Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,789 members, 7,820,768 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:11 PM

Malami Asks Supreme Court To Dismiss State’s Lawsuit On Naira Redesign - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Malami Asks Supreme Court To Dismiss State’s Lawsuit On Naira Redesign (26735 Views)

Malami Asks US To Extradite Azuka Jebose For Defaming Ned Nwoko / Malami Asks Court For More Time To File Processes In Kanu’s Suit / Malami Asks Makinde To Dissolve LG Caretaker Chairmen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Malami Asks Supreme Court To Dismiss State’s Lawsuit On Naira Redesign by azpekuliar: 6:12am On Feb 09, 2023
vicdom:

You are right! The constitution has empowered CBN on any decisions made with regards to monetary polices and any physical policies lies in the exclusive list of the executive arms, and as such, no court has jurisdiction to determine how things are run therein.

Immediately the news broke I tell somebody say na Buhari through Emefiele go tell me say the date don change. No be Supreme court go tell me.
As a layman, I no need to carry constitution read to know that one. I no kuku go plenty school.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Malami Asks Supreme Court To Dismiss State’s Lawsuit On Naira Redesign by Chekwume16(m): 6:16am On Feb 09, 2023
Stop saying the what you don't know. The cbn was mentioned in the injunction. It is left to the cbn now to argue on the jurisdiction when the matter comes up on the 15th for hearing. That is how the law works. Everyone will abide by this ruling for now.
post=120747194:
EXCLUSIVE: Supreme Court Order on Naira Irrelevant, Non-binding, February 10 Deadline Stays – CBN Legal Opinion

The Supreme Court ruling restraining the federal government from implementing the February 10, 2023 deadline phase out of the old N1000, N500, and N200 notes is irrelevant, non-binding and a distraction, according to a CBN legal opinion on the matter seen
“Neither the CBN nor deposit money banks were parties to the suit filed by three state governments (Kaduna, Kogi and Zamfara). The state governments simply took advantage of the fact that in matters purely between state and the FG, the Supreme Court can serve as the court of first and only instance. Joining the CBN in the matter would immediately rob the supreme court of jurisdiction,” the opinion said.

Only the CBN is empowered by Law to determine what is termed legal tender, not the Supreme Court.
The Attorney General of the Federation cannot issue a binding order on the apex bank governor or board as the CBN act didn’t contemplate such and the interim order is simply an academic attempt at grandstanding,” the opinion added.

2 Likes

Re: Malami Asks Supreme Court To Dismiss State’s Lawsuit On Naira Redesign by onuman: 6:17am On Feb 09, 2023
Penguin2:
Everything I said in my post reechoed here.

Supreme Court has no jurisdiction over this case. If the plaintiffs were serious, they know that the right place to institute the case is at the High Court.

What the lawyers of Kaduna, Kogi and Zamfara have done is abuse of court process.

Garfield1
Afamed

These three Tinubu govs sef..

Re: Malami Asks Supreme Court To Dismiss State’s Lawsuit On Naira Redesign by iswallker(m): 6:25am On Feb 09, 2023
Iamgrey5:
Aren't the judiciary tasked with interpretation of the law

So it is hard to argue that the Supreme court has no jurisdiction over hearing a case that deals with the disputed interpretation of the law amongst the different branches of the Executive arm of government.

The Governors challenge the central bank that it has wrongly interpreted the law over the deadline set to stop the old Naira note as a legal tender, while the central bank in its opinion believe it has not wrongly interpreted the law.

It's only logical that the judiciary step in to rightfully interprete the law after hearing both sides of the argument.

The policy of introducing new naira note is very different from the Argument above.

Make I help you small - if this case was against the federal republic of Nigeria na supreme court go hear am

If it is against the federal govt of Nigeria and any of its mdas like central bank na high court go hear am

The state's have a case against the federal govt of Nigeria and cbn so they should have gone to federal high coirt

grin grin

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Malami Asks Supreme Court To Dismiss State’s Lawsuit On Naira Redesign by LORDKing001: 6:26am On Feb 09, 2023
Penguin2:

Supreme Court has no jurisdiction over this case. If the plaintiffs were serious, they know that the right place to institute the case is at the High Court.

