Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,650 members, 7,816,665 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:44 PM

Why Do Some Aeroplanes Get Sprayed With Water At The Airport? - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Do Some Aeroplanes Get Sprayed With Water At The Airport? (36316 Views)

Aeroplanes Can Now Refuel At The Anambra Airport / Nigeria’s Commercial Airlines Fly Africa’s Oldest Aeroplanes / Man Wears All His Clothes At The Airport To Avoid British Airways Luggage Fees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Some Aeroplanes Get Sprayed With Water At The Airport? by Xandelle: 12:24pm On Feb 01, 2023
Antoeni:
Am Tired of Pretending, Please Why Do They Pour Water On international Flights On Arrival?

OK lots of wrong info on first page, so I'll like you to post this answer when you see it.

Now remember in harmattan season when you try to remove your cloth, and it crackles because it has been electrically charged?

Remember when you rub your pen on your hair and it becomes electrically charged?

Now the same thing happens to planes after flying for a while. With all the friction with air, it becomes electrically charged, so to neutralize this charge and prevent something horrible from happening, water is sprayed on the plane, or a cord from the plane is dropped to earth, or both.

This neutralizes the charge and any spark that can trigger an explosion.

Paste this reply under your OP so that people will learn. None of the replies on page 1 has the accurate answer.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Aeroplanes Get Sprayed With Water At The Airport? by Battlepanda4: 12:27pm On Feb 01, 2023
The spraying of airplanes as they land is a tradition known as the “water salute.” As explained by Wikipedia, it's performed for ceremonial purposes, such as the retirement of an airplane. When an airplane makes its final flight, it's honored with the water salute once it lands on the tarmac.
Re: Why Do Some Aeroplanes Get Sprayed With Water At The Airport? by Homguy(m): 12:28pm On Feb 01, 2023
Antoeni:
Am Tired of Pretending, Please Why Do They Pour Water On international Flights On Arrival?
Seriously why are people saying all these.

This is a process of spraying antifreeze on the plane. Planes fly at very high altitude with a risk of ice forming over the flight surfaces on the wings and airspeed sensor causing the plane to lose lift provided by the wings. This is especially important when traveling to colder climate.
Re: Why Do Some Aeroplanes Get Sprayed With Water At The Airport? by Goodlady(f): 12:31pm On Feb 01, 2023
Toks2008:

That guy nah imposter o grin

Check the ID again, it's different from mine.
seriously?
Too many kidposters here o. Na so Dem show me pepper with my other moniker and real nickname sweetplum. Till I got tired n deactivated it
Re: Why Do Some Aeroplanes Get Sprayed With Water At The Airport? by Goodlady(f): 12:32pm On Feb 01, 2023
Legendrysailor:
for quoting me empty, you ll nor see fuel to buy n cash to withdraw this week, amen.
Re: Why Do Some Aeroplanes Get Sprayed With Water At The Airport? by Hassanmaye(m): 12:36pm On Feb 01, 2023
Legendrysailor:

To avoid being damaged by BATS from Bala blu
Hahahhahahaha
Re: Why Do Some Aeroplanes Get Sprayed With Water At The Airport? by Hassanmaye(m): 12:37pm On Feb 01, 2023
dawnomike:
It is not ordinary water, it is disinfectants to prevent micro organisms from other countries the plane might have been through.
This prevent non native organisms from spreading in the country
Wow I Love this, thank you so much sir

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Aeroplanes Get Sprayed With Water At The Airport? by oluebube8q: 12:48pm On Feb 01, 2023
It's Chlorine water - a disinfectantIt's Chlorine water - a disinfectant...
Re: Why Do Some Aeroplanes Get Sprayed With Water At The Airport? by Joshcoli(m): 12:48pm On Feb 01, 2023
Antoeni:

Aircraft are often sprayed with water for several reasons, including:

Cooling: The water can help to cool down the plane after it has landed, which is especially important for planes that operate in hot climates.

Cleaning: The water can help to remove dirt and debris from the plane's surface, which is important for maintaining the appearance of the plane and ensuring its longevity.

De-icing: In cold weather conditions, the water can be used to remove ice or snow from the plane's wings, tail, and other critical surfaces, which is important for maintaining the plane's aerodynamics and preventing it from becoming too heavy to fly safely.

Celebratory tradition: In some cultures, it is also a tradition to spray water on planes as a sign of celebration, such as when a new plane is delivered to an airline or when a plane returns home after a long deployment.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Aeroplanes Get Sprayed With Water At The Airport? by CCC2(m): 12:55pm On Feb 01, 2023
It is a ritual assumed to have a heavy consequence, just like the crossing-the-line ritual performed in the ship when it is about to cross the equator.
Re: Why Do Some Aeroplanes Get Sprayed With Water At The Airport? by opeey(m): 12:57pm On Feb 01, 2023
Antoeni:
To celebrate the retirement of a pilot flying his last flight, or for an inaugural flight or aircraft on a new route.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Aeroplanes Get Sprayed With Water At The Airport? by Psoul(m): 1:39pm On Feb 01, 2023
Antoeni:

Just the same thing students do on their graduation or final year exam.
Water Ritual
Re: Why Do Some Aeroplanes Get Sprayed With Water At The Airport? by Princeton92(m): 1:59pm On Feb 01, 2023
dawnomike:
It is not ordinary water, it is disinfectants to prevent micro organisms from other countries the plane might have been through.

