Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,050 members, 7,810,924 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:28 PM

Ekweremadu Trial Update: More Accomplices Named, Evidence Surfaces - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Ekweremadu Trial Update: More Accomplices Named, Evidence Surfaces (2122 Views)

Ike Ekweremadu And Wife, Beatrice Charged In UK Court For Organ Trafficking / Female Robber Stripped And Disgraced Alongside Her Accomplices / Bilyamin Bello: Maryam Sanda Mother & Brother Aliyu Sanda Charged As Accomplices (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ekweremadu Trial Update: More Accomplices Named, Evidence Surfaces by Gemma11: 6:55pm On Feb 09, 2023
1Sharon:

https://www.nhsbt.nhs.uk/how-you-can-help/get-involved/download-digital-materials/black-asian-and-minority-ethnic-living-organ-donors/

Thanks for the article.

This is more because many black people do not offer to donate their organs even after death. By Law, everyone in the UK is a potential donor (after unexpected death) unless they specifically opt-out, which I assume most do.

In anycase Sonia has the means to travel to a country where this is allowed. Many people have kidney transfers in Nigeria as well so I am at a lost as to why they chose to do this in the UK where it is illegal.

1 Like

Re: Ekweremadu Trial Update: More Accomplices Named, Evidence Surfaces by BOYS2MEN: 8:29pm On Feb 09, 2023
Are you kidney me? shocked
1stGenAmerican:
A court hears that Evelyn "Ebere" Agbasonu allegedly asked for £1,500 to help secure a kidney for Sonia Ekweremadu by "coaching" a donor during hospital appointments.

An interpreter became embroiled in a failed bid to persuade doctors to approve an illegal kidney transplant for the daughter of a wealthy Nigerian politician, a court has heard. Evelyn "Ebere" Agbasonu allegedly asked for £1,500 to help secure Sonia Ekweremadu's £80,000 private kidney transplant at the Royal Free Hospital in February 2022. Ms Agbasonu was a member of staff at the hospital in Hampstead where she worked as a medical secretary.
The prosecution claims the procedure was not legal as the donor was a street trader from Lagos who was not motivated by altruism and had no family connection with the 25-year-old recipient. The Old Bailey has been told it was a "transactional" deal,[/b]with the 21-year-old man to be paid up to £7,000 for the harvesting of his body part and the promise of opportunities in the UK.

[b]Ms Ekweremadu is on trial alongside her father Ike, 60, then-deputy president of the Nigerian Senate, her mother Beatrice, 56, and medical "middleman" Dr Obinna Obeta.

Jurors heard Agbasonu had stepped in to interpret Igbo during an initial meeting on 24 February between Dr Peter Dupont and the donor from Nigeria. The consultant had concluded the young man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was not an appropriate candidate and appeared relieved the transplant would not go ahead.
Prosecutor Hugh Davies KC said it was "somewhat extraordinary" that, according to messages from others, Ms Agbasonu appeared to agree to manipulate a second meeting to help the Ekweremadu family.
Mr Ekweremadu's medically trained brother Diwe allegedly sent Sonia Ekweremadu advice from the interpreter to show a clear family connection with the donor.He allegedly said: "Ebere said it would be easier to establish that his mum and your mum are sisters. If we stretch it to the grandmum and grandmum the relationship will be too distant."

Ms Ekweremadu allegedly replied: "OK, that's fine."

Diwe then allegedly laid out the financial agreement to her father, saying: "I've met the Igbo interpreter. She agreed to work with us. She will be involved in coaching the boy, and during his consultation and interviews she will be providing the relevant interpretation. She insisted that I give her £1,500. I think they just position themselves to exploit people."
He allegedly continued: "We had a meeting today with her so I've introduced her to Chinoso [Sonia] and [the donor]. She advised that [the donor] comes to the hospital on Tuesday and Thursday while Chinoso [Sonia] is having her dialysis."

Mr Davies suggested the messages demonstrated the opposite of an altruistic organ donation.

On 11 March. the donor attended a meeting with a surgeon at the Royal Free Hospital and the interpreter, the court heard. Afterwards, Diwe allegedly messaged Ms Ekweremadu's father: "I have spoken with [the interpreter]. She said the boy did better today but he's still showing so much timidity. She covered up for him and added the words as much as possible.”

"The surgeon will discuss with Dr Dupont and they will communicate us. They will continue to work on the boy's confidence. Ebere and Obinna."

Mr Davies told jurors that the surgeon agreed with Dr Dupont that the donor was unsuitable and Ms Ekweremadu was informed of the decision on 29 March.

Jurors heard that Dr Obeta had secured a kidney transplant at the Royal Free Hospital in 2021 with a donor also purporting to be his cousin. Mr Davies told jurors an affidavit was the only evidence the two men were related. Jurors heard that Dr Obeta had trained at medical school with Diwe Ekweremadu, who remains in Nigeria and is not on trial.
It is claimed that after the transplant in London fell through, the conspirators took steps to arrange a transplant with a different donor in Turkey.

