Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,334 members, 7,819,168 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:13 PM

Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? (7595 Views)

Recent Layoff Workers By All Nigeria Companies / An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? / Planned Massive Compulsory Retrenchment Of Workers By Intels Nigeria Limited (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by cicero(m): 6:33pm On Feb 14, 2023
It is inhuman for any business to prohibit tipping or withholding any kobo from their employees. Our labour laws should be amended to criminalize this evil and prosecute any company that does it.
Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by Annahh(f): 6:34pm On Feb 14, 2023
PrettyBolu:
I feel, in this present Nigeria where the cost of things have gone up badly, some companies will be paying N15,000 per month as salary. Most staffs receiving such low salaries survive by tips or begging. That's the truth. If a company seizes the tips given to staffs, I think it is wickedness.
Its not wickedness, taking those tips will stop the staff from being greedy, beggerly and money hungry, also it will stop them from treating some customers special cause they know they will get something in return, while also treating other customers anyhow cause they know those ones are not bouyant.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by dfrost: 6:37pm On Feb 14, 2023
PrettyBolu:

Have you worked in a company where you are not allowed to accept tips?

Have you worked in a company where the company seize tips given to staffs and add it to their profit? (I think this is stealing and wickedness)

Let's talk about tips

It helps to curtail bias and favouritism towards that particular customer.

In my former company, you will have to face a disciplinary panel to start with.

Two colleagues left the company owing to mishandling gift vouchers to clients.
Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by Omoawoke: 6:38pm On Feb 14, 2023
Bahamas95:
OP it's worse than wickedness, that's witchcraft in broad daylight.

I don't tolerate nonsense, I go burst person head.

as in ehn, why seize tips...some companies wicked oo
Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by Omoawoke: 6:39pm On Feb 14, 2023
Annahh:
Its not wickedness, taking those tips will stop the staff from being greedy, beggerly and money hungry, also it will stop them from treating some customers special cause they know they will get soemthing in return, while also treating other customers anyhow cause they know those ones are not bouyant.

las las, na slave work.. Keep people in chains...

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by Offpoint1: 6:48pm On Feb 14, 2023
Seize my tips and I steal your shxts...
Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by LORDKing001: 6:50pm On Feb 14, 2023
YoungLionken:
Before now, I would have said it was wrong to seize tips from staff. But right now, it's one of the right things to do, as a company because;

1) Some of these staff beg too much (they literally beg all customers who come their way for service). Such would definitely discourage them from doing so..

2) Theft; It is a way of monitoring these staff that are criminally minded (you catch them, they tell you it's tips from customers...
Well said in paragraph one. Check Kada cinema for Benin. From entrance to the cinema point so so beg. Annoying

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by davillian(m): 6:51pm On Feb 14, 2023
Working in a place were staffs can receive tips
There should be a tip box
That would be shared every week or month..

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by Ashirioluwa: 6:59pm On Feb 14, 2023
It’s illegal for an employer to collect the tips given to employees.

Employers in Nigeria are evil, most of them behave the way they like, due to the unemployment rate in this country.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by Bfly: 7:02pm On Feb 14, 2023
Still pathetic whether they share the money among workers or doormen begs for tips.
Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by Yankee101: 7:06pm On Feb 14, 2023
You fit sue here
Why would they take your tips?
Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by djflexcy: 7:26pm On Feb 14, 2023
PrettyBolu:
I want us to talk about employers and how they handle the tips given to their staffs. I was reading through a thread on front page that talked about dropping your phones before resuming work. In that thread I saw a comment that attracted my attention. The person said he/she works for GT plaza. He said it is a fast food. He said the company collects the tips given to staffs. I want us to talk about this.

Have you worked in a company where the company seize tips given to staffs and add it to their profit? (I think this is stealing and wickedness)

Let's talk about tips

nlfpmod
Chicken republic also does this

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by Peacefulgold(m): 7:32pm On Feb 14, 2023
If that is the company's policy ,then I will gladly reject all tips by customers,no matter how you persuade me ,I no go collect am ...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by hssd8nland: 7:34pm On Feb 14, 2023
PrettyBolu:
I want us to talk about employers and how they handle the tips given to their staffs. I was reading through a thread on front page that talked about dropping your phones before resuming work. In that thread I saw a comment that attracted my attention. The person said he/she works for GT plaza. He said it is a fast food. He said the company collects the tips given to staffs. I want us to talk about this.

Let's talk about tips

nlfpmod
Islamically if you are given tips you should inform the owner of the business if he gives you fine. First of all, you wouldn't get the tip if he didn't employ you, secondly, it will open room to corruption he is already paying you for your work and service.
Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by Reference(m): 7:47pm On Feb 14, 2023
PrettyBolu:
I feel, in this present Nigeria where the cost of things have gone up badly, some companies will be paying N15,000 per month as salary. Most staffs receiving such low salaries survive by tips or begging. That's the truth. If a company seizes the tips given to staffs, I think it is wickedness.

