Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,230 members, 7,815,296 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:22 AM

Lebron James Becomes Nba's All-time Leading Scorer With 38,888 Points - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Lebron James Becomes Nba's All-time Leading Scorer With 38,888 Points (14744 Views)

Victor Osimhen Becomes Africa' all-time leading goalscorer In The Serie A / Cristiano Ronaldo Is Football's All-time Leading Goalscorer In Competitive Games / Cristiano Ronaldo Becomes The All-Time Leading Goalscorer In Football History (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lebron James Becomes Nba's All-time Leading Scorer With 38,888 Points by fergie001: 3:17pm On Feb 08, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3wWuBM5OQI
LeBron James has become the NBA's all-time leading scorer, passing Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's long-standing record.

Los Angeles Lakers star James hit 38 points in a 133-130 defeat by the Oklahoma City Thunder to surpass Abdul-Jabbar's mark of 38,387, set in 1989.

Abdul-Jabbar initially broke the scoring record in April 1984, eight months before James was born.

"To be able to be in the presence of a legend and great as Kareem, it means so much to me," said James.

The 38-year-old, who needed 36 points to break the record, did so with a fadeaway jumper at the end of the third quarter and he finished the match with a career total of 38,390.

An emotional James rose both arms in celebration while 75-year-old Abdul-Jabbar, who was at the match at the Lakers home court, stood and applauded.

There was a brief break in play for a ceremony to mark the achievement, with James taking a microphone to make a speech on court.

"Everybody that has ever been a part of this run with me the last 20-plus years, I want to say thank you so much because I wouldn't be me without all you. You all helped. Your passion and sacrifices helped me to get to this point," he said.

"And to the NBA to Adam Silver, to the late great David Stern, thank you very much for allowing me to be a part of something I always dreamed about. I would never in a million years dreamt this to be even better than what it is tonight."

Abdul-Jabbar ceremoniously handed over the ball to James to recognise his new record in front of a cheering crowd that included tennis legend John McEnroe, music stars Jay-Z, LL Cool J and Bad Bunny, boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr and actor Denzel Washington.

"I thought it had every chance of being broken. It just had to have someone that the offense focused on continually," said Abdul-Jabbar, who retired in 1989.

"LeBron's career is one of someone who planned to dominate this game. You have to give him credit for just the way he played and for the way he's lasted and dominated."

Four-time NBA champion James is in his 20th season in the NBA, having been drafted first overall by hometown team the Cleveland Cavaliers in 2003.

The forward joined the Miami Heat in 2010, winning two titles, before returning to lead Cleveland to the only NBA title in their history in 2016.

He has been with the Lakers since 2018 and helped them win the 2020 title, which was also the fourth time he has been named NBA finals MVP.

Two-time Olympic champion James has won four regular season MVP titles and appeared in the NBA Finals 10 times.

Abdul-Jabbar played in the NBA for 20 seasons with the Milwaukee Bucks and Lakers, during which he won six titles, six regular season MVP crowns and was named finals MVP twice.

Asked after the game whether he is the best NBA player of all time, James said: "I'll let everybody else decide who that is or just talk about it, but it's great barbershop talk.

"Me personally, I'm going to take myself against anybody who's ever played this game. But everyone's going to decide who their favourite is."

SOURCE

LeBron James came into the NBA in 2003 with expectations through the roof & STILL exceeded them.

19x All-Star
4x Champion
4x Finals MVP
4x MVP
2x Olympic Gold
1st All-Time in Points
4th All-Time in Assists
9th All-Time in Steals
9th All-Time in Threes

SOURCE

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lebron James Becomes Nba's All-time Leading Scorer With 38,888 Points by fergie001: 3:18pm On Feb 08, 2023

Re: Lebron James Becomes Nba's All-time Leading Scorer With 38,888 Points by fergie001: 3:19pm On Feb 08, 2023
Timeline of success
26 June 2003 - drafted number one by the Cleveland Cavaliers

30 October 2003 - makes debut aged 18 against the Sacramento Kings, recording 25 points, nine assists, six rebounds and four steals

