Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,017 members, 7,810,814 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:59 PM

9-Year-Old David Balogun Becomes One Of The Youngest Ever High School Graduate - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 9-Year-Old David Balogun Becomes One Of The Youngest Ever High School Graduate (27199 Views)

JAMB Frustration Gives Fresh Secondary School Graduate His First Lesson In Life / Meet Esther Chukwuemeka, The Youngest Lawyer Called To The Nigerian Bar (Photo) / Meet Mohammed Akanbi, KWASU VC: The Youngest Vice Chancellor In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

9-Year-Old David Balogun Becomes One Of The Youngest Ever High School Graduate by adamusuleiman1: 9:55pm On Feb 05, 2023
A nine-year-old boy from Pennsylvania who loves science and computer programming has become one of the youngest ever high school graduates, and he has already started accumulating some credits toward his college degree.

David Balogun recently received a diploma from Reach cyber charter school – based in his state’s capital of Harrisburg – after taking classes remotely from his family home in the Philadelphia suburb of Bensalem, the local television station WGAL reported Saturday.

The achievement makes David one of the youngest known children to ever graduate high school, according to a list compiled by the history and culture website oldest.org.

The only person on that list younger than David was Michael Kearney, who still holds the Guinness world record for youngest high school graduate that he set when he was six in 1990 before he ultimately obtained a master’s degree at 18 and winning more than $1m on gameshows. David would come in higher on that list than Pulitzer prize-winning journalist Ronan Farrow, who was 11 when he finished high school.

David told WGAL that he already knows which he wants to dedicate his professional life to once he completes his education.

“I want to be an astrophysicist, and I want to study black holes and supernovas,” he said to the station.

David’s parents both have advanced academic degrees, but they told WGAL that it is challenging to raise a child with such an extraordinary intellect.

“I had to get outside of the box,” David’s mother, Ronya, said to the outlet. “Playing pillow fights when you’re not supposed to, throwing the balls in the house. He’s a nine-year-old with the brain that has the capacity to understand and comprehend a lot of concepts beyond his years and sometimes beyond my understanding.”

David told WGAL that some of his favorite teachers helped keep him engaged with his studies and pushed him to keep progressing.

“They didn’t bog me down,” he said. “They … advocated for me, saying, ‘He can do this. He can do that’.”

One instructor said to WGAL: “We’re just proud that we [were] able to individualize his instruction.”

David’s teachers also said that they learned from their uncommonly bright pupil, whose loved ones describe him as a computer programming and science whiz.

His science teacher, Cody Derr, remarked: “David was an inspirational kid, definitely one who changes the way you think about teaching.”

David has done one semester at Bucks county community college since graduating from Reach charter. Meanwhile, he and his family have been doing their research into other colleges and universities to try to find the one that is best suited for a boy who – besides his academics – is pursuing a martial arts black belt, enjoys other sports and plays the piano.

“Am I going to throw my nine-year-old into Harvard while I’m living in [Pennsylvania]?” David’s father, Henry, said of the family’s college search. “No.”

Unless, perhaps, it’s the right fit.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/feb/05/nine-year-old-boy-graduates-high-school-david-balogun

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 9-Year-Old David Balogun Becomes One Of The Youngest Ever High School Graduate by JohnnA1: 10:54pm On Feb 05, 2023
This one must be a genius oh; see how him eye dey shine like torch.

Omo Yoruba ATATA!

Future world beater!

158 Likes 17 Shares

Re: 9-Year-Old David Balogun Becomes One Of The Youngest Ever High School Graduate by naijainstinct: 2:21am On Feb 06, 2023
Great kid. His dad though...... grin

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 9-Year-Old David Balogun Becomes One Of The Youngest Ever High School Graduate by Kiddogarcia(m): 6:08am On Feb 06, 2023
Carrying the Nigerian flag.

Na we be your best plug for everything Sexual enhancement tho

2 Likes

Re: 9-Year-Old David Balogun Becomes One Of The Youngest Ever High School Graduate by Betterhalf2(f): 9:04am On Feb 06, 2023
Great one!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9-Year-Old David Balogun Becomes One Of The Youngest Ever High School Graduate by lockheed55(m): 3:26am On Feb 08, 2023
This is an unusual news. Lalasticlala

5 Likes

Re: 9-Year-Old David Balogun Becomes One Of The Youngest Ever High School Graduate by Burgerlomo: 12:19pm On Feb 08, 2023
cool

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9-Year-Old David Balogun Becomes One Of The Youngest Ever High School Graduate by seanwilliam(m): 12:20pm On Feb 08, 2023
Smart like me

1 Like

Re: 9-Year-Old David Balogun Becomes One Of The Youngest Ever High School Graduate by Mufasa27(m): 12:20pm On Feb 08, 2023
Omoluabi keep it up... The sky is your starting point...Meanwhile make I go crime section go see why dem arrest Emeka for Indonesia 😂😂

53 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 9-Year-Old David Balogun Becomes One Of The Youngest Ever High School Graduate by Nobody: 12:20pm On Feb 08, 2023
Complete opposite of APC urchins who are useless to society

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 9-Year-Old David Balogun Becomes One Of The Youngest Ever High School Graduate by Offpoint1: 12:20pm On Feb 08, 2023
If not that I was born in the village, what is high school that I wouldn't have graduated at 6?