That is not the criteria. If not the police will be justified for demanding or receiving tips.
Generally tipping is industry related but will be determined by the business and/or the brand.
Most service delivery businesses will have well established rules about what is permitted or not.
Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by Reference(m): 7:51pm On Feb 14, 2023
Ashirioluwa:
It’s illegal for an employer to collect the tips given to employees.

Employers in Nigeria are evil, most of them behave the way they like, due to the unemployment rate in this country.

But you have to understand that tipping can also have adverse effects on a company or business as to how it manages customers/clients and staff relationships and can sometimes erode trust, equity and professionalism. It cannot and should not be acceptable in all cases and in Nigeria with very unstable business environment, every time.
Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by Jefferyhi86(m): 7:58pm On Feb 14, 2023
Gt fast food no wonder they keep looking for staff every now n then
Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by Roboto11: 8:06pm On Feb 14, 2023
When I worked in a restaurant in the UK during my postgraduate course, the tips went into a bowl and wad splut across all staff at the end of the month.
Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by Smartguyboy(m): 9:12pm On Feb 14, 2023
When I was working as a waiter the hotel manager explained to us that any tip’s customer give you should be handover to the accountant at the end of the week all staff working in the hotel will share it equally which is a very nice idea.
He said it’s very bad when someone give you tips as a waiter or receptionist because of the service rendered to him/she you should also remember the cook, gateman, porter , room service etc contributed to make the customer happiness for him/she to give you tips .
Just because you are the only one that get close to me doesn’t mean others did not contribute which for me make sense. We all agreed to handover any tips and record it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by Ashirioluwa: 9:18pm On Feb 14, 2023
Reference:

But you have to understand that tipping can also have adverse effects on a company or business as to how it manages customers/clients and staff relationships and can sometimes erode trust, equity and professionalism. It cannot and should not be acceptable in all cases and in Nigeria with very unstable business environment, every time.

They can just put a sign “NO TIPS” allowed than to steal the money that belongs to employees.

I know some employees are naturally beggars, especially if you go to airport in Nigeria
Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by PrettyBolu(f): 9:24pm On Feb 14, 2023
Reference:

That is not the criteria. If not the police will be justified for demanding or receiving tips.
Generally tipping is industry related but will be determined by the business and/or the brand.
Most service delivery businesses will have well established rules about what is permitted or not.

What are you saying? How can you demand tips? Police don't collect tips. They extort people. Police demanding money is extortion. You do not demand tips. Tips are given to you freely for rendering a good service. Demanding money is extortion and bribery. There is a BIG difference between that and tips.
Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by ChohuRigwe: 10:42pm On Feb 14, 2023
PrettyBolu:
I have worked in one of the fast growing quick service restaurant in west Africa Chicken republic they don't allow their staff to collects tips from customers
If u are caught u will be sacked esp if the manager on duty is aware of it u will be saved

Let's talk about tips

nlfpmod
Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by ChohuRigwe: 10:52pm On Feb 14, 2023
djflexcy:

Chicken republic also does this
Yes I was once a staff in that company
But I used to hide it from the managers
And sometimes I will politely tell the customers to keep it cause it might cost me my job
Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by remsonik(f): 11:24pm On Feb 14, 2023
A lot of bank tellers, shoprite staffs especially the ones in the kitchen and bakery get a lot of tips which they don't want their ogas to know or see cos it will reduce the love for them and the job/service temperature will not be nice for them anymore.

The ones in the same dept share their tips amongst themselves and go home every day with a full pocket

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by Makamatic: 12:04am On Feb 15, 2023
🤗🤗
Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by Royysongz: 12:39am On Feb 15, 2023
i worked in a hotel somewhere in Port Harcourt,i resigned last year. workers have to remit tips given by customers to the hotel,then by Christmas the money is being used in buying soft drinks (malt) for everyone.
the believe is that a customers satisfaction is a chain reaction,it starts from the gateman who opens the gate for the guest to the Chef in the kitchen, a Chef in the kitchen does not have access to the guest so how does he get rewarded for cooking a good meal he prepared ?..but because the waiter Is opportune to serve the guest and gets a tip he pockets the money all to himself and the chef gets nothing.. That's the reason tips are being remitted to the hotel manager.
before workers resume for work in the morning you have to sign in the amount you have with you and when going you sign out the same amount and you are also thoroughly searched at the gate,if any money is found on you either by mistake or intentionally that doesn't coincides with what you sign in.....Bro you are sacked.

but on a normal day boys the carry money pass without issue.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by Bullhari: 3:31am On Feb 15, 2023
PrettyBolu:

Let's talk about tips

nlfpmod

I once work d in a fast food with similar rules. But we move mon y as much as we want. People have refused to use their brains now.

