Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,208 members, 7,815,219 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:11 AM

Ekweremadu Trial Update: More Accomplices Named, Evidence Surfaces - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Ekweremadu Trial Update: More Accomplices Named, Evidence Surfaces (2132 Views)

Ike Ekweremadu And Wife, Beatrice Charged In UK Court For Organ Trafficking / Female Robber Stripped And Disgraced Alongside Her Accomplices / Bilyamin Bello: Maryam Sanda Mother & Brother Aliyu Sanda Charged As Accomplices (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ekweremadu Trial Update: More Accomplices Named, Evidence Surfaces by 1stGenAmerican(f): 3:58am On Feb 08, 2023
A court hears that Evelyn "Ebere" Agbasonu allegedly asked for £1,500 to help secure a kidney for Sonia Ekweremadu by "coaching" a donor during hospital appointments.

An interpreter became embroiled in a failed bid to persuade doctors to approve an illegal kidney transplant for the daughter of a wealthy Nigerian politician, a court has heard. Evelyn "Ebere" Agbasonu allegedly asked for £1,500 to help secure Sonia Ekweremadu's £80,000 private kidney transplant at the Royal Free Hospital in February 2022. Ms Agbasonu was a member of staff at the hospital in Hampstead where she worked as a medical secretary.
The prosecution claims the procedure was not legal as the donor was a street trader from Lagos who was not motivated by altruism and had no family connection with the 25-year-old recipient. The Old Bailey has been told it was a "transactional" deal,[/b]with the 21-year-old man to be paid up to £7,000 for the harvesting of his body part and the promise of opportunities in the UK.

[b]Ms Ekweremadu is on trial alongside her father Ike, 60, then-deputy president of the Nigerian Senate, her mother Beatrice, 56, and medical "middleman" Dr Obinna Obeta.

Jurors heard Agbasonu had stepped in to interpret Igbo during an initial meeting on 24 February between Dr Peter Dupont and the donor from Nigeria. The consultant had concluded the young man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was not an appropriate candidate and appeared relieved the transplant would not go ahead.
Prosecutor Hugh Davies KC said it was "somewhat extraordinary" that, according to messages from others, Ms Agbasonu appeared to agree to manipulate a second meeting to help the Ekweremadu family.
Mr Ekweremadu's medically trained brother Diwe allegedly sent Sonia Ekweremadu advice from the interpreter to show a clear family connection with the donor.He allegedly said: "Ebere said it would be easier to establish that his mum and your mum are sisters. If we stretch it to the grandmum and grandmum the relationship will be too distant."

Ms Ekweremadu allegedly replied: "OK, that's fine."

Diwe then allegedly laid out the financial agreement to her father, saying: "I've met the Igbo interpreter. She agreed to work with us. She will be involved in coaching the boy, and during his consultation and interviews she will be providing the relevant interpretation. She insisted that I give her £1,500. I think they just position themselves to exploit people."
He allegedly continued: "We had a meeting today with her so I've introduced her to Chinoso [Sonia] and [the donor]. She advised that [the donor] comes to the hospital on Tuesday and Thursday while Chinoso [Sonia] is having her dialysis."

Mr Davies suggested the messages demonstrated the opposite of an altruistic organ donation.

On 11 March. the donor attended a meeting with a surgeon at the Royal Free Hospital and the interpreter, the court heard. Afterwards, Diwe allegedly messaged Ms Ekweremadu's father: "I have spoken with [the interpreter]. She said the boy did better today but he's still showing so much timidity. She covered up for him and added the words as much as possible.”

"The surgeon will discuss with Dr Dupont and they will communicate us. They will continue to work on the boy's confidence. Ebere and Obinna."

Mr Davies told jurors that the surgeon agreed with Dr Dupont that the donor was unsuitable and Ms Ekweremadu was informed of the decision on 29 March.

Jurors heard that Dr Obeta had secured a kidney transplant at the Royal Free Hospital in 2021 with a donor also purporting to be his cousin. Mr Davies told jurors an affidavit was the only evidence the two men were related. Jurors heard that Dr Obeta had trained at medical school with Diwe Ekweremadu, who remains in Nigeria and is not on trial.
It is claimed that after the transplant in London fell through, the conspirators took steps to arrange a transplant with a different donor in Turkey.