What the lawyers of Kaduna, Kogi and Zamfara have done is abuse of court process.

Garfield1
There's appellate jurisdiction and ante parte
Afamed
Re: Malami Asks Supreme Court To Dismiss State’s Lawsuit On Naira Redesign by iswallker(m): 6:28am On Feb 09, 2023
Chekwume16:
Stop saying the what you don't know. The cbn was mentioned in the injunction. It is left to the cbn now to argue on the jurisdiction when the matter comes up on the 15th for hearing. That is how the law works. Everyone will abide by this ruling for now.

Who is everyone - se na Bihari be everyone

grin grin

Bros stop receiving yourself - he doesn't have the intention of abiding that is why Miami filed a case challenging the supreme court jurisdiction as early as wedsday
Re: Malami Asks Supreme Court To Dismiss State’s Lawsuit On Naira Redesign by danngnews: 6:33am On Feb 09, 2023
Iamgrey5:
Aren't the judiciary tasked with interpretation of the law

So it is hard to argue that the Supreme court has no jurisdiction over hearing a case that deals with the disputed interpretation of the law amongst the different branches of the Executive arm of government.

The Governors challenge the central bank that it has wrongly interpreted the law over the deadline set to stop the old Naira note as a legal tender, while the central bank in its opinion believe it has not wrongly interpreted the law.

It's only logical that the judiciary step in to rightfully interprete the law after hearing both sides of the argument.

The policy of introducing new naira note is very different from the Argument above.

Oga, CBN is not among your different branches of executive arms of government.

1 Like

Re: Malami Asks Supreme Court To Dismiss State’s Lawsuit On Naira Redesign by danngnews: 6:37am On Feb 09, 2023
Iamgrey5:
The dispute between different branches of the executive can be taken straight to the supreme court even in developed countries like America.

The Row vs Wade repeal

The Affirmative action repeal case still going on

If the action is deemed unconstitutional by the supreme court, it's reversed immediately.

You no dey hear word? Is CBN and executive arm of the government? Don't you understand that adding CBN to the suit have invalidated their case?

1 Like

Re: Malami Asks Supreme Court To Dismiss State’s Lawsuit On Naira Redesign by PS712: 6:39am On Feb 09, 2023
Penguin2:

Garfield1
Afamed
Could it be that the Kaduna, Kogi and Zamfara team deliberately did what they did to push the time just close to but not into the election, so that during the election the policy would have been in place and no one can do anything?
This drama is beginning to look well scripted by the the same team (alleged cabal) using its goons who look like against them fighting them but actually with them nailing the coffin...
Surely this is a script.
Re: Malami Asks Supreme Court To Dismiss State’s Lawsuit On Naira Redesign by Gbajure(m): 6:40am On Feb 09, 2023
davidtemi:

...and the attorney general office said it is wrong for supreme court to even have power to hear the case. So u are saying Malami does not knw wat he's saying, or what's ur point pls?

But the federal high court that gave the first order has the power to hear the first case? As silly in thoughts and words as Gringori Obi
Re: Malami Asks Supreme Court To Dismiss State’s Lawsuit On Naira Redesign by Awolowo86: 6:41am On Feb 09, 2023
I wonder which court judgment Buhari has ever obeyed.

Perhaps this will be the first.
Re: Malami Asks Supreme Court To Dismiss State’s Lawsuit On Naira Redesign by Gbajure(m): 6:42am On Feb 09, 2023
danngnews:

You no dey hear word? Is CBN and executive arm of the government? Don't you understand that adding CBN to the suit have invalidated their case?

It is really annoying how you people proudly flaunt una ignorance. If they have gone to the high court and any party want to appeal the ruling, where do you go?
Re: Malami Asks Supreme Court To Dismiss State’s Lawsuit On Naira Redesign by Okoroawusa: 6:43am On Feb 09, 2023
Fake news
Re: Malami Asks Supreme Court To Dismiss State’s Lawsuit On Naira Redesign by eldoradoxx: 6:50am On Feb 09, 2023
My lawyer friend told me that the suit at the Supreme Court is dead on arrival, that Supreme Court has no jurisdiction originally in matters like this since it is not a dispute between the Federal Government or any state or between national assembly and a state or federal government. It's simply a dispute between state govts and CBN over a matter CBN has powers over. Anything outside it, supreme court has no jurisdiction until the matter comes to Supreme court through the appeal court.

