Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,591 members, 7,812,922 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:40 PM

How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace (9631 Views)

How Did You Cope In A New Job Where You Had No Experience? / How Did You Cope With The Pain Of Job Rejection? / How Will You Cope If You Lose Your Job or Source of Income Today? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by jonili(m): 9:24pm On Feb 01, 2023
I've seen numerous topics in the past about toxic workplaces but I never thought I was going to find myself in one of them. Share your experience and how you were able cope till you left.

I'll go first.

My current employers are indians, I've heard stories about them and how toxic they are, but I am not the type to generalize, I always believe most of those people who complains were just unlucky to meet mean indian bosses but my perception about them is changing, between Dec 2022 and Jan 2023, more than 8 people have resigned, some left without resigning just to have peace. Salaries are paid towards the end of another month, no confirmation for staffs, no appraisals, no promotion or salary increase, no good process, people are always assigned tasks that aren't their responsibilities, bosses always nagging, with narcissistic tendencies.

They lack good leadership skills, their only method of communication is to yell at you, they would try to intimidate you, blame you for their mistakes, they also believe they can always get away with anything. I feel the only I feel the only way to manage the situation is to get away from the toxic environment.
Now I feel like resigning just to clear my head but I can't quite just to sit at home and they are very much aware of the high unemployment rate in Nigeria, that gives them even more confidence to mistreat Nigerians.

Share your experience on how you were able to cope before getting another opportunity.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by chiefolododo(m): 9:28pm On Feb 01, 2023
Do all you can to achieve peace

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by rickpat(m): 9:35pm On Feb 01, 2023
let your salary give you peace ..if not QUIT

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by jonili(m): 9:49pm On Feb 01, 2023
rickpat:
let your salary give you peace ..if not QUIT

I used to think it's all about the money, little did I know

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by jonili(m): 9:50pm On Feb 01, 2023
chiefolododo:
Do all you can to achieve peace

That's the goal this year, but it's so sad that nobody regulates the excesses of these foreigners

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by Goodlady(f): 1:03pm On Feb 02, 2023
I no fit cope. I resign with any slight opportunity. There was a time I taught briefly in a sec sch in Abj for 3months.
The day I gave the principal hot response, she became normal and accorded me due respect since that day.

I v heard about how terrible Indians and Lebanese are.
Nigerian law in favour of employees is presently weaker than the law in favour of employers. If not, indians n Lebanese ll be regular scape goats to govts. But we are getting there.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by YoungLionken(m): 1:05pm On Feb 02, 2023
The best way to suppress and eventually overcome any pain/toxicity from people, is to begin to enjoy it (pain)..

Motivate and encourage yourself to believe that it's part of the process. With this mindset, there's nothing you won't overcome...

7 Likes

Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by dayleke: 1:05pm On Feb 02, 2023
By His grace or resign

1 Like

Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by Omoapena(m): 1:05pm On Feb 02, 2023
What kind of firm is it and are the employees not under any external union to regulate the affairs with the employer...

1 Like

Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by pejuakinab: 1:05pm On Feb 02, 2023
Call a town hall meeting for them, but this particular one must be different from balablu.
I believe the aftermath will make them OBIdient to you as a bonafide citizen.

16 Likes

Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by seanwilliam(m): 1:05pm On Feb 02, 2023
Peace is underrated

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by GloriousGbola: 1:06pm On Feb 02, 2023
jonili:
I've seen numerous topics in the past about toxic workplaces but I never thought I was going to find myself in one of them. Share your experience and how you were able cope till you left.

I'll go first.

My current employers are indians, I've heard stories about them and how toxic they are, but I am not the type to generalize, I always believe most of those people who complains were just unlucky to meet mean indian bosses but my perception about them is changing, between Dec 2022 and Jan 2023, more than 8 people have resigned, some left without resigning just to have peace. Salaries are paid towards the end of another month, no confirmation for staffs, no appraisals, no promotion or salary increase, no good process, people are always assigned tasks that aren't their responsibilities, bosses always nagging, with narcissistic tendencies.

They lack good leadership skills, their only method of communication is to yell at you, they would try to intimidate you, blame you for their mistakes, they also believe they can always get away with anything. I feel the only I feel the only way to manage the situation is to get away from the toxic environment.
Now I feel like resigning just to clear my head but I can't quite just to sit at home and they are very much aware of the high unemployment rate in Nigeria, that gives them even more confidence to mistreat Nigerians.

Share your experience on how you were able to cope before getting another opportunity.

One day at at time.

Unfortunately the cadre of Indians and Lebanese typically deployed to third world countries are the toxic leadership kind.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by blacksam01: 1:07pm On Feb 02, 2023
Goodlady:
I no fit cope. I resign with any slight opportunity.

cuz ur still a dependant

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by Nobody: 1:07pm On Feb 02, 2023
Most people who ask these type of questions are toxic themselves

4 Likes

Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by Julibet: 1:07pm On Feb 02, 2023
Never temper with your mental peace.

