Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,897 members, 7,814,034 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:39 AM

Communities, Markets In Sokoto Abandon Naira, Trade In CFA Over Scarcity Of New - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Communities, Markets In Sokoto Abandon Naira, Trade In CFA Over Scarcity Of New (27604 Views)

New Naira Scarcity: Sokoto, Zamfara, Katsina Border Residents Trade In CFA / List Of Top Markets In Kano And The Distinct Items Being Sold / 10 Biggest And Busiest Markets In Nigeria That Are Saving The Nation From Hunger (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Communities, Markets In Sokoto Abandon Naira, Trade In CFA Over Scarcity Of New by dre11(m): 12:31pm On Feb 01, 2023
EXCLUSIVE: Nigerian Communities, Markets In Sokoto Abandon Naira, Trade In CFA Over Scarcity Of New Notes

Residents of some communities and markets in the Illela Local Government Area of Sokoto State have begun to abandon the Nigerian currency for CFA franc because of the shortage of New Naira Notes, SaharaReporters has gathered.

Investigations showed that Illela, a border town with Niger Republic and of about 105 kilometres from Sokoto, capital city of Sokoto State, now has most of its traders and residents trading, selling and buying in CFA franc.

The Nigerian Central Bank, CBN had earlier set the deadline for the old N200, N500 and N1000 for January 31, 2023 but due to the scarcity of the new naira notes and its attendant effects on the economy, the apex bank extended the deadline for the exchange of old naira notes for newly designed ones till February 10.

A resident of Sabon-Gari, a town in Illela of Local Government Area, identified as Yusuf Sani revealed to SaharaReporters that he had changed all his Naira notes to CFA because of the difficulty in getting New Naira Notes in the region.

“I decided to have only CFA because people are not collecting Old Naira Notes again. The ATM does not even dispense. You can only get New Naira Note from POS, which is around N200 to N300 per N1,000.

“This is why it is safe to have CFA
,” he explained.

According to Sani, it will be easier for him to spend the foreign currency because his town is close to some communities in the Niger Republic.

Abu, a trader at the ILLELA International Cattle Market, added that while it is not unusual to see some traders using CFA in the markets, most traders now exclusively use CFA due to the non-circulation of the New Naira Notes.

He said, In this market, we have many people from neighbouring countries that come here to do business, particularly in cattle. So they bring foreign currency like CFA. But for the past few weeks, spending of Naira is now becoming difficult because no one is ready to collect the old Naira notes.”

Days ago, the Arewa Consultative Forum, the northern socio-cultural group, had urged the Nigerian government to prolong the deadline for the expiration and collection of old naira notes in the country.

In a statement issued by Bello Galadanci, Publicity Secretary, Arewa Consultative Forum, ACF, Kano State Chapter, the group had said the public was suffering greatly as a result of people's refusal to accept old naira notes in commercial transactions out of concern that they might not be able to deposit them in commercial banks.

The statement had read: “This has currently made life more difficult for ordinary citizens, because banks, up till now, still give out the old naira notes to customers with the deadline only a few days away.

“We appeal to the Federal Government to reconsider its decision by extending the deadline for the expiration of old naira notes to enable residents to swap their old naira with the new naira notes.”

https://saharareporters.com/2023/02/01/exclusive-nigerian-communities-markets-sokoto-abandon-naira-trade-cfa-over-scarcity-new

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Communities, Markets In Sokoto Abandon Naira, Trade In CFA Over Scarcity Of New by inoki247: 12:33pm On Feb 01, 2023
Lol I talk am....

Mumu Govt with stupid policy's too much currency they outside nd politicians na him make economy dey upside down Naira wey dey outside reach Cefa wey dey outside still the Money na him strong pass for West Africa right now towards Dollar...

Naso dem lock border den say na neighboring countries dey make life hard for us till now we no see any changes instead na more problem we get Rice rate sky rocket, price of goods jump up Cefa high pass Naira....

One time dem say na NiN we du am we are still not immune to kidnapping....

Where this people dey get derr Policy's from I'm not sure is from this world....

The Next President even if he no see anything du like Jonathan make he sha dey emotional to the masses like him... him Govt is corrupt buh him Govt dey reason with the masses....

And I don't know how we got here it seems everything wey this Govt dey du we are all cool with no protest nothing nothing....

75 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Communities, Markets In Sokoto Abandon Naira, Trade In CFA Over Scarcity Of New by JasonScoolari: 12:44pm On Feb 01, 2023
Quite unfortunate that everyone is suffering from the mistake of some miserable animals who enthroned a failure like Buhari out of religion, tribal, regional sentiments and to spite some other regions.