What if the temperature of the water helps it spread?
Re: Why Do Some Aeroplanes Get Sprayed With Water At The Airport? by Princeton92(m): 2:00pm On Feb 01, 2023
Antoeni:
first or last flight of a pilot and also sometimes when the aircraft is new and had it's first flight in the landing destination
Na only this one wey I sabi for here oh... I dunno what the rest are saying sha
Re: Why Do Some Aeroplanes Get Sprayed With Water At The Airport? by winner37(m): 2:16pm On Feb 01, 2023
I think is to clean it from dust and cool the system..
Re: Why Do Some Aeroplanes Get Sprayed With Water At The Airport? by mich2012: 2:18pm On Feb 01, 2023
So, when naija people say "wash your car or house" for me, this is what we should be doing. Nice!
Re: Why Do Some Aeroplanes Get Sprayed With Water At The Airport? by sylve11: 2:43pm On Feb 01, 2023
Tokskob2008:

You are right but it might not make FP for at least some days to come. If it were to be "see the catfish I bought for #50 and how I ate it" with just two or three post you will see it on the FP....

grin cool
Re: Why Do Some Aeroplanes Get Sprayed With Water At The Airport? by nedekid: 2:45pm On Feb 01, 2023
dawnomike:
Lol.
interesting.
Re: Why Do Some Aeroplanes Get Sprayed With Water At The Airport? by Jackipapa: 2:50pm On Feb 01, 2023
The spraying of airplanes as they land is a tradition known as the “water salute.” It's performed for ceremonial purposes, such as the retirement of an airplane. When an airplane makes its final flight, it's honored with the water salute once it lands on the tarmac
Re: Why Do Some Aeroplanes Get Sprayed With Water At The Airport? by cedricksly: 3:09pm On Feb 01, 2023
Antoeni:
it is called a water salute.. This is usually done ceremonially eg, when an airplane is to be retired, maybe that is the last time it will be used, or it is also done when a pilot on the plain is retiring and that flight was his/her last/retirement flight..... It can also be done when a new plain is launched and tested for the first time... Just Google Plane Water Salute and you will be amazed..

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Aeroplanes Get Sprayed With Water At The Airport? by Igieso: 3:15pm On Feb 01, 2023
Tokskob2008:

You are right but it might not make FP for at least some days to come. If it were to be "see the catfish I bought for #50 and how I ate it" with just two or three post you will see it on the FP....

Hahaha, very funny. grin
Re: Why Do Some Aeroplanes Get Sprayed With Water At The Airport? by magzey: 3:19pm On Feb 01, 2023
A to wash KORONA stink from Obodo Oyingbo

Re: Why Do Some Aeroplanes Get Sprayed With Water At The Airport? by ussv: 3:41pm On Feb 01, 2023
It`s a de-icing agent. A de-icing liquid.
Re: Why Do Some Aeroplanes Get Sprayed With Water At The Airport? by lookingfly: 3:50pm On Feb 01, 2023
Mynd44:
This is a water salute.

It is used to mark the retirement of a senior pilot, the first or last flight of an aeroplane to an airport or the first and last flight of a particular aeroplane model
wow, does it mean planes don't get dirty outwardly like cars and need a wash?
Re: Why Do Some Aeroplanes Get Sprayed With Water At The Airport? by Elidrisy20: 4:21pm On Feb 01, 2023
Na because the plane don tire
Re: Why Do Some Aeroplanes Get Sprayed With Water At The Airport? by UnabashedIPOB: 4:38pm On Feb 01, 2023
It's called a "water salute."it’s usually done for ceremonial purposes, for instance, when an airplane or a pilot is being retired. Actually, the water is NOT hitting the plane directly as you can see in the picture.
Re: Why Do Some Aeroplanes Get Sprayed With Water At The Airport? by Okhuadams(m): 5:00pm On Feb 01, 2023
Antoeni:
Over heating

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Aeroplanes Get Sprayed With Water At The Airport? by norriswood(m): 5:08pm On Feb 01, 2023
Pwettylinda:
Thiefnubuu should be arrested and jailed for drug trafficking 😏😏
..eranko omo
Re: Why Do Some Aeroplanes Get Sprayed With Water At The Airport? by SodiumValproate: 5:31pm On Feb 01, 2023
Tokskob2008:

Ahnie grin
Re: Why Do Some Aeroplanes Get Sprayed With Water At The Airport? by Antoeni(m): 6:09pm On Feb 01, 2023
OK lots of wrong info on first page, so I'll like you to post this answer when you see it.

Now remember in harmattan season when you try to remove your cloth, and it crackles because it has been electrically charged?

Remember when you rub your pen on your hair and it becomes electrically charged?

Now the same thing happens to planes after flying for a while. With all the friction with air, it becomes electrically charged, so to neutralize this charge and prevent something horrible from happening, water is sprayed on the plane, or a cord from the plane is dropped to earth, or both.

This neutralizes the charge and any spark that can trigger an explosion.
Antoeni:
Re: Why Do Some Aeroplanes Get Sprayed With Water At The Airport? by SPAMBOX7: 9:31pm On Feb 01, 2023
Tokskob2008:

No be lie grin
Re: Why Do Some Aeroplanes Get Sprayed With Water At The Airport? by Blackdisciple(m): 10:45pm On Feb 01, 2023
It's mostly a special welcome sha

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lagos-ibadan Expressway Gridlock In Pictures / Who's To Blame For This Overload: The Truck, VIO, Or The Driver? (Video) / Lets Talk Dubai

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.