20 February 2005 - makes All-Star Game debut, the first of 19 appearances

7 June 2007 - first NBA Finals appearance for Cleveland, who go on to lose to San Antonio Spurs

24 August 2008 - wins Olympic gold with the USA at Beijing Games

4 May 2009 - wins the first of his four regular season MVP titles

8 July 2010 - joins the Miami Heat after seven seasons with the Cavaliers

21 June 2012 - wins first NBA championship with the Heat and claim first of four Finals MVP titles

12 August 2012 - wins second Olympic gold at London Games

20 June 2013 - becomes back-to-back NBA champion with the Heat

11 July 2014 - returns to Cleveland after four seasons in Miami

19 June 2016 - leads the Cavaliers back from 3-1 down against the Golden State Warriors to win their first NBA Championship

9 July 2018 - signs for the Los Angeles Lakers after four years during second stint in Cleveland

11 October 2020 - claims fourth NBA title by beating the Miami Heat, also becoming first player to win Finals MVP for three different teams

8 February 2023 - passes Kareem Abdul-Jabbar to become NBA's all-time leading points scorer

2 Likes

Re: Lebron James Becomes Nba's All-time Leading Scorer With 38,888 Points by PlayMaker14: 3:32pm On Feb 08, 2023
19x All-Star
4x Champion
4x Finals MVP
4x MVP
2x Olympic Gold
1st All-Time in Points
4th All-Time in Assists
9th All-Time in Steals
9th All-Time in Threes

For me, King James is the GOAT of Basketball game... No disrespect to Michael Jordan and the late Kobe Bryant, but this guy has paid his dues and deserve all the accolades he is getting.

He is a Liverpool fan... He Never Walk Alone. ✌️

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lebron James Becomes Nba's All-time Leading Scorer With 38,888 Points by God1000(m): 4:02pm On Feb 08, 2023
Wow, this is a remarkable feat.

Congrats to him

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lebron James Becomes Nba's All-time Leading Scorer With 38,888 Points by mbahdi(m): 4:02pm On Feb 08, 2023
Apc is a 419 party a party of pains and destruction reject Dem at all levels

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lebron James Becomes Nba's All-time Leading Scorer With 38,888 Points by Generalwoodz(m): 4:02pm On Feb 08, 2023
One thing I understand is that you can be "GOAT" in anywhere and anything if you consistently, and persistently give the very skill you posseses all your best.

There's a goat in Football. When you leave that arena and walk right into Basketball you have another tall GOAT starring right at you. Same thing with Boxing, tennis, swimming and so on.

But the world is forgetting some pretty good goats resident in Nigeria.

Nah. They ain't got gold medals, golden boots or golden tray pan...

The world isn't recording their exploits but they are there!

Ladies and gentlemen give it up all as we welcome the 200,000,000 million goats residing in Nigeria.

These goats have been strong for a long long time despite harsh treatments from their governments.

They all deserve a billion phone cameras shinning on their forlon, flustered faces.

They deserve world wide ovation.

The shits these goats survives on a daily is worst than most sever hell treatments.

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lebron James Becomes Nba's All-time Leading Scorer With 38,888 Points by ImpregnaTor(m): 4:03pm On Feb 08, 2023
Top 10 sportsmen of all time:
1)C. Ronaldo
2)Pele
3)Mohammed Ali

8 Lewis Hamilton
9)Serena Williams
10)Lionel Messi cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Lebron James Becomes Nba's All-time Leading Scorer With 38,888 Points by Nobody: 4:03pm On Feb 08, 2023
Somewhere on Reddit there are two stories about Lebron from his childhood that shows that people knew he was going to be great.

1. One guy, who played one on one basketball with Lebron...when Lebron was 13. The guy was 16, and was already being eyed by Div 1 NCAA colleges (NBA teams select their players mainly from Div 1 NCAA colleges). Lebron took him to the cleaners.

2.Another guy's father used to referee under 12 kids basketball matches. One night, after referring a game where a then 11 year old LeBron was playing, he came home, and told his kids 'I want you to remember the name Lebron James tonight, because he is going to be an NBA great'. The man's kids were like 'right....papa has been seeing visions'. Several years later.

Lebron...so good he was recruited from high school direct. (Most NBA players are usually recruited from college.)