On 5 May last year, the original donor presented himself at Staines police station in south-west London, saying he had been trafficked from Nigeria to provide a kidney and had been walking for three days.
In June last year, the Ekweremadus were arrested after Ike and Beatrice arrived at Heathrow Airport from Turkey.
In a statement, Beatrice said a donor had been found by a "third party".
Ike, Beatrice and Sonia Ekweremadu, who have an address in Willesden Green, north-west London, and Dr Obeta, 50, from Southwark, south London, deny conspiring to arrange or facilitate the travel of the young man with a view to exploitation between 1 August 2021 and 5 May 2022.

The trial continues.

https://e3.365dm.com/23/02/2048x1152/skynews-royal-free-hospital_6048468.jpg?20230206155757

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ekweremadu Trial Update: More Accomplices Named, Evidence Surfaces by adecz: 4:02am On Feb 08, 2023
Kidney pipul ....😁

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ekweremadu Trial Update: More Accomplices Named, Evidence Surfaces by Naijanascam: 4:11am On Feb 08, 2023
This is where everything works out accordingly...... not where someone passes examinations without taking part in the said exams because he knows the examiner....

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ekweremadu Trial Update: More Accomplices Named, Evidence Surfaces by advanceDNA: 4:14am On Feb 08, 2023
Bad leaders!!!!
If they ddnt neglect their own health sector..na matter wey dem for run for here codedly with no hassle.... too bad for them...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ekweremadu Trial Update: More Accomplices Named, Evidence Surfaces by 1stGenAmerican(f): 4:16am On Feb 08, 2023
The messages read by the prosecution prove that Sonia was complicit in the crime. It’s understandable why she’s also on trial.

I wouldn’t be surprised if their Nigerian doctor accomplice isn’t being investigated for the kidney he received from his ‘relative’.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ekweremadu Trial Update: More Accomplices Named, Evidence Surfaces by 1Sharon(f): 4:16am On Feb 08, 2023
See organised crime....what is all this?? Why didn't they just stick to Turkey initially?
Re: Ekweremadu Trial Update: More Accomplices Named, Evidence Surfaces by 1stGenAmerican(f): 4:21am On Feb 08, 2023
1Sharon:
See organised crime....what is all this?? Why didn't they just stick to Turkey initially?

Yep, organized crime done by a criminal network.The doctor who is their co-defendant had medical privileges to practice at the hospital. Because he had also received a kidney and was a practicing doctor, he knew what corners needed to be cut and what lies needed to be told.
I’m waiting to find out if the NHS would’ve paid or reimbursed for the transplant. That would’ve been an incentive to do it in the UK rather than Turkey.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ekweremadu Trial Update: More Accomplices Named, Evidence Surfaces by 1stGenAmerican(f): 4:35am On Feb 08, 2023
O, trouble. If convicted, there is a chance they may never see Nigeria again.

“The defendants have been charged under modern slavery legislation which makes it an offence to "arrange or facilitate the travel" of a person to the UK for exploitation. This offence carries a higher potential sentence of life, compared to a maximum of three years for illegally making an organ donation.”

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ekweremadu Trial Update: More Accomplices Named, Evidence Surfaces by gambia(m): 4:40am On Feb 08, 2023
Saner climes where things work better, there's no peace for the wicked.
Re: Ekweremadu Trial Update: More Accomplices Named, Evidence Surfaces by Tunasco4u(m): 5:04am On Feb 08, 2023
Ok
Re: Ekweremadu Trial Update: More Accomplices Named, Evidence Surfaces by LordIsaac(m): 5:08am On Feb 08, 2023
If I were writing WAEC, this would be a short story for "The Rich also Cry," I pray for the girl's recovery though. No one deserves to be sick.

3 Likes

Re: Ekweremadu Trial Update: More Accomplices Named, Evidence Surfaces by chatinent: 5:50am On Feb 08, 2023
Ekweremmadu will have to regret being a never-do-well Nigerian who did nothing for his people to improve economy.