2 Likes

Re: Malami Asks Supreme Court To Dismiss State’s Lawsuit On Naira Redesign by edungene7: 6:52am On Feb 09, 2023
Honestly this country needs urgent help else everyone will cry at the end this politicians want to destroy this country out of greedy how can the supreme Court preside over a matter that is meant for a lower court without the lower court referring such case to her all this because Ghana must go bags passed under the table 2023 elections is going to prove to this clowns that we have woken up

3 Likes

Re: Malami Asks Supreme Court To Dismiss State’s Lawsuit On Naira Redesign by ezekins: 6:58am On Feb 09, 2023
seunmsg:
The court will hear the case on 15th February and adjourn for response of the prosecution to the submission of the respondent till February ending. Finally, judgement will be entered March ending. By then, even the CBN will no longer be interested in the Naira redesign as the political gain they intend to achieve would have been defeated. For now, old and new notes remains legal tender till February 15th.

Note that enforcement of court orders is solely the responsibility of the executive arm of government as the judiciary has no power to enforce its orders. And court orders can either be obeyed or disobeyed.
Re: Malami Asks Supreme Court To Dismiss State’s Lawsuit On Naira Redesign by Amayabor1: 7:03am On Feb 09, 2023
Iamgrey5:
The dispute between different branches of the executive can be taken straight to the supreme court even in developed countries like America.

The Row vs Wade repeal

The Affirmative action repeal case still going on

If the action is deemed unconstitutional by the supreme court, it's reversed immediately.

I don't really understand what you are saying, but these are the points;

1. Nigeria laws and US laws are not the same. Both countries don't operate the same constitution. So, stop making baseless comparisons

2. The Supreme court made a mistake like the write up said. Their order is hollow and empty as the CBN that introduced the new Naira notes wasn't a party to the suit.
Re: Malami Asks Supreme Court To Dismiss State’s Lawsuit On Naira Redesign by Nobody: 7:05am On Feb 09, 2023
GreyLaw:

How people like throwback, Seunmsg - who actually write proper English - are supporting Tinubu is beyond reason; it beggars belief! It just shows that education doesn't touch the inner recesses of the unrenewed heart of man.

Ma nigga.. cool!

Your brain dey burst my brain!
Re: Malami Asks Supreme Court To Dismiss State’s Lawsuit On Naira Redesign by Nobody: 7:08am On Feb 09, 2023
haffaze777:
Malami don win any case before?

Maybe not.

But he's your Attorney General and as it stands, has a much significant say on this issue than you and I.

Na the gbedu wey una APC dey play for us be this.. grin
Re: Malami Asks Supreme Court To Dismiss State’s Lawsuit On Naira Redesign by Mitsurugi(m): 7:10am On Feb 09, 2023
seunmsg:
The court will hear the case on 15th February and adjourn for response of the prosecution to the submission of the respondent till February ending. Finally, judgement will be entered March ending. By then, even the CBN will no longer be interested in the Naira redesign as the political gain they intend to achieve would have been defeated. For now, old and new notes remains legal tender till February 15th.

Keep your old notes then. The fly that enters the grave with the corpse.

1 Like

Re: Malami Asks Supreme Court To Dismiss State’s Lawsuit On Naira Redesign by DMerciful(m): 7:12am On Feb 09, 2023
The masses have been suffering since 2015!
backtovillage:
Wetin dey happen for this country I no understand. The masses are suffering from this power tussle
Re: Malami Asks Supreme Court To Dismiss State’s Lawsuit On Naira Redesign by IMMUNO1(m): 7:12am On Feb 09, 2023
Please, spend or deposit your old naira today. We will be better as a people after these. I don't see darkness prevailing this time around. They don't care about you and I, they only care about the money they need to rig these elections which has been stashed in different mansions for years.
Re: Malami Asks Supreme Court To Dismiss State’s Lawsuit On Naira Redesign by Nobody: 7:13am On Feb 09, 2023
seunmsg:

Lol.