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lebron James Becomes Nba's All-time Leading Scorer With 38,888 Points by flemsy15(m): 4:03pm On Feb 08, 2023
Congrats to him
I just saw Kobe Bryant on the list.
Gone but never forgotten

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lebron James Becomes Nba's All-time Leading Scorer With 38,888 Points by babyfaceafrica: 4:03pm On Feb 08, 2023
Noted.. Next!
Re: Lebron James Becomes Nba's All-time Leading Scorer With 38,888 Points by Utanisco(m): 4:03pm On Feb 08, 2023
If not for fracture
WOULD have gone far in basketball

God will punish afonjas in ma fam
Re: Lebron James Becomes Nba's All-time Leading Scorer With 38,888 Points by nairalee(m): 4:03pm On Feb 08, 2023
That's why I call him King James Version

2 Likes

Re: Lebron James Becomes Nba's All-time Leading Scorer With 38,888 Points by Tunasco4u(m): 4:04pm On Feb 08, 2023
Ok
Re: Lebron James Becomes Nba's All-time Leading Scorer With 38,888 Points by ecolime(m): 4:04pm On Feb 08, 2023
He's ugly attitude aside, LeBron is the GOAT of Basketball. You can't take that from him.

I prefer Michael Jordan though.

2 Likes

Re: Lebron James Becomes Nba's All-time Leading Scorer With 38,888 Points by VeryWickedMan: 4:04pm On Feb 08, 2023
The only James I know is Jameson whisky.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lebron James Becomes Nba's All-time Leading Scorer With 38,888 Points by Adeniranloye(m): 4:05pm On Feb 08, 2023
Omo! How long has it been playing basketball that he quickly cover such milestone.

The guy done Duck Duck almost Turn himself to Ducktor.

Super duper record.

That's king shit

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lebron James Becomes Nba's All-time Leading Scorer With 38,888 Points by loosecanon50(m): 4:05pm On Feb 08, 2023
The real Legend, the real Goat

3 Likes

Re: Lebron James Becomes Nba's All-time Leading Scorer With 38,888 Points by freshkpomo(m): 4:05pm On Feb 08, 2023

If him like make him score go reach tomorrow. I know only one King and that's Michael Jordan and even autocorrect know him name.

12 Likes

Re: Lebron James Becomes Nba's All-time Leading Scorer With 38,888 Points by headboyprince(m): 4:06pm On Feb 08, 2023
PlayMaker14:
[/b]

For me, King James is the GOAT of Basketball game... No disrespect to Michael Jordan and the late Kobe Bryant, but this guy has paid his dues and deserve all the accolades he is getting.

He is a Liverpool fan... He Never Walk Alone. ✌️
lies Jordan is the real Goat. cool

3 Likes

Re: Lebron James Becomes Nba's All-time Leading Scorer With 38,888 Points by MasterTeeUSA: 4:06pm On Feb 08, 2023
GREATEST ALL TIME.
4 championship with 3 different teams
- Cleveland Cavaliers
- Miami Heat
- LA. Lakers

To be Top 5 in assists, and the ALL TIME Scorer while playing with very few Hall of Fame players and Hall of Fame players that are close to retirement is even commendable

fergie001:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3wWuBM5OQI

SOURCE

SOURCE

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lebron James Becomes Nba's All-time Leading Scorer With 38,888 Points by sofeo(m): 4:06pm On Feb 08, 2023
Alright!
Re: Lebron James Becomes Nba's All-time Leading Scorer With 38,888 Points by Angelfrost(m): 4:06pm On Feb 08, 2023
Lebron is to basketball, what Messi is to football!

LEGENDS!!! cool

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lebron James Becomes Nba's All-time Leading Scorer With 38,888 Points by Osidazz19: 4:06pm On Feb 08, 2023
Congratulations King James.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Lebron James Becomes Nba's All-time Leading Scorer With 38,888 Points by Enugurangers: 4:06pm On Feb 08, 2023
Congrats GOAT.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lebron James Becomes Nba's All-time Leading Scorer With 38,888 Points by triple996(m): 4:07pm On Feb 08, 2023
Niggers makes d records ....others follows cool
Re: Lebron James Becomes Nba's All-time Leading Scorer With 38,888 Points by HNICEARTH: 4:07pm On Feb 08, 2023
Congrats legend

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lebron James Becomes Nba's All-time Leading Scorer With 38,888 Points by Gbeng30(m): 4:07pm On Feb 08, 2023
congrats man... You are the best
Re: Lebron James Becomes Nba's All-time Leading Scorer With 38,888 Points by Streetmovement(m): 4:08pm On Feb 08, 2023
Wotoporiously cool speaking

LeBron legend cool

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tobi Amusan "Free" As 30-day Deadline For AIU's Appeal Expires / Cortana Predicts Germany To Beat Brazil In The World Cup 2014 Semi-Final Clash / Why I Didn't Dance Unclad - Enyeama

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.