I owe them zero pity.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ekweremadu Trial Update: More Accomplices Named, Evidence Surfaces by Shedrack777: 5:52am On Feb 08, 2023
kidney wey them for remove from monkey body transplant to her, it a could have stop all these stress and prosecution
Re: Ekweremadu Trial Update: More Accomplices Named, Evidence Surfaces by derecho(m): 6:10am On Feb 08, 2023
Has he been replaced in the Senate or he is still collecting salary whilst in prison?

Who would have told him a "nobody" could rubbish him and his entire family?

Those underrating people should continue

6 Likes

Re: Ekweremadu Trial Update: More Accomplices Named, Evidence Surfaces by GeneralPula: 6:26am On Feb 08, 2023
I wonder why he followed them to UK. This was the mistake he made..

1 Like

Re: Ekweremadu Trial Update: More Accomplices Named, Evidence Surfaces by DIKEnaWAR: 6:38am On Feb 08, 2023
The boy too has parents who love him and want his survival and progress.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ekweremadu Trial Update: More Accomplices Named, Evidence Surfaces by TheChameleon: 7:18am On Feb 08, 2023
angry

Ekweremandu has been in Senate since 1999.

Held powerful posts... yet couldn't influence any benefits to his regions. Instead stole so much that EFCC confiscated 40 houses from him.

Yet his people kept voting him in as if brainwashed. Some were even stupid enough to defend him when he was arrested.

6 Likes

Re: Ekweremadu Trial Update: More Accomplices Named, Evidence Surfaces by DIKEnaWAR: 7:50am On Feb 08, 2023
If only he set up a good hospital here, he'd have breached every law without consequences.

1 Like

Re: Ekweremadu Trial Update: More Accomplices Named, Evidence Surfaces by kingthreat(m): 9:31am On Feb 08, 2023
Almost no way Ekweremadu will escape this. As for the David guy, those times he dreamt of being outside Nigeria and living well, those dreams are now about to be true.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ekweremadu Trial Update: More Accomplices Named, Evidence Surfaces by amuwo1980: 11:29am On Feb 08, 2023
Poor girl , I wish they followed the law to the letter and leave the Nigerian corner corner ways to everything

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ekweremadu Trial Update: More Accomplices Named, Evidence Surfaces by 1Sharon(f): 12:09pm On Feb 08, 2023
1stGenAmerican:

Yep, organized crime done by a criminal network.The doctor who is their co-defendant had medical privileges to practice at the hospital. Because he had also received a kidney and was a practicing doctor, he knew what corners needed to be cut and what lies needed to be told.
I’m waiting to find out if the NHS would’ve paid or reimbursed for the transplant. That would’ve been an incentive to do it in the UK rather than Turkey.
Nope they will not.

3 Likes

Re: Ekweremadu Trial Update: More Accomplices Named, Evidence Surfaces by 1Sharon(f): 12:09pm On Feb 08, 2023
amuwo1980:
Poor girl , I wish they followed the law to the letter and leave the Nigerian corner corner ways to everything

She's an accomplice undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ekweremadu Trial Update: More Accomplices Named, Evidence Surfaces by 1stGenAmerican(f): 2:56pm On Feb 08, 2023
derecho:
Has he been replaced in the Senate or he is still collecting salary whilst in prison?

Who would have told him a "nobody" could rubbish him and his entire family?

Those underrating people should continue

Still getting paid while being pitied by poor citizens.
Yes. The nobody will be free and enjoying life in the UK.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ekweremadu Trial Update: More Accomplices Named, Evidence Surfaces by Zanzibar1: 12:49pm On Feb 09, 2023
1stGenAmerican:
The messages read by the prosecution prove that Sonia was complicit in the crime. It’s understandable why she’s also on trial.

I wouldn’t be surprised if their Nigerian doctor accomplice isn’t being investigated for the kidney he received from his ‘relative’.
actually when it comes to Health-related crime, a significant number of people are always involved.
Obviously, they were trying to beat the system and also harvest a young mans body part.

there is no way the Ekweremadu's are getting out of this. only clemency

3 Likes

Re: Ekweremadu Trial Update: More Accomplices Named, Evidence Surfaces by Gemma11: 1:31pm On Feb 09, 2023
DIKEnaWAR:
If only he set up a good hospital here, he'd have breached every law without consequences.