I've been rejected admission thousands Times because my short hand refused touching my ears when crossed over my big head.

Congratulations David, you're not brilliant... You were just born in the right era and environment.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 9-Year-Old David Balogun Becomes One Of The Youngest Ever High School Graduate by cozaj(m): 12:21pm On Feb 08, 2023
Congratulations to him. Make e continue dey rush
Re: 9-Year-Old David Balogun Becomes One Of The Youngest Ever High School Graduate by FoolaniHellman: 12:21pm On Feb 08, 2023
I'm Blessed to be from one of the best tribes in the World, Yoruba... I hope you are too!

God blessed all the tribes in Nigeria with different abilities... So God bless Nigeria cool

YORUBA AMAKA grin

51 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 9-Year-Old David Balogun Becomes One Of The Youngest Ever High School Graduate by AnyanwuSilas: 12:21pm On Feb 08, 2023
In Nigeria, he would still be in primary 5 or 6

7 Likes

Re: 9-Year-Old David Balogun Becomes One Of The Youngest Ever High School Graduate by updatechange(m): 12:21pm On Feb 08, 2023
His choice of profession is crazy mehn.
When I was 9 I never heard about a word astrophysicist, I only know scientist which was my favorite then.

Kudos young lad👍

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 9-Year-Old David Balogun Becomes One Of The Youngest Ever High School Graduate by Classicalman(m): 12:21pm On Feb 08, 2023
Igbo amaka

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9-Year-Old David Balogun Becomes One Of The Youngest Ever High School Graduate by ecolime(m): 12:22pm On Feb 08, 2023
Nigerians are smart and intelligent people. Give us good leadership and we will thrive anyway.

God bless David Balogun.
God bless Nigerians & Nigeria
God bless incoming President Peter Obi.

Nigeria shall rise again.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 9-Year-Old David Balogun Becomes One Of The Youngest Ever High School Graduate by xristos(m): 12:22pm On Feb 08, 2023
i think say na naija...i for say this na overdo..cos d boy go suffer am later grin
but overthere, the sky is his limit wink

2 Likes

Re: 9-Year-Old David Balogun Becomes One Of The Youngest Ever High School Graduate by Primusinterpares(m): 12:23pm On Feb 08, 2023
Nice one... Keep making us proud child
Re: 9-Year-Old David Balogun Becomes One Of The Youngest Ever High School Graduate by AZControversial(m): 12:23pm On Feb 08, 2023
smiley

Wow! That's cool!

To be honest, Yoruba really amaka on this one!

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9-Year-Old David Balogun Becomes One Of The Youngest Ever High School Graduate by armadeo(m): 12:23pm On Feb 08, 2023
Sheldon Cooper in the making.

If you want to laugh just read all the comments above me in context of the original post.
Re: 9-Year-Old David Balogun Becomes One Of The Youngest Ever High School Graduate by FoolaniHellman: 12:23pm On Feb 08, 2023
xristos:
this na overdo

Shildren of Hate! Here we go again!

Cry me a river

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 9-Year-Old David Balogun Becomes One Of The Youngest Ever High School Graduate by nepapole(m): 12:24pm On Feb 08, 2023
Igbo Amaka

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9-Year-Old David Balogun Becomes One Of The Youngest Ever High School Graduate by bigdammyj: 12:24pm On Feb 08, 2023
Congrats to him.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 9-Year-Old David Balogun Becomes One Of The Youngest Ever High School Graduate by omonnakoda: 12:25pm On Feb 08, 2023
They need to educate him about human beings especially women
That one pass. PhD

5 Likes

Re: 9-Year-Old David Balogun Becomes One Of The Youngest Ever High School Graduate by INDOMIE9090(f): 12:25pm On Feb 08, 2023
nepapole:
Igbo Amaka
stop smoking

8 Likes

Re: 9-Year-Old David Balogun Becomes One Of The Youngest Ever High School Graduate by Osepraise: 12:26pm On Feb 08, 2023
Nice one champion

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A Thread For Computer Science Students.(Nacossites) / Have You Ever Been Caught With Expo Before? Share Your Experience / Students And Teachers Ran For Their Lives As Student Detonated Teargar In Class

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.