N50,000 monthly can hurriedly place one or two blocks on his or her land.

The high cost of cement has affected rent and even homeowners, who built their homes decades ago, also increased rents.

Economy&Lifestyle discovered that the high price of cement has made most people shift to building with containers which have long been in vogue but slowly adopted due to Nigerian’s addiction to cement.

Mr. Folawe Adeniran, an auto dealer in Benin said he wanted to build a brick office on leased land but changed his mind due to the cost of cement, block and sand.

“It took me nothing less than N2 million to build a two room and toilet a few years back when I started my business.

“Now I received a quotation of N4 million to do such on a lease land as I intend to build another branch for my business.

“The engineer told me that he had to cut costs to arrive at that figure which excludes workmanship.

“He cited the cost of cement and sand which is also affecting the price of blocks.

“I had to resort to building with containers.

“This building is made with containers and is heat free as people used to think building with containers attracts lots of heat.

“I spent less than N3 million to achieve this.

“If it were a permanent land, I would still opt for container building.

“Many business owners whose businesses require building on leased lands and personal lands are now using containers to build.

“That is what the economy has turned everyone to.

“Business is not smiling because the economy is not.

“It is only a well to do man involved in fraud that will be comfortable with the way the economy is.

“Even when you build with bricks in those days it takes you a few years to recover what you spent on such a building if it is for commercial purposes.

“I pity the average Nigerian who has plans on building. What will they build.?

“God help us.”

Mr. Friday Badmus, a trader, said he just made a container apartment on his quarter plot land when his rent got due last year.

“It was a funny day when my landlord told me in November that he wants to increase my rent of a two bedroom flat to N800,000 from N600,000.

“I was so worried because the place I have land was not well occupied by people yet and was thinking about how to raise N800,000 and still foot my family bills with low sales in business.

“I had made up my mind not to borrow but manage what I have to have peace of mind.

“My wife was the person who brought the idea of building a container apartment of a room and parlor.

“She brought her savings and I added mine and with support from family and friends we had our container building.

“You won’t even know it is built with a container if I don’t spill.”

Containers are now used to build houses in Nigeria, thanks to the advanced technology and production system.

According to Blessing George, a construction engineer: “The construction costs range from N100,000 – N150,000 per square meter, depending on final specification and finishing.

“These containers are used for transportation and can be converted to comfortable apartments with standard interior finishes and designs.”

He added: “The area where cement is required is the concrete foundation to place the containers.

“These container houses are mostly used for commercial purposes and personal apartments.

“The high price of cement which is making people seek for other building alternatives is pushing many to opt for the container houses.”

Market survey revealed that the price of a bag of cement ranges between N8,000 to N11,300 depending on the State. Cement was sold as high as N5,500 in January 2024.
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2024/03/high-cost-of-cement-nigerians-opt-for-container-houses/#:~:text=

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: High Cost Of Cement: Nigerians Opt For Container Houses by olisaEze(m): 2:29am On Mar 08
Nigerians have not opted for anything aside cement blocks for their buildings. Stop projecting ur poverty on others.

103 Likes 8 Shares

Re: High Cost Of Cement: Nigerians Opt For Container Houses by dominique(f): 2:57am On Mar 08
Metals are strong conductors of heat and electricity, wouldn't the trapped heat during the day turn the home into an oven?

93 Likes 5 Shares

Re: High Cost Of Cement: Nigerians Opt For Container Houses by Bahamas95(m): 2:58am On Mar 08
I am yet to see any Nigerian living in container houses apart from offices or security posts......They would rather build mud house and plaster with cement.

94 Likes 1 Share

Re: High Cost Of Cement: Nigerians Opt For Container Houses by Asonaijaaso: 3:11am On Mar 08
The day the government develops the balls to allow cheaper cement into the country.

Thats the day, the cement cabal (Dangote and co) will stop holding you to ransom.

Free raw material, import waivers, tax waivers, guaranteed consumers, monopolies, non-unionized cheap labor.

There is no reason cement should be expensive, even at marginal profit, they will still make alot of money by sale volumes.

Say no to cement price exploitation

75 Likes 3 Shares

Re: High Cost Of Cement: Nigerians Opt For Container Houses by Neduzze5(m): 6:45am On Mar 08
That's the way now.

Just go for simple tiny/minimalist houses. You and a few persons can lease lands together for over 5 or ten years and build something stunning there.

Check out this link for New Zealand tiny houses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chbEQxE--Go?si=wkvSj-lNGxqwZkmM

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: High Cost Of Cement: Nigerians Opt For Container Houses by Cassandraloius: 6:45am On Mar 08
Please who and where are the nigerian's that opted for this? cheesy grin
Na mud house be the best.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: High Cost Of Cement: Nigerians Opt For Container Houses by Passionnn: 6:46am On Mar 08
Mohamed Yakubu, it shall not be well with you

56 Likes 3 Shares

Re: High Cost Of Cement: Nigerians Opt For Container Houses by mytime24(f): 6:46am On Mar 08
Dangote d owner of Nigeria,

He knows 80% Northerns dnt use cement to build theirs houses 🏘️🏡

d more reason to wicked d SE/SS/SW his biggest customers wit 300% price hike

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: High Cost Of Cement: Nigerians Opt For Container Houses by ILoveNG: 6:47am On Mar 08
Lies
The Nigerians that I know would rather not build anything instead of not using cement and blocks. Wetin you want mek dem tell friends, family and fans?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: High Cost Of Cement: Nigerians Opt For Container Houses by Zetty177x: 6:47am On Mar 08
I'm tired of commenting on Nigeria's issues

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: High Cost Of Cement: Nigerians Opt For Container Houses by Adebaba1(m): 6:49am On Mar 08
The issue is the heat

1 Like

Re: High Cost Of Cement: Nigerians Opt For Container Houses by Port443: 6:49am On Mar 08
Sometimes I can't help but imagine if our leaders are mad. How can you design your country in such a way that you export oil produced in your country and still pay extremely higher and transportation fee to import it back. Only mad or extremely wicked people think like that.