Everyone keeps saying this without realising that any 'good' hospital with stringent policies and good moral medical staff, whether that be in Nigeria or elsewhere in the world would not agree to harvest the organ of a young man for the sum of money.

Only corrupt hospitals with corrupt medical staff would do that.

Sonia should have put her name on the donor list to wait for a kidney, which in most cases would come from someone who has given consent for their organ to be donated only after unexpected death because living altruistic donors are few and far between
Re: Ekweremadu Trial Update: More Accomplices Named, Evidence Surfaces by jimmyolasun: 2:31pm On Feb 09, 2023
mumu ekweremadu.. when i get kidney plenty for my side wey boys just dey waste anyhow
Re: Ekweremadu Trial Update: More Accomplices Named, Evidence Surfaces by Goodbadbowy419: 2:38pm On Feb 09, 2023
From Grace to grass

Omooo this life enh
Re: Ekweremadu Trial Update: More Accomplices Named, Evidence Surfaces by 1Sharon(f): 4:05pm On Feb 09, 2023
Gemma11:

Everyone keeps saying this without realising that any 'good' hospital with stringent policies and good moral medical staff, whether that be in Nigeria or elsewhere in the world would not agree to harvest the organ of a young man for the sum of money.

Only corrupt hospitals with corrupt medical staff would do that.

Sonia should have put her name on the donor list to wait for a kidney, which in most cases would come from someone who has given consent for their organ to be donated only after unexpected death because living altruistic donors are few and far between

You think her name wasn't on the waiting list?

Do you know how long it is for a black person in the West to receive an organ?

It's not a thing for black people to donate organs or even their blood.
Re: Ekweremadu Trial Update: More Accomplices Named, Evidence Surfaces by Gemma11: 5:28pm On Feb 09, 2023
1Sharon:

You think her name wasn't on the waiting list?

Do you know how long it is for a black person in the West to receive an organ?

It's not a thing for black people to donate organs or even their blood.

I don't think there is any data on how long it takes for a black person to receive an organ in the West. Do you have visibility of such data??

If her name is on the list then she should have waited her turn.

Another thing, since Sonya is not a British citizen, (British citzens are not allowed to pay for an organ in any part of the world) she should have travelled to somewhere it is legal to buy an organ if that were the route they wanted to take. Iran is the only country which allows the sale of human organs so with Daddy's money she should have gone there, got the operation and came back to the UK to continue her studies without issue.
Re: Ekweremadu Trial Update: More Accomplices Named, Evidence Surfaces by 1Sharon(f): 6:09pm On Feb 09, 2023
Gemma11:

I don't think there is any data on how long it takes for a black person to receive an organ in the West. Do you have visibility of such data??

If her name is on the list then she should have waited her turn.

Another thing, since Sonya is not a British citizen, (British citzens are not allowed to pay for an organ in any part of the world) she should have travelled to somewhere it is legal to buy an organ if that were the route they wanted to take. Iran is the only country which allows the sale of human organs so with Daddy's money she should have gone there, got the operation and came back to the UK to continue her studies without issue.

https://www.nhsbt.nhs.uk/how-you-can-help/get-involved/download-digital-materials/black-asian-and-minority-ethnic-living-organ-donors/
Re: Ekweremadu Trial Update: More Accomplices Named, Evidence Surfaces by backnbeta(f): 6:38pm On Feb 09, 2023
The rich also cry indeed. How I wish the more wicked polithiefcians face same treatment or worse! Ekweremadu is a thief, but believe me he's not even one of the worst. I hope Sonia gets well in all of this undecided

1 Like

Re: Ekweremadu Trial Update: More Accomplices Named, Evidence Surfaces by adecz: 6:41pm On Feb 09, 2023
Senator kidney & new yam festival❗️❗️😁😁😁

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Women Tricked Into Having Sex With 22men At Once / My experience with kidnappers in government uniform / Killers Of Billionaire Businessman, Reveals Why They Killed Ignatius Odunukwe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.