4 Likes

Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by EngrKemp: 1:08pm On Feb 02, 2023
jonili:

That's the goal this year, but it's so sad that nobody regulates the excesses of these foreigners
Which nationals?indians ofcos..

Look bro ,there are many Indians in Nigeria than Nigerians in India.

Where they come from,they hustle for Nigeria visa like crazy.

They are not good sometimes they only learn the work here in Nigeria using the locals.

Just look for another job and make sure u v enough evidence in record being a video evidence or record or so to nail them hard .
Once u v enough of the evidence , contact me ,or u go to a solid human right lawyer to institute a legal action on them

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by dayleke: 1:08pm On Feb 02, 2023
It's because they know they can get away with it.
The government is not helping matters when it comes to this.
Nigerians can not get away with this in their country.

Na wah o...

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by sofeo(m): 1:09pm On Feb 02, 2023
Alright!
Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by Mindlog: 1:09pm On Feb 02, 2023
Plan my exit.
Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by efembaba(m): 1:09pm On Feb 02, 2023
Tell us the industry and possibly the company's name.

You have nothing to fear.

Also doesn't Nigeria have any labour laws and those who enforce these laws?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by mainman7(m): 1:11pm On Feb 02, 2023
I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw some Brian-dead Coward Southerners having the effrontery to call Wike coward, these Brainless Directionaless Hopeless Useless Sad Souls have never done anything close to what Sunday Igboho did to Courageously DisPower the Invaders.

Those that inavded Nigeria Centuries ago with Plan to take over our Ancestral FatherLand and eternally Enslave all on it are the ones manipulating Orginal Nigeirans against one another. Remember how Ethnicity and Tribalism was non-Existent throughout 8 Years Tenue of the great Olusegun Obasanjo because he sees all Indigenous Nigeirans as his Brothers and Sisters, and gave all Tribes top Positions in Government with Ethnic Frivolities.

No matter how the Invaders Pretend to love you and use you against your Southern Brothers, the "Born to Rule" Mentality with which they came would always make them see you as their Slaves. Only by Igbos, Yorubas, Hausas, Kanuris and others Uniting to Support Tinubu that is best Positioned to wrest Power from their hand this Month, only by that shall we ensure that their Wicked Plan will never see the Light of Day. This is the bitter Truth that some may not Love to hear, but the Truth is the Truth and Scripture says "You can do nothing against the Truth but for the Truth."

God has the Veto Power on whom to chose to use to help a People. Indigenous Nigerians Urgently Need Help! If you People miss this Opportunity... If God has chosen someone to help Prevent a People from becoming eternally Enslaved and brutally killed, it is only Self-destructive foolishness that would make the People to Reject and Command God on whom to use to save their Dangerous Situation.

May your senseless myopic Hate for Tinubu never make you give your neck to your Enemies that have fully Prepare to cut it off!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by lordkush: 1:12pm On Feb 02, 2023
I’ll burn down the place and go home
Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by FreeStuffsNG: 1:13pm On Feb 02, 2023
There are Nigerians doing same. I pity folks at the receiving end so I always do my best to destroy such culture anywhere I am privileged to work and lead.

Just be sure you are not the problem, be meticulous, effecient , extremely brilliant and keep records of everything, you will thank me later wink
check my signature for free stuffs!

4 Likes

Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by CaptainSpatial(m): 1:13pm On Feb 02, 2023
Guess Nigerian bosses are even the worst, what I'll never understand is blaming others for your mistake.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by iwaeda: 1:14pm On Feb 02, 2023
jonili:

I'll go first.

Be friendly, but mind you own business. I once worked in such environment, but I survived. grin grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by Toneypen247(m): 1:15pm On Feb 02, 2023
Hmm
Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by FuckDModz: 1:15pm On Feb 02, 2023
grin

I'm the toxic boss.

We've already worked hard to create a favourable environment.

Work hard or get fired!

Complain too much and get fired!

It's that simple.
Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by NigerianAngelo(m): 1:16pm On Feb 02, 2023
If your boss ain't the real one, dump him for the real one.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Cope in a Toxic Workplace by EngrKemp: 1:17pm On Feb 02, 2023
GloriousGbola:

One day at at time.

Unfortunately the cadre of Indians and Lebanese typically deployed to third world countries are the toxic leadership kind.
The question is ,Why do our labour laws not active to make them leaders in the first place is nonsense..

How can u gather up hooligans from the streets of India n Lebanon whose economy are suffering setbacks to come boss our people here ?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

KPMG Nigeria Graduate & Experienced Job Recruitment (7 Positions) / Ernst & Young Nigeria / AB-inBev/SABMILLER UTILITIES OPERATOR SALARY

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.