Your reasoning can sometimes be infuriating. Even more so, because you're perceived by some of us to be intelligent, even when we stand on opposing political divides. The old notes will cease to be legal tender by February 10th, because the Supreme Court order is as of this moment, non-binding. That you're seeking to twist the situation of things just to get an extra five days atop the stipulated deadline, portrays you from a mischievous standpoint.

2 Likes

Re: Malami Asks Supreme Court To Dismiss State’s Lawsuit On Naira Redesign by Upworkwriter007(f): 7:13am On Feb 09, 2023
Penguin2:

Garfield1
Afamed
Are you for real....The supreme court has jurisdiction on dispute between states and the federal government on the interpretation of the law. On this, the argument is that the CBN is legally bound to at all times accept every legal tender it issues. At all times.
Re: Malami Asks Supreme Court To Dismiss State’s Lawsuit On Naira Redesign by Iamgrey5(m): 7:16am On Feb 09, 2023
Amayabor1:

I don't really understand what you are saying, but these are the points;

1. Nigeria laws and US laws are not the same. Both countries don't operate the same constitution. So, stop making baseless comparisons

2. The Supreme court made a mistake like the write up said. Their order is hollow and empty as the CBN that introduced the new Naira notes wasn't a party to the suit.
The write up is legal opinion of the attorney general not the judgement of the supreme court.

So let the Supreme court interpret the laws and either agree or disagree with it.
Re: Malami Asks Supreme Court To Dismiss State’s Lawsuit On Naira Redesign by Hndrrxxx(m): 7:17am On Feb 09, 2023
davidtemi:

...and the attorney general office said it is wrong for supreme court to even have power to hear the case. So u are saying Malami does not knw wat he's saying, or what's ur point pls?
yeah you are saying the SC judges doesn’t know what they are doing or what’s your point??
Re: Malami Asks Supreme Court To Dismiss State’s Lawsuit On Naira Redesign by Buksaylor: 7:20am On Feb 09, 2023
post=120746910:
Naira Swap: AGF Asks Supreme Court To Dismiss State Governments’ Suit Challenging CBN’s Policy

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.channelstv.com/2023/02/08/naira-swap-agf-asks-supreme-court-to-dismiss-state-governments-suit-challenging-cbns-policy/amp/

That's why I love this guy!
Re: Malami Asks Supreme Court To Dismiss State’s Lawsuit On Naira Redesign by Amaggedon: 7:20am On Feb 09, 2023
Jflex07:
Let the game continue. Agbado urrchins go cry blood. Very useless things.. Let their god tinubu contest without buying votes,if he knows he is the Jagaban.
He will pay money and people won't still vote for him
Re: Malami Asks Supreme Court To Dismiss State’s Lawsuit On Naira Redesign by Amayabor1: 7:21am On Feb 09, 2023
Iamgrey5:
The write up is legal opinion of the attorney general not the judgement of the supreme court.

So let the Supreme court interpret the laws and either agree or disagree with it.

You don't need the supreme court to interprete anything for you. The suit was between the Governors of Kogi, Kaduna and zamfara and the Federal government. The CBN wasn't a party to the suit and so the judgement is not binding on CBN. A judgement can't be binding on you when you weren't part of the suit. This one is common sense!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Malami Asks Supreme Court To Dismiss State’s Lawsuit On Naira Redesign by senatordave1(m): 7:23am On Feb 09, 2023
vicdom:

That's my fear! Those useless SC justices might adjourn the case for another day, probably after the election.
I don't want parties throwing money up and down in the name of vote buying. I just want free and fair election.

What do you mean you dont want vote buying? It is not your biz or the business of CBN but that of the security
Re: Malami Asks Supreme Court To Dismiss State’s Lawsuit On Naira Redesign by Ken4Christ: 7:23am On Feb 09, 2023
Penguin2:

Garfield1
Afamed

But the judgment stands.
Re: Malami Asks Supreme Court To Dismiss State’s Lawsuit On Naira Redesign by Theoarhics: 7:24am On Feb 09, 2023
Arrangeee

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

FG In Talk With Niger Delta Militants – President Buhari / Governor Uzodinma Apologizes Over NLC President Attack / Saharareporters Attacks Melaye Over His "Made-In-Nigeria Women" Comment (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.