1. Gather money, what you have made or think you will make.
2. Invite w friend or sibling to come over and buy something.
3. Package the whole thinh as take away and give the person.

NB this is team work. Not a solo work. About 3 to 5 people are usually involved many times. Including supervisor when need be.

To make extra money, we sell some items like wines and books. Have it bought at cheaper rate outside by same friends or relatives outside and brought in to us. We replace. We know how to block the CCTV. We know their positions and all.

People no dey use their senses again
Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by UnproudLife: 3:53am On Feb 15, 2023
As a company owner, that is new to me, but on getting to know about this, I will do it. I hate the way Nigerians work. Like they work for tips and over time give so much preferential treatment to certain customers and disregard some alot, to the tune of completely ghosting some of their company's customers.

Tips should be based on assessment of one's work ethic in diligence and not as Nigerians turn it to be like a begging and sentimentally sympathetic gesture.

Once I step outta my car at certain places and the security personnel who should be doing their job exhibits traits of working for tips I ignore them. And over time you notice they start ignoring even their basic duty to serve you cause you don't give tips. Yeye

There's a reason some companies instruct their staffs not to collect tips.
Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by UnproudLife: 4:03am On Feb 15, 2023
slimanyd:
Why would a company collect the tip I was freely given by a customer ? In that regards I don't see that company lasting long then. For this Nigeria wey we dey. Nah workers dey ruin company and nah same workers dey make a company success and that lies in the hands of the company owner.
Shey na same Nigeria wey we both dey? U neva hungry na why. Work wey people go run grab before u resign finish dem don replace u.
Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by UnproudLife: 4:20am On Feb 15, 2023
Bullhari:

I once work d in a fast food with similar rules. But we move mon y as much as we want. People have refused to use their brains now.

1. Gather money, what you have made or think you will make.
2. Invite w friend or sibling to come over and buy something.
3. Package the whole thinh as take away and give the person.

NB this is team work. Not a solo work. About 3 to 5 people are usually involved many times. Including supervisor when need be.

To make extra money, we sell some items like wines and books. Have it bought at cheaper rate outside by same friends or relatives outside and brought in to us. We replace. We know how to block the CCTV. We know their positions and all.

People no dey use their senses again
See people wey dey complain of the government. Are you not worse? U go still pay one way or the other. Stealing from company.
Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by Bullhari: 4:36am On Feb 15, 2023
UnproudLife:

See people wey dey complain of the government. Are you not worse? U go still pay one way or the other. Stealing from company.

I will not pay anything again. I was paying with my sweat then. Do you know that I was being paid ₦6400 as salary? When offer was ₦10,000? I was placed on probation and never left probation till I resigned. Do you know how much we suffer to make huge gains for a greedy soul?

Sometimes wines sold for ₦1200 outside goes for as high as #10000 in the restaurant. And the same wine is sold at different prices in the bar, restaurant and VIP bar. Same drink, 3 different prices in the same compound. So I can easily serve the bar in VIP, den restock from the normal bar.

I was being exploited. I was searched while leaving despite having b en n cleared by the accountant.

If there is lose, I pay from my salary, if there is gain, they take it.
Re: Is It Right For A Company To Seize The Tips Given To Workers By Customers? by UnproudLife: 4:57am On Feb 15, 2023
Bullhari:

I will not pay anything again. I was paying with my sweat then. Do you know that I was being paid ₦6400 as salary? When offer was ₦10,000? I was placed on probation and never left probation till I resigned. Do you know how much we suffer to make huge gains for a greedy soul?

Sometimes wines sold for ₦1200 outside goes for as high as #10000 in the restaurant. And the same wine is sold at different prices in the bar, restaurant and VIP bar. Same drink, 3 different prices in the same compound. So I can easily serve the bar in VIP, den restock from the normal bar.

I was being exploited. I was searched while leaving despite having b en n cleared by the accountant.

If there is lose, I pay from my salary, if there is gain, they take it.

See sometimes it's unfair. Employer get him reward and employee sef get him own. As much as I no be saint I thank God I never copied my colleague those years I used to work at apapa port cause I later restituted the little I did..

My boss Amper fit full one parlour and my colleague dey wisk am anyhow with gift bags of rice. Omoh reward dey for anybody one way or the other o.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kaduna State College Of Education Vacancies. / Information Technology Training / Ongoing Nationwide Recruitment At Nestlé Nigeria Plc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.