2days ago in my area here in Warri, a motor boy of one pure water company was left with swollen lips and broken nose because he was telling the woman who he went to supply water that he prefers Tinubu to be president... Some guys hearing what he said advised him not to repeat that statement again, but he was proving to be political sound.. The visibly frustrated guys had no option but to show him the Warri kind of "Love"

The driver had to quickly whisk him away to avoid a total onslaught.

We are tired of APC and their stupidity.

Vote Wisely.

119 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Communities, Markets In Sokoto Abandon Naira, Trade In CFA Over Scarcity Of New by starstaz(m): 1:25pm On Feb 01, 2023
inoki247:
Lol I talk am....

Mumu Govt with stupid policy's too much currency they outside nd politicians na him make economy dey upside down Naira wey dey outside reach Cefa wey dey outside still the Money na him strong pass for West Africa right now towards Dollar...

Naso dem lock border den say na neighboring countries dey make life hard for us till now we no see any changes instead na more problem we get Rice rate sky rocket, price of goods jump up Cefa high pass Naira....

One time dem say na NiN we du am we are still not immune to kidnapping....

Where this people dey get derr Policy's from I'm not sure is from this world....

The Next President even if he no see anything du like Jonathan make he sha dey emotional to the masses like him... him Govt is corrupt buh him Govt dey reason with the masses....

And I don't know how we got here it seems everything wey this Govt dey du we are all cool with no protest nothing nothing....

They always copy unstable countries like Lebanon and Afghanistan. Lebanon practice currency swaps and hostile policies few years back, what happened. Their economy crashed and become a yoyo - using Mike Ozekhome yoyo language.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Communities, Markets In Sokoto Abandon Naira, Trade In CFA Over Scarcity Of New by MajorOvakporaye(f): 3:15pm On Feb 01, 2023
Tinupoo Oto ge!!! Demented bastard. We have rejected you.

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Communities, Markets In Sokoto Abandon Naira, Trade In CFA Over Scarcity Of New by marlow1962(m): 3:15pm On Feb 01, 2023
Vote apc for another 8 years of hardship.

Any urchin wer go quote me, better akpala go strike you. Na u and hu wn die for suffering?🤬

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Communities, Markets In Sokoto Abandon Naira, Trade In CFA Over Scarcity Of New by Jack500: 3:15pm On Feb 01, 2023
Emefiele should be arrested and hang.

The worst CBN governor in history.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Communities, Markets In Sokoto Abandon Naira, Trade In CFA Over Scarcity Of New by BeauBragnar11: 3:15pm On Feb 01, 2023
grin
Re: Communities, Markets In Sokoto Abandon Naira, Trade In CFA Over Scarcity Of New by Cosmatikka: 3:15pm On Feb 01, 2023
Thief-nubu must lose
He never begin cry sef

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Communities, Markets In Sokoto Abandon Naira, Trade In CFA Over Scarcity Of New by slivertongue: 3:15pm On Feb 01, 2023
Emefielenomics

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Communities, Markets In Sokoto Abandon Naira, Trade In CFA Over Scarcity Of New by fergieboy: 3:16pm On Feb 01, 2023
It’s for the best

3 Likes

Re: Communities, Markets In Sokoto Abandon Naira, Trade In CFA Over Scarcity Of New by Babaebe: 3:16pm On Feb 01, 2023
H

Re: Communities, Markets In Sokoto Abandon Naira, Trade In CFA Over Scarcity Of New by Lionmachala(m): 3:16pm On Feb 01, 2023
Inside life
Re: Communities, Markets In Sokoto Abandon Naira, Trade In CFA Over Scarcity Of New by dayleke: 3:17pm On Feb 01, 2023
Next level
Re: Communities, Markets In Sokoto Abandon Naira, Trade In CFA Over Scarcity Of New by emmabest2000(m): 3:17pm On Feb 01, 2023
marlow1962:
Vote apc for another 8 years of hardship.

Any urchin wer go quote me, better akpala go strike you. Na u and hu wn die for suffering?🤬

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Communities, Markets In Sokoto Abandon Naira, Trade In CFA Over Scarcity Of New by Nobody: 3:17pm On Feb 01, 2023
JasonScoolari:
Quite unfortunate that everyone is suffering from the mistake of some miserable animals who enthroned a failure like Buhari out of religion, tribal, regional sentiments and to spite some other regions.

2days ago in my area here in Warri, a motor boy of one pure water company was left with swollen lips and broken nose because he was telling the woman who he went to supply water that he prefers Tinubu to be president... Some guys hearing what he said advised him not to repeat that statement again, but he was proving to be political sound.. The visibly frustrated guys had no option but to show him the Warri kind of "Love"

The driver had to quickly whisk him away to avoid a total onslaught.