On 5 May last year, the original donor presented himself at Staines police station in south-west London, saying he had been trafficked from Nigeria to provide a kidney and had been walking for three days.
In June last year, the Ekweremadus were arrested after Ike and Beatrice arrived at Heathrow Airport from Turkey.
In a statement, Beatrice said a donor had been found by a "third party".
Ike, Beatrice and Sonia Ekweremadu, who have an address in Willesden Green, north-west London, and Dr Obeta, 50, from Southwark, south London, deny conspiring to arrange or facilitate the travel of the young man with a view to exploitation between 1 August 2021 and 5 May 2022.

The trial continues.

https://e3.365dm.com/23/02/2048x1152/skynews-royal-free-hospital_6048468.jpg?20230206155757
Re: Ekweremadu Trial Update: More Accomplices Named, Evidence Surfaces by BigIyanga: 12:14am On Feb 10, 2023
See wickedness. They were angry that a Naija interpreter charged £1,500 when they were illegally plotting to get a young free kidney with a market value of £200k. They were not going to compensate the guy if the transplant had successfully taken place. These soulless people deserve to rot in jail.

2 Likes

Re: Ekweremadu Trial Update: More Accomplices Named, Evidence Surfaces by 1stGenAmerican(f): 5:13am On Feb 10, 2023
BigIyanga:

See wickedness. They were angry that a Naija interpreter charged £1,500 when they were illegally plotting to get a young free kidney with a market value of £200k. They were not going to compensate the guy if the transplant had successfully taken place. These soulless people deserve to rot in jail.

Like you, I don’t think they would’ve paid him either.
Why was Ike mad because of the amount she requested when they asked her to lie and translate incorrectly? The hospital employee/interpreter should also face jail for purposely interpreting Yoruba incorrectly in Sonia’s favor and coaching the young man to say what needed to be said instead of what he wanted to say. I’m certain that she’s been fired. These Ekweremadus burned a trail of destruction and crime.

2 Likes

Re: Ekweremadu Trial Update: More Accomplices Named, Evidence Surfaces by VintescoGlobal(m): 8:26am On Feb 10, 2023
Only if he had used the money wasted on cutting corners to build a hospital..

I'm glad...

You know why?

He will be there when Peter Obi becomes the president of Nigeria.
Re: Ekweremadu Trial Update: More Accomplices Named, Evidence Surfaces by DIKEnaWAR: 8:40am On Feb 10, 2023
Gemma11:

Everyone keeps saying this without realising that any 'good' hospital with stringent policies and good moral medical staff, whether that be in Nigeria or elsewhere in the world would not agree to harvest the organ of a young man for the sum of money.

Only corrupt hospitals with corrupt medical staff would do that.

Sonia should have put her name on the donor list to wait for a kidney, which in most cases would come from someone who has given consent for their organ to be donated only after unexpected death because living altruistic donors are few and far between

My brother, I said that cos we are a very corrupt people who worship the rich without the slightest regard for the less privileged. Ekweremadu would have carried that surgery here, after harvesting that poor boy's organ and go to church to do thanksgiving with the members of the clergy, politicians and business executives "thanking God for a successful successful surgery"

Nothing for happen even if we find out the poor boy was dying or died. It is the impunity he has been carrying on here unchallenged that he exported to the UK.
Re: Ekweremadu Trial Update: More Accomplices Named, Evidence Surfaces by seborrhic: 9:53am On Feb 10, 2023
Naijanascam:
This is where everything works out accordingly...... not where someone passes examinations without taking part in the said exams because he knows the examiner....
Don't be too sure and don't be in a rush to praise the legal system there.
The processes looks well laid out and iron clad,but sometimes at the point of judgement you would be surprised with what some of these 'impeccable' western courts and judges come up with.
Wait till the defence starts it's own case and see how all these evidence and witnesses that look open and shut,starts having holes and discrepancies picked in their stories,that starts to create doubts.
So it's still a 50-50 case,the Ekweremadu's may still be exonerated for all you know.
Re: Ekweremadu Trial Update: More Accomplices Named, Evidence Surfaces by 1Sharon(f): 5:36pm On Feb 10, 2023
BigIyanga:

Lmaooo....you saw that too, that part cracked me up

1 Like

Re: Ekweremadu Trial Update: More Accomplices Named, Evidence Surfaces by BigIyanga: 10:12pm On Feb 10, 2023
1stGenAmerican:

Like you, I don’t think they would’ve paid him either.
Why was Ike mad because of the amount she requested when they asked her to lie and translate incorrectly? The hospital employee/interpreter should also face jail for purposely interpreting Yoruba incorrectly in Sonia’s favor and coaching the young man to say what needed to be said instead of what he wanted to say. I’m certain that she’s been fired. These Ekweremadus burned a trail of destruction and crime.
Very wicked and cheap people. I wonder how they treat their domestic staff and poor relatives in Naija.

1 Like

Re: Ekweremadu Trial Update: More Accomplices Named, Evidence Surfaces by Barrywilly(m): 7:38am On Feb 11, 2023
He should have gone to India instead. No average Indian doctor will ask all these irrelevant questions before harvesting the kidney.

(1) (2) (Reply)

"Marry Me Off And I'll Kill Myself" : Child Bride / See The Pastor Who Was Shot 35 Bullets Of Gun As He Survived Miraculously / Driver Crushes Policeman To Death In Ekiti (see Reactions)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.