Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,553 members, 7,816,339 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:49 AM

Faith And Historicity Of Lore -What if the Buddha did not exist? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Faith And Historicity Of Lore -What if the Buddha did not exist? (2993 Views)

Perhaps Buddha Was Right About Jesus / The Historicity Of The Books Of The Bible - Reference: Daniel. / Ancient Black Buddha (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Re: Faith And Historicity Of Lore -What if the Buddha did not exist? by globexl: 7:22pm On Sep 12, 2011
Also, embracing an athiestic viewpoint is (for me) NOT a negation of spirituality nor the intuitive and common sense ethos that are universal to all humankind.
Re: Faith And Historicity Of Lore -What if the Buddha did not exist? by Ansel1(m): 11:18pm On Sep 12, 2011
To be sincere, if there was a History ar Archaelogy section on this forum, would you have rather raised this topic in those sections? I think not. And the reason no doubt is that you regard these factual inconsistencies to perhaps be fatal to a faith or belief system? I may be wrong in reaching that assumption, but if that is indeed your view, then all i seek to state is that factual inconsistencies of that nature are not necessaily sufficient to diminish a faith or belief system. Hence my example of a question regarding the Buddha.
If there was a biblical history or archaeology section on this forum of course i would have raised my topic there, why would you think otherwise ?

Indeed, and I have not called you an atheist, have I? I have simply asked if you think that these innacuracies serve to discredit a faith, and in some measure you responded in both the negative and the positive.
I believe Globexl in his most recent posting has dealt rather more eloquently with the answer to this question.

but what I seek to convey to you is for example as follows. . . Hinduism has hundreds of gods and goddesses. . . prove to a hindi man that many of them do not exist, and that may still take nothing away from the overall - superstructure of his faith

Precisely, the Hindi can afford to lose a few gods along the way, he has hundreds more to replace them. Christianity cannot.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Is Your View As To The Origin Of Life? / Catholic Priest Fathers Four Children / Why Did God Put The Tree Of Knowledge In The Garden Of Eden

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.