We are tired of APC and their stupidity.

Vote Wisely.

Gibberish!

Stop using "We" . You are permitted to use "I"

Who made you a mouthpiece for all?

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Communities, Markets In Sokoto Abandon Naira, Trade In CFA Over Scarcity Of New by backtovillage: 3:18pm On Feb 01, 2023
Abeg make CFA reach southwest abeg

1 Like

Re: Communities, Markets In Sokoto Abandon Naira, Trade In CFA Over Scarcity Of New by RichDad1(m): 3:18pm On Feb 01, 2023
Emefiele is the most useless CBN governor ever. As at today, to get #5000 from the POS operator you gave to pay #500 commission. The implication of this is, for every #5000 you have in the bank, the value has been reduced to #4500.
The politicians Emefiele and his cohorts are said they’re trying to checkmate will not feel the brunt of this vindictive policy. It’s the common man on the street that will pay the price.
Same happens in India and the aftermath was catastrophic.
Any discerning mind should condemn the Emefiele for trying to weaponize the CBN.
He delved into politics as against the CBN rule, lost and now raging like a scorned lover.

19 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Communities, Markets In Sokoto Abandon Naira, Trade In CFA Over Scarcity Of New by Lionmachala(m): 3:18pm On Feb 01, 2023
Example.. when u married two wife
Re: Communities, Markets In Sokoto Abandon Naira, Trade In CFA Over Scarcity Of New by madridguy(m): 3:18pm On Feb 01, 2023
Good decision. I wish I also stay close to badagry, i would have adopt same policy too.

1 Like

Re: Communities, Markets In Sokoto Abandon Naira, Trade In CFA Over Scarcity Of New by dammywapes(m): 3:18pm On Feb 01, 2023
Things have never been this worst haa this is too much to bear…. 😢

3 Likes

Re: Communities, Markets In Sokoto Abandon Naira, Trade In CFA Over Scarcity Of New by potbelly(m): 3:18pm On Feb 01, 2023
I dont think this has happened before...
Buhari and APC well done....

2 Likes

Re: Communities, Markets In Sokoto Abandon Naira, Trade In CFA Over Scarcity Of New by Wickedtruths: 3:18pm On Feb 01, 2023
Emefiele should be tried for treason and shot

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Communities, Markets In Sokoto Abandon Naira, Trade In CFA Over Scarcity Of New by Theunbothered: 3:19pm On Feb 01, 2023
After rejecting the regional currency it has been implemented by force

1 Like

Re: Communities, Markets In Sokoto Abandon Naira, Trade In CFA Over Scarcity Of New by Waffarianman(m): 3:19pm On Feb 01, 2023
Jack500:
Emefiele should be arrested and hang.

The worst CBN governor in history.

You kn weda na buhari dey behind all D's rubbish Wen de go on becoz na only emefiele we de hear

1 Like

Re: Communities, Markets In Sokoto Abandon Naira, Trade In CFA Over Scarcity Of New by Nobody: 3:19pm On Feb 01, 2023
Emefiele just landed in the dark side of the history

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Communities, Markets In Sokoto Abandon Naira, Trade In CFA Over Scarcity Of New by PrinceOfLagos: 3:20pm On Feb 01, 2023
APC , the most useless political party in the world right now

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Communities, Markets In Sokoto Abandon Naira, Trade In CFA Over Scarcity Of New by Waffarianman(m): 3:20pm On Feb 01, 2023
I kn buhari and APC behind al D's to rig this election in favour of their party
Re: Communities, Markets In Sokoto Abandon Naira, Trade In CFA Over Scarcity Of New by PrinceOfLagos: 3:20pm On Feb 01, 2023
Wickedtruths:
Emefiele should be tried for treason and shot
why is Tinubu hoarding money for election ?
Re: Communities, Markets In Sokoto Abandon Naira, Trade In CFA Over Scarcity Of New by Johnbullirabor7(m): 3:21pm On Feb 01, 2023
I no even see meat buy to cook
Re: Communities, Markets In Sokoto Abandon Naira, Trade In CFA Over Scarcity Of New by Lionmachala(m): 3:22pm On Feb 01, 2023
“I decided to have only CFA because people are not collecting Old Naira Notes again. The ATM does not even dispense. You can only get New Naira Note from POS, which is around N200 to N300 per N1,000.

“This is why it is safe to have CFA,” he explained.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Businesses You Can Run In Nigeria From Abroad / How To Validate Your BVN For The N50billion CBN COVID-19 Loan / Naira Crashes To 1,030/$ As Speculators React

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.