Secondly, how can less than 5 companies make cement for more than 200 million people and foreigners and you expect price to be favorable within your country. Again only mad and or extremely wicked people reason like that

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: High Cost Of Cement: Nigerians Opt For Container Houses by Houseontherock1: 6:49am On Mar 08
For business, yes...but for residential construction nah
Re: High Cost Of Cement: Nigerians Opt For Container Houses by W0t0w0toman: 6:51am On Mar 08
Asonaijaaso:
The day the government develops the balls to allow cheaper cement into the country.

Thats the day, the cement cabal will stop holding you to ransom.

Free raw material, import waivers, tax waivers, guaranteed consumers, monopolies, non-unionized cheap labor.

There is no reason cement should be expensive, even at marginal profit, they will still make alot of money by sale volumes.

Say no to cement price exploitation

Everything that has a beginning, has an end. Whatever is up must surely come down.
Nitel did worse than this,... Today where are they?
Mtn and econet did worse than this when gsm started in Nigeria, today you know the rest of the story.

11 Likes

Re: High Cost Of Cement: Nigerians Opt For Container Houses by Stevenson20: 6:51am On Mar 08
This una propaganda is getting out of hand.
Nigerians are not opting for any container shit.

Monopoly given to Dangote and BUA is what's killing us. Give more licences to people,, bring back IBETO cement or better still start importation of cement and see how cement price will crash; Dangote and BUA will struggle to make it.

13 Likes

Re: High Cost Of Cement: Nigerians Opt For Container Houses by israelmao(m): 6:52am On Mar 08
Pure deception.There's no single container house in my area,people are still building with cement.

2 Likes

Re: High Cost Of Cement: Nigerians Opt For Container Houses by jmoore(m): 6:52am On Mar 08
dominique:
Metals are strong conductors of heat and electricity, wouldn't the trapped heat during the day turn the home into an oven?
Thermal insulation is used.

3 Likes

Re: High Cost Of Cement: Nigerians Opt For Container Houses by Ekpeitut: 6:52am On Mar 08
dominique:

Thermal insulation and proper ventilation should ensure the heat is not conducted into the living space. We should learn to apply the knowledge we spent years in school acquiring.

A switch to alternative building materials is a welcomed development.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: High Cost Of Cement: Nigerians Opt For Container Houses by nairalee(m): 6:52am On Mar 08
By the time we slide backward to 100 years ago that's when Nigerians will understand when we were warning to vote on merit not sentiments.

7 Likes

Re: High Cost Of Cement: Nigerians Opt For Container Houses by Blackfire(m): 6:53am On Mar 08
Na wa o
Re: High Cost Of Cement: Nigerians Opt For Container Houses by composure: 6:53am On Mar 08
It will favour me and my family crew,,, where una deyyyyyyyy...

4 Likes

Re: High Cost Of Cement: Nigerians Opt For Container Houses by Salubata(m): 6:54am On Mar 08
What about the heat
Re: High Cost Of Cement: Nigerians Opt For Container Houses by Mercury12(m): 6:55am On Mar 08
dominique:
Air condition system to the rescue 😂

2 Likes

Re: High Cost Of Cement: Nigerians Opt For Container Houses by ehiski23: 6:58am On Mar 08
dominique:
Conductors do not trap heat but allows easy passage therefore it is going to be cold at night

2 Likes

Re: High Cost Of Cement: Nigerians Opt For Container Houses by Judolisco(m): 6:59am On Mar 08
Lol... Lamba

1 Like

Re: High Cost Of Cement: Nigerians Opt For Container Houses by MichaelSokoto(m): 6:59am On Mar 08
our igbo brodas to d rescue!

cool
Re: High Cost Of Cement: Nigerians Opt For Container Houses by simplepee(f): 7:00am On Mar 08
olisaEze:
Nigerians have not opted for anything aside cement blocks for their buildings. Stop projecting ur poverty on others.
How is building with a container poverty? Omugo adatolenu.

6 Likes

Re: High Cost Of Cement: Nigerians Opt For Container Houses by MichaelSokoto(m): 7:01am On Mar 08
Bahamas95:
I am yet to see any Nigerian living in container houses apart from offices or security posts......They would rather build mud house and plaster with cement.
dey play!

2 Likes

Re: High Cost Of Cement: Nigerians Opt For Container Houses by crackhouse(m): 7:01am On Mar 08
Nigerians won't even do that

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

#ItaFaaji: LASG Takes Over The Land, Begins Massive Demolition In Lagos Island / How To Know If An Agent Is Lying To You / Fire Razes School, Hotel In Akwa Ibom (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.